HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hometown pride

Old
03-29-2012, 11:48 AM
ACC1224

vCash: 500
Other than Stajan has there been a local Player who played better as a Leaf than anywhere else?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:51 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsleaf View Post
I think that playing in TO is like living in a glass bubble and to some players this is a negative, whether they are from the area or not. I do not buy the arguement that players should be able to accept this because they make big bucks.
Human nature is what it is no matter how much money you make and even top athletes can be shy and introverted and not like media attention.
I think Leaf's management consider this when going after players, but that kind of handicaps them a little and really is a negative to player recruitment. But what can you do??? Toronto fans and media are really passionate about thier team and I guess this just goes with the territory.

If the Leafs Current management is considering what kind of player can play in Toronto then they have made a major error. I can tell what kind a player who will be successful in Toronto....a player who has heart, and is not afraid of his own shadow. Gilmour was loved because of this as was, Clark, Sittler, Domi, Tucker, Keon etc.

We have the complete opposite of this at present and it shows.....so when Burke tells you that he selects or trades for players that can play here in Toronto...you know we are in trouble!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:53 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Other than Stajan has there been a local Player who played better as a Leaf than anywhere else?
What do you mean local?

Old
03-29-2012, 11:58 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
I tink Burke liked the fact that both Kessel and Phaneuf give horrible interviews. It sort of deflates the media looking for a big story or controversial sound bite. Negating the Media's impact on the club is a good thing IMO.

Wow people will type anything. They are suppose to be the leaders of the Leafs!

Old
03-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Wow people will type anything. They are suppose to be the leaders of the Leafs!

Kessel a leader? maybe in scoring...
The fact that Phaneuf is a media magnet, yet neutralizes their impact on the club is a bonus. what the hell does that have to do with leadership?

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:48 PM
nsleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
If the Leafs Current management is considering what kind of player can play in Toronto then they have made a major error. I can tell what kind a player who will be successful in Toronto....a player who has heart, and is not afraid of his own shadow. Gilmour was loved because of this as was, Clark, Sittler, Domi, Tucker, Keon etc.

We have the complete opposite of this at present and it shows.....so when Burke tells you that he selects or trades for players that can play here in Toronto...you know we are in trouble!
Agreed.
I was speculating wether Leaf's management actually recruit only players that they believe can handle the intense media attention, although I think ?Burke has mentioned this in the past. One would think this would be wise but again too bad because it would possibly eliminate media shy/introverted guys who may also be very good hockey players.
Call it the
Quote:
Toronto media curse
. I am not saying the media are to blame for TOs recent woes but the constant media scrutiny has a negative affect, especially with younger players.

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:37 PM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg View Post
A lot of players like playing in Florida/California for the nice weather and low taxes. You play in Toronto, half of your earnings will be taxed to pay for government benefits that you don't even use. What's the point?
Not at all how taxes work.

You play a game in Florida you pay Florida taxes. You play the next game in Columbus you pay Ohio taxes.

VanJaysFan* is offline   Reply With Quote