HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing with bruised ribs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2012, 05:26 AM
  #1
OprtnShtdwn
Registered User
 
OprtnShtdwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Playing with bruised ribs

Last Friday, during the 3rd Period of my game, I was carrying the puck by the right circle. I had the defenseman beat on the play and was able to get a good shot on goal. The defenseman in an effort to knock the puck away from me, dove to try and poke check the puck away.

Well, after my shot, he's momentum took himself into me and i ended up being "low bridged" basically flying over top of his body onto the ice. When I hit the ice, I ended up landing directly ontop of the blade of a stick into my rib cage. Basically, i was impaled by the stick in a sense.

Well, the next day I still had a big soreness in my ribs from the blow. So the doctors did X-rays and didn't find anything broken in there, diagnosing me with a rib contusion (bruised ribs). I'm on medication to reduce the swelling currently.

Now this brings me to my question for anyone whose had this injury before. I have 2 games Saturday night. In the first one, i'm the goalie and right after i'm skating out at center. I'd like to play these games, so does anyone have any suggestions on anything I can do to possibly put over the ribs, or something. Also, How long did it take anyone whose had this injury to get completely over and did you play at all with this injury?

Thanks to everyone who responds or even reads this in advance.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:33 AM
  #2
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 10,180
vCash: 500
I have but a long time ago. I have also had cracked/broken/torn cartledge.

From my experience ribs take a notoriously long time to heal because everything you do involves your core.

The last one I had a few years back took at least 2 months for the pain to be gone. I spent the first week taking 2-3 minutes just to get out of bed.

Moving, lying down, sneezing, coughing etc all hurt.

Id say there isn't much you can do but maybe wrap a tensor bandage around your body at the height the pain is at.

Of course ice rest etc.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:53 AM
  #3
OprtnShtdwn
Registered User
 
OprtnShtdwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
I was thinking of maybe trying to get a hold of a football rib vest, and wear that underneith the equipment. I'm just not sure for which it'll be more uncomfortable, playing goalie or skating out.

I know i'm going to be bumped on the ice so i'll have pain either way while playing. However, I do have the advantage that i'm helping a beginner class at 9:30 Saturday morning so i'll be able to see how hard and what all i'm capable to do in a morning skate situation.

As far as icing, my doctor actually told me on Saturday to just ice it until Wednesday, and then start to apply heat to the area. I'm hoping that means i'm at a good pace for recovery.

It's just weird because yesteday, it didn't bother me as much when I went to sleep, yet all day today (i work overnight), it really bothered me late into my shift.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:09 AM
  #4
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 10,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OprtnShtdwn View Post
I was thinking of maybe trying to get a hold of a football rib vest, and wear that underneith the equipment. I'm just not sure for which it'll be more uncomfortable, playing goalie or skating out.

I know i'm going to be bumped on the ice so i'll have pain either way while playing. However, I do have the advantage that i'm helping a beginner class at 9:30 Saturday morning so i'll be able to see how hard and what all i'm capable to do in a morning skate situation.

As far as icing, my doctor actually told me on Saturday to just ice it until Wednesday, and then start to apply heat to the area. I'm hoping that means i'm at a good pace for recovery.

It's just weird because yesteday, it didn't bother me as much when I went to sleep, yet all day today (i work overnight), it really bothered me late into my shift.
I think the intention by icing then heat is that the initial icing reducing swelling and inflammation but after a certain period of time the cold effects on the soft tissue are more "harmful" than helpful.

The heat helps loosen the soft tissue and muscles.

I'd say skating would be the safer option simply because you won't be twisting falling etc like playing goal.

Maybe the very would help but reall I find it's the type of injury that not much works simply because it's your core which is used in everything and it's "unstable" in that it flexes etc (breathing moving etc). Even with a padded vest if you get bumped the ribs will flex. If that makes sense.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:56 AM
  #5
izzy3
Registered User
 
izzy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
A year ago I got checked into the boards and somehow the knob of my stick rammed right into my ribs. Same as yours, they were bruised. It was about 6 weeks until I was able to play without much pain. The good thing is, even though it hurts, it is still OK to play, I had no issues apart from the distruction. You also might become a little contact-shy, cause it feels real bad if you have impact on it.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:11 AM
  #6
ChiTownHawks
Registered User
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
A year ago I got checked into the boards and somehow the knob of my stick rammed right into my ribs. Same as yours, they were bruised. It was about 6 weeks until I was able to play without much pain. The good thing is, even though it hurts, it is still OK to play, I had no issues apart from the distruction. You also might become a little contact-shy, cause it feels real bad if you have impact on it.
I agree with this. I bruised mine at the start of last season in nearly the same fashion as you did (got tripped by a guy and landed on with my elbow pad right in the ribs. It is an extremely annoying injury but I did not miss one game. I would say I was back to normal"ish" in about a month, but full recovery was probably closer to 2 months. As long as there are no fractures in the rib I don't think you really risk further injury, but playing on it will probably extend the healing time a little.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:26 AM
  #7
vapor11
Registered User
 
vapor11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Think of what is best for your team..nobody wants to sit out..only you will know if you are ready..If you are not going to be mobile and able to make the saves find a replacement

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
  #8
ironranger
Registered User
 
ironranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern MN/U.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
As was kinda said above the icing is to reduce swelling, the heat expands your blood vessels to allow more blood to help the area heal faster.

If you can deal with the pain then I would say play as you already went to the doctor so you know it isn't something more serious like an enlarged or ruptured spleen / kidney

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:08 PM
  #9
Barnzy02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: S. Philly
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
I bruised my ribs playing roller a couple years ago.

I played the rest of our season wearing lacrosse rib pads to protect myself from further injury, it was more annoying than painful and just left me a little winded as i wasn't able to take full deep breaths.

Barnzy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:37 PM
  #10
Ilrider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago Burbs
Country: United States
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OprtnShtdwn View Post
Last Friday, during the 3rd Period of my game, I was carrying the puck by the right circle. I had the defenseman beat on the play and was able to get a good shot on goal. The defenseman in an effort to knock the puck away from me, dove to try and poke check the puck away.

Well, after my shot, he's momentum took himself into me and i ended up being "low bridged" basically flying over top of his body onto the ice. When I hit the ice, I ended up landing directly ontop of the blade of a stick into my rib cage. Basically, i was impaled by the stick in a sense.

Well, the next day I still had a big soreness in my ribs from the blow. So the doctors did X-rays and didn't find anything broken in there, diagnosing me with a rib contusion (bruised ribs). I'm on medication to reduce the swelling currently.

Now this brings me to my question for anyone whose had this injury before. I have 2 games Saturday night. In the first one, i'm the goalie and right after i'm skating out at center. I'd like to play these games, so does anyone have any suggestions on anything I can do to possibly put over the ribs, or something. Also, How long did it take anyone whose had this injury to get completely over and did you play at all with this injury?

Thanks to everyone who responds or even reads this in advance.

Bruised ribs are the worst because you probably injured the intercostal muscles, and those keep hurting for weeks. I fell in the bathroom and hit my ribs on the bathtub two months back, and with no break detected on x-rays, it took a good 6 weeks to totally heal.

I just bruised my ribs again playing hockey Monday night when I hit bad ice and fell on my chest without supporting my fall.

Only you can decide if you can play, but rest is the best thing for this annoying injury. I would not wrap the ribs or anything, which can actually cause more harm than good. Antiimflammatories and pain meds are your best options to help in healing. Be conservative in returning to play.

Ilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:15 AM
  #11
OprtnShtdwn
Registered User
 
OprtnShtdwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Thanks everybody for the insight on this. I ended up playing both games on Saturday. In goal, it didn't really bother me too much at all. I wore a rib vest underneith my chest protector just in case.

After when I skated out, i decided to try and go without the rib vest. On my first shift i was bumped out on the ice and i literally couldn't breathe at all from the hit. I went into the locker room and threw the vest on and from that point on, I was able to breathe and play with really no restrictions at all. I just needed pressure on my ribs so that I couldn't fully expand my lungs.

I even took an mid ice hit which didn't effect me as much as I thought it would because of wearing the protection. So overall, everything was a success.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.