HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres still getting used to high-rent district

Old
03-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Sabres still getting used to high-rent district

Quote:
It took a while for the Buffalo Sabres to learn how to be a have rather than a have-not.

After years of being forced to be resourceful and get by with less, the acquisition of the team by billionaire Terry Pegula last summer and subsequent increase in the team’s payroll to the very heights of the NHL changed many things in Buffalo, some not for the better.

“I would characterize that as a learning process,” said Sabres GM Darcy Regier, carefully choosing his words. “And we’re still learning.”
Quote:
Regier suggests that all the money spent last off-season, including a massive chunk on big-money free-agent signings Christian Ehrhoff and Ville Leino, altered the “dynamic” of the Sabres organization and contributed to the club’s dreadful play in October, November and December. Regier had never had the kinds of funds available to him that Pegula made available, and he soon realized that adding big contracts can injure or at least alter the harmony of a dressing room.

“We’ve had what I call a burn-in period, a process of players getting comfortable,” he said. “But do I like it better this way? Oh yeah, I do.”

Regier was reluctant to even discuss his team’s improved fortunes, noting that 86 points isn’t enough to guarantee a playoff berth and “when you’re trying to win a championship it isn’t right to talk about these things.”
Quote:
Getting used to having money helped get the Sabres where they are. But no amount of money at this time of the year can keep them there if they don’t earn it.
http://www.thestar.com/article/1153414

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
Ugh, selfish Gerbe, always wanting more money.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Evgeni Giroux

people can say what they want about buffalos offeseason but which defence would you rather?

Butler Myers
Gragnani Leopold
Sekera Montadore
Weber

or our current

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

I guess that's why McCormick and Leino had that fight?

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I guess that's why McCormick and Leino had that fight?
Link?

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Link?
There was a video on WIVB I'll try to find it.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:01 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

I loved the Ehrhoff signing and still have no problem with it to this day. A $4 million cap hit for what he brings is a steal. Leino is a different story. I tried to convince myself that the signing would be ok, but to this point he's been a disappointment(obviously). I think the Sabres counted on him having at least 50 points this year.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Sabretip

I can't see how anyone would dispute the roster changes between last and this season being for the better - all of the arrivals are better than the departures (maybe Leino-Connolly is a wash):

OUT:
Montador
Connolly
Lalime
Grier
Butler
Kassian

IN:
Boyes
Ehrhoff
Regehr
Leino
Hodgson

It's the cost-to-production aspect that colors some of the additions in a questionable light IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Evgeni Giroux

I still have hope he can become a 50PT player and I think he will be better next season, even though he is 27 remeber than this is only his 3rd NHL season.

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I can't see how anyone would dispute the roster changes between last and this season being for the better - all of the arrivals are better than the departures (maybe Leino-Connolly is a wash):

OUT:
Montador
Connolly
Lalime
Grier
Butler
Kassian

IN:
Boyes
Ehrhoff
Regehr
Leino
Hodgson

It's the cost-to-production aspect that colors some of the additions in a questionable light IMO.
only one I'd want back is Kassian, not because of who he is as a player right now but just what he may could be.

Noone saw Boyes dropping so fast after helping the team to make the playoffs last season, Leino I won't judge yet, if he continues to not play up to par next season that's a different story.

Regehr, Ehrhoff, Hodgson have been homeruns.

since money is no problem anymore, I don't care if they pay ehrhoff a bazillion dollars this year only thing that matters in sabres land is the cap hit.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote