HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey glove fit?

Old
03-28-2012, 02:27 PM
hlaverty06

vCash: 500
Hockey glove fit?

Hi,

I bought a new pair of Bauer Vapor gloves, they fit great on my hands put are loose around my wrists, is this normal?

If I shake my hands they wont fall off, its my first pair Btw

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's what they were designed for, yes. Gives you more freedom to stickhandle around the body.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:30 PM
theFinn

Yes, the cuff should be loose and cover enough of your wrist and forearm to almost meet up with the elbow pad. They should be sort of like loose winter gloves. You should have full range of movement as well, but they shouldn't slide around on your hands and cause chafing.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
hlaverty06

Appreciate it very much!

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
ChiTownHawks

Bauer has three main lines for their gloves. If you don't like that kind of feel go with the Supreme Line which is form fitting from the fingers through the wrist.

Bauer 4 rolls: Loose fitting all the way through, classic fit
Bauer Vapor: Anatomical in the fingers, looser in the wrist
Bauer Supreme: Anatomical fit the whole way through

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:59 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Hi,

I bought a new pair of Bauer Vapor gloves, they fit great on my hands put are loose around my wrists, is this normal?

If I shake my hands they wont fall off, its my first pair Btw
that's why bauer glove rule, amazing wrist mobility

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:09 PM
ironranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
that's why bauer glove rule, amazing wrist mobility
^THIS, I actually need a new pair cuz there is next to no palm left in my right glove but i like them too much to get rid of them ha

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Stickmata

Yes, precisely why I love my S17 gloves and hate the new S19 gloves.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Bauer has three main lines for their gloves. If you don't like that kind of feel go with the Supreme Line which is form fitting from the fingers through the wrist.

Bauer 4 rolls: Loose fitting all the way through, classic fit
Bauer Vapor: Anatomical in the fingers, looser in the wrist
Bauer Supreme: Anatomical fit the whole way through
Pretty much all the glove manufacturers do this now...I started off with a "traditional" 4 roll and didn't really like it because it was very loose. I switched to the "anatomical fit" Supremes and found it be a bit too restrictive in the wrists. Like goldilocks, the Vapors are just right for me. If you switch brands, they tend to call the Vapor fit "tapered".

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:45 PM
TrueBlue86

i'm just waiting for the APXs to come out in a month or so, so the vapor x 60s drop in price before i get a pair

Old
03-29-2012, 02:03 AM
JoeCool16

The Vapors are great. Decent finger movement, a fair amount of padding and good wrist mobility/protection. Awesome gloves.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
Pretty much all the glove manufacturers do this now...I started off with a "traditional" 4 roll and didn't really like it because it was very loose. I switched to the "anatomical fit" Supremes and found it be a bit too restrictive in the wrists. Like goldilocks, the Vapors are just right for me. If you switch brands, they tend to call the Vapor fit "tapered".
Oh yeah for sure. I had Reebok Pro Series before my x60s and I was looking for a closer fitting glove. My search is probably chronicled on here, but I think I tried on almost every glove on the market before landing on the Vapors.

I really liked the Eagle Talon's too (yes I know they are the one Eagle glove not made in Canada) and probably would have gotten them if they had the color I wanted at Total Hockey or Gunzos. Now that we are changing our home's to Capitals colors my gear options will really open up.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:59 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Oh yeah for sure. I had Reebok Pro Series before my x60s and I was looking for a closer fitting glove. My search is probably chronicled on here, but I think I tried on almost every glove on the market before landing on the Vapors.

I really liked the Eagle Talon's too (yes I know they are the one Eagle glove not made in Canada) and probably would have gotten them if they had the color I wanted at Total Hockey or Gunzos. Now that we are changing our home's to Capitals colors my gear options will really open up.
I did a pretty thorough review on my Talons and came away quite unimpressed... I'll link if you want.

Easton Synergy gloves are pretty underrated imo, they fit like a more tapered 4 roll style (in-between the two) and seen fairly well-made and designed. A no frills type of glove.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah I tried but couldn't get into the Talons. The cut was weird, can't remember what bugged me, but I just didn't like them.

I typically like a super tight fitting glove with good wrist mobility, but came to like a little more normal fit.

I was using a pair of 4-Rolls a size smaller than my 13" hands which were great but after re-palming never felt the same.

Now I'm using a pair of Warrior Koncept, which are really nice. Not too far off from Vapors in terms of fit, but they seem to fit my hands a little better, and the protection is pretty good.

I'm really dang picky about my gloves...was probably going to have to go custom but these ones seem to work.

Oddly I do kind of like the newer Bauer 4-Rolls which fit a bit tighter than the old ones. Again, just weird and picky.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:37 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I did a pretty thorough review on my Talons and came away quite unimpressed... I'll link if you want.

Easton Synergy gloves are pretty underrated imo, they fit like a more tapered 4 roll style (in-between the two) and seen fairly well-made and designed. A no frills type of glove.
Sure I would not mind seeing that link. It might help some others in the market for new mitts as well. I tried to search for the thread as I know you're a stickler for that , but I could not find it.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
do0glas

I have the vaper X:40 and i love them. only glove ive owned so far and besides my inline skates its the only equipment i splurged on a bit. though i have really small wrists, so i may need a little extra support, but the thing i like most about them is the finger setup.

they offer protection, but also allow you to easily grip the stick due to the material on the palm side.

would a wrist guard make my stickhandling suffer a lot? or should i just go with some wrist tape for extra support?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We can do reviews here as well, would be great to see. I think there's an "equipment review" prefix that could help to organize them (click on it and you get all equipment reviews).

Old
03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
would a wrist guard make my stickhandling suffer a lot? or should i just go with some wrist tape for extra support?
Slash guards shouldn't make a difference if you feel comfortable in them and they don't get in the way of your gloves or your elbow pads. I know guys who use them and have no issues. Usually tall and/or have short elbow pads. With my Jofas I have the opposite problem, cuffs being too long and hitting the forearm guard.

I don't understand taping your wrists though unless you are prone to sprains...that's a different issue.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Stickmata

Quote:

I've been looking for a glove that fits similarly to the now retired S17 in terms of loose on the wrists but nice feel in the hands and so far the only thing I've found is the EQ30 glove. Very similar feel and very different from all the other Easton gloves.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:14 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Slash guards shouldn't make a difference if you feel comfortable in them and they don't get in the way of your gloves or your elbow pads. I know guys who use them and have no issues. Usually tall and/or have short elbow pads. With my Jofas I have the opposite problem, cuffs being too long and hitting the forearm guard.

I don't understand taping your wrists though unless you are prone to sprains...that's a different issue.
do slash guards provide the same type of wrist "support" that say a bowling wrist guard does?

obviously in hockey you are using your wrists for pratically everything, and after an hour or so it hurts to try to control the puck with just my top hand. so when you say slash guards, im not looking for extra "protection" but more "support"

is it all the same thing?

Old
03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I've been looking for a glove that fits similarly to the now retired S17 in terms of loose on the wrists but nice feel in the hands and so far the only thing I've found is the EQ30 glove. Very similar feel and very different from all the other Easton gloves.
obviously im a complete noob, but what you just described is exactly how id describe my X:40's

Old
03-29-2012, 11:20 AM
ironranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
do slash guards provide the same type of wrist "support" that say a bowling wrist guard does?

obviously in hockey you are using your wrists for pratically everything, and after an hour or so it hurts to try to control the puck with just my top hand. so when you say slash guards, im not looking for extra "protection" but more "support"

is it all the same thing?
They might make ones that do something like that but the only ones i have ever worn are more like sweat bands that just wrap around your wrist and are stiffer with plastic ribbing in them, but this was a couple years ago so I don't exactly know whats available now

You could wear them more towards the hand to support the wrist but I always wore them farther back where I needed the protection and to not decrease wrist movement

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:22 AM
AIREAYE

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...5-eagle-talon/

Stickler? It seems that I have a reputation...cool!

Stickmata, I hope you're as excited as I am for the new RS glove line...I need to replace these Eagles!

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:54 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Stickmata, I hope you're as excited as I am for the new RS glove line...I need to replace these Eagles!
are you serious about the RS glove?

i don't know, just judging by the pics the gloves look horrible to me

looks like the manufacturer is trying too hard to make the glove cool looking, same as with the whole rs line

who knows, maybe it has an amazing feel but judging by reviews of easton gloves in general, they don't stack up to bauer

Old
03-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The RS line is certainly eye-catching being black, but it looks decent. Some of the better protective I checked out yesterday.