HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquiring a mid-range RW in the summer

View Poll Results: Who would you sign (assuming stars like Parise and Suter aren't available)?
Jaromir Jagr 20 37.04%
David Jones 9 16.67%
Brad Boyes 8 14.81%
Someone else (please post the name) 3 5.56%
Wouldn't sign anyone 14 25.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers acquiring a mid-range RW in the summer

The Rangers will have about $7 in open cap space this summer if the cap won't change. There are various possible changes like the cap going up due to more revenue, the cap being about the same due to more revenue but lesser percentage of it being shared, or the cap can go down along with a salary give-back.

However, I think it is very reasonable to expect that the Rangers will have a few million to spend.

If we can fit Parise or Suter under the cap, we should do it. It's an easy one because you don't pass up on a superstar you can get for nothing. What about re-signing some other guys in the future? I'll take my chances: either the cap will increase in the future years or we can always deal away guys like Boyle or even Dubinsky for picks and prospects to fit everything under the cap. Parise is better than either Dubinsky or Boyle, or even both of them, especially if we'd be getting prospects and picks for Dubi and Boyle in any trade.

But let's say we can't get these guys because they don't want to come here or we can't fit them under the cap. Then what?

Centers: Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle - very good, Cup quality.

LW: Hagelin, Dubinsky, Kreider, Rupp - not great, but passable, depending on how Kreider and Hagelin perform.

RW: Gaborik, Callahan, Prust - we need another guy. We could take our chances with Christian Thomas, but I have my doubts about him being able to jump in immediately.

So who can we get?

Looking at the UFA list, the top 3 names I see to be our third line RW are:

1. Jaromir Jagr: He can still put up good numbers. On a third line with Anisimov and Kreider, he wouldn't have the pressure to be the go-to guy at the age of 40. He would be a very good third liner with a big body and an ability to score. He could be had for $3 million, which will almost certainly fit under the cap. He would also want a one year contract, which would work for us considering that we have Thomas and Fasth waiting in the wings. He didn't leave on the best terms, but it's been enough years that they can bury the hatchet.

2. David Jones: Big body who can score 20-20 on the third line.

3. Brad Boyes: Had an off-year, but he is normally a quality forward, who would do well on our third line.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:45 PM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

honestly, i'd take any of those three. i'd love to have jagr back for another year and jones and boyes both fit the system. and boyes would help in the shootout too.

AdamBanks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I wanted Jones at the deadline, so I'll go with him.

I'm not of the opinion that we really need to go after a big name like Parise/Nash/Ryan. Shoring up our 3rd line's offensive output is incredibly important, as far as I'm concerned.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think maybe the NHL legend who's still got 60 point ability.

But Jagr back in blue? Not gonna happen I think.

03-29-2012, 01:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Jagr. our PP could use his presence.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Kershaw

Travesty that we didn't sign Jagr. Could've ended his career where he belonged and was adored....

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Would love Jagr back in blue but I doubt it happens.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Cliffy1814

I think we are already overloaded with 2nd / 3rd line players. I'd rather go with kids in those spots if we cannot land a big fish (ryan, Parise, Nash, Iginla) etc.

Not that Boyes and Jones aren't useful players, but are they really that much better than players like Anisimov and Dubinsky?

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:17 PM
broadwayblue

Pass on Jagr. He's going to start breaking down...and with our luck it would be during the playoffs like a few years back.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
I think we are already overloaded with 2nd / 3rd line players. I'd rather go with kids in those spots if we cannot land a big fish (ryan, Parise, Nash, Iginla) etc.

Not that Boyes and Jones aren't useful players, but are they really that much better than players like Anisimov and Dubinsky?

In what universe are we overloaded with 2/3 line players? Fans know their own middling players, but not those of other teams, and always assume they have a lot of them. But it's just a biased perception.

We are clearly lacking another scorer, particularly one with good size. Had we signed Jagr instead of Feds, we would have locked up the President's Trophy by now.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
bernmeister

1. Great post.
2. Of the names mentioned, I went with Jones. In his day Jagr was 'the bomb' as kids say today, but he is breaking down way too fast.
3. Think we need $ for cap and pending deals, so I have some legit interest in Jones, but same is conditional on reasonable numbers.
4. Our best move is to make a couple of moves, but this is not the proper place to post same. Just sayin UFA could be smart, but trade to accelerate our status/development may be necessary if we don't want to grow slow.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
1. Great post.
2. Of the names mentioned, I went with Jones. In his day Jagr was 'the bomb' as kids say today, but he is breaking down way too fast.
I don't think there's a kid out there today that says that, sir.

On topic though, I went with Jones as well. I think he'd fit the mold of the team pretty well all things considered. As much as I love Jags, I can't see him with the Blueshirts ever again.

Mint Berry Crunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Dimz92

I would vote for David Jones, i feel like Jones would fit the "Torts" system more than Jagr, who evidently i have never seen go down and attempt to block a shot in his career nor play any defense or back check. With that being said especially as a third line right wing which we are trying to pencil in how about a guy like Knuble, a big body, who can go out there bang some bodies, block shots, and bang in 15 goals or so. Lets not forget he was a key Power play contributor for the Caps last season. Hes a player on the back end of his career who will want to come here and pursue a cup. A one year deal worth 1.5-2 mil for a player like Knuble would not be such a bad idea in my eyes. Another player that catches my eye is Jamie Langenbrunner, another player whose won a couple of cups over his career who can come in and fit in with the "Torts" style of game. We have seen with his years with the Devils how hard of a worker he is and he did wear the C there so his presence in the locker room wont hurt the chemistry. These two guys make more sense to me on a year deal any where from 1.5-2.5 mil than bringing in a guy like Jagr who wont fit in to our style of play at all.

Dimz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Boyes has slowly gone down hill since the 43 goal season in 07-08 and Jones will be 28 before next season with a grand total of 2 solid NHL seasons. The only one of these three I'd even think about signing is Jagr.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

vCash: 50
Love to get Jags back. 100 percent down i don't even care if he's 50.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Travesty that we didn't sign Jagr. Could've ended his career where he belonged and was adored....
Philly was a huge surprise. I was almost sure he would have ended up in New York or Pittsburg.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

It feels dirty wanting a current Flyer on the team.

Not that Pitt is that much better.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:55 PM
pld459666

Would prefer not to sign any of them.

I think for secondary scoring we are ok, if we cannot get the sniper we absolutely need, then I would prefer not to overspend on a aging, medicore or soft winger.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

Our 1st line RWer has 37 goals and our 2nd line RWer has 28 goals. Compare this to LW where it's 14 goals and 8 goals respectively.

That in mind, anyone care to shed light as to why we'd go for a RW and not a LW?

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:07 PM
RUSF18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Our 1st line RWer has 37 goals and our 2nd line RWer has 28 goals. Compare this to LW where it's 14 goals and 8 goals respectively.

That in mind, anyone care to shed light as to why we'd go for a RW and not a LW?
Confusing to me as well. I think people are penciling in Kreider, which is fine, but even then there's still a gap until he reaches his potential.

RUSF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Jones and Boyes play both sides pretty well. I actually think that the long term for the left side is fine though. Next year we will have options of Dubinsky, Hagelin, Anisimov, and Kreider. If we can't put together a decent top 3 LWs from that. LWs typically put up less points than RWs too. After Gaborik and Callahan, we don't have a single RW remotely capable of putting the puck in the net with anything resembling regularity.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:28 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch strikes again

vCash: 350
I picked Jagr, but he's not getting any younger.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:31 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Sure, let's another 40-50 point RW'er when we already have two of those.

How many 40-50 point LW'er's do we have? Not a one.

Our RW depth is solid, we need to worry about getting a top flight LW'er.

03-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Sure, let's another 40-50 point RW'er when we already have two of those.

How many 40-50 point LW'er's do we have? Not a one.

Our RW depth is solid, we need to worry about getting a top flight LW'er.
It depends on how you look at depth. Provided Dubinsky is resurgent next year, we have 3 LWers who should put up 30-50 points. That spread is fine if your top 2 RWs put up 60-80. What I think is a bigger problem is having a 40 point drop from your 2nd RW to your 3rd.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:43 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
It depends on how you look at depth. Provided Dubinsky is resurgent next year, we have 3 LWers who should put up 30-50 points. That spread is fine if your top 2 RWs put up 60-80. What I think is a bigger problem is having a 40 point drop from your 2nd RW to your 3rd.
But you're HOPING Dubinsky gets back to being a 50 point LW'er.

If he's the same inconsistent LW'er then we'll only have one 30-40 point LW'er without factoring in what Kreider will/will not be able to do.

The fact of the matter is you get another 30-50 point RW'er and they really don't get to play that much because they'll be relegated below our top 2 RW'ers.

You get 50-60 point LW'er and instantly our offense is more spread out and not top heavy to one wing.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote