HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers @ Jets - 3/28/2012

Old
03-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by js10 View Post
..until the next loss anyway, great and exciting game tonight!!
Not really, they have given themselves some breathing room. They just can't lose like 3 in a row. Granted we have been lucky that Pitt has stumbled.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Giacomin

I like that the Rangers are playing strong down the stretch.
LGR!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

anyone know why the fans were booing Richards every time he touched the puck? couldnt really figure that out...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:22 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
If the Icelanders can pull off the impossible and beat the Pens tomorrow again then I think will have the #1 seed all but locked up.
No, don't say that.

We're playing Montreal who always seem to have our number. Both Boston and Philly have not won a game against us and I expect them to really play with a chip on their shoulder.

Then of course, there's Pittsburgh.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
anyone know why the fans were booing Richards every time he touched the puck? couldnt really figure that out...
Good question, no idea.

Course they booed Jagr earlier in the season, I have no idea why they did that either. I think they just boo the stars on the other team. I don't mind it, their home ice.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Apparently my sister has won tickets twice in the last week from Bluehshirts United but hasn't checked her emails. She got an email tonight from them but it doesn't directly say we won. Anyone familiar with how this works?

edit- ok, apparently she has been put into another pool but hasn't won anything yet.

Last edited by Bob Richards: 03-28-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 489
Quote:
Winnipeg always boo's the "best" player of the away team.

When Caps were there they chanted "Crosby's better".

Happens for all the teams they play. Thats why I was interested in this matchup, cause I couldn't remember who got the treatment in our first meeting.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Yeah, I was going to comment on that. Real amateur hour among the Winnipeg beat writer. Lazy question, and I am not at all shocked with Torts reaction. Real stupid.

I thought the Rangers looked like the Rangers in the second half. Their forecheck was a lot more visible, and good at getting pucks deep in the zone.

Our D played well for the most part. No Major mistakes, cept on the second goal.

Hank was solid, kinda think the first goal was soft(don't even try it with the Del Zoto stick deflection, the puck was shot low, the puck deflected low between the wickets; Hank should have had that). That second goal was stupid blown coverage from Cally I believe(who had a great game outside of the brain fart).

PP looked solid. Boyle finally scores a goal by using his size(take note Brandon). If Boyle can just shoot and drive to the net, he can pot some goals.

Rangers are back in the driver seat.
It wasn't even a shot. Machacek was passing to the Jet player driving to the goal and when Lundqvist was starting to slide over it was deflected right between his legs. Just watched it on nhl.com a few times..

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Winnipeg always boo's the "best" player of the away team.

When Caps were there they chanted "Crosby's better".

Happens for all the teams they play. Thats why I was interested in this matchup, cause I couldn't remember who got the treatment in our first meeting.
heh, kinda funny. figure they woulda booed Gabby then....he's our best player.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
It wasn't even a shot. Machacek was passing to the Jet player driving to the goal and when Lundqvist was starting to slide over it was deflected right between his legs. Just watched it on nhl.com a few times..
Shot or pass attempt, it doesn't really matter. The fact is the puck carrier was on the outside and the puck released at an angle that Lundy should have had. The puck was moving low, and it deflected low. Not all deflections are unstoppable and impossible to predict. If the puck elevated from the deflection, I would put no blame on Hank. Hank was in the right position, but didn't cover his five hole. If that was Biron we would have all crucified him.

There is no major defensive breakdown in that play.

Besides the one softie, Hank had a very solid game. He made a couple key saves when we needed him to.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Levitate

Lundqvist bet in pass, was sold by the guy looking cross crease.

Not sure it was really a pass, it didn't change direction off Del Zotto's stick that much. Maybe a flubbed pass

Rangers bad start was solely because of all the PKing they did. Once they stopped taking penalties they controlled the game for the most part

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Yeah, thats why I put best in " ", cause I was expecting it to be Gaborik. But after last nights game in Minny, maybe Winnipeg had a heart and picked Richards tonight.

Old
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Guy: Is there a reason why there was only 1 ast coach on the bench tonight?

Torts: Who's bench our bench?

Guy: Yeah

Torts: I don't know the answer to that, thats what we have. What the hell kind of question is that?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Haha, love his facial expressions during that.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Rangers post-game audio

Rangers: Lundqvist, Callahan, Boyle and coach Tortorella.

To listen click here.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Stepanformayor*

I thought Stepan had a very strong game again tonight. I don't think he gets enough credit for the little things he does for this team. He had a great pk block tonight and does a great job on the defensive side of the puck every night!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Shot or pass attempt, it doesn't really matter. The fact is the puck carrier was on the outside and the puck released at an angle that Lundy should have had. The puck was moving low, and it deflected low. Hank was in the right position, but didn't cover his five hole. If that was Biron we would have all crucified him.

There is no major defensive breakdown in that play.
It doesn't matter if it's a shot or pass? If it's a pass Hank has to start sliding over to either break it up or get over for the save leaving the 5 hole uncovered. Even If it was a shot it was clearly going far side off the stick, which is why Hank was sliding over anyway, but the angle was changed by DZ. I wouldn't blame anyone really. MDZ is trying to block a cross ice pass and just doesn't get enough of it... Does every goal need to be off of either a major defensive breakdown or a softie?

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Shakey Rustie
1L

vCash: 1077
We boo one player on the other team the whole game. I don't know why we boo, but we boo nonetheless (granted the wind in our sails pretty much left a week ago). Maybe after spending ridiculous prices for beer and having to wait half an hour in line to relieve the pressure we get angry, I don't know.

Best of luck the rest of the way though.

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
It doesn't matter if it's a shot or pass? If it's a pass Hank has to start sliding over to either break it up or get over for the save leaving the 5 hole uncovered. Even If it was a shot it was clearly going far side off the stick, which is why Hank was sliding over anyway, but the angle was changed by DZ. I wouldn't blame anyone really. MDZ is trying to block a cross ice pass and just doesn't get enough of it...
Hank shouldn't have to worry about the cross crease at all. Two Dmen are back, one guy covering the Jet driving to the net on the right side. Del Z cuts the lane off of the puck carrier(keeps him on the outside).

The puck was never really endanger from the cross crease. From Hanks positioning, he wasn't worrying about the cross crease either(he never gave the outside post). He just didn't keep his five hole closed.

You only really have to worry about the cross crease as a goalie when the opposing team has numbers. The Jets did not on that play.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Tawnos

I did not watch that game with anything close resembling live. I can't even imagine what the GDT was like when we were down 2-0.

Anyway, good solid win. They were doing a good job withstanding the hometeam pressure in the first period. A bad bounce got to them on the first goal, but that was made up by two good ones (puck coming to Del Zotto short handed, Pavelec leaning on the Boyle goal). This is the type of game the Rangers play... just find a way to win.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:58 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePuck View Post
9-2-2 in the 2nd half of back-to-back games......impressive !!
Tortorella's tough training camp and emphasis on conditioning pays off.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
They should have played a full 60 minutes like that, against Winnipeg.

Yes, it was a back-to-back, and March has been rough, but 30 minutes efforts aren't going to cut it against top playoff teams.

They've still got to take their game up a notch.
That's crap. A final 30 minutes on the road like that is good enough to beat almost every team, top in the league or not. This is exactly how you win road games in the playoffs. Withstand the initial onslaught by keeping it tied or at least close. Turn the tide as the game moves along.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
That's crap. A final 30 minutes on the road like that is good enough to beat almost every team, top in the league or not. This is exactly how you win road games in the playoffs. Withstand the initial onslaught by keeping it tied or at least close. Turn the tide as the game moves along.
I agree the Rangers pretty much dominated that second half to a tee. The only real problem they had was that they didn't really sustain any offensive pressure in the first(they were solid defensively though).

They took WAY too many penalties though early in the second period. That was the only weak part of their game.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:04 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Or Mitchell

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
We boo one player on the other team the whole game. I don't know why we boo, but we boo nonetheless (granted the wind in our sails pretty much left a week ago). Maybe after spending ridiculous prices for beer and having to wait half an hour in line to relieve the pressure we get angry, I don't know.

Best of luck the rest of the way though.
I wonder, how do you decide on that player? What if half the fans wanted to boo Gaborik and half want to boo Richards? How does it get synchronized?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote