Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Score a goal? Take a seat on the bench

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 196
The Jets are great to watch, they had their highs and lows this season. They deserve a standing ovation for their last game, and there's always next season. btw I'm in WInnipeg again, if anyone has 2 tickets for any game to sell, pm me!

Old
03-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
One of the Illegal Curve guys asking Torts a post game question:

Old
03-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
He actually hasn't posted anything new in over 2 days. I hope he's ok.
Well, of course I wouldn't want anything seriously bad to happen to another human being, based solely on their Youtube ramblings.

I mean what kind of moron would do that? Wish harm on strangers, like knee injuries or something?

Old
03-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Pokeys

Quote:
One of the Illegal Curve guys asking Torts a post game question:

lmao. that's priceless. Highlight of my night.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Well, of course I wouldn't want anything seriously bad to happen to another human being, based solely on their Youtube ramblings.

I mean what kind of moron would do that? Wish harm on strangers, like knee injuries or something?
I was going to put a sarcasm emoticon in my post but I also couldn't wish harm on a stranger, crazy as they may be.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
I was going to put a sarcasm emoticon in my post but I also couldn't wish harm on a stranger, crazy as they may be.
Well, maybe a little harm. Let me close my eyes and imagine for a moment.

Ok, no seriously..uh, nothing bad.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:28 PM
duckyjets

We need some better 3rd liners. Add some size that way because we have the GST line or someone to replace those guys(not Slater).

Buff let Little take his spot and try and defend someone MUCH MUCH bigger then him. It's a clear mis-match and I don't know why Buff thinks he can skate all over like that.

Callahan was behind Hainsey because he's trying to cut down all of the angles and not let someone get an easy shot off in the slot.

Slater is NOT replaceable. You don't just replace one of the best faceoff guys in the league that can bring offense and play good defense. He's not a 4th line center. He is more so a 3rd line center but because of his role and the make up of the team he is playing on the 4th line.

What we need is more depth then anything.

Cormier was like 90% on the draw when he was up with the club.

You don't spend big money on a face off guy when you have equally talented guys in the system.

It's about cap space and usage. I like the GST line but we have players in the minors that can play that role for cheaper.

Hainsey is useless I'd love to see the jets send him packing but his contract is like a NMC

Old
03-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Warning, long post ahead.

Let's start with Noel. I am was unimpressed when he was hired. I started to come around early on until about January. That is when I really soured on him. Early on, he was playing the players who were going. He was getting the guys to play a system, the team was consistantly improving, to the point we saw in December. Starting in January it all started to come apart at the seems continuing till today. He has little idea how to put together lines. Does not manage goaltenders well. Does not use his lines very well. On a second game of a back to back you don't bench people. In the end, this team will be maybe 2-4 better than last year, we much improved play of Burmistrov/Kane/Bogosian/Pavelec. Unacceptable.
We ALWAYS play the other team's game, never set the tempo. We play play PIT/EDM, we play run and gun. We play NYR/WSH we play grinding game. We play LAK/STL we sit back play defensive opportunistic hockey Where's out identity? We don't we play a system and stick to it rather than play into the other team's strengths?

On Machacek/Maxwell, it was plain to see why they got benched. Noel does not tolerate a youngster making mistakes. Machacek struggled all night getting the puck out, Maxwell was not supporting the play real well. They had a couple good shifts, overall it was an alright game, not their best. That being said, I completely disagree with how they were played tonight. Need to use the energy line, esspecially with the lackluster effort from some of the forwards. My problem is that Wheeler and Glass in particular REALLY struggled with the same things, but face no repercussions. Toss Machacek with Little - Ladd for a shift, SEND A MESSAGE THAT WE DO NOT QUIT. Wheeler really struggled today, other than the Little pass, it was his worst game since he scored a goal, IMO.

That Boyle goal is why I have no faith in our center ice position. We are simply too small down the middle. Let's say we get switched with PHO/QUE next year and end up in the pacific and Kopitar/Thornton/Clowe/Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan/Brown/Morrow/Benn are in our division cycling we WILL GET EATEN ALIVE. An elite big twoway centerman is #1 on my wishlist for this team. We need it badly. Hopefully we can land Faksa in the draft and he pans out, that's the exact kind of player we need.

I have been very hesistant to weigh in on the Enstrom thing, but tonight I will. He was not very good again tonight. Made several passes to no one, struggled to contain NYR top forwards, just not his best game. He is quite simply not a #1 two way defenseman, IMO. We need to find a way to put him in situations to succeed, not ask him to play over his head. He is a very valuable player no doubt, but we need to utilize him better next year.

Overall this looked like a team that had given it's all to make playoffs and feels dejected. Understandable I guess. The guys that kept the motor running are those looking for contracts or roster spots (Glass, Machacek, Slater (great game for Slats btw)). Otherwise, this team looks dead. I hope to see some push on the weekend, some pride. This will be a good judge of character, who steps up this weekend.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Only 6 months til next season! It's sad but I'm excited about the offseason and the draft already.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:30 PM
duckyjets

I think we should sign TooToo in the off season.

We need more grit

Old
03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
anyways...super fun season.....i pin a lot of the failure on noel in the end.

hopefully they actually try and make the team better this off season....no excuses anymore...they know what needs to be done.
I don't see it as a failure. If you subtract off the bad start, when they were adjusting, they've had a playoff-level last 65 games. The team is way better now than earlier in the season -- remember the endless two-man disadvantages and never scoring in the third period? Now that they see the many strengths and several weaknesses of the team, it will be interesting to see what happens in the summer. But it's clear that 75% of the league is basically equal. The Jets are one of those teams. The variation in results among the 75% is mostly chance.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:35 PM
duckyjets

Look at the defense

Jones is Horrible
Hainsey is Horrible
Enstrom is too small he should play wing he's just not big enough to play the position effectively.

That my folks is 50% of the blue line.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:35 PM
umwoz

Is it just me or can Burmistrov look completely lost for stretches of games? Send him for a summer with Gary Roberts, did wonders for Skinner and Neal.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:36 PM
dhfromkw

I really like this group of guys, it's too bad they couldn't get across that line this year together.

On the plus side, we get to stay in the Southeast next year and have such great hockey teams coming in to the MTS Centre on a regular basis. I dig the realignment plans, but holding off one more year is fine by me. We get our fix of Eastern Conference teams again this way.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:39 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyjets View Post
Look at the defense

Jones is Horrible
Hainsey is Horrible
Enstrom is too small he should play wing he's just not big enough to play the position effectively.

I'll give you the bit about Jones though.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyjets View Post
Look at the defense

Jones is Horrible
Hainsey is Horrible

umm.

Enstrom should play wing?.. Hainsey is horrible?...

Hainsey is one of the guys who never sees praise when he does his job on a nightly basis and receives some of the harshest criticisms when something goes wrong. How often do you hear his name on the ice when a bad play is made, or even on these boards for that. It's because he silently does his job.

And the Enstrom should play wing statement, I would like to hear why please.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:45 PM
jetkarma

We need to build , we need to be in the talent acquisition business.

We have a long way to go when this is viewed realistically. Wish it wasn't so , but it is . We just have to make more right moves than wrong ones and build step by step.

Center , wing , defense , maybe only in goal are we ok , we needed a year to truly see what we have and don't have. Sure Chevy is fully aware of what steps are needed , the team had very good chemistry and played hard most of the time. Those are things to build on , but we need better talent to compete with true playoff teams.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:47 PM
jetkarma

Enstrom can't be a winger.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:49 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I hope Stapleton goes back to being the 13th forward next year.

I have nothing against him and he's clearly well liked in the locker room, but I would rather have a prospect like Cormier playing in that spot full time next year. Stapleton scores some big goals, but usually they're few and far between.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:55 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Burmistrov showed he wasn't an NHL center early this season, IF he can play right now it has to be on the wing imo. I said that at the start of the year and it hasn't changed. That is why I suggested , to much criticism , that he could benefit from some time in the minors. Which to me is pretty evident.
In a perfect world, I would slot Burmi as the 3rd line shutdown center and allow him to focus only on his defense. Once he finds consistency, I think the offense will come naturally.

The problem right now is that despite his age, inexperience and inconsistency, he's our second best center behind Little. Antropov isn't the player he once was and Slater/Stapleton don't have an offensive touch.

However, unless we make a trade or sign a veteran like Jokinen or Langkow, I don't see the situation changing next year.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:58 PM
teucer

I would not want Arniel or Carlyle coaching this team. I think Noel has done a decent job for his first season as being a full NHL coach. If the next few games go as planned, the team will be improving over their last seasons record. This team still has a lot of maturing to do, from the players up to the coaching staff/training staff. We don't know actually what Noel coaches behind the scenes. Give the guy a couple seasons before you pass judgement on him. He doesn't have any "elite" players to work with like other coaches have. Just got to hope Chevy does his homework and upgrades some pieces.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
More and more reason to hate on Noel. I've been saying this all year. He really is NOT a good coach.

Machacek continues to impress. It will be disgusting if he doesn't get a full time spot next year.
... says the guy who hated Noel before he coached one game.

(takes with giant grain of salt)

03-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
... says the guy who hated Noel before he coached one game.

(takes with giant grain of salt)
Careful bro, too much sodium and you'll start to bloat.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:03 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 306
I got home a little while ago and read through all the posts. I wasn't sure where the board would be leaning. All the criticism of Noel goes a bit far. Trying to match up against a much more talented team is tough. Rather than saying the Jets played the Rangers game, I would say the Rangers forced the Jets to play their game. Slow it down, grind it out and physicaly manhandle the Jets in both ends.

I would agree with those that said the Jets lack an identity. They get outskilled playing a run and gun game against teams with more fire power like the Pens and Sens. They get phsically dominated by bigger stronger teams, like the Blues, Preds, Sharks, Bruins and even the Rangers. IMO the Jets are caught in between. Personally I would like to get bigger and tougher all around. Either that, or get lucky and lose 5 more, win the lottery and get some real offensive firepower to play run and gun.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Guess I'm going to take the unpopular stance, and say I don't really get the Noel hate going on here. Yes, Maxwell-Stapes-Machacek looked good. They're also an energy line playing every shift with fresh legs. Yes, they created a goal, it was also one of the weakest goals I've ever seen Lundqvist give up.

It's easy to second guess things like line and goalie management when you lose. I'm still convinced that riding guys that have given you past success is usually the best course of action, rather than knee-jerk decisions based on a few good or bad shifts.

Maybe I'm missing something with Noel. Just seems like a lot of criticism when you're talking about a roster relatively thin on talent, experience and size.
People think that because a 4th line has played well in sheltered situations, that they should all of the sudden start playing harder minutes. It happened by accident a couple times in the last game and they got eaten alive.

Anyways, special teams KILLED this team this year. PP may have looked good percentage wise at home, but didn't score at critical times. We couldn't score a 5 on 3 goal to save our lives. Our PK was gross for most of the season.

This game was a microcosm of that. PP was ugly, PK was ugly, surrender a SH goal. Not a recipe for success.

This team is not mentally mature or tough enough right now. Claude Noel can say and teach till he sucks every drop of flavor out of those lozenges, but it doesn't do a damned bit of good if you're players are too immature or scared to execute when the chips are down.

Next year, our key guys will be a bit older, more experienced and will have this run to remember. I hope they think about how they had a chance to make the playoffs practically handed ot them on a silver platter and rolled over. I hope it leaves a bitter taste in their mouths and they use it as motivation for next year. These guys you can tell are passionate and want to win, they just don't know how to yet.

Swap out a few weak pieces, get some stability and character in here and we will make the playoffs next year.

Closed Thread