HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well that's a wrap

Old
03-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Avsfan2001
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Well that's a wrap

Hi everyone i am new here i have been lurking here for a while decided to make an account and post

So as we all know the avs season is probably over but i would still say this season was a success even though we missed the playoffs. I would just like to briefly outline what i think we did well and what i think we need to improve on.

What we did well:

- We showed depth down our line-up with scoring, i know we haven't scored much in the last half a dozen games. But i think something strong about our team is the fact that 4 or 5 guys have 18 goals + in our line-up.

- Ryan O'reilly has had a breakout season which is nice to see i think he will be one of our key players for years to come.

-LANDESKOG- He deserves capitals because lets face it without him we would probably be closer to the bottom of the western conference. He will eventually be the captain of this team and if i may add even though we missed the playoffs the one thing I would want from this season is for him to win the calder because he deserves it.

-Varlomov- He has shown a little bit of inconsistency throughout the season but lets remember he is only 23 and has tremendous upside. In this final push he has taken the team on his shoulders and showed that he can give the team a chance to win almost every night. I see a bright future with this goalie and i think he was worth the first rounder.

-Sherman's Trades- I think Sherman did well at the trade deadline acquiring Mcginn and Downie. Even though Downie has been rather inaccurate and not as much of an asset as when we first got him with his point streak and all. I think he will bring grit with upside to this team for the future. As for Mcginn i think he will only get better he has shown he has the skill, speed and size to be lethal in front of the net and with in close shots.

-Erik Johnson- I think Erik had a pretty good year i would like to see more offensive production but i think defensively he has been great. I live in Vancouver and i am an avs fan and my dad is a canucks fan and when i went to a canucks avs game which we obviously lost My father could not stop commenting about how smooth Erik Johnson is on his skates. I think Erik johnson will continue to get better all we need is a good parter for him (Suter please).

What we could improve on:

-Defence- I would say the avalanche have a fairly weak defence. They do not give up an abundance of shots regularly but the seem to give major scoring chances to opposing teams. I think our defensive prospects will help here once they develop as we have some fairly talented prospects coming down the line.

-Leadership- Hedjuk was the captain of the avalanche this year and don't get me wrong i am not bashing him as he is an avalanche "great". I just think he is not a strong enough leader to lead the avalanche, he has had not a great year as performance goes that is expected as he is getting older. But we need someone like Adam Foote to rally the young guys and get them motivated to win especially when there is "must win" scenarios.

-Production- Statsny has played aright this year totalling 51 points he can do better as we know but its not a dire circumstance. However, Matt Duchene worries me. He has been injured i get that, and he is having a bad year. The fact is though we need him to produce and hopefully he will rebound next year. i am not writing him off but i am a tad worried.

-Money- the avs need to seriously look if they are ready to build a contender for the future. Being a contender means you need to pay the money. Like we are not going to be a Stanley cup contender sitting on the cap floor. So i hope this off season the owners open their wallets and give the fans the team they deserve.

Thanks for reading, comment on it, agree, disagree. Discuss what you think i missed.\

Lets all hope for a better next year for the avs

Avsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:50 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

I agree with everything you said plus welcome to the boards.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:40 AM
Mant*

Quote:
- We showed depth down our line-up with scoring, i know we haven't scored much in the last half a dozen games. But i think something strong about our team is the fact that 4 or 5 guys have 18 goals + in our line-up.
This is the part I have to disagree with. We had long stretches of time this season where we struggled way too much to even get a single goal in a game. In 48 games this season we scored 2 or less regulation goals... that doesn't cut it. We're 20th in scoring right now, and if it weren't for those 3 games where we scored 6+ goals, we would actually be closer to 26th in scoring.

We relied way too much on our goaltenders to win games, because our offense really didn't cut it. There were so many games that Varly or Giguere bailed us out in, but the offense never once returned the favor and won a game where our goalies played badly.

Our number one priority in the offseason should be acquiring a legitimate first line scorer.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:47 AM
Avsfan2001
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
This is the part I have to disagree with. We had long stretches of time this season where we struggled way too much to even get a single goal in a game. In 48 games this season we scored 2 or less regulation goals... that doesn't cut it. We're 20th in scoring right now, and if it weren't for those 3 games where we scored 6+ goals, we would actually be closer to 26th in scoring.

We relied way too much on our goaltenders to win games, because our offense really didn't cut it. There were so many games that Varly or Giguere bailed us out in, but the offense never once returned the favor and won a game where our goalies played badly.

Our number one priority in the offseason should be acquiring a legitimate first line scorer.
Yeah we need someone like Parise. i am just saying if those 5 or so guys + a rejuvenated Duchene and a beast Landeskog we will do very well next year.

Avsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:50 AM
jaems

Quote:

Duchene having an awful year probably didn't help this. That's about 10 goals lost this year.

It's also too bad we couldn't/didn't re-sign Flash because he would've probably scored 10-20 goals in an Avs uniform, bumping us up to more of the middle of the pack and possibly even resulting in a a handful of more games won.

Unfortunately, the list of 1st line forwards this UFA season is small. Semin is going to want a payday and I could imagine his streaky play would frustrate us. Parise is going to be coveted by everyone, and might just end up re-signed in NJ anyway. That leaves us with Huselius, Boyes, Penner... yeah... Kostitsyn might be nice but he'll probably re-sign in Nashville with his brother.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:53 AM
TheStranger

That's not a wrap...

THIS...is a wrap

TheStranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 50
I'd like to know who might be Plan B guys for top 6 winger help since every team is going to try to get parise and other than overpayment what else can they offer?

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:00 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
I'd like to know who might be Plan B guys for top 6 winger help since every team is going to try to get parise and other than overpayment what else can they offer?
Huselius?

Major injury trouble lately, could be a reclamation. As the Avs so often do.

TheStranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Huselius?

I wonder what giggy can get the avs in the off season. Yeah it's nice to have two solid goaltenders, but he might never be worth as much ever again and his contract ends after next season and I'm sure he would love to have a starting job handed to him.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:52 AM
benzino

Quote:
I know most hate him but I wouldn't mind Alex Semin. His buddy Varly is already on the team which would help him settle. Yes he is selfish, lazy yadda yadda but Avs have enough grinders we need someone that shoots first that can score goals.

benzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzino View Post
I know most hate him but I wouldn't mind Alex Semin. His buddy Varly is already on the team which would help him settle. Yes he is selfish, lazy yadda yadda but Avs have enough grinders we need someone that shoots first that can score goals.
There are some rumors that he and Varly aren't exactly best buds.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Drizzt1

I don't know, but it didn't seem there was much chemistry at all through the team for large portions of this season, so I don't see how that could make it worse.

He'd INSTANTLY be our most skillful player. Heck, Fleishmann would be our outright highest scorer right now.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

I'm so bummed that the avs won't get the 8th seed. I still think st louis can be beaten by anyone in the 1st round and shutting up all of those blues trolls would've been so awesome.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Huselius?

Hell no. This is exactly the player we DON'T want on our team. Soft as butter. Floater. Work ethic issues.

We want the opposite of Huselius.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Hell no. This is exactly the player we DON'T want on our team. Soft as butter. Floater. Work ethic issues.

We want the opposite of Huselius.
Suilesuh?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:58 AM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
There are some rumors that he and Varly aren't exactly best buds.
Hmm now that you mention it I remember hearing that too... Those complicated Russians

benzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Suilesuh?
If only his name was palindromic

Old
03-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
If only his name was palindromic
Is Palindromic touted as a good prospect?

What line would he fit on?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:13 AM
CB Joe

Quote:

The two most natural goal scorers, Duchene and Mueller, were both injured for most of the season. Not to mention the late season addition of McGinn, and to a lesser degree Downie. The defence needs help much more than the offense.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:15 AM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsfan2001 View Post
-Erik Johnson- I think Erik had a pretty good year i would like to see more offensive production but i think defensively he has been great. I live in Vancouver and i am an avs fan and my dad is a canucks fan and when i went to a canucks avs game which we obviously lost My father could not stop commenting about how smooth Erik Johnson is on his skates. I think Erik johnson will continue to get better all we need is a good parter for him (Suter please).
Welcome to the boards! Great post, I agree with practically everything you said. I wanted to comment on the part that I isolated. A few of my friends noted something similar last night while at the game. They also commented in the second period that EJ is MUCH smarter than they anticipated and looked great out on the ice.

He has really come into his own this season.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Is Palindromic touted as a good prospect?

What line would he fit on?
How could he not be? Sandwich him between two Irish O' s.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 396
Quote:
Suilesuh?
French-Canadian?

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
I wonder what giggy can get the avs in the off season. Yeah it's nice to have two solid goaltenders, but he might never be worth as much ever again and his contract ends after next season and I'm sure he would love to have a starting job handed to him.
If Giggy was traded, the Avs could be in the position of having a 24 year old Varly and a 27 year old Desjardins as their goaltending duo. While that wouldn't be a bad thing, having the experience and poise of a guy like Giggy is like having a backup and a goalie coach in one (not saying the Avs don't need a full time goalie coach, but that's a post for a different thread). I'd rather keep Giggy another year (or more) until Varlamov shows that he's definitely ready to start 60+ games a year and play at a high level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzino View Post
I'd be ok with Semin joining the team. Put something in his contract forcing him to workout with O'Reilly or he doesn't get paid, then put him on the RW with McGinn and Stastny.

Or, if the Coyotes move to Quebec City, make Shane Doan an offer.

Or take a chance on someone like Brad Boyes. If he could be signed for about 2m on a 1 year contract, it could be worth it.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
jaems

Quote:
I can't imagine Giguere getting us more than at best a 3rd rounder. Look at a guys who were young and talented (Hasek, Brzgalov, Giguere, Kipper) and what it cost to get them. Maybe if a team was desperate in the trade deadline someone would pay a 2nd or a low-to-mid 1st (the Oilers traded the Wild a mid-1st to get Roloson)

Though as another person mentioned, the Avs would benefit much more from having Giguere mentor Varly.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

This team needs to really solidify the defense. Yes, scoring depth would be excellent, but we need to protect our goalies more and become tougher/stronger in our own end. A puck moving Dman would be a nice pick up as well.

Offense: With Hejduk's age catching up with him, we need to replace his scoring. It's definitely noticeable now that his game has slipped off we aren't getting those sniper goals from anyone.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote