HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do our players keep their head up too much?

Old
03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
wadesworld

vCash: 500
Do our players keep their head up too much?

One thing I've been wondering about.

Our team seems to consistently have issues with crisp passing, fanned passes, missed passes, fanned one-timers, fanned clears, etc.

I'm sure hockey players are taught to keep their head up, so they can focus on their target, make sure there's a shooting lane, and not get drilled by a defender. However, it's made me wonder if they're not focusing on it a bit too much. Like other sports, wouldn't the right thing be to look the puck onto your stick, and then look up?

I realize they're professsional hockey players and some will probably make disparaging remarks that I'd wonder such a thing. But, as I watch us miss and miss, I can't help wondering.

Anyone else ever wondered if we're not looking at the puck enough?

Last edited by wadesworld: 03-28-2012 at 09:18 PM.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:42 PM
hockey diva

I think it is because we just aren't that good a passing team. Detroit is because they focus on that skill in drafting and developing their players. The poor passing on this team has bugged me for a long time.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:46 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post

Our team seems to consistently have issues with crisp passing, fanned passes, missed passes, fanned one-timers, fanned clears, etc.

I'm sure hockey players are taught to keep their head up, so they can focus on their target, make sure there's a shooting lane, and not get drilled by a defender. However, it's made me wonder if they're not focusing on it a bit too much. Like other sports, wouldn't the right thing be to look the puck onto your stick, and then look up?

I realize they're professsional hockey players and some will probably make disparaging remarks that I'd wonder such a thing. But, as I watch us miss and miss, I can't help wondering.

not IMO, your supposed to look at surroundings, find either an outlet pass or space to move too, then when you grab the puck your already 1 step ahead. I see suter do it all the time along with plenty others. its how players see what theyre gunna do before they get the puck. It is always the right choice IMO. not all of our players can make radulov no look passes....to coin peter and terrys favorite saying, keep your head on a swivel. i know some of you think its cheesey but its the most basic hockey sense. Halischuk is one of the better at it IMO.

EDIT: also another HUGE reason to look before you go is thats how you save yourself from getting kronwall'd...

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
predfan24

Not quite sure what your asking. Usually players are looking at the puck when they receive the puck or retrieveing the puck and then they look up. Passes aren't goin to be any crisper if your looking down at the puck as you pass. The NHL is so fast unless the guy your passing too is standing still your not likely going to hit your target. Also as already mentioned the NHL moves too fast players don't have time to look at their target, then back down at the puck and then back at their target most the time.

Also like you said don't forget these guys are Pros. Handling and passing the puck comes second nature to these guys.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

They know what they're doing, we just aren't as skilled and crisp top to bottom as some teams. They don't even think twice about whether to look up or down at the puck at any given moment. They just do what their instincts say.

Just realized the last poster said that.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:20 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post

Have you ever played yourself?

You look at the puck when you recieve it. But then you feel it on your stick(they still glance at it to make sure it is there) you don't need to look at it when you pass it or shoot it, unless it is a one timer. You also look at it when you dangle.
And if they have any issues, it is not because of head been up, it just pure skill luck...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:10 AM
VFL615*

From what i have seen getting a pass of from one player to another has not been a problem. It is the recieving player who has trouble collected the puck on the stick and keeping it on it under control.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote