And that's when you ask 'Is Rick Nash the player we can afford to get by sacrificing picks/prospects who will put us over the top and make us a Cup favourite?'
The answer is no, in my opinion.
Oh I agree, the answer is no for us. But the proposed value isn't that far off.
Young Roster player with unquestionable potential, blue chip prospect, 1st rounder.
If I'm Columbus, this is the high end of the type of value I'm looking for if the pick is top3/top5.
Rick Nash doesn't make sense for us to go after. But he's still elite talent and holds high value despite his contractual status, in my opinion.
To hell with trades sending three to four players out the door for one. We did this with the Kessel trade and you saw what comes of it. By the time this team is ready to compete Nash will be old. Build through the draft. If Burke makes that deal he should be fired and banned from the NHL. We need to trade for a goalie,, everything else we should be building through the draft. This coming year should be another year of purging bad contracts, sucking it up and getting another top five pick. We need to get rid of Komisarek, Armstrong, Connoly and maybe even Liles. Take away the Lupul and Gardiner trade and Burkes track record here is pathetic.
Funny thing is he got offered the moon for Nash by the NYR's at the trade dead line. Howson should have taken it and run, what an idiot.
I wouldn't. It's a whole lot of quantity. Yeah, some of those guys can be solid players but I don't see anything in that package that says to me "first liner" and if you're giving up Nash, you need a potential 1st liner back.
Who do you think Kadri is? A franchise player? And Gardiner? Is he a number 1 D or does he look like he has the potential. Do you see how soft he is in his own end? You think he's going to amount to superstardom?
1) there is no way toronto can take on a $7.8 million contract without sending salary back.
2) i dont see any way gardiner moves. even for nash. we have a top line right winger.
3) i think management is a lot higher on kadri then we are. i believe he is held in very high esteem by the organization and wouldnt be moved unless necessary.
4) burke cant possibly be dumb enough to trade 2 lottery picks in under 5 years.....can he?
5) if leafs arent careful they could find themselves in cap problems. having 2 players on entry level deals (kadri and gardiner) next season and possibly whoever they draft this summer will help that in contrast to adding almost $8 million in 1 player.