HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Pick the game 1 playoff roster - win bragging rights!

Old
03-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Beninnola
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Pick the game 1 playoff roster - win bragging rights!

Hi, I've been lurking awhile, decided to move my posting to this site.

I've noticed on various places many people giving their opinion for our playoff roster. I thought it would be fun for those interested to submit a guess at game 1s roster, full line-ups, since there are so many contributors who will sit for at least some playoff games.

Obviously knowing the matchup would help but we do not have that luxury today (thanks to Van and the entire Pacific Division) but its safe to say our first round opponent will be either the Kings, Sharks, Stars, Coyotes, or Flames.

So place your guess or what you would prefer for our game 1 line-up and argue why if you would like. Here is mine:

Offense:

Line 1 - Perron, Backes, Oshie
I know Steen was rocking on the top line for the first 20% of the season but the last 40+ games have created a chemistry that I do not think Hitch will mess with.

Line 2 - Amac, Bergy, Stewart
Yeah, Stewart has been a let down but while Amac was in the line-up this line was on fire. Plus Stewart brings the size needed in the playoffs. He's close to being a contributor, just needs to build confidence in my opinion.

Line 3 - Steen, Arrnott, Langenbruner
This line is a BEAST and will play so much we will forget they are a third line. Yeah Steen is top 6 on this and any other team in the league but the Blues depth expands the responsibilities of the traditional lines and being on thei 3rd line on this team is not an insult.

Line 4 - Sobotka, Nichols, Dags
This depends on a lot: Dags post injury performance, the need for Reeves based on the match-up, etc. I don't see a game Sobotka misses, I see Nichols getting time just because of face offs and the Blues lack of depth at center.

Subs:
Reeves will play on matchup
Porter will play of Dags isn't together and no need for Reeves
Schwartz is the Top 9 winger sub for injury
(I love how Reeves plays and hits but doesn't take dumb penalties - I wish this roster let him in more)

Defense:

Pie Cola

This works, Jackman Pie doesn't. It's worked to the point that Pie is a post season hardware contender. If it ain't broke dont fix it.

Jackman Shattenkirk

Solid

Russell Polak

Sorry Huskins but Polak brings more than you do. Obviously the knee "bruise" will impact this but from what we've been told its not going to impact playoff readiness. Obviously if it's not better/conditioning isn't there its Huskins.

Cole replaces on injury only.

Goaltender

Halak, but tonights Chi game could rock the boat.

So what do you think the game 1 roster will be?

Can't wait.

Beninnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:00 AM
tlp2007

vCash: 105
Delete- Double Post

Last edited by tlp2007: 03-29-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Double post
tlp2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:01 AM
tlp2007

vCash: 105
Steen-Backes-Oshie
AMac-Berglund-Perron
Schwartz-Arnott-Stewart
Sobotka-Nichol-Langs

Cola-Petro
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Halak

tlp2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'll make a guess later, but I think the roster may depend a little on who the opponent is (as far as whether Reaves is in the line-up). I'm not talking about having a goon/fighter out there either, but an energetic big bodied hitting machine.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Steen - Backes- Oshie
AMac - Berglund- Perron
D'Ags - Arnott - Stewart
Sobotka - Nichol - Langs

Cola- Petro
Jacks - Shatts
Russell - Polak

Halak

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Kreegz2

I'm not gonna make a prediction, I'm just going to go on record saying that Reaves had better be dressed. He plays an incredibly intense physical game that is suited perfectly for the playoffs.

Kreegz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:55 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Perron-Backes-Oshie
Mac-Berglund-Stewart
Steen-Arnott-Langenbrunner
Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves

Cola-Petro
Jax-Shatty
Russell-Polak

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:34 AM
MedicBluesFan443

I'll Play your reindeer games!

First Line I think you have to go with what is currently hot.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
This line has worked as well as any combination Hitch has used this season and I think keeping this together will bode well for the Blues. Oshie is the Energy guy, Perron has the Mr. Dangles skills and Backes is the complete Two way guy who hits, skates, passes, and creates havoc in front of the oppositions net. Leave it alone hitch!

Second Line Roll on Mr. Vroom vroom pahhtiiieee stahhtaaa
Mcdonald-Berglund-D'Ags
McDonald gives this line Speed and offensive swagger. When he plays McDonald boosts this offense immensely! Berglund has morphed into a very solid two way player and is starting to catch fire and learn his big body can be used to create the space he needs to light the lamp. D'Ags gives this line even more speed. Berglund supplies the large body up the middle and Matt is another crafty target for dishes from Berglund or an active defensive core.

Third Line is beastly

Steen-Arnott-Stewart

Steener gives this third line two way reliability. His relentless pursuit of the puck and no quit attitude will allow Chris Stewart to play a little less physical and concentrate a bit more at getting in front of the net for the tip play. Steener will hopefully take away some of the glaring deficiencies that Chris Stewart has shown when battling in the corner for puck possession. Arnott is the glue for this line. So goes Arnott So goes this line. If Arnott is playing well and has his legs under him it will give Stewart the guidence needed to perform the way he should. When Stewart plays with Arnott he is a different guy. What else can you say about Arnott other then the fact he knows how to get shots through to the net and on goal. Jason also has done some damage putting in rebounds this season as well. This line could be very very good for the Blues if it can stay healthy!

Fourth line dilemma...
What the hel! does one do for the fourth line...

After thinking about this for awhile I thought I would put together the most versitile line I could come up with..

Sobe-Nichol-Langs

Yep no Schwarts, no Reaves, No Crombeen....

It kind of pains me to have to sit Reaves. Ryan has played such a great season and I am truly proud of the player that he has become. With that said though I think the above fourth line gives you the best of all facits of the game. Sobe even for a little guy can handle just about any opponent and will not get pushed around. He is good with the puck and can slide over to take key face offs if needed. Nichol- Also a smaller guy but I wouldnt tell him that. With the highest face off % win on the team you can not sit Nichol. As we have seen face off wins = possession time. The more possession time the Blues get the better they have been this season. Langs.. Even though Langs has lost a step or two in his stride over the years you can not discount the leadership and presence he brings to the bench. When the chips are down there won't be many others on the team that will work harder in the dirty areas to get the team headed back in the right direction. As for Jaden... The kid is obviously going to play in many games in the playoffs this season ( provided we dont make a quick exit which we will not.). I just think for the first game a presidence has to be set and Jaden should pay close attention to how playoffs games unfold and at the hightended pace that they are played. Chris Porter- Chris will obviously be a go to guy should anyone come down with an injury. Other then that I am not sure he gets into many games. It isnt a knock on the guy but it is just a gut feeling that I have.

Cola-Pietro
Jacks- Shatty
Russel- Polak

Goal Halak

Hope some of my ramblings make sense and most of all LET'S GO BLUESSSSSS!

MedicBluesFan443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:48 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreegz2 View Post
I'm not gonna make a prediction, I'm just going to go on record saying that Reaves had better be dressed. He plays an incredibly intense physical game that is suited perfectly for the playoffs.
I would not have Reaves dressed in game 1. I'd see where the series went from there. I'd much rather the team be able to roll 4 scoring lines. That type of depth would be hard to defend against for 60 minutes. Oshie and Backes are more than capable of bringing the energy without taking a hit in the goal scoring department to get it.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Beninnola
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBluesFan443 View Post
I'll Play your reindeer games!

First Line I think you have to go with what is currently hot.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
This line has worked as well as any combination Hitch has used this season and I think keeping this together will bode well for the Blues. Oshie is the Energy guy, Perron has the Mr. Dangles skills and Backes is the complete Two way guy who hits, skates, passes, and creates havoc in front of the oppositions net. Leave it alone hitch!

Second Line Roll on Mr. Vroom vroom pahhtiiieee stahhtaaa
Mcdonald-Berglund-D'Ags
McDonald gives this line Speed and offensive swagger. When he plays McDonald boosts this offense immensely! Berglund has morphed into a very solid two way player and is starting to catch fire and learn his big body can be used to create the space he needs to light the lamp. D'Ags gives this line even more speed. Berglund supplies the large body up the middle and Matt is another crafty target for dishes from Berglund or an active defensive core.

Third Line is beastly

Steen-Arnott-Stewart

Steener gives this third line two way reliability. His relentless pursuit of the puck and no quit attitude will allow Chris Stewart to play a little less physical and concentrate a bit more at getting in front of the net for the tip play. Steener will hopefully take away some of the glaring deficiencies that Chris Stewart has shown when battling in the corner for puck possession. Arnott is the glue for this line. So goes Arnott So goes this line. If Arnott is playing well and has his legs under him it will give Stewart the guidence needed to perform the way he should. When Stewart plays with Arnott he is a different guy. What else can you say about Arnott other then the fact he knows how to get shots through to the net and on goal. Jason also has done some damage putting in rebounds this season as well. This line could be very very good for the Blues if it can stay healthy!

Fourth line dilemma...
What the hel! does one do for the fourth line...

After thinking about this for awhile I thought I would put together the most versitile line I could come up with..

Sobe-Nichol-Langs

Yep no Schwarts, no Reaves, No Crombeen....

It kind of pains me to have to sit Reaves. Ryan has played such a great season and I am truly proud of the player that he has become. With that said though I think the above fourth line gives you the best of all facits of the game. Sobe even for a little guy can handle just about any opponent and will not get pushed around. He is good with the puck and can slide over to take key face offs if needed. Nichol- Also a smaller guy but I wouldnt tell him that. With the highest face off % win on the team you can not sit Nichol. As we have seen face off wins = possession time. The more possession time the Blues get the better they have been this season. Langs.. Even though Langs has lost a step or two in his stride over the years you can not discount the leadership and presence he brings to the bench. When the chips are down there won't be many others on the team that will work harder in the dirty areas to get the team headed back in the right direction. As for Jaden... The kid is obviously going to play in many games in the playoffs this season ( provided we dont make a quick exit which we will not.). I just think for the first game a presidence has to be set and Jaden should pay close attention to how playoffs games unfold and at the hightended pace that they are played. Chris Porter- Chris will obviously be a go to guy should anyone come down with an injury. Other then that I am not sure he gets into many games. It isnt a knock on the guy but it is just a gut feeling that I have.

Cola-Pietro
Jacks- Shatty
Russel- Polak

Goal Halak

Hope some of my ramblings make sense and most of all LET'S GO BLUESSSSSS!
I like! Dags with Amac + Stewart with Steen sounds scary. Wonder where Dags fits in tonight...

And wonder if Hitch would "demote" Arrnott a game or two. Just a shorter 4th line game now and then or a phantom injury pre-playoffs would be cool with me if it was just to support his endurance.

Beninnola is offline   Reply With Quote