Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
More and more reason to hate on Noel. I've been saying this all year. He really is NOT a good coach.

Machacek continues to impress. It will be disgusting if he doesn't get a full time spot next year.
I think it's fine if you dislike Noel, I can respect that. But let's be serious, he took a pretty well identical team to last years Thrashers to game #75-76 with realistic playoff hopes. This is 98% the same Thrashers team that was the 6th worst team in the NHL just 12 months ago. Think about that for a minute.

This coaching staff, with Noel leading the way, has done a pretty damn good job. I would sincerely hope you could put your hate aside and see/admit as much.

Last edited by Guerzy: 03-28-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
dgorsk

vCash: 500
Quote:
This.

We need a coach who can get fired up. I wasn't a huge Bob Hartley fan, but that was one thing he brought to this team. He got downright pissed when the team screwed up. Noel just pops a losenge.

Too bad the Leafs hired Carlyle. He's exactly the type of coach this team needs. Toronto would honestly be better off with a Noel type coach.
Leafs have lost 9 of the last 13, damn i wish we had this miracle worker that carlyle is. We would have #1 draft pick for sure. Some of you ppl make me

Old
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think Kane is being held back by Burmi and Wellwood.

Burmi isn't ready for second line duties yet and Wellwood isn't a top six forward on a good team.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
JetsFan815

People are ignoring the reality when talking about the 4th line. That first Rangers goal was directly a result of Stapleton being weak on the puck and Callahan being easily able to out-muscle him for the puck. The Callahan line seemed to be out for every other shift in the third, the matchups just weren't there for Noel. Let's chill and stop taking the frustration out on Noel.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Vapour Trails

The NYR may be the better team, but they didn't play particularly well tonight. The Jets pooped the bed in game they should have been able to lock down once up 2-0. The Rangers aren't exactly an offensive juggernaut.

The first and third goals against the Jets were weak ones. I have no idea why Mason isn't in the net considering the Jets are done. Pavelec is clearly burnt out and becoming quite porous.

Once down 3-2, the Jets were dreaming of a cold beer and warm golf course.

3-7 down the stretch. The Jets now need to win 3 of the last 5 to better last year's point total. Essentially there has been no improvement of this team from a year ago. My concern is a year from today we will be lamenting another 10th place (or worse) finish.

Last edited by Vapour Trails: 03-28-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

Burmi isn't ready for second line duties yet and Wellwood isn't a top six forward on a good team.
Pretty much. Kane needs a Wheeler-type on his line. Burmi made one good play for Kane which Kane missed. A guy like Kane should be getting several of those passes from his line mates per game.

Old
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

Was it after the goal against, where Stapes was weak behind the net, when Noel stopped playing the 4th line?

Old
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I understand Tortorella stopped playing his 4th line, but Noel still could have rewarded Machacek with more icetime on one of the top lines.

We began the game outshooting the Rangers what, 17-5 or something? After that the Rangers took it to us and outshot us 25-5 or something brutal like that.

There is no reason Machacek couldn't have at least been rewarded for his solid play. I don't want to make a huge deal over it, but I do find it a bit unfortunate that a young guy like this plays quite well and isn't rewarded with any respectable minutes.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:58 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

Absolutely. I love Burmi but he's not even on a contending team's roster at this point. Wellwood is a decent tweener.

Going into the next season... I try to move some defense to get a 1st line player. We got a real good second line in Ladd-Little-Wheeler... then Kane. That's about it in terms of top six players.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Pretty much. Kane needs a Wheeler-type on his line. Burmi made one good play for Kane which Kane missed. A guy like Kane should be getting several of those passes from his line mates per game.
I don't think anyone can play with Kane. I've seen him do the same thing over and over this year. Has the puck in the neutral zone, puts his head down and goes for it and 9 times out of 10 nothing comes out of it.

Wellwood isn't top 6 but can do the things that can make him a solid utility player that can play 2nd line minutes.

Burmistrov just needs more time and knowledge of the game. That and some strength conditioning and not one minded linemates like Kane, and he'll flourish like he did with Wellwood and Antropov. All players made the plays to get the puck in the net, regardless of who was scoring. Kane is too selfish in my opinion.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:05 PM
IMckay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I think it's fine if you dislike Noel, I can respect that. But let's be serious, he took a pretty well identical team to game #75-76 with realistic playoff hopes. This is 98% the same Thrashers team that was the 6th worst team in the NHL just 12 months ago. Think about that for a minute.

This coaching staff, with Noel leading the way, has done a pretty damn good job. I would sincerely hope you could put your hate aside and see/admit as much.

Also, it's worth mentioning, this was done with significant injuries to key players this year.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Potrzebie

Ah well, it's gonna be a nice spring. Time to get outside!

Old
03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatay Farlo View Post
I don't think anyone can play with Kane. I've seen him do the same thing over and over this year. Has the puck in the neutral zone, puts his head down and goes for it and 9 times out of 10 nothing comes out of it.

Wellwood isn't top 6 but can do the things that can make him a solid utility player that can play 2nd line minutes.

Burmistrov just needs more time and knowledge of the game. That and some strength conditioning and not one minded linemates like Kane, and he'll flourish like he did with Wellwood and Antropov. All players made the plays to get the puck in the net, regardless of who was scoring. Kane is too selfish in my opinion.
Kane's the best player on that line, he constantly drives the puck to the net whereas Burmistrov as of late dances around with the puck playing east-west and thereafter being quickly dispossessed. Wellwood has been Mr Invisible lately. It's irrelevent what Burmi *MIGHT* be, it's what he is. Burmi is not NHL ready whereas Kane is a solid NHL player. That alone should end the discussion.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCalgary63 View Post
One thing to consider, while I think the 4th line should've got more icetime, Torts benched his 4th line early into the game. To Noel's defence (partially) he probably didn't like the matchups of our 4th not vs. the rangers 4th
Well if that is the case then Noel got out coached matching lines, and he had last change!!!!!!!! just sayin

Old
03-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

On the brighter side of things,

a new season of Swamp People started just in time

Old
03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
sully1410

Quote:
This.

We need a coach who can get fired up. I wasn't a huge Bob Hartley fan, but that was one thing he brought to this team. He got downright pissed when the team screwed up. Noel just pops a losenge.

Too bad the Leafs hired Carlyle. He's exactly the type of coach this team needs. Toronto would honestly be better off with a Noel
type coach.
To WPG: Randy Carlyle

To TOR: Claude Noel + 2nd

So....

Hockey pool anyone?

Old
03-28-2012, 10:15 PM
duckyjets

We need bigger forwards and more gritty Defense. When Boyle walked out from behind the net untouched a puked in my mouth.

The Callahan Goal was brutal too the defense watched him put it from his backhand to his fore hand then let him shoot.

I think your going to see guys like Wellwood Stapleton and Jones not resigned.

We need to get bigger and meaner.

As much as I like the GST line Slater is replaceable we have Cormier who is ready. Mahachek seems like he's also ready to play on the checking line.

I think Slater has played his way off the team because of how well he has done. His agent is going to be asking for a substatial raise I don't see the jets giving him what he wants.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
Was it after the goal against, where Stapes was weak behind the net, when Noel stopped playing the 4th line?
Stapes was behind the Jets net because of a bad giveaway at the blue line on the PP, Little and Stapleton were the 2 guys on the blue line at the time. not much defense there

Old
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Winnipeg Jets post-game audio

Jets audio from: Bryan Little, Tanner Glass and Zach Bogosian.

To listen click here.

Host Drew Mindell and Analyst Richard Pollock break down all the action in the postgame podcast.

To listen to the podcast click here.

Last edited by ICdave: 03-28-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
duckyjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
To WPG: Randy Carlyle

To TOR: Claude Noel + 2nd

So....

Hockey pool anyone?
Scott Arniel is available lol....

Old
03-28-2012, 10:20 PM
jetkarma

The lack of real talent is becoming more evident as the season ends. That isn't bad ( it isn't good of course ) it just is what it is.

We talk about patience and we will need it . Right now I would not put the odds of the Jets making the playoffs next year at 50/50. Some players are better and some are worse. Please don't start on the "hating" comments it is just being honest and realistic in the evaluation of the team and individual players.

Look up and down the roster , some "name" players are not at all performing to anywhere close what some expected and there are some players that simply aren't at a level where they make a positive difference.

One year down , one more , and then we should expect playoffs. We need to get better everywhere, start by drafting well , make one or two astute trades and add some solid support pieces from free agency. Love that we have our team back , but we are not playoff material...yet.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Absolutely. I love Burmi but he's not even on a contending team's roster at this point. Wellwood is a decent tweener.

Going into the next season... I try to move some defense to get a 1st line player. We got a real good second line in Ladd-Little-Wheeler... then Kane. That's about it in terms of top six players.
I don't care what sort of hockey player they are, we need to trade for a grown-up who can settle the team down on the ice when they start to tank. The team needs a mature leader who won't let these collapses keep happening. Jets' problems are psychological, not so much actual talent. That's why it's so frustrating: they're actually as good as all but the elite teams and capable of beating those teams as well (as they have numerous times this season).

Did I see that Kane was third star? Why? No Jet deserved a star tonight except maybe Pavelec for not walking out once they let the Rangers get a shooting gallery going. Buff was okay too. Tortorella did an amazing job talking his team into a matching set of power-plays.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:22 PM
leafster7
Leafs and Jets fan

The sad thing is that the Jets will miss the playoffs and not get a top 3 pick. Right now, they are hovering between 8-12 on the draft list.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

looks like after all that we are going to end up with the same record that the thrashers had last season.....assuming a 1-4 finish, which is more than probable.

we could easily end up with a lottery pick.....i say we go for it at this point.

watch, we will luck into #1 and pass on yukupov to take some dude that nobody's ever heard of projected to go 17th.

just kidding just kidding.

anyways...super fun season.....i pin a lot of the failure on noel in the end.

hopefully they actually try and make the team better this off season....no excuses anymore...they know what needs to be done.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:25 PM
denniscasa
Blues Bandwagon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafster7 View Post
The sad thing is that the Jets will miss the playoffs and not get a top 3 pick. Right now, they are hovering between 8-12 on the draft list.
The jets can still drop to a #5 pick if this losing streak continues .

Closed Thread