HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

My off season game plan for the Leafs

Old
03-28-2012, 05:35 PM
DougGilmour93

vCash: 500
My off season game plan for the Leafs

Seven moves to help steer the Leafs in the right direction.

1)
To Vancouver: Clarke MacArthur + Luke Schenn + 2nd in 2012

To Toronto: Mason Raymond + Cory Schneider

2)
To Los Angeles: 1st in 2012 (currently 5th overall) + Joey Crabb

To Toronto: Dustin Brown

3)
To San Jose: Nazem Kadri/Joe Colborne + Colby Armstrong + Cody Franson

To Toronto: Joe Pavelski

4) Sign UFA Justin Schultz

5) Sign UFA Travis Moen

6) Buy-out Tim Connolly

7) Waive Matthew Lombardi

2012-2013 Line-up

Lupul - Pavelski - Kessel
D.Brown - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - Bozak - Raymond
M.Brown - Steckel - Moen

(Ex F= Kadri/Colborne)

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Schultz
Komisarek - Liles

(Ex D= Holzer/Blaker

Schneider
Reimer

Constructive criticism welcome

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:42 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

1) Leafs should add something else. Maybe Tyler Biggs?

2) Can't see Los Angeles wanting to trade Brown. I would think they'd trade Williams first.

3) SJ fans have constantly said that Pavelski is the least of their problems in San Jose and he isn't available. Believe me, I've tried in my trade proposals for him. Even so, that's not a great package for him.

4) I'm not so sure Schultz will sign in Toronto, especially if they keep Franson. If you don't want him, Islanders will happily take him

5-7) Nothing wrong with those.

EDIT: Post 11,111. Nice.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post

1)

2)

3)

5) Sign UFA Travis Moen

6) Buy-out Tim Connolly

2012-2013 Line-up

M.Brown - Steckel - Moen

(Ex F= Kadri/Colborne)

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Schultz
Komisarek - Liles

(Ex D= Holzer/Blaker

Schneider
Reimer

yikes ... that deal is brutal ... top 5 pick for Brown ... no thanks

the rest are alright i guess, i'd do them ... not sure if other teams would though

no need for Raymond on the 3rd line ... i'd flip him for a 3rd line hitter

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Campoli2Burrows

2, 4, and 5 are the only ones I could see happening. Canucks would politely decline the first deal as we have no need for any of those three pieces and could find much better quality in a deal elsewhere.

Campoli2Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:

1)

2)

3)

5) Sign UFA Travis Moen

6) Buy-out Tim Connolly

2012-2013 Line-up

M.Brown - Steckel - Moen

(Ex F= Kadri/Colborne)

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Schultz
Komisarek - Liles

(Ex D= Holzer/Blaker

Schneider
Reimer

Glad you arent our GM.(1,2,6)

1. Schenn for Schneider is good value. Schenn may not be performing right now but under a different coach he will be better. We dont need to add MacArthur + 2nd for Raymond.

2. I wouldnt trade our 2012 1st for Brown straight up. We could draft an impact player- either Yakupov,Grigorenko, Dumba,Murray,Galchenyuk or Forsberg. Crabb is a good complimentary player.

3.I would do this in a heartbeat but SJS wouldn't.

4. I agree that this will happen.

5.Seems like a good move. I'd be ok, bring some sandpaper.

6.Someone will trade for Connolly. It will be a small return but someone will give something because he is a UFA. If Chicago doesnt hace a #2 centre at the deadline, Connolly could be a cheap stop gap.

7.I agree this should happen.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Loso

1. Vancouver likely says no.
2. No chance we're giving up a top 5 pick for Brown, and why would they want Crabb? Also LA is not rebuilding.
3. SJ says no, plus I'd rather take the chance that Kadri or Colborne becomes like Pavelski and keep Franson.
4. If possible sure.
5. Definitely a fan of that.
6. No point turning Connolly's contract into 2 years, he could have a bounce back next year. He's obviously a better player than Steckel, Armstrong, Crabb etc. There will be a lineup spot for him.
7. Possibly but I just don't see it happening. We'd have to be desperate for cap space. If we don't need the space, there are not 11 forwards better than Lombardi on this team, so he stays.

As a whole, your team is good but not significantly better than our current roster. Brown, Pavelski, etc are not the type of talent we're absolutely desperate for, they are not franchise forwards, which we may be able to get with our lottery pick.

Loso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
DougGilmour93

Thanks for the responses guys.

Feel free to tweek my proposals to make them a little more feasible.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Campoli2Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loso View Post
1. Vancouver likely says no.
2. No chance we're giving up a top 5 pick for Brown, and why would they want Crabb? Also LA is not rebuilding.
3. SJ says no, plus I'd rather take the chance that Kadri or Colborne becomes like Pavelski and keep Franson.
4. If possible sure.
5. Definitely a fan of that.
6. No point turning Connolly's contract into 2 years, he could have a bounce back next year. He's obviously a better player than Steckel, Armstrong, Crabb etc. There will be a lineup spot for him.
7. Possibly but I just don't see it happening. We'd have to be desperate for cap space. If we don't need the space, there are not 11 forwards better than Lombardi on this team, so he stays.

As a whole, your team is good but not significantly better than our current roster. Brown, Pavelski, etc are not the type of talent we're absolutely desperate for, they are not franchise forwards, which we may be able to get with our lottery pick.
Agreed on every point except 3. If you can make that deal then you have to make that deal.

Campoli2Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:02 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Pavelski to the Leafs has been discussed ad nauseam, and there really isn't anything that the two sides would be able to agree on as being fair.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Ricky Bobby

1. Bring Sundin out of retirement

2. Bring back Cujo

3. Have Roberts provide inspirational speeches

4. Have Burke wear a paper bag well watching games from his box

5. Take up drinking after I realize this team is still in a lot of trouble next year

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:07 PM
TieClark

Do not touch that 1st unless you're moving up in the draft or acquiring a legitimate superstar. Don't like the first trade either... far too much to give up for an unproven goaltender.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Pinchy

3rd-7th overall for Dustin Brown?

No thanks. This is how we got into this mess. Brown is worth a late first, not a lottery pick.

Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

You overpay for Dustin Brown, and way underpay in your deal for Pavelski.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:13 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Pavelski to the Leafs has been discussed ad nauseam, and there really isn't anything that the two sides would be able to agree on as being fair.
You could same thing about Schneider and the Canucks. As a Canuck fan I'd decline that deal, and going over the many Schneider/Toronto discussions, it's again a situation where there really isn't anything the two sides would agree on to be fair.

My guess is the same is true for Brown and the Kings.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Although I applaud the attempt, if Burke made moves like this he would be absolutely torn apart for cutting corners, trading draft picks and not rebuilding the traditional way. Our 1st can't be moved, we need to try and get that top end potential of a top-5 pick, we really lack that and Brown, IMO isn't that (although I think Toronto also needs a Brown-type player). I still don't think Schneider is the god that Vancouver fans make him out to be. On Toronto I doubt he does much better than the rest of our carousel of goaltenders. SJ won't move Pavelski either.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Could we get a list of teams that DO make good trade partners with? That list is probably super short.

There is nothing the TML have that the Sharks want unless it's high picks

Also, that Pavelski deal is brutal

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Leafs03

why are leafs fans keep throwing our picks away and than *****ing and complaing that we dont draft and ****.

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:47 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
why are leafs fans keep throwing our picks away and than *****ing and complaing that we dont draft and ****.

Well that would be because the OP is a quick fix kind of guy and has no patience. He cant see the bigger picture.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:07 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Well that would be because the OP is a quick fix kind of guy and has no patience. He cant see the bigger picture.
I should have been more clear. The basis of my proposals was the notion that Burke would be building this way to save his own butt. And in his defense, all the assets I suggested to trade for are young and have many years ahead of them. Kinda similar to his Phil Kessel trade. Trading teen youth (unproven picks) for proven early twenty somethings.

In defense of my own proposals...

1)
I agree that Vancouver might necessarily want thos particular assets (there is really no way of knowing either way) but value wise I thought it was on. IMO we slightly overpaid as Schenn has been somewhat stagnate and Schneider has had a great year, but still not a proven #1. Mac has more value than Raymond and we also threw in a 2nd in a deep draft.

2)
If I had it my way we'd trade up and draft Grigorenko, but I doubt that happens based on Burkes track record. I can almost guarentee that that pick will be dealt for immediate help. Dustin Brown offers a plethora of intagibles and is exactly what Burke would love to have. A big bruising, young, American, power forward with leadership written all over him.

3)
As for the 3rd deal I admit that I wasn't sure on the value. Pavelski himself has not had a memorable year (stat wise) and if SJ fails to make the playoffs (which I have no idea if that happens) I can see them "blowing things" up and making some personel moves. They've had the same core for quite some time. I also figured Thornton and Marleau were mainstays and Couture made Pavelski somewhat expendable. Again, Pavelski is American, something I'm sure Burke values. As for Kadri, he's definetely had his issues not making the big club, but at times looks brilliant and appears more than ready to make a name for himself. Franson, is a D man that really has played better than alot of people thought. He can shoot, hit, play responsible in his own end, and he can only get better.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Did you consider these deals from the opposing team's side of things (cap situation, prospects, needs, overall team situation etc)?

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
JoeLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
You overpay for Dustin Brown, and way underpay in your deal for Pavelski.
Brown for a 1st? Well, depends on the 1st rounder. Not sure if the Kings would bite. LA can sign Crabb on July 1st if they want him.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post
Brown for a 1st? Well, depends on the 1st rounder. Not sure if the Kings would bite. LA can sign Crabb on July 1st if they want him.
that 1st is top 5 ...

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:40 PM
superrich

Quote:
I should have been more clear. The basis of my proposals was the notion that Burke would be building this way to save his own butt. And in his defense, all the assets I suggested to trade for are young and have many years ahead of them. Kinda similar to his Phil Kessel trade. Trading teen youth (unproven picks) for proven early twenty somethings.

In defense of my own proposals...

1)
I agree that Vancouver might necessarily want thos particular assets (there is really no way of knowing either way) but value wise I thought it was on. IMO we slightly overpaid as Schenn has been somewhat stagnate and Schneider has had a great year, but still not a proven #1. Mac has more value than Raymond and we also threw in a 2nd in a deep draft.

2)
If I had it my way we'd trade up and draft Grigorenko, but I doubt that happens based on Burkes track record. I can almost guarentee that that pick will be dealt for immediate help. Dustin Brown offers a plethora of intagibles and is exactly what Burke would love to have. A big bruising, young, American, power forward with leadership written all over him.

3)
As for the 3rd deal I admit that I wasn't sure on the value. Pavelski himself has not had a memorable year (stat wise) and if SJ fails to make the playoffs (which I have no idea if that happens) I can see them "blowing things" up and making some personel moves. They've had the same core for quite some time. I also figured Thornton and Marleau were mainstays and Couture made Pavelski somewhat expendable. Again, Pavelski is American, something I'm sure Burke values. As for Kadri, he's definetely had his issues not making the big club, but at times looks brilliant and appears more than ready to make a name for himself. Franson, is a D man that really has played better than alot of people thought. He can shoot, hit, play responsible in his own end, and he can only get better.

1. It may be close value wise from Vancouver's perspective, but not from Toronto's. Schenn is a long-term building block for the Leafs, and as bad as he has looked this year, he is capable of playing much better than he has. Schenn will play much better under Carlyle's system. It would be a mistake to trade a 5th overall defenseman who is still as young as he is, especially when his value is low. Also, MacArthur for Raymond is pretty much a sideways move.

2. Brown is the type of player that the Leafs really want, but there is no way they are trading their #1 pick this year after giving Boston 2 great picks the last 2 years. This could be Burke's chance to draft a potential #1 center.

3. Pavelski is too important to the Sharks to trade away. Especially for pieces that do not help the Sharks now or in the near future. There isn't much from the Leafs that would interest San Jose at the expense of Pavelski.

superrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:46 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
1. Van doesn't do
2. Leafs dont do
3. SJS dont do
4. Yes
5. sure why not
6. He's a UFA at years end, why keep him on the books for more then necessary if we can just let him walk next offseason?
7. Probably can deal him to somewhere like Phoenix instead

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:54 PM
caley

Oh man, you guys don't wanna know what my offseason game plan for the Leafs was when I decided to run a season for them on my X-Box.

Let's just say outgoing were Dion Phaneuf, Cody Franson, Clarke MacArthur, Luke Schenn, Mike Komisarek, Jay Rosehill, Colton Orr, Mikhail Grabovski, Carl Gunnarsson, Jonas Gustavsson, James Reimer and incoming were Marian Gaborik, Nik Antropov, Bobby Ryan, Paul Gaustad, Matt Greene, Michael Bournival and a $9 milllion dollar a year Ryan Suter. Also, my goaltending tandem was Ray Emery and Cristobal Huet. I might actually have made the Leafs worse! Next thing you know I'll be doing irritated TV interviews with my tie untied and writing hate mail to Don Cherry!

caley is offline   Reply With Quote