HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
If we sign this kid main boards will crash. First we 'took advantage' of Calgary and then we'd take advantage of Anaheim.
LOL. How did we take advantage of Calgary? They agreed on the trade. Are we a horrible team for taking advantage of Bob Gainey as well? Some people just need something to complain about. Usually, they complain about the Rangers though.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
what if we eventually end up signing Schultz and trading him for Bobby Ryan, I think Sather would win both the ******* of the year award and the GM of the year at the same time

Old
03-21-2012, 08:47 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
LOL. How did we take advantage of Calgary? They agreed on the trade. Are we a horrible team for taking advantage of Bob Gainey as well? Some people just need something to complain about. Usually, they complain about the Rangers though.

Buggered if I know but apparently we did.

Old
03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
NYR Viper

All that the Rangers have to do is point to their current defense and around the league....

Staal
Girardi
Tyutin
Sauer
Bickel
MDZ
Erixon has played some this season

The Rangers have not traded any key piece of their youth movement away since Tyutin a few years ago. They are willing to live and grow with their younger players mistakes. Torts likes players who want to make a difference.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
All that the Rangers have to do is point to their current defense and around the league....

Staal
Girardi
Tyutin
Sauer
Bickel
MDZ
Erixon has played some this season

The Rangers have not traded any key piece of their youth movement away since Tyutin a few years ago. They are willing to live and grow with their younger players mistakes. Torts likes players who want to make a difference.
I loved Tyutin when he was with us, felt bad that we traded him for an unmotivated russian "sniper"

Old
03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
ThirdEye

Just watched some of the highlights. He has a sick wrister. Could definitely be an asset on a PP where the point-men never shoot like ours

He'll probably have to bulk up quite a bit during the offseason though

Old
03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Horak played some good hockey for Calgary. They got back 2 2nd rounders-Markus Granlund and Tyler Wotherspoon. They were going to get #53 in the 2011 draft as compensation. Is Erixon mocking the Flames wearing that number? I just noticed that. The Rangers assigned that number to him?

Old
03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Looking at the Wisconsin academic calendar. Their finals end on May 19.

http://www.secfac.wisc.edu/acadcal/ChooseSemester.asp

Schultz notifies the school he is dropping out. The Ducks have his rights until June 1.

Quote:
(iv) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide
Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona
fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his
selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide
college student through the graduation of his college class, his
drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his
services until the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry
Draft.
Schultz is free to negotiate with teams after June 1. He can't sign until July 1 but there can be an agreement in principle.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Darren Dreger was discussing Justin Schultz on NHL Live with EJ Hradek and Deb Placey. He said the Rangers will at the top of the list of teams pursuing Schultz and they would love to add him to their young core of defensemen.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Darren Dreger was discussing Justin Schultz on NHL Live with EJ Hradek and Deb Placey. He said the Rangers will at the top of the list of teams pursuing Schultz and they would love to add him to their young core of defensemen.
That's what I like to hear!

Old
03-28-2012, 06:26 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Schultz spoke today

Quote:
Could Justin Schultz return for his senior season at Wisconsin? "There's still a chance," he said. It's all tied to a possible NHL lockout.
https://twitter.com/#!/AndyBaggotWSJ...20344447795200

The CBA expires in September. Schultz becomes a free agent in June.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:45 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Schultz spoke today

https://twitter.com/#!/AndyBaggotWSJ...20344447795200

The CBA expires in September. Schultz becomes a free agent in June.
So you really think he waits until possibly September to sign? I don't.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Yeah that makes no sense...if theres a lockout he can play in the AHL where a lot of NHL players would go.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yeah that makes no sense...if theres a lockout he can play in the AHL where a lot of NHL players would go.
And get paid to play...Sign July 1st and get your signing bonus as well.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
So you really think he waits until possibly September to sign? I don't.
If there's a lockout, he might just go back to school and wait until next year.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If there's a lockout, he might just go back to school and wait until next year.
The point is no one knows if there will be a lockout until September.

He can sign in July.

He's going to wait until September, the last possible minute, to decide weather he wants to sign a pro contract or not?

He can sign and go play professional hockey regardless of a lockout.

AHL will be a harbor, like it was last lockout, for NHL players.

He can play a year in the AHL...which would really be filled with NHL players.

Lockout shouldn't hold any baring on his decision if he were sensible.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 03-29-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old
03-28-2012, 10:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Look at how many players have left school after their junior years to turn pro. How come they weren't concerned about a lockout which the people in the know don't know what will happen? Fehr is a last minute guy. September 15. Wisconsin will be in the 2nd or 3rd week of classes by then. The NHL and NHLPA won't have any discussions until after the season. Schultz will have dropped out of Wisconsin and would be a free agent before the season is over. Schultz is a young and naive kid. He doesn't understand how this stuff works. If Schultz doesn't drop out of school,he won't be a free agent. The Ducks will keep his rights until August 15,2013. He won't sign with the Ducks now. 2 year deal. He plays this season and next season. Group II with arb rights in July 2013. He can't stop being a bona fide college student,become a free agent and then go back to being a bona fide college student. The CBA doesn't cover that situation.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
CM PUNK

its possible he made the comment to shut people up so he doesn't have to hear about it every day between now and july 1st when he can become a ufa

Old
03-29-2012, 12:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

More Schultz

Quote:
“In my heart I know I can play up there,” Schultz said after a Wednesday morning workout at the Kohl Center. “We just feel that it’s best just to focus on my school (work) and get this year done with.

“We feel it’s best to finish out the school year and then look at my options and then see what’s best for me.”
Quote:
“Yeah, I think I’m ready,” Schultz said. “My defensive game got a lot better this year and I continued to improve everything.

“I’ve done enough here and I think it’s time for me to move on.”
http://www.htrnews.com/article/20120...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Schultz is represented by Newport Sports. Wade Arnott is his advisor. The Rangers have a good relationship with Newport Sports. Sather has always been tight with Don Meehan. Brad Richards. Henrik Lundqvist. Dan Girardi. Michael Del Zotto. Brandon Prust. Sean Avery. Mats Zuccarello. Wade Redden. Steve Eminger. Jeff Woywitka. Kris Newbury. Newport Sports clients.

Old
03-29-2012, 02:44 AM
Draft Guru

Quote:
More Schultz

http://www.htrnews.com/article/20120...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Schultz is represented by Newport Sports. Wade Arnott is his advisor. The Rangers have a good relationship with Newport Sports. Sather has always been tight with Don Meehan. Brad Richards. Henrik Lundqvist. Dan Girardi. Michael Del Zotto. Brandon Prust. Sean Avery. Mats Zuccarello. Wade Redden. Steve Eminger. Jeff Woywitka. Kris Newbury. Newport Sports clients.
You the man, RangerBoy. Thanks for the scoop.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:05 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
If we would sign Schultz, and say he is ready for the NHL within a year, we would soon have a very interesting situation on D.

LEFT D% Chance to become regular NHLer RIGHT D% Chance to become regular NHLer
McD 100 Girardi 100
Staal 100 Sauer 100 (injury? => 75% ?!)
MDZ 100 Schultz 80
Erixon 90 McIllrath 75 - 80
Valentenko? 30 Strålman 75
  Bickel 70 - 75
Noreau 40 - 50
Ceresnak 30 - 40
Parlett ~ 25?

Yes it is a logjam. Especially on the right side. Hopefully Sauer can return too. And all will not pan out. But it is also a very impressive (in addition to the fact that almost all these players are homegrown/acquired before their NHL debut) "D" & definitely enough (possibly very sought after) chips there to pull off a deal or two to upgrade our scoring up front by acquiring a younger scorer(s) for the future. Providecd they pan out. No?

Last edited by BBKers: 03-29-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old
03-29-2012, 05:07 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
If we would sign Schultz, and say he is ready for the NHL within a year, we would soon have a very interesting situation on D.

LEFT D% Chance to become regular NHLer RIGHT D% Chance to become regular NHLer
McD 100 Girardi 100
Staal 100 Sauer 100 (injury? => 75% ?!)
MDZ 100 Schultz 80
Erixon 90 McIllrath 75 - 80
Valentenko? 30 Strålman 75
  Bickel 70 - 75
Noreau 40 - 50
Ceresnak 30 - 40
Parlett ~ 25?

Yes it is a logjam. Especially on the right side. Hopefully Sauer can return too. And all will not pan out. But it is also a very impressive (in addition to the fact that almost all these players are homegrown/acquired before their NHL debut) "D" & definitely enough (possibly very sought after) chips there to pull off a deal or two to upgrade our scoring up front by acquiring a younger scorer(s) for the future. Providecd they pan out. No?
I gotta admit that I feel that a signing of that kid is something of a gamble without risk, if you get what I mean.

His biggest strength is obviously his poise. He aint that fast nor do he have a boatload of natrual talent. Hence why he wasn't drafted that high nor ever were in any WJC's discussions and so forth (and you can see it in the vids posted of him here).

Look, I am definitely a big believe in signing kids like that. Pöck and Gilroy didn't work out for us, but if we look around the league we will find plenty of players with the same or similar heritage who are big contributors to their teams, for sure.

My point is just this, I would be pretty careful to expect him to come in and do better than Strålman for example. AS has his ups and downs for sure, and I definitely wouldn't oppose anyone who claimed that the downs have been to common lately. But that doesn't mean that a "good prospect" can come in and do better than him. If we look at other good prospects on the blueline that we have seen lately as rookies in this org., Pöck, Kondratiev, Gilroy, Erixon and co just for example, I think none of them would have been able to play that the same level Strålman have for us this season.

My point is just, sure sign this kid and keep our thumbs crossed. But I wanna see him take that poise from college to the pro-level before I slot him into the line-up next season.

Old
03-29-2012, 06:57 AM
UAGoalieGuy

We are not talking about an undrafted college UFA here. He was drafted 43rd overall in 2008.

If he does sign with the Rangers he would be afforded every opportunity to make the big club come September. Just like all the other young D have been in recent years.

If he doesn't make the squad I'm sure he'd be a first call up a la McD two years ago.

I'm sure he will be asking McD a lot of questions if he is seriously considering the Rangers about his experience here so far, both here in NY and in Hartford.

Your point is correct though in that we should not be slotting in a regular top six position just yet until we see how he does at Traverse City and training camp. There will be a lot of people gunning for those spots (McI, Erixon, Stralman, hopefully a healthy Sauer, etc).

Old
03-29-2012, 07:41 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I gotta admit that I feel that a signing of that kid is something of a gamble without risk, if you get what I mean.

His biggest strength is obviously his poise. He aint that fast nor do he have a boatload of natrual talent. Hence why he wasn't drafted that high nor ever were in any WJC's discussions and so forth (and you can see it in the vids posted of him here).

Look, I am definitely a big believe in signing kids like that. Pöck and Gilroy didn't work out for us, but if we look around the league we will find plenty of players with the same or similar heritage who are big contributors to their teams, for sure.

My point is just this, I would be pretty careful to expect him to come in and do better than Strålman for example. AS has his ups and downs for sure, and I definitely wouldn't oppose anyone who claimed that the downs have been to common lately. But that doesn't mean that a "good prospect" can come in and do better than him. If we look at other good prospects on the blueline that we have seen lately as rookies in this org., Pöck, Kondratiev, Gilroy, Erixon and co just for example, I think none of them would have been able to play that the same level Strålman have for us this season.

My point is just, sure sign this kid and keep our thumbs crossed. But I wanna see him take that poise from college to the pro-level before I slot him into the line-up next season.
I disagree about the skill and skating.

He dropped out of the first round because of strength and play in own end. He improved both while at Wisconsin.

This is nothing like Gilroy. This is a highly skilled 21 year old that has been one of the top offensive defensemen in NCAA the last two years. Gilroy had one good year at age 25 in the NCAA.

Old
03-29-2012, 07:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Looking at the CBA,Schultz has a $925,000 MAX. $185,000 SB. Two year ELC.

Quote:
(d) Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agents will be subject to the maximum
annual aggregate compensation limits set forth in this Section 9.3 applicable in the Entry
Draft year immediately preceding the date on which the Player signs his Entry Level
SPC. For example, a Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent Player signed after the date
of the 2005 Entry Draft and prior to the 2006 Entry Draft will be subject to the maximum
annual aggregate compensation for Players drafted in the 2005 Entry Draft (i.e.,
$850,000)
. Such a Player will be subject to all of the other terms and provisions of this
Art icle 9, including without limit ation, the terms of Exhibit 5 and the maximum annual
Signing Bonus for a Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent will be limited to 10% of the
Player's compensation in any League Year.
2011 and 2012 MAX are both $925,000. Figure another $850,000 in performance bonuses.

$1,775,000 cap number.

The max for 2008 picks is $875,000. So he gets an extra $50,000 per.

His AHL money is $70,000. Up $5,000 from the 2008 MAX minor league salary of $65,000.

Closed Thread