HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus wants Gardiner, Kadri, and 2012 1st round pick in exchange for Rick Nash

Old
03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
MrLegend28

vCash: 500
Anyone else love Leaf fans? By reading 2 pages of comments Rick Nash is now overrated lol. At the deadline he was the savior of this team!! Now hes overrated lol. Only in Toronto

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Question for you guys. Would you do it if they made it the leafs first in 2013 with the other 2 pieces mentioned? The leafs would have to send one of it's bad contracts their way for sure to make it plausible though. So say the package was Kadri, Gardiner, Connolly and TO 2013 1st for Nash. Would leafs fans be more inclined to make the trade?
No. Gardiner is the dealbreaker, as he was at the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Anyone else love Leaf fans? By reading 2 pages of comments Rick Nash is now overrated lol. At the deadline he was the savior of this team!! Now hes overrated lol. Only in Toronto
So you think the original post is fair value? A 7th pick, a top 5 pick and a top defensive prospect, that seems fair value to you?

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Kulemon

I think Galchenyuk will be better than Nash so I wouldn't do the deal even if Gardiner was removed.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:35 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
If we sign Schultz, are people okay with this deal? Would Schultz make Gardiner expendable? I wouldn't do this. But I bet the price lowers over the off-season.
This idea is such a huge facepalm moment. Schultz will sign here because of Gardiner. Trading away Gardiner pretty much ends the chances of Schultz re-signing here. What'sthe point?

I wouldn't do this trade. Nash should just request a trade to Toronto.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Question for you guys. Would you do it if they made it the leafs first in 2013 with the other 2 pieces mentioned? The leafs would have to send one of it's bad contracts their way for sure to make it plausible though. So say the package was Kadri, Gardiner, Connolly and TO 2013 1st for Nash. Would leafs fans be more inclined to make the trade?
i might do that ... ONLY if the pick is lottery protected

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Teams would have known that even if the Public didn't.
It doesn't matter. Nash went to Columbus privately about the issue. At best, teams would've negotiated based on speculation but now they know for a fact that Nash wants out. Between your fellow GMs knowing that you have a quality player that needs to be traded because he doesn't want to be there and that quality player having a no trade clause in effect, I see Columbus holding very little power in the situation.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Take out Gardiner for Franson, Kadri for Ashton/Colborne, and I would consider it.

There currently is no other player in the entire organization with Kadri's skill-set to look forward to. Its not a matter of trading this guys point totals for another guy's point totals, you can't say "Kadri will never be a 40G PWF." That's not the point, you must look at players as pieces to a team. Without Kadri, there is no one else to replace him with those hands and vision to go with that edge he plays with.

The way I see it, is the upgrade from Lupul to Nash, taking salary into account, worth all that? That's how it must be looked at. And when considering this team's strengths/weaknesses, its an easy no from me.

Lebanese Leaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:38 PM
JackJ

Burke will definitely be offering the 1st +, but our selection will be high enough to not warrant Gardiner.

If I had to guess: 2012 1st + Kadri + Reimer + Schenn

God only knows who will be centering Nash.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:40 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
unlike what most people think, Connolly's contract isn't untradeable nor is it restricting the team.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:40 PM
mohare

Assuming we finish with a lottery pick, a straight swap of 1st for Nash is almost fair. Toronto would need to throw in something, but not a Gardiner/Kadri. More likely a NHL roster player.

mohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Stephen

Since then the Leaf's first has skyrocketed in value and they've struggled even more, so given the direction things have gone, I doubt Burke pays the higher price at the draft than when the deal would have had a bigger immediate impact at the deadline.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Burke will definitely be offering the 1st +, but our selection will be high enough to not warrant Gardiner.

If I had to guess: 2012 1st + Kadri + Reimer + Schenn

God only knows who will be centering Nash.
I think Burke is sick and tired of trying to find a No #1 Centre through the trade route. He's been personally scouting OHL games recently so that means that unless they get "a too good to pass up" kind of deal then he's without question keeping the pick.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Pierre Gotye

While exploring moving Kadri doesn't bother me, I do not feel that Rick Nash is worth that price, especially considering his contract terms.

It's clear that Jake Gardiner has a very bright future ahead of him. With more ice time and maturity he could develop into a top 10 defenseman.

A top 5 pick is a hard thing to move also. Rick Nash would bring another element to this team, but it still wouldn't solve our #1C, #1 D or goalie problems.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
unlike what most people think, Connolly's contract isn't untradeable nor is it restricting the team.
And you know this how?

Old
03-29-2012, 12:51 PM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
While exploring moving Kadri doesn't bother me, I do not feel that Rick Nash is worth that price, especially considering his contract terms.

It's clear that Jake Gardiner has a very bright future ahead of him. With more ice time and maturity he could develop into a top 10 defenseman.

A top 5 pick is a hard thing to move also. Rick Nash would bring another element to this team, but it still wouldn't solve our #1C, #1 D or goalie problems.
That pick wouldn't have been top 5 at the time though, would've been a bubble lottery pick. Take Gardiner out of that deal though, maybe Burke makes it, and then who knows how badly it comes back to bite him. Personally I doubt Nash would've prevented our collapse, so in this case it's probably for the best Burke didn't do it.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Your completely missing the point. No one is saying he's overrated. His value is being measured by what has to be given in order to acquire him. The package speculated in this thread is a very steep price to play for Nash. No, that doesn't mean that he's all of a sudden overrated and that no one cares or wants him on the team, it simply means that the Leafs aren't in a position to make that kind of a deal and if that's what it would take to get him, then we're better off keeping what we have and leave Nash to Columbus or some other team. For a team that's in the Leafs position, very few players in the league are worth giving up that kind of youthful potential - many here just seem to agree that Nash is not one of those players.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:54 PM
FrozenJagrt

Columbus can get bent.

How about Lupul, Schenn, Kadri and Percy for Nash and their 2012 first?

O, u no lyk dat Howson?

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Is Howson out of his mind?!

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:56 PM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
No one is saying he's overrated.
He is overrated.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
I think Burke is sick and tired of trying to find a No #1 Centre through the trade route. He's been personally scouting OHL games recently so that means that unless they get "a too good to pass up" kind of deal then he's without question keeping the pick.
Issue with that is, whoever they draft won't have an immediate impact as our #1. I believe Burkes job is on the line and missing the playoffs in 2013 will result in his dismissal.

Old
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
And you know this how?
because I pay attention to other teams, unlike you.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
That pick wouldn't have been top 5 at the time though, would've been a bubble lottery pick. Take Gardiner out of that deal though, maybe Burke makes it, and then who knows how badly it comes back to bite him. Personally I doubt Nash would've prevented our collapse, so in this case it's probably for the best Burke didn't do it.
Howson is going to be dealing from a position of weakness now that Nash said he wants out. Don't think it's in Nash's character, but he could decide to be a holdout until he is traded. Then Howson would be forced to move him for cheaper.

One way or another, Nash's days in Columbus are numbered.

Burke I think in time will trade Kadri, and I don't think there is a spot for him on our top 6, where he needs to play. Because he needs ice time.

Maybe Burke would consider Franson, Blacker, Percy, Gunnarson or Holzer instead? Still I don't think one of those defenseman plus Kadri would be enough for Nash.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
because I pay attention to other teams, unlike you.
You're such a goon. Show me all the unproductive, old $4.5 million centermen that were moved this season. Oh right, didn't happen.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

LMAO. HA HA.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:05 PM
JackJ

If the Blue Jackets are willing to swap picks + Nash in a much larger deal, I wouldn't be against moving a huge package that includes Gardiner.

Walking out of the draft with Yakupov/Grigorenko and Nash would be phenomenal.