HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC: Salary cap to rise 5 to 8 M. (69 to 72 M) in 2012-2013

Old
03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
isnt it kind of a moot point with the cba expiring?

teams want to reduce revenue % to players, probably want a rollback, all kinds of **** has to get settled before there can be an impactful cap increase.
This. No sense even worrying about it with the cba in the air.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
This. No sense even worrying about it with the cba in the air.
July 1 still comes before Sept. 15 even in a year in which the CBA expires.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
July 1 still comes before Sept. 15 even in a year in which the CBA expires.
most illogical part of the cba....we'll let you act as FA's under the old cba...for contracts that will exclusively take place under the new cba.

quick lets go to arbitration before we rewrite the arbitration rules!

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
most illogical part of the cba....we'll let you act as FA's under the old cba...for contracts that will exclusively take place under the new cba.

quick lets go to arbitration before we rewrite the arbitration rules!
I agree 100%, but it wouldn't really be an issue if Fehr and Bettman sat down and starting talking about this now or even months ago. I heard that Fehr wanted to talk to the players and didn't want to bother them. Fine, but why not do it last summer?

This year's free agency is going to be nuts. It was bad enough that there was talk of salaries being rolled back at the current cap, how much are they going to roll back now that the cap is going up to 70mil? That means that a player can make 14mil a year. You think Suter and Parise will be asking for 7-8mil this summer? I'd be shocked if it's not minimum 10mil just so they can still make that 7-8mil after rollback.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I wonder if Ryan Clowe is available. If they don't make the playoffs you have got to think they make some changes.
You have to wonder if Thornton's time in San Jose is nearing a close, especially with Couture coming into his own.

I might be the only one, but I'd love Jumbo Joe on the Oilers.

Package Joe and Clowe for something? I wish.

Clowe-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Thornton-Paajarvi

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
You have to wonder if Thornton's time in San Jose is nearing a close, especially with Couture coming into his own.

I might be the only one, but I'd love Jumbo Joe on the Oilers.

Package Joe and Clowe for something? I wish.

Clowe-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Thornton-Paajarvi
No thanks. If he couldn't win anything in San Jose with that team. I doubt he comes here being able to do anything.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:08 PM
jsho

Has much news come up recently about the cap the last few weeks? Pierre LeBrun had an intresting tweet this morning...

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Gauthier leaves behind a payroll that has 13 players signed for more than $44 million next season, when cap may go down....
LeBrun is pretty well connected and knows whats going on a lot of the time. Could the cap actually be going down instead of raising the 5-8 that was initially thought?

Last edited by jsho: 03-29-2012 at 02:20 PM.
jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Has much news come up recently about the cap the last few weeks? Pierre LeBrun had an intresting tweet this morning...

LeBrun is pretty well connected and knows whats going on a lot of the time. Could the cap actually be going down instead of raising the 5-8 that was initially thought?
I'm sure he's possibly referring to a rollback. This has widely been speculated that although the cap numbers will be released and a 5-8 million increase is expected the new CBA could easily change that.

It's pretty stupid that the new cap numbers come out prior to July 1st but the new CBA doesn't need to be finalized until September.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post

If the cap ends up at $69M and the NHL roools back the players portion of HHR to 50% then the cap would go down a small amount. Personally, I think that this is unlikley. I could see 52-53% which would mean a small increase.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:46 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
I know we always talk about the max cap, but I wonder if they drastically lower the lower limit so that teams can have a year or two where they are only spending 40mil.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Some of you guys just can not resist bashing Horcoff. Smyth has sucked that last 20 to 30 games but he has gotten a free pass. Horcoff is playing the tough minutes. HIs job right now is to buy time for Nuge and Gagner to develop
Laughably bad post. Smyth has been hammered on here and in the media at least as much if not more than Horcoff. If I hear the old 'Horcoff is playing the tough minutes' without the proper second part 'and getting owned like he does every season' I'll scream.

At least on these forums Horcoff takes a reasonable amount of heat. It's pathetically embarrassing listening to guys like Stauffer critiquing the oiler team as he was yesterday and talking about the problem players, who should stay, who should go and as usual not one mention of horcoff.

The day horcoff leaves this team the oilers will be better for it in a number of ways.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote