HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Gauthier & Bob Gainey Fired - Savard brought back in advisory role

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2012, 10:18 AM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreaterikku View Post
This. I mean, if Roy is not even in the Canadiens system next year and we learn that Molson didn't even bothered to call him up... it will be worse than the announcement of Cunneyworth as Head Coach. They is so much hype about him, that it would be a huge letdown if Quebec has him.
Roy is in no rush to make a choice.

His team is playing in the playoffs right now...

Coyotes are not moved yet from Phoenix and might go far in the playoffs (never know)...

If they are ever moved to Quebec City, he will ponder his options and see wht's best for him. DG ? headcoach ? DG & headcoach ? In Montreal ? in Quebec ?

Old
03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Bullsmith

Why today? Did PG decide to leave with 5 games left in the season? Did Gainey say do it right now, not in 10 days when the season's over? Or does Molson himself have this unbelievably bizarre way of doing things? The weird timing of this management group really sums up our year this year- firing Pearn hours before a game, Martin on the eve of a road trip and trading Cammy between periods. Just ****ing bizarre this club.

That said, YESSSSS!!!!! We can't do worse, certainly not with the amount of money we've pissed down the drain the last couple of years. Now we need strong new management and to clean up the mess PG left on the floor- Gomez, Kabs and Bourque all need to go. Wonder if they will.

Old
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
They need a GM who is YOUNG and understands the CURRENT state of the game.
One with clear vision. Who doesn't accept losing players for nothing. Who understands the game of asset management.

We need a GM with patience. One capable of seeing the big picture and not always looking at short-term fixes which set your franchise back consistently.
It depends, on the UFA market, I prefer short-term fixture than idiotic long term contracts like Gionta, Cammaleri, Spacek/Kaberle, etc.

What I don't want is crippling the team's budget with marginal players. If the right guy isn't available, fine, go with the short-term solution and wait.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Gainey's moves are a big part of what cost Gauthier his job. what was the collective cap hit of Gomez Gionta and cammy this year and what production did we get for 1/3 the cap?

Old
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Dripper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Why is Roy's name always connected to the potential future Quebec franchise?
I don't get it either. Main reason being the relationship between Roy and the Desmarais family.. and knowing the new Quebec team would be a property of Peladeau..

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
It better not be Julien Brisebois

Old
idk

Although I will not say I am saddened by the news that PG is now the former GM of the Montreal Canadiens, part of me feels he was never really given a fair chance. Most new GM's come in an clean house from top to bottom. PG sort of inherited the team (with Gainey's abrupt departure) and never really got to pick a head coach (Cunneyworth's appointment not withstanding - that was more of a urgent, need a coach now, kind of move) nor did he get to shape the administration (other than a shakeup of the scouting department, which we really can't evaluate at this time). At the same time another part of me wonders if he deserves such a chance - while there have been personal coups that have made an impact (Cole and Emelin) there are also a handful of experiences which I'm not sure should be made by anyone claiming to be an NHL GM. Pearn's firing hours before a game. Martin's firing without a replacement. PG's failure to prepare for the possibility of a season without Markov and the last minute desperation moves made to hide that, the Squid's mid-game trade to Calgary - they all smack of someone who is not quite comfortable in such an important role. His time as a pro-scout also does him no favours - Samsonov, Niinimaa and Pouliot (although the latter might also reflect poorly on Timmins) as well as Latendresse, Ribeiro and Kostitsyn the Younger all suggest that PG wasn't that great a pro-scout either.

Right now I hope whoever the new guy is he cleans up the house. From hockey operations the only guys I think are worth keeping around are Timmins (and I think I'd let Timmins identify the guys from his team who are worth keeping on - they've earned some protection) and Rynbend (and I only say this because I am woefully unqualified to say anything about a sports therapist). Everyone else - you might not have strictly earned dismissal, but this team needs a new direction and a GM who is providing that needs to make sure everyone buys in to the new plan.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Bloumeister
RIP Jean Béliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Who is going to run team day-to-day?
Let's put the tank on cruise control

Old
pezcore

does the firing inlcude puppet master Bob Gainey?

Old
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Roy is in no rush to make a choice.

His team is playing in the playoffs right now...

Coyotes are not moved yet from Phoenix and might go far in the playoffs (never know)...

If they are ever moved to Quebec City, he will ponder his options and see wht's best for him. DG ? headcoach ? DG & headcoach ? In Montreal ? in Quebec ?
I don't even know where I want him to go, Montreal or Quebec. But if I were him I would choose the Habs because it's a greater challenge but I would ask for both jobs.

Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gainey's moves are a big part of what cost Gauthier his job. what was the collective cap hit of Gomez Gionta and cammy this year and what production did we get for 1/3 the cap?
Habs have now to pay the no limit credit card + interests they gave to Gainey for his crazy shopping spree three summers ago.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:22 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I need a full time job. Maybe I should apply...
If you make Markov wear that hat to every game, you have my vote!

Old
03-29-2012, 10:22 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

PG wasn't as bad as ppl make him sound, for sure wasn't great, and deserves blame for the season, but ppl discredit some of the good he did, Emelin, Cole, hiring new scouting staff, that have done a good job so far, ppl blame him for scouting Gomez, but don't want to give him credit for other moves like Gorges, Hamrlik, Gill, who he probaly had as big of a say in those signings as Gomez.

But I'm glad the team is turning the page and gettting a new face.
And stop with the Gainey hate, the guy can't be fired, he doesn't hold an official job in with the team, he was advisor to PG because both were close.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:23 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
I don't get it either. Main reason being the relationship between Roy and the Desmarais family.. and knowing the new Quebec team would be a property of Peladeau..
The guy is KING (sic) in Quebec City. (Labaume is the Emperor) Born there, GM + coaching the Junior team since 7 years. Is that enough reasons ?

Last edited by habitue*: 03-29-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Habs have now to pay the no limit credit card + interests they gave to Gainey for his crazy shopping spree three summers ago.
with Gauthier has his head pro scout. both are retards and both should be canned, I won't miss either

Old
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We're seeing eye-to-eye in this. Guy would be too easy manipulated. The press would eat him for breakfast. We need someone that would told them to take a hike when the need arise. I don't want to see Gainey having any influence over Brisebois.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Why not Julien Brisebois?

Didn't get GM the Norfolk Admirals this year?

Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
PG wasn't as bad as ppl make him sound, for sure wasn't great, and deserves blame for the season, but ppl discredit some of the good he did, Emelin, Cole, hiring new scouting staff, that have done a good job so far, ppl blame him for scouting Gomez, but don't want to give him credit for other moves like Gorges, Hamrlik, Gill, who he probaly had as big of a say in those signings as Gomez.

But I'm glad the team is turning the page and gettting a new face.
And stop with the Gainey hate, the guy can't be fired, he doesn't hold an official job in with the team, he was advisor to PG because both were close.
Gauthier is born to be an assistant GM, not the GM.

Old
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcore View Post
does the firing inlcude puppet master Bob Gainey?
Hopefully a journalist ask Molson that.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Captain Saku

Woooo great news but Molson should've fired him in the middle of a game.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:29 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Well, he did fire him 5 games before the end of the season... that's pretty embarassing.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
Although I will not say I am saddened by the news that PG is now the former GM of the Montreal Canadiens, part of me feels he was never really given a fair chance. Most new GM's come in an clean house from top to bottom. PG sort of inherited the team (with Gainey's abrupt departure) and never really got to pick a head coach (Cunneyworth's appointment not withstanding - that was more of a urgent, need a coach now, kind of move) nor did he get to shape the administration (other than a shakeup of the scouting department, which we really can't evaluate at this time). At the same time another part of me wonders if he deserves such a chance - while there have been personal coups that have made an impact (Cole and Emelin) there are also a handful of experiences which I'm not sure should be made by anyone claiming to be an NHL GM. Pearn's firing hours before a game. Martin's firing without a replacement. PG's failure to prepare for the possibility of a season without Markov and the last minute desperation moves made to hide that, the Squid's mid-game trade to Calgary - they all smack of someone who is not quite comfortable in such an important role. His time as a pro-scout also does him no favours - Samsonov, Niinimaa and Pouliot (although the latter might also reflect poorly on Timmins) as well as Latendresse, Ribeiro and Kostitsyn the Younger all suggest that PG wasn't that great a pro-scout either.

Right now I hope whoever the new guy is he cleans up the house. From hockey operations the only guys I think are worth keeping around are Timmins (and I think I'd let Timmins identify the guys from his team who are worth keeping on - they've earned some protection) and Rynbend (and I only say this because I am woefully unqualified to say anything about a sports therapist). Everyone else - you might not have strictly earned dismissal, but this team needs a new direction and a GM who is providing that needs to make sure everyone buys in to the new plan.
And in the case of firing Martin, you're saying RC took his place and that Goat didn't have the chance to hire his coach. But what was stopping him from doing so? Him not hiring any coachs sent the message outthere than that PG planned to cruise for the rest of the season.

But I think nevermind his moves this year, i think Goat deserved to be fired just for his whole arrogant attitude. Reminds me so much of Pierre Pagé, it's uncanny.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Well, he did fire him 5 games before the end of the season... that's pretty embarassing.
And maybe he told him 5 minutes before sending the press release ?

Old
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
LOL

Can't lie, I'm happy. This isn't really a surprising and hopefully will also mean the end of Gainey's tenure with the team. Now all we can do is hope the replacement will be a good one.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Finally! Yet, the idea that Gainey will still be around is scary. I have no problem with the timing. The more the new guy has time to look at his team, the better it is…which is the only reason I assume firing Gauthier with that timing. No need to do that with Gainey taking charge again…

Closed Thread