HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why was P.A. Parenteau discarded with such ease?

Old
03-29-2012, 11:48 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Why was P.A. Parenteau discarded with such ease?

Did I miss something, but this guy really impressed me, last year.

Why in the lord's name would we get rid of him, while we sign guys like EC and acquire John Mitchell.

PAP has 65 points.

Richards has 61.

Yes, I realize he's benefiting from being on a line with Tavares, but still, the guy has a lot of skill.

What gives??

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Because he was a one dimensional player who was seeking an opportunity to become a big time player on a less competitive team.

He was a third liner here and, with Gaborik and Callahan on the right side, he was not a threat to advance any time in the near future. He just so happened to strike it rich.

03-29-2012, 11:53 AM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

did i miss the memo on PAP appreciation week or something?

AdamBanks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
we want cup
We do not Sow

Whenever the question comes up of whether to keep or get rid of a certain player, I ask myself one question:

Would the Red Wings want this guy?

For PAP, I'm pretty confident the answer would be a resounding "No."

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post

PAP has 65 points.
About 48 of them are against the Rangers

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Because he was a one dimensional player who was seeking an opportunity to become a big time player on a less competitive team.

He was a third liner here and, with Gaborik and Callahan on the right side, he was not a threat to advance any time in the near future. He just so happened to strike it rich.
I mean, I get that, but it just seems we did a poor job of talent evaluation, here. It's not like we're scoring 5 goals a game, and can just toss "one dimensional" players aside. I was always impressed with his game, and it just bothers me that he went to the Islanders and is now a star in the making.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Not enough jam.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
I mean, I get that, but it just seems we did a poor job of talent evaluation, here. It's not like we're scoring 5 goals a game, and can just toss "one dimensional" players aside. I was always impressed with his game, and it just bothers me that he went to the Islanders and is now a star in the making.
PAP was a AAAA player to use a baseball term. He's run hot with Tavares but there wasn't room for him to play here and certainly not room for him to get 1st PP time.

He's getting prime ice time on a terrible team, not the first guy to put up points in a spot like that. He's got decent not great speed, decent not great agility, strong puck control, above average vision and passing, and an ok shot. That's the same makeup as 2/3 of the AHL lifers who play top 6 minutes there. They don't get to play with two guys who can straight bury it like Tavares and Moulson so they don't have like 50 asssists right now like he does.

Location, location, location.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
PAP was a AAAA player to use a baseball term. He's run hot with Tavares but there wasn't room for him to play here and certainly not room for him to get 1st PP time.

He's getting prime ice time on a terrible team, not the first guy to put up points in a spot like that.
This doesn't change the fact that he's more effective than most of the players on this team. Period.

A terrible team? Dude look at our PP for most of the year... it's been disgusting.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
This doesn't change the fact that he's more effective than most of the players on this team. Period.

A terrible team? Dude look at our PP for most of the year... it's been disgusting.
yeah, but he wasn't when he played for us. he didn't get a legit chance like he has in Long Island, nor did we have anyone like Tavares to excavate his game. In fact, I would credit Tavares with PAP's PP success, and less so PAP. In the Rangers world of "woulda/coulda" letting PAP go is kinda low on my list.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:

Actually those factors specifically create a situation where he seems more effective. He's getting offensive zone start minutes, 1st PP minutes, linematching minutes against the other teams worst players. This stuff adds up.

Our PP being poor most of the year has nothing to do with their team being terrible. Also he plays on the half wall on the PP, our offense doesn't come from there unless Gaborik decides it does on his own and he wouldn't really help.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:24 PM
boredmale

As an Islanders fan I can tell you even though he got 51 points last year he wasn't that good. He vastly improved this year as a player. All that being said the only way I sign him if I am a team is if I could use somebody on the right hand boards for my PP. If you have somebody already in that role he will have alot less points.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:27 PM
OverTheCap

PAP on the Rangers was like Wolski... he had skill but was streaky on offense, he didn't backcheck or play well defensively, etc. During our "playoff" game against Philly in 2010, he took two bad penalties, one of which resulted in Philly tying the game, and that pretty much sealed his fate as a Ranger.

Parenteau can fit in fine on a team like the Islanders that doesn't really preach defensive responsibility. But on this current Rangers squad? Forget about it. Some players are just not built for this type of team.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

He's leeching off of JT and MM. One is an excellent passer, the other one is consistently a 30 goal scorer. PAP just needs to skate with his stick on the ice, and with those two, really not do anything else.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
He's leeching off of JT and MM. One is an excellent passer, the other one is consistently a 30 goal scorer. PAP just needs to skate with his stick on the ice, and with those two, really not do anything else.
I would make that argument last season but this season he has generated many goals himself with some good passes

Old
03-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I would make that argument last season but this season he has generated many goals himself with some good passes
Helps that JT and MM both know how to put the puck in the net.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
I still don't even think he's that good..

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Levitate

He was pretty terrible away from the puck with the Rangers and with the Islanders in his first year.

I get the feeling he's still pretty bad away from the puck but might have improved some there

But he feels like the kind of player Tortorella would bench because he's not paying enough attention to the details that have made the Rangers one of the elite teams in the league

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:44 PM
GAGLine

Some team is going to give him big money this offseason and then regret it. He won't duplicate those numbers anywhere else because he won't get the same opportunities and more will be expected of him in other areas of the game.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Sometimes that happens. PA is not as good as Gaborik or Callahan, and as such would never get the quality minutes here he does with NYI.

Its not like we coughed up Matt Moulson who would be a perfect fit for this team's needs , like the LA Kings did. We legitimately gave him several chances and he didn't come through.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Hartford Mike

Guy was in Hartford for 3 or so years, Its not like the Rangers missed the boat on this guy, for all the upside the guy has, he has never really addressed the deficiencies in his other aspects of the game. If he was still with the Rangers he would likely be on the 3rd line not producing and getting torched by fans for his lack of defensive game.

While the guy has awesome offensive acumen, he is playing with 2 guys who make guys even better.

Hartford Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
mrhockey193195

Parenteau was a guy who needed a lot of minutes and a lot of time on a top line to develop his offensive skills and live up to his potential. He wasn't going to get that here, he got that on the Island, and props to him for taking advantage of it and turning into a very solid player.

That being said, I'm not upset we let him go. He would not have seen his full potential here.u

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:04 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He was pretty terrible away from the puck with the Rangers and with the Islanders in his first year.
The biggest thing that annoyed me last season was he made alot of bonehead plays(either terrible passes or missing easy opportunities), he's greatly reduced on those this year. As Mr Hockey above pointed out he definitely needed alot of time to work some kinks out of his game. All that being said I still stand on my comments that the only teams that should be remotely interested in PAP are teams that have strong centers and looking for complimentary wingers, and need a guy for the PP on the right hand side. I think it's a case you can't fit a square peg into a round hole and expect him to be as productive.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I bet I would have 65 pts if I got to play with Tavares. Forget PAP, how do we steal Tavares from the Isles? Would make a much more "spirited" thread imo

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Some team is going to give him big money this offseason and then regret it. He won't duplicate those numbers anywhere else because he won't get the same opportunities and more will be expected of him in other areas of the game.
Some Team = Buffalo

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote