HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose prospect thread (all St. John's and Jets prospect talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
Is there anyone who watches the OHL and Kitchener specifically who could fill me in on Sol?

The guy is 6'4", and 215 lbs by HF's info. He could be bigger now, I don't know.

His stats this year were:

GP Goals Assists Points PIM
62 15 23 38 180

And right now he has 4 points in 3 playoff games. I know that is not a tonne of points, but I think that's pretty good for a guy that's 6'4" and could be a physical force. Is this year discounted because he turned 20 this season and in the CHL? Considering these numbers and his size, I am wondering if there are any massive holes in his game because from the outside looking in, it's seems weird that he isn't even in our top 20 for prospects.

Is he on the radar for the Ice Caps next season?

Old
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Rheged
JMFT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Boy I really like some of our picks the last couple of years. Telegin and Yuen could be solid middle round picks in a couple of years.

Am I right to assume that Telegin is eligible to play in the AHL next year?
Yup, have to think he's spending at least a good chunk of the season there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer
Atlanta actually gave him a contract last year so at least someone in the old regime must have liked what they had seen from him. His numbers this year look pretty good to me too, maybe he starts in the ECHL? Someone mentioned in another thread (maybe actually this one) that we are going to have a ton of professional level defensemen signed next season, will be interesting to see where everyone ends up.

Last edited by Rheged: 03-28-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Boy I really like some of our picks the last couple of years. Telegin and Yuen could be solid middle round picks in a couple of years.

I believe so. He was born on Feb 28, 1992 so that makes him 20 right now.

I believe to play in the AHL you need to be 20 by December of that season. So someone could play in the AHL in 2012-2013 if they turn 20 before December. I could be wrong though and it could be by the start of the season, but I think Telegin is ok either way.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Is there anyone who watches the OHL and Kitchener specifically who could fill me in on Sol?

The guy is 6'4", and 215 lbs by HF's info. He could be bigger now, I don't know.

62 15 23 38 180

And right now he has 4 points in 3 playoff games. I know that is not a tonne of points, but I think that's pretty good for a guy that's 6'4" and could be a physical force. Is this year discounted because he turned 20 this season and in the CHL? Considering these numbers and his size, I am wondering if there are any massive holes in his game because from the outside looking in, it's seems weird that he isn't even in our top 20 for prospects.

Good question and it's hard to answer. I know there were reports last year questioning his mobility and whatnot. Those are decent numbers for a guy that is a defensive defenseman/enforcer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Yup, have to think he's spending at least a good chunk of the season there.
I would think he'd spend the whole season there unless he is developing at a quicker then expected pace.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
jetkarma

Quote:

He can play in the AHL but also could be an overager in the OHL . I would think Winnipeg would much prefer him to play in the A however.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Said Mark had hit a wall which happens. I think he felt Mark needed to get to the point that he was dominating every night like Telegin is doing. sounded like at the point of the interview he might have been leaning towards Mark having one more year in Barrie. All that being said it is 5 months until training camp so we will have to see how much Mark physically changes. dale was really complimentary about Mark but said people have to remember it's only his second full season of juniors
Thanks for the info. If I was going to bet, I'd say he could use some more development here and there's no point in burning the first year of his ELC for him to play on the third or fourth line. Having said that, I wouldn't bet much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Thanks for the balanced viewpoint of Telegins speed and acceleration.......Dale compared him to Yvan Cournoyer which seems a bit far fetched
My pleasure, I'm not a scout...but in my view Burmistrov and Hutchings used to be absolutely lethal on the PK - best unit in the league - largely because of how they could chip the puck past the D and be by them for a breakaway or 2 on 0 break because of those first three steps. They had something insane like 14 SHG between them, most of which were odd man breaks. Ivan is wicked fast, but I haven't seen that level of acceleration from him yet.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

St. John's IceCaps 0 Norfolk Admirals 2
(FINAL)

Game Summary
http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1009650

Scoring
2. NOR Palat, (8) (Barberio, Johnson), 12:27 (SH)
2. NOR Panik, (19) (Ouellet, Johnson), 17:34 (PP)

Starting Goaltender
David Aebischer

Notes
IceCaps outshoot the Admirals 32-27, go 0/5 on the PP, 4/5 on the PK and take 8 PIMs

Norfolk continues with their amazing winning streak, now at 21 consecutive wins.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:44 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Wednesday, March 28

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Wednesday, March 28

Tri-City Americans 4 Everett Silvertips 3 (OT) (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/61486

(Tri-City wins series 4-0)

Zach Yuen, TC; G-1, A-0, Plus/Minus 0, PIM-0
Zach scores at 18:53 of overtime for the series winner

Moose Jaw Warriors 5 Regina Pats 4 (OT2) (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/61409

(Moose Jaw leads series 3-1)

Kendall McFaull, MJ; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus -2, PIM-0

Niagara IceDogs 3 Oshawa Generals 5 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/61451

(Series tied 2-2)

Julian Melchiori, OSH; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus +2, PIM-0

Kitchener Rangers 5 Owen Sound Attack 6 (OT) (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/61450

(Kitchener leads series 3-1)

Cody Sol, KIT; G-1, A-0, Plus/Minus 0, PIM-4
Cody scores his 2nd goal of the play-offs at 19:01 of the 3rd period to put the game into OT

Tomorrow's Games
no games

Friday's Games
Belleville Bulls (Austen Brassard) @ Ottawa 67's
Owen Sound Attack @ Kitchener Rangers (Cody Sol)
Regina Pats @ Moose Jaw Warriors (Kendall McFaull)

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 03-29-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old
03-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

62 15 23 38 180

Cody Sol is already signed to a contract by the Winnipeg Jets. He will for sure be in the mix in St. John's next year. Let's keep in mind Sol is not 20, he turned 21 in February. He was an overager, he is expected to dominate in juniors. You see this often where a guy who had 16-19 year old years with 5-15 points breaks out huge as an overager. He will have a decent chance in St. John's though.

Right now the Jets have Redmond, Melchiori, Chiarot, Sol, O'Neill all signed for next year. I imagine Negrin will be back as he is an RFA. Both Kulda and Postma are RFA, but both are waiver eligible and expect at least one to be in Winnipeg. Not to mention Festerling(RFA), Meech(UFA), Ramsay (AHL contract) and DeSantis (AHL contract). The competition will be fierce for playing time in St. John's next year, interested to see how things develop.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Zach Yuen won it for Tri Cities in the closing minutes of OT. He's had a great playoff campaign so far.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:50 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Pasquale didn't play last night due to an injury.

Even worse, Jaffray had to be helped off the ice, after what Brian Rogers described as a brutal hit and did not return

Old
03-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Cody Sol is already signed to a contract by the Winnipeg Jets. He will for sure be in the mix in St. John's next year. Let's keep in mind Sol is not 20, he turned 21 in February. He was an overager, he is expected to dominate in juniors. You see this often where a guy who had 16-19 year old years with 5-15 points breaks out huge as an overager. He will have a decent chance in St. John's though.

Right now the Jets have Redmond, Melchiori, Chiarot, Sol, O'Neill all signed for next year. I imagine Negrin will be back as he is an RFA. Both Kulda and Postma are RFA, but both are waiver eligible and expect at least one to be in Winnipeg. Not to mention Festerling(RFA), Meech(UFA), Ramsay (AHL contract) and DeSantis (AHL contract). The competition will be fierce for playing time in St. John's next year, interested to see how things develop.
Good Analysis Holden. That's kind of what I was thinking. His numbers look good now, but is this kind of his ceiling? In other words, is the org looking at him as a guy who could challenge in St. John's TC next year, or is he sort of an afterthought?

Like you said, competition will be fierce next year.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Zach Yuen won it for Tri Cities in the closing minutes of OT. He's had a great playoff campaign so far.
Is there a video of this somewhere?

That's great for Zach.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:

62 15 23 38 180

Sol is a below average skater and has to work on his mobility issues (he's definitely a project). I think he's closer to 6'5" also and his physical game is his bread and butter. He'll have a chance to make the Ice Caps squad, but his agility and skating are definitely road blocks that will need to be worked on to continue his development.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Is there a video of this somewhere?

That's great for Zach.
Here's highlights from the game last night, not a great camera angle unfortunately.

Zach's goal play starts at 1:24.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Here's highlights from the game last night, not a great camera angle unfortunately.

Zach's goal play starts at 1:24.
Nice, thanks.

Nice celebration there as well.

Old
03-29-2012, 02:13 PM
trouty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Pasquale didn't play last night due to an injury.

Even worse, Jaffray had to be helped off the ice, after what Brian Rogers described as a brutal hit and did not return
Brutil but hard clean hit.Even Rogers sait it was clean.Jaffrey got caught with a shoulder hit close to boards,he was just in a bad spot got decked clean.Bad for us but unlike what nhl and canadian media teach u,not every hit that injures someone is a pim dirty or suspendable.Cure for that thinking is turn off the crappy TSN Sportsnet CBC anything Canadian media touches.Get Well Jaffs

Old
03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
Brutil but hard clean hit.Even Rogers sait it was clean.Jaffrey got caught with a shoulder hit close to boards,he was just in a bad spot got decked clean.Bad for us but unlike what nhl and canadian media teach u,not every hit that injures someone is a pim dirty or suspendable.Cure for that thinking is turn off the crappy TSN Sportsnet CBC anything Canadian media touches.Get Well Jaffs

I made no inference about whether the hit was clean or not. In any case it's immaterial, as Jaffray looks to be joining the ever lengthening Caps injury roll.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:13 PM
trouty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I made no inference about whether the hit was clean or not. In any case it's immaterial, as Jaffray looks to be joining the ever lengthening Caps injury roll.
Go blame the NHL and their moronic new rules good job nhl and canadian media good thing you took out the toughness and added speed now all teams can enjoy 14 injuries. The nhl really thought those rule changes well lol

Old
03-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Quote:
Go blame the NHL and their moronic new rules good job nhl and canadian media good thing you took out the toughness and added speed now all teams can enjoy 14 injuries. The nhl really thought those rule changes well lol
What's with the hate for the Canadian Media? (Besides being Toronto centric).

I'm not getting the message from the Canadian Media that every hit that results in a injury is suspension worthy. Maybe it's just you.

You want to find a place where every hit that results in a injury is suspension worthy? Try the GDT on this website of the team of the injured player.

So if we all don't watch CBC, TSN, and Sportsnet, what does that leave us? Watching ESPN and their 24/7 college sports and NFL coverage?

Old
03-30-2012, 08:33 AM
trouty

Go get a good sportspack fox sportsnet any reginal american broadcast is 700 times better then Tsn.TSN is by far the biggest brainwashing channel single handed ruining hockey.Discussing a hit for a full period.Then anti fighting off the records.Honestly did we need to see that good Rangers Brawl 9000 times.They only shut up about it after the Keith elbow,thankfully.Watched american media mentioned once and saying how great the brawl was.Canadian media took every negative from it.I'd sooner teams have a brawl then go the nux hawks route.Thank god for AHL down here least if something borderline happens or a brawl it is droped after game and no one cares.My sportspack I get every reginial game and if I can't get the game on anything american I will go online and see a stream before tsn.It will show you on last day of season how pathetic CBC is on last day when they will air Leafs vs Habs. 14th vs 15th for the whole nation.TSN is fine for me as long as its not hockey that's just my opinion

Old
03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Huffer

hmmmm, you are welcome to your opinion, but I wouldn't consider FOX to be decent at sports or news. They are trash to me.

It seems a little bit hypocritical to say that "Canadian Media" like TSN is "brainwashing" while FOX news is one of the most bias media providers in existence.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Klingberg article

New interview/article with Carl Klingberg:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=624887

Old
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
hmmmm, you are welcome to your opinion, but I wouldn't consider FOX to be decent at sports or news. They are trash to me.

It seems a little bit hypocritical to say that "Canadian Media" like TSN is "brainwashing" while FOX news is one of the most bias media providers in existence.

^this

Trouty is a man of his convictions. Can't say I agree with him much or at all.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

At 1K.

Closed Thread