HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 77 | Detroit Red Wings @ Columbus Blue Jackets | 7:30 PM EST |NBCSN (HD)|

Old
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
silkyjohnson50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
the 5 seed is actually 7-5 against the 4 seed since the lockout

if you narrow it down to just the western conference instead of both conferences it's actually 5-1 in favor of the 5 seed since the lockout
History disagrees with you!

My goodness. It was an embarrassing loss, but how could anybody take anything away from this loss? If that Detroit team shows up during the playoffs I'll gladly admit I was wrong, but this was just a terrible case of Detroit playing down their opponent and looking ahead.

Honestly, I wouldn't even want to be a sports fan if I reacted to every single high and low the way that some of you do.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:04 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
the 5 seed is actually 7-5 against the 4 seed since the lockout

if you narrow it down to just the western conference instead of both conferences it's actually 5-1 in favor of the 5 seed since the lockout
Maybe. But looking at last year, when we lost game 7, would you want home ice or not?

Looking at our road vs home record this year, do you want to try to win potentially every series this season without home ice even once?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
based on what?

the fact that 2 of each seed have won it?
The playoff format with seeds was introduced in 1994. Since then only one #5 seed (or worse) has won the Cup - the Devils and that was a lockout season where it can be legitimately argued that after 82 games the Devils would have been better than a #5 seed.

Two #4 seeds have won, so that would be double the success rate.

It's hard to look at "seeds" before then, but the only other teams to have won the Cup without home ice in the first round since expansion were the Habs both in 93 and 71 if my memory is right. So in 45 years of hockey and among the hundreds of teams who have entered the playoffs as non-home ice teams it's been done three times.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Maybe. But looking at last year, when we lost game 7, would you want home ice or not?

Looking at our road vs home record this year, do you want to try to win potentially every series this season without home ice even once?
I guess i'd care more if I viewed Nashville as a serious threat

I just don't view them as being all that big an obstacle home ice or not if this teams going to do anything in the Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The playoff format with seeds was introduced in 1994. Since then only one #5 seed (or worse) has won the Cup - the Devils and that was a lockout season where it can be legitimately argued that after 82 games the Devils would have been better than a #5 seed.

Two #4 seeds have won, so that would be double the success rate.

It's hard to look at "seeds" before then, but the only other teams to have won the Cup without home ice in the first round since expansion were the Habs both in 93 and 71 if my memory is right. So in 45 years of hockey and among the hundreds of teams who have entered the playoffs as non-home ice teams it's been done three times.
I was referring to the 1980 Islanders actually

it was a 1-16 seeding setup back then so they had home ice in the first round but they were seeded 5th

so yeah the same amount of 4 and 5 seeds have won

Last edited by ricky0034: 03-29-2012 at 11:19 AM.
ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I dunno...
But the last time I "kronwalled" someone, it was because my forward was backchecking and the guy lost control of the ball, and had it in his feet. I stepped up to play the ball and knock it free, and he just kept running, so I made sure I braced... he went down like a sack of potatoes...
It was awesome! It was supposed to be a no hitting league, and somehow I didn't get called for the biggest hit of the season. He was OK though, just got the wind knocked out him. #shouldertochest (Brad Stuart Style)
and it might not matter what they do, other than fining/suspending guys to the point of discouraging hits to the head. Concussions that come from other hits, and incidental contact, we might have to live with. I don't think clutch and grab is going to equal fewer concussions, though, which is what seems to be the thought behind some of the changes being suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Very little but stats is stats.
But the stats aren't overly valid considering how little the difference is between playoff teams 1-8 is now in comparison to before the cap. this year, would you be overly shocked to see two of the top three seeds in either conference out in the first round? I wouldn't. Ten years ago, though, and I think it would have been a bit of a shocker.

03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
I was referring to the 1980 Islanders actually

it was a 1-16 seeding setup back then so they had home ice in the first round but they were seeded 5th

so yeah the same amount of 4 and 5 seeds have won
The 80 Islanders had home ice against the Kings in the 1st round, that's the relevant point here.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
What was weird in yesterday's game, I'm pretty freaking sure that it was the first loss of the season, when we score two PP goals and killed all the penalties we took.

League best 5-on-5 hockey has been our bread and butter at this season and at yesterday it disappeared totally.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Crymson

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post

My goodness. It was an embarrassing loss, but how could anybody take anything away from this loss? If that Detroit team shows up during the playoffs I'll gladly admit I was wrong, but this was just a terrible case of Detroit playing down their opponent and looking ahead.

Honestly, I wouldn't even want to be a sports fan if I reacted to every single high and low the way that some of you do.
Welcome to the land of spoiled Wings fans.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:42 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post

normally i would agree with you but we're at the point now in the season where every point is absolutely critical. if the preds beat us for the 4th seed and we go on to lose every road game in the in the series, this game is going to be looked at as the one that doomed the wings.

I don't mind the loss so much as the way the wings looked completely lazy and disinterested in the first 40 minutes. that is pathetic and inexcusable. and now as a result, it looks like howard is going to be rushed back to play tomorrow in order to stay ahead of the preds. when all they had to do was take care of business against the 30th ranked team in the league

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:01 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
normally i would agree with you but we're at the point now in the season where every point is absolutely critical. if the preds beat us for the 4th seed and we go on to lose every road game in the in the series, this game is going to be looked at as the one that doomed the wings.

I don't mind the loss so much as the way the wings looked completely lazy and disinterested in the first 40 minutes. that is pathetic and inexcusable. and now as a result, it looks like howard is going to be rushed back to play tomorrow in order to stay ahead of the preds. when all they had to do was take care of business against the 30th ranked team in the league
At least they came with the poor effort against Columbus and not tomorrow vs the Preds.

Getting shelled by them would not only cost us 4th, but give them a boost in confidence going into the playoffs.

I didn't like the idea of sitting Howard in this game just because it was his first game back. If he's healthy he should get a few games under his belt that have meaning so he's as ready as possible for the opening round.

If losing vs Columbus helps us win tomorrow it was worth the embarassment.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:07 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
What was weird in yesterday's game, I'm pretty freaking sure that it was the first loss of the season, when we score two PP goals and killed all the penalties we took.

League best 5-on-5 hockey has been our bread and butter at this season and at yesterday it disappeared totally.
Now that is quite interesting. hmmmmm. So we just got outworked 5 on 5. Well.... I don't know whether to be more angry about that or not.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:21 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post

I understand your stance, but i think it's overblown. Would Detroit rather been seeded 4th? Absolutely. But Detroit being seeded 4th instead of the 5th will not be the diffence between them winning or losing the Cup this season. Even if they were the 1st seed, a championship team will have to win road games. They're simply not going to win every single home game on the way to a Cup. Championship teams find ways to get it done, home or away. And if this particular team is a championship team, then i promise you that they will have some big road wins. And if they don't then they weren't a championship team.

Obviously the regular season has been disappointing on the road, but the regular season is exactly that - the regular season. The playoffs are a different animal and essentially a new season.

As far as the last game goes, it was absolutely embarrassing. They should be ashamed of their performance. But Detroit has clearly been a team that has played down to their opponents this season. Simply look at some of their worst losses this season: Columbus (twice), Montreal, NYI. Were these losses a case of Columbus, Montreal and NYI (the worst teams in the NHL) being a bad matchup for Detroit? Not at all. It's simply the case of a veteran team playing down to their opponents. I don't think anybody can take anything other than that from those games.

Lastly, it's not like the 4th seed has gone by the wayside because of that one game. Was it a big opportunity to take advantage of? Of course it was. But Detroit still has 5 games to claim that 4th seed.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

^Look at it this way-given how the standings work, all 5th has to do is beat 4th and there's no difference after. If we get past Nashville, it won't matter of we placed 4th or 5th, as nothing would be different. And if we want to, we can make the Preds look bad. We've done it before. Nashville doesn't match up well against us, and the only times they've beaten us this season would be when we were dogging it and let them. When we actually try, we skate circles around them. All we have to do is give it our all and we'll win.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote