Notices

Score a goal? Take a seat on the bench

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Guess I'm going to take the unpopular stance, and say I don't really get the Noel hate going on here. Yes, Maxwell-Stapes-Machacek looked good. They're also an energy line playing every shift with fresh legs. Yes, they created a goal, it was also one of the weakest goals I've ever seen Lundqvist give up.

It's easy to second guess things like line and goalie management when you lose. I'm still convinced that riding guys that have given you past success is usually the best course of action, rather than knee-jerk decisions based on a few good or bad shifts.

Maybe I'm missing something with Noel. Just seems like a lot of criticism when you're talking about a roster relatively thin on talent, experience and size.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:26 PM
sixty minute hockey

vCash: 500
Just spit balling here but maybe Noel doesn't play Macho and Maxwell much more is he might not want to rush them into the NHL like many of our players were (Bogo, Kane, Burmi).

Old
03-28-2012, 09:29 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
in other news, Selanne and the 'original' Winnipeg Jets got some love on NBC Sports tonight.

so, just throwing it out there.....can we draft him next year?!

Old
03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I just don't see any reason not to play them at this point.

The playoffs will not be happening so why not try to give the guys who will be fighting for roster spots in September some more time to see what they can do.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Shakey Rustie
1L

vCash: 1077
Apparently Antropov is going to travel on the roadtrip, interesting to see how he is used the rest of the year.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
"We want Spencer" chants were heard throughout the arena in the 3rd, and when the line got 2 shifts in the later half of the period we all cheered. And guess what the hell happened when they were on the ice??? 2 entire shifts in the Ranger zone. Durrrr.

03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
"We want Spencer" chants were heard throughout the arena in the 3rd, and when the line got 2 shifts in the later half of the period we all cheered. And guess what the hell happened when they were on the ice??? 2 entire shifts in the Ranger zone. Durrrr.
I was wondering if that's what those late cheers were about. Well done fans.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I was wondering if that's what those late cheers were about. Well done fans.
One really drunk-sounding guy kept trying to start it, worked a few times.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I think Kane is being held back by Burmi and Wellwood.

Burmi isn't ready for second line duties yet and Wellwood isn't a top six forward on a good team.
Been saying this for months but at some point Burmi has HAD to play some 2nd line minutes. He does good for awhile but then things slow down for him.

Wellwood would be an ideal 3rd line scoring winger on a good team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
People are ignoring the reality when talking about the 4th line. That first Rangers goal was directly a result of Stapleton being weak on the puck and Callahan being easily able to out-muscle him for the puck. The Callahan line seemed to be out for every other shift in the third, the matchups just weren't there for Noel. Let's chill and stop taking the frustration out on Noel.
The exact reason why I don't like having a guy like Stapleton out there on the PP. It finally bit us in the ass. Enstrom was trying to watch the guy in front of the net and then someone else comes in and there is no other forward around except Wellwood on the wrong side.

But why should Machacek and Maxwell be punished when they weren't even on the ice for their linemates mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Pretty much. Kane needs a Wheeler-type on his line. Burmi made one good play for Kane which Kane missed. A guy like Kane should be getting several of those passes from his line mates per game.
Yes, two guys that will try about 10 hard risky passes before they finally get one on someone's tape. Yeah, that's a good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I understand Tortorella stopped playing his 4th line, but Noel still could have rewarded Machacek with more icetime on one of the top lines.

We began the game outshooting the Rangers what, 17-5 or something? After that the Rangers took it to us and outshot us 25-5 or something brutal like that.

There is no reason Machacek couldn't have at least been rewarded for his solid play. I don't want to make a huge deal over it, but I do find it a bit unfortunate that a young guy like this plays quite well and isn't rewarded with any respectable minutes.
The Rangers can also afford to sit their 4th line. We can't and yet Noel has been doing it a lo lately and giving us some really good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatay Farlo View Post
I don't think anyone can play with Kane. I've seen him do the same thing over and over this year. Has the puck in the neutral zone, puts his head down and goes for it and 9 times out of 10 nothing comes out of it.

Wellwood isn't top 6 but can do the things that can make him a solid utility player that can play 2nd line minutes.

Burmistrov just needs more time and knowledge of the game. That and some strength conditioning and not one minded linemates like Kane, and he'll flourish like he did with Wellwood and Antropov. All players made the plays to get the puck in the net, regardless of who was scoring. Kane is too selfish in my opinion.
What Kane needs is exactly the first thing you said about Burmi. More time and knowledge of the game. He is extremely talented but at some point he has to be a smarter player. He'll get there. People just expect too much of him when he is still VERY young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyjets View Post
We need bigger forwards and more gritty Defense. When Boyle walked out from behind the net untouched a puked in my mouth.

The Callahan Goal was brutal too the defense watched him put it from his backhand to his fore hand then let him shoot.

I think your going to see guys like Wellwood Stapleton and Jones not resigned.

We need to get bigger and meaner.

As much as I like the GST line Slater is replaceable we have Cormier who is ready. Mahachek seems like he's also ready to play on the checking line.

I think Slater has played his way off the team because of how well he has done. His agent is going to be asking for a substatial raise I don't see the jets giving him what he wants.
We need some better 3rd liners. Add some size that way because we have the GST line or someone to replace those guys(not Slater).

Buff let Little take his spot and try and defend someone MUCH MUCH bigger then him. It's a clear mis-match and I don't know why Buff thinks he can skate all over like that.

Callahan was behind Hainsey because he's trying to cut down all of the angles and not let someone get an easy shot off in the slot.

Slater is NOT replaceable. You don't just replace one of the best faceoff guys in the league that can bring offense and play good defense. He's not a 4th line center. He is more so a 3rd line center but because of his role and the make up of the team he is playing on the 4th line.

What we need is more depth then anything.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Also being closer to the action tonight, I heard a lot of bad words. Most hilarious was when there was an icing that went through a couple Jets and Boyle was yelling at the linesman, linesman turned around while skating down the ice and basically yelled 'shut the **** up it's ****ing icing' back at him. And I could hear Torts in the 200s.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Well, I'm off the Burmi wagon, possibly for good. He's one of the guys I had a microscope on for a lot of the season. As much as I'd love to see a flashy, dynamic Russian lighting it up on this team and becoming a 1st liner, I don't think he's the guy.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
sully1410

I think we need to upgrade some of our players personally.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
denniscasa
Blues Bandwagon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Well, I'm off the Burmi wagon, possibly for good. He's one of the guys I had a microscope on for a lot of the season. As much as I'd love to see a flashy, dynamic Russian lighting it up on this team and becoming a 1st liner, I don't think he's the guy.
He was rushed into the NHL. But even before that, I don't think the thrashers expected a flashy and dynamic Russian when they picked burmi in the draft.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty minute hockey View Post
Just spit balling here but maybe Noel doesn't play Macho and Maxwell much more is he might not want to rush them into the NHL like many of our players were (Bogo, Kane, Burmi).
If you do a little research then you might realized that you spit and missed.

Maxwell is 23 and has played in 215 AHL games and 46 NHL games.
Machacek is 23 and has played in 281 AHL games and 19 NHL games.

These guys won't get better unless they play more.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
He's in his 2nd NHL season, his 3rd season in North America, and is 20 years old. Quite being so short-sighted. So many people think nowadays that if you don't make a big impact by your 21st birthday, you're a bust.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
johnthegod
cool story bro

yotes fan in peace any jets fans rooting for doaner and co to make it in now?

Old
03-28-2012, 09:59 PM
denniscasa
Blues Bandwagon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthegod View Post
nope, not me

Old
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
wpgallday1960

Just got back from the game. The team looks demoralized. I think that loss to the Sens took the starch out of them. As soon as the Rangers started coming back they folded. The only guys with any fire were the 4th line and Noel didn't play them enough. It wouldn't surprise me if the Jets lost all 5 remaining games.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Guess I'm going to take the unpopular stance, and say I don't really get the Noel hate going on here. Yes, Maxwell-Stapes-Machacek looked good. They're also an energy line playing every shift with fresh legs. Yes, they created a goal, it was also one of the weakest goals I've ever seen Lundqvist give up.

It's easy to second guess things like line and goalie management when you lose. I'm still convinced that riding guys that have given you past success is usually the best course of action, rather than knee-jerk decisions based on a few good or bad shifts.

Maybe I'm missing something with Noel. Just seems like a lot of criticism when you're talking about a roster relatively thin on talent, experience and size.
His line management, goalie management, and just making lines in general this year hasn't been the greatest. But you have to remember, Noel is a rookie NHL coach. So there is a chance that he is learning too, unfortunately.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
in other news, Selanne and the 'original' Winnipeg Jets got some love on NBC Sports tonight.

so, just throwing it out there.....can we draft him next year?!
Nice! Do you have a link?

Old
03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Glad I fell asleep during the 1st period for this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthegod View Post
absolutely not...

Old
03-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
Nice! Do you have a link?
You called bro?

Old
jetkarma

Burmistrov showed he wasn't an NHL center early this season, IF he can play right now it has to be on the wing imo. I said that at the start of the year and it hasn't changed. That is why I suggested , to much criticism , that he could benefit from some time in the minors. Which to me is pretty evident.

Old
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Glad I fell asleep during the 1st period for this one...

absolutely not...
Actually, I'll root for them on the condition that they cost the Avs a spot. That's just for you, Funkybunny9966.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Actually, I'll root for them on the condition that they cost the Avs a spot. That's just for you, Funkybunny9966.
He actually hasn't posted anything new in over 2 days. I hope he's ok.

Closed Thread