HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Ticket Prices & Availability

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
cobaltdap

vCash: 1626
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
right because at the same time earlier in the season when we sold our tickets we paid 200 each for for 75 dollars a piece, where were all the people screaming for our heads then? do you complain when you can get yankees or mets tickets for pennies on the dollar from stubhub? guess who owns those tickets.. its give and take and the market goes both ways.
Brokers are still scum, and this is a Ranger forum not a baseball forum. Thats your companies fault for buying up those tickets and having to sell them below cost.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
trueblue9441

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltdap View Post
Brokers are still scum, and this is a Ranger forum not a baseball forum. Thats your companies fault for buying up those tickets and having to sell them below cost.
wah cry me a river. why don't you blame people who have season tickets for selling a good portion of their seasons to brokers then. look at them and point the finger. its not a brokers fault if a season ticket holder comes to them to sell. its how we obtain a large portion of our sports tickets.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
right because at the same time earlier in the season when we sold our tickets we paid 200 each for for 75 dollars a piece, where were all the people screaming for our heads then? do you complain when you can get yankees or mets tickets for pennies on the dollar from stubhub? guess who owns those tickets.. its give and take and the market goes both ways.
simple supply and demand.

Also, be careful what you wish for. The Rangers could eliminate brokers from the equation very easily by simply pricing all their seats at FMV. You don't think the Rangers know that 400's start at $150 a piece on stubhub? Of course they do.

What is to prevent them from saying "1st round 400's are $125 each for STH and $150 through TM). They could do that, but chose to not to.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
cobaltdap

Quote:
wah cry me a river. why don't you blame people who have season tickets for selling a good portion of their seasons to brokers then. look at them and point the finger. its not a brokers fault if a season ticket holder comes to them to sell. its how we obtain a large portion of our sports tickets.
No one is crying, I got tickets. I am just sticking up for the people that see brokers for what they are, bottom feeders. I see no fault in season ticket holders selling tickets. Not all of them can make it to every game. They have lives that prevent them from getting to every game. Majority of them that do happen to sell are just trying to recoup money for what they paid for the season tickets. Your the kind of guy working for a bad company, trying to spin it off that your company is a saint. Brokers will never be liked, just facts.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post

Also, be careful what you wish for. The Rangers could eliminate brokers from the equation very easily by simply pricing all their seats at FMV. You don't think the Rangers know that 400's start at $150 a piece on stubhub? Of course they do.

What is to prevent them from saying "1st round 400's are $125 each for STH and $150 through TM). They could do that, but chose to not to.
oh of course they know that. they study that, my rep has even told me that they do.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
No one is crying, I got tickets. I am just sticking up for the people that see brokers for what they are, bottom feeders. I blame no fault in season ticket holders selling tickets. Not all of them can make it to every game. They have lives that prevent them from getting to every game. Majority of them that do happen to sell are just trying to recoup money for what they paid for the season. Your the kind of guy working for a bad company, trying to spin it off that your company is a saint. Brokers will never be liked, just facts.
im not saying my company is a saint. never tried to portray it as that. but all im saying is that the market works both ways. yes we sell tickets over face value, but we also sell them under face value and lose money. at the end of the day it is a business afterall, and if you don't like it, then don't use a broker. however, we have a number of clients who continue to use our services because of the way we do business. i would think that means we are doing something right and treat our customers the right way.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Any chance for a non STH to actually buy a pair of tickets from TM ?

Old
03-29-2012, 10:36 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
No one is crying, I got tickets. I am just sticking up for the people that see brokers for what they are, bottom feeders. I see no fault in season ticket holders selling tickets. Not all of them can make it to every game. They have lives that prevent them from getting to every game. Majority of them that do happen to sell are just trying to recoup money for what they paid for the season tickets. Your the kind of guy working for a bad company, trying to spin it off that your company is a saint. Brokers will never be liked, just facts.
let me ask you a question then. even before i knew the secondary market better, i always was able to sell my tickets on the open market for a profit, and actively looked to do so. does that make me unethical? or is it just okay because im a season ticket holder?

Old
03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Yeah I mean if you're going to get mad at brokers, than you'd have to get mad at STH's who sell their games for a profit on the secondary market or those that would buy extra playoff strips for the sole intent of making money off them. Fact is everyone does it now whether you're a broker or a STH.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Any chance for a non STH to actually buy a pair of tickets from TM ?
I don't know what's available currently as I haven't been by a computer but the Rangers are running another presale Monday for those that receive mobile updates and liked them on Facebook and Twitter and the general sale starts Wednesday. They definitely held back tickets for both of those.

03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
This is a futile discussion. Fans will never like resellers because they can't stomach that someone is making money off them. But those are the same fans that have no problem buying a house from someone for more than the seller originally paid. Somehow tickets are a magical thing that everyone has the right to buy at the cheapest price.

But it works both ways, as anyone who buys tickets on stubhub for Yankees games can tell you. So many people have been reselling Yankee tickets that they could be had for literally 5 cents plus fees. The bottom line is the market always works itself out. If a broker is charging you a 200% markup, you don't have to pay. If he finds someone that does, it means the tickets were worth that 200% markup. If no one pays, the broker has to adjust his prices accordingly. The benefit to resellers is having access to sold out events.

Would you rather have tickets available at a high price, or no tickets available at any price? Where I really think there's a problem is access to the primary sale. There should be ways to make sure as many actual fans get the tickets in the first place instead of brokers or resellers

Old
03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
cobaltdap

Quote:
let me ask you a question then. even before i knew the secondary market better, i always was able to sell my tickets on the open market for a profit, and actively looked to do so. does that make me unethical? or is it just okay because im a season ticket holder?
Depends, lets say you sell half your season to recoup the money you paid for the season tickets. Basically your lowering your cost to go see the games you can attend. No issue with that. If your buying tickets and not going to any games but stand to make a profit on every game, that's just taking away from the real fans. There is a big difference on how you view it.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Would you rather have tickets available at a high price, or no tickets available at any price? Where I really think there's a problem is access to the primary sale. There should be ways to make sure as many actual fans get the tickets in the first place instead of brokers or resellers
and even working for a broker i certainly agree with that. i do believe there should be some restriction on that so actual fans can go out there and get the tickets first. but how is ticketmaster or another vendor supposed to be able to tell who is and who is not a broker or reseller?

Old
03-29-2012, 10:48 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Depends, lets say you sell half your season to recoup the money you paid for the season tickets. Basically your lowering your cost to go see the games you can attend. No issue with that. If your buying tickets and not going to any games but stand to make a profit on every game, that's just taking away from the real fans. There is a big difference on how you view it.
no, it does not depend on anything its a straight yes or no question. if you're going to get mad at brokers for selling tickets over face, then you should get mad at me for selling my tickets over face as well. its just the way it works man.

everyone who has a chance to sell their tickets over face does now.. whether its a broker who has access to the tickets, or a season ticket holder. and that being said, the fans you're talking about don't have to buy the tickets at those prices. if the tickets dont get bought, guess what, the prices would go down. its an open market and its perfectly legal.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:51 AM
cobaltdap

Quote:
no, it does not depend on anything its a straight yes or no question. if you're going to get mad at brokers for selling tickets over face, then you should get mad at me for selling my tickets over face as well. its just the way it works man.
Agree to Disagree, it's not yes or no, cause BROKERS don't go to any games. They just sell. Continue working those phones lines...

Old
03-29-2012, 10:56 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

No they couldn't. They need to sell ALL of the tickets. Just because 200 tickets in the 400s sell for $150, doesn't mean 2000 will sell for that same price. You bring up supply and demand, but obviously you are not familiar with quantity demanded vs quantity supplied. The Yankees are the perfect example. They set their prices when the new stadium opened at what they felt was market value. As a result every Joe Shmoe bought packages with the thought, "I am buying 20-game package. I will sell 10 for double, and then I go for free." Well, when 10 people do this, it works. When 100 people, or 1000 people do this, it backfires. They wind up lowering their prices to get the tickets sold. When they lose money, they do not renew their package the following season and the Yankees are left calling people who previously bought practically begging them to buy seats. As much as the teams want to make every dollar possible, they also know they have to leave some meat on the bone for people who want to/need to sell for a profit.

Last edited by patnyrnyg: 03-29-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old
03-29-2012, 10:56 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Agree to Disagree, it's not yes or no, cause BROKERS don't go to any games. They just sell. Continue working those phones lines...
and there's something wrong with that?

Old
03-29-2012, 11:04 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Trueblue goes to plenty of games. I know because he sits in front of me.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
I have bought and sold on the secondary market for all kinds of things. More buying than selling. When I buy, I personally do not care if I am buying from a fan who is looking to unload some games or make some money to lessen their cost, or buying from a broker. Either way, I am paying the price I am willing to pay and giving my money as consideration.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
No they couldn't. They need to sell ALL of the tickets. Just because 200 tickets in the 400s sell for $150, doesn't mean 2000 will sell for that same price. You bring up supply and demand, but obviously you are not familiar with quantity demanded vs quantity supplied. The Yankees are the perfect example. They set their prices when the new stadium opened at what they felt was market value. As a result every Joe Shmoe bought packages with the thought, "I am buying 20-game package. I will sell 10 for double, and then I go for free." Well, when 10 people do this, it works. When 100 people, or 1000 people do this, it backfires. They wind up lowering their prices to get the tickets sold. When they lose money, they do not renew their package the following season and the Yankees are left calling people who previously bought practically begging them to buy seats. As much as the teams want to make every dollar possible, they also know they have to leave some meat on the bone for people who want to/need to sell for a profit.
I'm familiar with it, but we're comparing apples to oranges. The high end seats at Yankee stadium aren't exactly for the "common fan" and that was what this discussion was about.I'll go with it though and use your example to make my point.

The Yankees have made a very concious decision that brokers are not going to make money off of them (not their only motivation) They would rather sell for exorbinant prices to some and have empty seats than lower cost, sell all the seats, and have brokers make money off of them.

That was where my "Be careful what you wish for statement" comes from. The Rangers could do this as well if they chose to.

BTW I think they would sell 2000 seats in the 400's @ 150 a pop pretty easily if they chose to for playoff games.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Trueblue goes to plenty of games. I know because he sits in front of me.
I knew that was him! The games I went to I always had a feeling he looked familiar.

03-29-2012, 11:42 AM
MessierIsGod

Me personally, I hate the TM convenience, facility, service, ticketfast, wtf etc charges more than the brokers.

TM is the real villain. Think about it - they get access before anyone else (real fans , brokers, etc.) and those charges are essentially scalper mark-ups.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
I disagree. If it's such a big deal, how come they still buy the tickets? If they can't afford to buy tickets above face value, they can EASILY find someone else to get tickets from. My little brother and I were thinking about investing in Nets seasons just in case Howard goes there, and if we did, we would just sell them for way more than we bought them for. Good thing he stayed with Orlando, because I didn't get the tickets. If that would have panned out, I don't think there would have been anything wrong with it, even if I go to zero games since I hate basketball. If they are upset and such diehard fans, they should have got their tickets earlier.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:58 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
I'm familiar with it, but we're comparing apples to oranges. The high end seats at Yankee stadium aren't exactly for the "common fan" and that was what this discussion was about.I'll go with it though and use your example to make my point.

The Yankees have made a very concious decision that brokers are not going to make money off of them (not their only motivation) They would rather sell for exorbinant prices to some and have empty seats than lower cost, sell all the seats, and have brokers make money off of them.

That was where my "Be careful what you wish for statement" comes from. The Rangers could do this as well if they chose to.

BTW I think they would sell 2000 seats in the 400's @ 150 a pop pretty easily if they chose to for playoff games.
And, that is why the Yankees are idiots and you can get tickets for cheap. Even the cheap seats. My brother in law does it all the time. He will buy seats on stubhub at 3 pm the day of the game for $3 each, $5 each. Last year, he got upper deck seats for a game against Boston for $20 each.

I was making up numbers for the example as far as the 2000 seats scenario. Bottom line, they are not selling ALL the 400 seats for 150 each, wont even come close to selling them all, not for the first round. Secondly, just because the tickets are listed for $150 each on stubhub, doesnt mean they are selling at that price.

If you ever want to see a game of chicken when it comes to secondary market, follow stubhub for the 2 weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, including Super Bowl Sunday itself. If you check hourly, you will see the lowest tickets available drop about $5 each per hour.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
And, that is why the Yankees are idiots and you can get tickets for cheap. Even the cheap seats. My brother in law does it all the time. He will buy seats on stubhub at 3 pm the day of the game for $3 each, $5 each. Last year, he got upper deck seats for a game against Boston for $20 each.

I was making up numbers for the example as far as the 2000 seats scenario. Bottom line, they are not selling ALL the 400 seats for 150 each, wont even come close to selling them all, not for the first round. Secondly, just because the tickets are listed for $150 each on stubhub, doesnt mean they are selling at that price.

If you ever want to see a game of chicken when it comes to secondary market, follow stubhub for the 2 weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, including Super Bowl Sunday itself. If you check hourly, you will see the lowest tickets available drop about $5 each per hour.
Yep. I'm a Mets fan and wanted to check out Yankee Stadium for a baseball game last year (only had been their for the Pinstripe Bowl) and got tickets in the 420 right behind home plate for the Subway Series for $20.

The Rangers simply can't price tickets that high because it'll piss off the season ticket holders. No team can. It's alright for the prices to be like that on the secondary market but if the team starts making the prices that high, there will be problems.

Closed Thread