HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#1C no longer a top priority?

Old
03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Der Jaeger

vCash: 500
I like how this reframes the argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Do posters realize that the current success of our top 3 centers is due to the fact that they are all top 6 centers but don't have to carry the normal burden of a top 6 center. becasue the responsibility is divided over 3 lines.
I think the question shouldn't be "do the Sabres still need to go get a #1C?"

It should be "who can the Sabres acquire to replace Roy when he potentially leaves sometime over the next 15 months?"

The answer to the second question allows the Sabres to continue to roll three scoring lines.

Trade for proven center (Stastny)? Potential (someone line Schenn)? Or eventually replace Roy with someone from the 2012 draft (Gaunce, Girgenson)? Maybe a trade up for someone more elite (Galchenyuk, Forsberg)?

I like either of the two draft options, but any of those solutions work, if the right trades are available.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
The Sabres have great wingers, so they don't need super star centers, but they need good ones, and they have good ones, so it's cool.
are you not the Hodgson hater from earlier?

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I think the question shouldn't be "do the Sabres still need to go get a #1C?"

It should be "who can the Sabres acquire to replace Roy when he potentially leaves sometime over the next 15 months?"

The answer to the second question allows the Sabres to continue to roll three scoring lines.

Trade for proven center (Stastny)? Potential (someone line Schenn)? Or eventually replace Roy with someone from the 2012 draft (Gaunce, Girgenson)? Maybe a trade up for someone more elite (Galchenyuk, Forsberg)?

I like either of the two draft options, but any of those solutions work, if the right trades are available.
Are the only 2 options I want, trading for an elite 1 C will cost one of Ennis/McNabb or another top young player++

Look at what CBJ wants for Nash imagine what Kopitar would cost Lol

Old
03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
Are the only 2 options I want, trading for an elite 1 C will cost one of Ennis/McNabb or another top young player++

Look at what CBJ wants for Nash imagine what Kopitar would cost Lol
Agree to an extent with regard to Galchenyuk and Forsberg.

Do you think that Buffalo could work a picks only deal that gets them into position for Gaunce / Girgenson?

I think with two firsts and two seconds, trading up enough to acquire Gaunce or Girgenson is possible with a picks only approach.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:59 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

That was his unreasonable, ornery twin

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Agree to an extent with regard to Galchenyuk and Forsberg.

Do you think that Buffalo could work a picks only deal that gets them into position for Gaunce / Girgenson?

I think with two firsts and two seconds, trading up enough to acquire Gaunce or Girgenson is possible with a picks only approach.
Yes I would Image that BUF 1st(16th) + BUF 2nd(36th) gets them up 5 or 6 spots. Also I would think that Grigensons could be available at our 1st anyways, also the guy who I like the most for Center Prospects after Faksa, Grigerenko, Forsberg, and Galchenyuk is Teravainen.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
McTank

This is gonna be the most exciting draft in years, 2 1st, 2 2nd and I'm sure theyll be loads of Derek Roy rumors

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:53 PM
dkollidas

Now, I have not been much of a Roy fan, in fact, the large majority of my posts on HF have been looking for ways for us to get rid of the guy. BUT, I've come to realize a few things over the course of posting here on these boards...

A) Acquiring a center that's considered a current "#1 center", including guys like from Crosby & Sedin to Kopitar and Richards, to Kreji & Bergeron, these guys are EXTREMELY difficult to acquire. These players would all take an overpayment unless something is awry (like Richards and Carter supposed party attitudes and whatever it did to their lockerroom).

B) Acquiring a "potential" #1 center, seems easier, but that potential needs to come to fruition. Hodgson COULD become a #1, he COULD become a #2, that remains to be seen. These guys are easier to trade for, due to their lack of a proven track record, but are still costly and would require heavy payment.

C) Depth at center is key. I won't quote the exact post, but I believe joshjull posted that part of the recent success of the Sabres is due to Ennis, Hodgson, and Roy sharing the duties of two scoring lines between 3 scoring lines. The pressure isn't there. I don't know if this is the entire reason for the success (IMO a big part is Hodgson gaining chemistry, Ennis' conversion to center is a much better spot for him, and Roy just seems to be putting it all out there on the ice right now, especially defensively), but it certainly helps.

D) Trading Roy for an upgrade (something I think I've even had wonderful dreams about on occasion) at center, seems unrealistic. He's got one year remaining on his deal, albeit at a great price, but that won't last past next season. No one wants to trade young players/prospects, or guys signed to fair 2-5 year contracts, for a guy on a good contract that is up after one season. As much as I'd love to do it, I doubt it could happen. Maybe for a downgrade (Bolland +?), but it's not likely to happen.

E) The Hecht situation remains unclear. If we keep Ennis, Hodgson, Roy as is, Hecht may be re-signed, especially if he plays during the playoffs. He doesn't want to move his family, and I think if he wants to come back for a one year deal, Regier has the respect to say "ok, let's sign a fair 1-year deal, because we are uncertain about the science of concussions, but you are at risk, and we want you to retire here, and believe you can add leadership, defensive ability, and depth to our roster". I know a lot of people are against it, but I doubt you'd find a better 4th line center for Buffalo in the league if he can play 50-60 games next season.

F) Drafting is a very unpredictable practice, so I'd rather get more centers than move up. Grigorenko may have attitude issues (this is just what I've heard posted, no idea if it's true), Galchenyuk may have injury issues, Faksa may not develop properly, Gaunce may not be fast enough, Girgensons might not be as good when he starts to face better talent. It's a total crapshoot. I'd rather keep all of our 1st and 2nd round picks, try to take at least 2 centers (which will take Galchenyuk and Grigorenko out of it likely, and maybe Faksa as well), and get as many as possible. Giroux, Getzlaf, and others, are all "elite" centers who have been drafted outside of the top 10 in their respective draft years. Plus, you can always use the organizational depth. It's how we got so deep on defensemen, now it's time to do the same at forward.

G) Lastly, let's take a look at the lines as currently constructed...

Line (R)-Leino-Roy-Pominville
Line (H)-Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Line (E)-Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
McCormick-Boyes-Kaleta

Mainly focusing on the top-3 lines, I named them so that we don't say Lines "1-2-3" etc. we can see line "R" has been playing more of a shutdown role. Pominville is likely our best defensive forward without Gaustad, Roy is our best defensive center, and Leino is pretty solid in his own zone, and is good at controlling the puck in the offensive zone.

The "H" and "E" lines focus more on offense, but are responsible defensively (as all forwards are supposed to be in Ruff's system). But I believe a key for their success has been the play of Foligno and Tropp. Now granted it's not only them, but the way they play allows the more offensively gifted players (Hodgson, Vanek, Ennis & Stafford) room to roam in the offensive zone. This allows for greater playmaking ability, especially I believe for Stafford, who was forced to try to be more of a power-forward, but is more of a sniper who can make some pretty passes on occasion.

All this being said, I admit I've gone a bit on a tangent.

The needs for the Sabres, in my opinion, are these...

1. Draft centers- hopefully two with our 1st 4 draft picks, and maybe one replaces Roy after his contract is up, because he is extremely unlikely to be dealt.

2. Find another, more proven power forward- Possibly to put with Roy-Pominville, or to put with Vanek-Hodgson, and move Tropp to the Roy- Pominville line. That way, if they re-signed Hecht, you could have...

XXXX-Roy-Pominville
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Folidno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Hecht-Gerbe
ex. Kaleta/McCormick/Ellis

With XXXX hopefully being a guy like Ryane Clowe, or Dustin Brown. Maybe Luke Adam & 2013 1st? for either, or, if necessary, Nashville's 1st this year. I know I said to use those picks on draft players, but sometimes you have to give to get (ala Kassian-Hodgson).

3. Watch the young guys in Rochester next year. Not only forwards, but defensemen as well. Does McNabb continue to develop, what about Brennan & Finley? Pysyk and maybe Gauthier-Leduc will be in the AHL next season, how do they look? Because after next season, Regehr & Leopold will be free agents, and Weber looks to be a 7th defenseman and not much more for the rest of his career. Will they need to look outside the organization for those replacements?

Also, look for Roy's replacement within the organization. If Adam stays, how does he develop? Or Catenacci, Sundher, Shipley, whoever we draft. Do they look ready to take on a 3rd line role if Ennis and Hodgson continue to take over the top 2 lines? Or do they need to look outside? And if they look outside, is it for a 3C, or possible 1/2C?

-This all remains to be seen. I think they'll keep Roy into next year, keep him all the way through if they're looking like contenders, see what he wants for a contract extension and decide then if they need to look for a #1 or #3. My guess? Hodgson develops into a solid #2, capable of 30-30-60 seasons, or somewhere around that. Ennis becomes a #1. I just believe he has the skills, and is way to similar to Briere, especially around this age, being moved from wing to center, etc. and will be a 30-50-80 type guy, going up and down. Adam will eventually be dealt for a big winger with experience and grit for a playoff run. They'll draft 2 centers with their first four picks in the 2012 draft. Roy will leave when his contract is up, and they will find a replacement in free agency for a year or two, until one of the guys they drafted in 2012 is able to step up and play a consistent game on the 3rd line, with one of the guys like Sundher/Catenacci/Shipley, taking over the 4th line.

Center remains the biggest priority, but size on the wing, and development of defense prospects into NHL'ers are also key priorities. Also, one I didn't mention that I believe is right behind those... draft a goalie in the 2nd round please. Miller and Enroth are solid, Lieuwen and Knapp are interesting, but don't have "future NHL starter/good backup" written on them.

dkollidas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Derek Roy is better then Plekanec, he always has been.... It seems people want to trade Roy for the sake of change.
A) many do want to trade Roy for the sake of change. Your implying this would somehow be bad?

B) Roy may or may not be an entirely different player after suffering a major knee injury last year.

C) Roy is NOT better than Plekanec. That's total homer fallacy at it's finest. As others have mentioned, Pleks is lightyears ahead of Roy defensively (see playoff win over Pittsburgh 2 years ago) and is a better pure playmaker. Can we agree that Roy isn't the best fit between Vanek-Poms? I think Plekanec could take those two up a level, and vice versa.

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:13 AM
dma0034

Anyway the Sabres can trade for Getzlaf in the offseason or is that kicking a dead horse?

The team needs one decent RW, a 3/4 line center.... those are needs. Wants: Top line center or power forward.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
I don't recall ever saying I "hate" Hodgson but I'm still not a fan of the trade. Of course, if they go far in the playoffs I would have to revisit that opinion. I said he was a 40-50 point center then, and that opinion hasn't changed either. That's good.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Evgeni Giroux

I have 0 interest in trading for a 1/2 line C,
This teams window to win a cup is not for another 3-5 years so let Hodgson and Ennis become legit top end centers. Kinda like how PHI gave the reins to Giroux(not quite)
I am quite confident Hodgson will become a legit 1 with Ennis as a good 1/2 Center

Old
03-29-2012, 01:32 AM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
I don't recall ever saying I "hate" Hodgson but I'm still not a fan of the trade. Of course, if they go far in the playoffs I would have to revisit that opinion. I said he was a 40-50 point center then, and that opinion hasn't changed either. That's good.
So you believe he has peaked as a 22 year old rookie?

Old
03-29-2012, 01:32 AM
McTank

Quote:
A 40-50 point center over his career? He's already a 40 point center as a rookie, you don't think he's gonna develop at all?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Luceni

Quote:
I have 0 interest in trading for a 1/2 line C,
This teams window to win a cup is not for another 3-5 years so let Hodgson and Ennis become legit top end centers. Kinda like how PHI gave the reins to Giroux(not quite)
I am quite confident Hodgson will become a legit 1 with Ennis as a good 1/2 Center
That's exactly why I would love to see someone like Getzlaf coming to buffalo via trade.

Hodgson and Ennis could both develope int 60pt. centers or more.
But they both lack experience and leaderhip at the moment.

That's why I would bring someone like Getzlaf, who could be had for a low price at the moment. He brings verteransjip and experience and he is an upgrade to Roy and he brings physical play into our top 6.

My dream scenario is that we could get Getzlaf and Brown @ off season.

Getzlaf for Roy, Adam and a first round pick.
Brown for Armia, Pysyk, Boyes and our first rounder 2013.

Our lineup with that trades:

Vanek - Getzlaf - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Leino - Hodgson - Brown
Gerbe - Hecht - Tropp
Kaleta

That's the lineup of a contender, imo......

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:05 AM
unte93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
So are we just not going to improve the roster in the offseason?

Suter for Leopold?

unte93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:55 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The conversation could be do they have a #1C in Hodgson or Ennis already?

The conversation could also be about do they need a #1C or do they need to get a 3rd guy to go along with Ennis and Hodgson that is also under 25yo and have a solid trio of centers as a part of the "young core" of the team moving forward?

Personally, I'd love it if the Sabres could figure out a way to acquire an under 25yo center to go with Ennis and Hodgson that would allow the Sabres to continue to roll out their top 3 lines with a skilled center, a skilled winger, and a hard working physical winger like they are right now.

I like that formula. Kind of like going with one puck mover and one defensive D on the back end.
This. Plus I want a shutdown center. Someone to lead a checking line or a defensive line, and to win faceoffs in the defensive zone in the dying seconds of a game. Someone like, oh I don't know, Paul Gaustad?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:35 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I know that it may be harder to get some of the guys on this list than a big name #1C, but these are the type of U25 centers that I hope the Sabres are looking to acquire this offseason:

Jeff Skinner - Car
Nick Bjugstad - Fla prospect
Jonathan Huberdeau - Fla prospect
Jacob Josefson - NJ
Ryan Strome - NYI prospect
Derek Stepan - NYR
Mika Zibanejad - Ott prospect
Sean Courturier - Phi
Brayden Schenn - Phi
Mark Scheifele - Win prospect
Bryan Little - Win
Brandon Pirri - Chi prospect
Mark McNeill - Chi prospect
Ryan O'Reilly - Col
Matt Duchene - Col
Derick Brassard - Cbs
Ryan Johansen - Cbs
Jamie Benn - Dal
Calle Jarnkrok - Det prospect
Sam Gagner - Edm
Peter Holland - Ana prospect
Jordan Weal - LA prospect
Mikael Granlund - Min prospect
Austin Watson - Nash prospect
Martin Hanzal - Phx
Logan Couture - SJ
TJ Oshie - StL

It will be interesting to see if any guys like these move this summer.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:51 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Dear Anaheim(LA), You've had a rough year and probably are thinking you need a bit of a culure change. Well, we would like to offer you a hell of a deal to restock your team for the future. It will include 2 firsts, a top defensive prospect and a salary even outer that is having an off year but is a still in his prime 5 time 65+ point producer. All that we want is Mr Getzlaf (Kopitar). Should I send the paperwork over?

On a serious side, if that wasn't enough, it would be enough to get the conversation started. Maybe add a guy like Gerbe to seal the deal.

As for the 1c question, our money is on the wings, it's how we built the team. I don't think a 1c is needed to be a contender. I do think a in his prime, or just about to hit his prime shutdown guy (Hanzal or J Staal) is the type we do need. So the question I would ask, would you do the 2 firsts, Roy and Pysk for Hanzal? Yes, I know, quite the overpayment but that gives us Ennis, CoHo and Hanzal down the middle for the foreseeable future, just as deep as any team nit named Pittsburgh (sure, mostly saying on potential)

I don't need that super center with 63 & 19 on the team, they have the skills to both be atleast top 6 centers and our wing depth makes them legit top 6 centers so unless we do my 'dear anaheim' trade, a shutdown center is what this team needs.

I also would have no problem if the team decided to do what it takes to trade up for one of the top 2 centers in this draft, if they thought they are going to be franchise centers. No problem with that.

Also, please stop with the Gaustad love. If anything, the last month has proved how he hindered this team and Ruffs handling of his playing time. He was too slow and has zero offensive talent. He should never be brought back. His presence alone hurt this team. Essentially, it was him out, 19 in and all of a sudden the team is able to roll 3 even lines. That's all you need to know. Ruff utilized him way too much, counted in hmm way too much. I'll take 3 years ago Gaustad but he's a different player now, good riddance!

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:08 AM
HiddenInLight

Honestly I think the best moves the sabres could do in the off season would be two things:

1- Turn the 4th line into a shutdown line. The line that steps on the ice who's sole purpose is to take the wind away from the opposing team's top line. To accomplish this I think they sign or trade for a defensive specialist center who can win faceoffs and is acurate with the puck (passing morso then shooting) resign kaletta, sign a winger to play opposite kaletta on this shutdown line, or see if leino can do this.

2- Sign/Trade for a physical puck posession winger. One who doesn't necisarily score a ton of goals, but one who is hard to bump off the puck and plays a gritty game to open up the ice for Roy and Pommer. Similar to Tropp and Foligno on their respective lines.

3- Sign hecht to a resonable deal and keep him as an extra forward so that if leino can't play defensive enough, or if sombody gets hurt he can jump in. Let Boyes walk...he's not needed. Get rid of weber he is just dead weight, sign sulzer as our 7th, then let Mcnabb and Brennan fight it out for our 6 spot.

Our final lineup:

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Tropp - Hodgson - Vanek
Physical Winger - Roy - Pomminville
Leino/Hecht - Shutdown Center - Kaletta
Hecht/Leino/McCormick

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
A 40-50 point center over his career? He's already a 40 point center as a rookie, you don't think he's gonna develop at all?
He'll have a couple of 55 point seasons but there's not enough skill there even with great wingers, to put up 55-60 every year. In other words, he wont ever be as good as Roy. Roy-light. Roy averages about 60 points per 82 games played? Hodgson will be around 50, a little less IMO.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:37 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
He'll have a couple of 55 point seasons but there's not enough skill there even with great wingers, to put up 55-60 every year. In other words, he wont ever be as good as Roy. Roy-light. Roy averages about 60 points per 82 games played? Hodgson will be around 50, a little less IMO.
That's a very naieve post imo. He's only a rookie there will definatly be a LOT of fine tuning to his game, maybe even large changes. I also expect a huge improovement next season. This season since he came here has been grueling...I doubt he's had time to try and even get aclimated to his teammates very much or build chemestry with anybody.

TL;DR wait till midway next season before you judge his potential.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Havok89

Quote:
I disagree, I see a great shot, good vision, great offensive instincts and on top of that, he's dedicated towards getting better. He spends each summer with Gary Roberts, who's had incredible success training with star players.

He's already getting 40 points as a rookie, I see no reason he cant break 70 points in the next few years.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:05 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
What in the holy ****ing hell is this based on?

This is his first full year, at 21 years old (last year was only 8 games). He has 42 points in his first 86 games, most of those games spent on the 3rd line with limited minutes in Vancouver.

Derek Roy's first full year was at 22. First 86 games he had 40 points.

Ok, so the facts so far don't agree with you. What about potential?

Derek was drafted #32 overall. Hodgson #8 overall. Hodgson was and is projected to have #1C potential. Derek Roy I don't recall, but obviously he's a borderline #1 center.

Junior stats to give a better insight into capability?

I'll let you figure out who is who.

Last edited by vcv: 03-29-2012 at 09:22 AM.
vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
I disagree, I see a great shot, good vision, great offensive instincts and on top of that, he's dedicated towards getting better. He spends each summer with Gary Roberts, who's had incredible success training with star players.

He's already getting 40 points as a rookie, I see no reason he cant break 70 points in the next few years.

Gary Roberts camp is like tattoos. Used to be very badass, but every whiney emo kid has one these days. lol j/k

I hear great things about his attitude, so even though he doesn't have the talent ceiling of Roy (based on my amazing hockey intuition and super natural eye test skills) he could post a few more points than expected due to better line chemistry.