HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Eulogy for Bob

Old
03-29-2012, 01:59 PM
peate
Good grief!

vCash: 500
Bob Gainey: The NHL had to create a trophy to reward his style of play. They should rename it the Bob Gainey trophy. His tenure as GM wasn't what he's hoped when he did all those controversial trades and signings but he will be remembered as one of the greats in Habs history.

Good luck Bob!

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:04 PM
BlackStar

Bob Gainey

Bob Gainey gave a lot of himself to our team.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here's what I will remember fondly about Bob.

-his defense of Patrice Brisebois
-his defense of the Montreal market as a destination for UFA
-his defense of Carey Price (Stallion / Bread making stuff lol)
-the time he snubbed the ever-blustery Burke at the Entry Draft.

Bob Gainey is a terrific soldier and a top-quality human being.... a General he is not. Maybe the best staff-sergeant type in the world though.

I would like to see him getting a job with the league office.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post
Here's what I will remember fondly about Bob.

-his defense of Patrice Brisebois
-his defense of the Montreal market as a destination for UFA
-his defense of Carey Price (Stallion / Bread making stuff lol)
-the time he snubbed the ever-blustery Burke at the Entry Draft.

Bob Gainey is a terrific soldier and a top-quality human being.... a General he is not. Maybe the best staff-sergeant type in the world though.

I would like to see him getting a job with the league office.
Seriously? He GM'd for 15 seasons, had a great win record, consistent playoff appearences, and WON A CUP?? You are saying with a straight face he was not cut out to GM? Some of the **** that's posted here...

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
SB164

Marc Antoine Godin ‏ @MAGodin

Josh Gorges on Bob Gainey: "It's another tough goodbye." (FWIW, nobody said that about Gauthier.)

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
People here saying he was a failure should really go **** themselves. True failure was before 2003 when Gainey tookover, and the Habs missed the playoffs 4 of 5 years. Since then they have made the playoffs 6 of 8 years. REAL failure is the past decade for teams like the Leafs (hopeless performance for a decade), the Senators (a great team being dismantled into nothing), or the Wild (again nothing to show for the past decade).

Gainey is a hall of fame captain of the team, who brought much glory to the CH and had his number retired, he also had a great 15 year career as a GM, with a very nice winning record, playoff appearence record, and a cup.

The guy is a LEGEND who knew hockey inside out from all aspects, people here coming to bury him who want some TV hockey hacks or rookies to replace him are going to be VERY sorry. You guys want flash, someone put on a pedastal as a super genius who won't make any errors (as if the 29 other teams are run by dolts), and wouldn't recognize the quiet competence of a Gainey until he is gone. Super genius Steve Yzerman is a big mancrush around here, where is his team now? Also way out of playoffs..funny how that is glossed over. Nobody can be perfect, and now there's a good chance a multi-year, Burke-esque circus has just begun, some flashy clown will come as GM, rich kid superfan Geoff Molson will be making roster decisions behind him, and we'll see a playoff capable team turn into a hopeless Toronto situation where decisions are made to appease the fan/media mob. You guys forget what real failure is, we will probably be seeing it soon enough.
+1

Oddly enough, someone I usually do not pay attention to Michel Therrien said something interesting last night on AT. To paraphrase...

"Everyone thinks that Barry Trotz is an awesome coach, and is nominated for the Jack Adams every year, same with David Poile, people think he is a genius. They missed the playoffs once and never made it past the first round of the playoffs since the lockout, except once. They would have been crucified in Montreal."

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:05 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
People here saying he was a failure should really go **** themselves. True failure was before 2003 when Gainey tookover, and the Habs missed the playoffs 4 of 5 years. Since then they have made the playoffs 6 of 8 years. REAL failure is the past decade for teams like the Leafs (hopeless performance for a decade), the Senators (a great team being dismantled into nothing), or the Wild (again nothing to show for the past decade).

Gainey is a hall of fame captain of the team, who brought much glory to the CH and had his number retired, he also had a great 15 year career as a GM, with a very nice winning record, playoff appearence record, and a cup.

The guy is a LEGEND who knew hockey inside out from all aspects, people here coming to bury him who want some TV hockey hacks or rookies to replace him are going to be VERY sorry. You guys want flash, someone put on a pedastal as a super genius who won't make any errors (as if the 29 other teams are run by dolts), and wouldn't recognize the quiet competence of a Gainey until he is gone. Super genius Steve Yzerman is a big mancrush around here, where is his team now? Also way out of playoffs..funny how that is glossed over. Nobody can be perfect, and now there's a good chance a multi-year, Burke-esque circus has just begun, some flashy clown will come as GM, rich kid superfan Geoff Molson will be making roster decisions behind him, and we'll see a playoff capable team turn into a hopeless Toronto situation where decisions are made to appease the fan/media mob. You guys forget what real failure is, we will probably be seeing it soon enough.
Pretty much this what i have been feeling for a while since Martin got canned. Ownership is WAY to involved in pleasing the fans. Today was molson sucking up to fans, and it worked, since so many posts with "Ahh. so much confidence; Molson keeps talking about how important i am!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
+1

Oddly enough, someone I usually do not pay attention to Michel Therrien said something interesting last night on AT. To paraphrase...

"Everyone thinks that Barry Trotz is an awesome coach, and is nominated for the Jack Adams every year, same with David Poile, people think he is a genius. They missed the playoffs once and never made it past the first round of the playoffs since the lockout, except once. They would have been crucified in Montreal."

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Seriously? He GM'd for 15 seasons, had a great win record, consistent playoff appearences, and WON A CUP?? You are saying with a straight face he was not cut out to GM? Some of the **** that's posted here...
First - you need to improve how you talk to people. This is a message board where ideas are exchanged. If you want to contribute anything you will need to be respectful of divergent opinions... otherwise you will just be a blowhard and no-one will pay you any mind.

Back on topic... he won a cup almost 15 years ago. The NHL has changed. Bob is not a General in this era. He is a staunch defender of his players and a team guy to a fault....

Today's league is a different animal dominated by individualism. The modern era NHL requires guys who are flexible enough to work in this environment.

I say that is not Bob. If you want someone to stand-up for someone to stick to their principles and plans ... then that guy is Bob.

Anyway...

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Pretty much this what i have been feeling for a while since Martin got canned. Ownership is WAY to involved in pleasing the fans. Today was molson sucking up to fans, and it worked, since so many posts with "Ahh. so much confidence; Molson keeps talking about how important i am!"

[/IMG]
Perspective is something, eh?

That said, I hated every moment of the Martin coached era. Boring non-physical hockey. Worthless press conferences. Grinders on a pedestal.

The playoff wins with Halak were nothing to be proud about, they were the definition of ANTI-hockey in my eyes. I know I would not feel satisfied after a win like that. Collapsing around the goaltender, defending for 50 minutes.... bleeh...

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Whiners whine about everything...

Hats off to you Bob.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post
First - you need to improve how you talk to people. This is a message board where ideas are exchanged. If you want to contribute anything you will need to be respectful of divergent opinions... otherwise you will just be a blowhard and no-one will pay you any mind.

Back on topic... he won a cup almost 15 years ago. The NHL has changed. Bob is not a General in this era. He is a staunch defender of his players and a team guy to a fault....

Today's league is a different animal dominated by individualism. The modern era NHL requires guys who are flexible enough to work in this environment.

I say that is not Bob. If you want someone to stand-up for someone to stick to their principles and plans ... then that guy is Bob.

Anyway...
I'll be more polite when you stop spewing condescending nonsense.

Individualism?? It's more team-system-oriented than ever. In the "modern" NHL Gainey had turned the late 1990s loser team into one that reached playoffs 6 of 8 seasons, a 1st place team in 2008 and an east conf final team in 2010. I guess that was just good luck for gainey the dinosaur or something according to you?

Quote:

That said, I hated every moment of the Martin coached era. Boring non-physical hockey. Worthless press conferences. Grinders on a pedestal.

The playoff wins with Halak were nothing to be proud about, they were the definition of ANTI-hockey in my eyes. I know I would not feel satisfied after a win like that. Collapsing around the goaltender, defending for 50 minutes.... bleeh...
Goaltending is part of the game. The Capitals stars were their forwards, the Canadiens' star was their goalie & well disciplined defence. Teams play to their strengths.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:

What a joke statement.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
UncleRuckus

Terrible Gainey/Gauthier era moves
- Gomez Trade
- Signing Gionta
- Signing Cammalleri
- Screwing us that same year by not trading our assets when we could have rebuilt (all those UFA's)
- Signing Laraque (if they even had one scout watching they would have known how brutal he was)
- Both Kostitsyn trades were disgustingly bad
- David Fischer
- Desjardins for Ramo trade (Desjardins would be an excellent, cheap backup right now)
- Lapierre trade (trading a playoff player because the coach is a dud...)
- Maxwell trade (should have just taken picks)
- Firing; Claude Julien, Vignault, Pearn
- Hiring; Jacques Martin
- Signing Markov long term without at the very ****ing least giving him a reduced salary for the first year even if he was obviously injured. I think Markov will be a dominate force next season but what the hell kind of idiot GM waste's his owners money by giving a guy 5.75 Million$ on a season where you know he would miss at least 3 months of the season. Rediculous
- Ribeiro trade for nothing or might as well have been nothing, once again no pro scouting done whatsoever
- Campoli Signing, disaster, would have rather seen St-Denis all year
- Halak trade, what another horrible horrible horrible trade, ya Eller could be a great 3rd line center but that's it. You really don't think we couldn't have gotten a Top 1st round pick +++ for him? the more I've been reading about all these moves the angrier i've gotten lol
- Samsonov
- Streit
This is just to name a few, not to mention the disastrous way in which we've been developing players and all the missed opportunities to make an impact, this tandem has been not bad, terrible, just absolutely terrible. Honestly, the only thing that makes me a little happier is that Burke screwed T.dot over more than Gainey has to MTL, at least we didn't trade an Elite Centerman (Seguin), a potentially elite or very good D man (Hamilton) for Kessel, whose a good player but not Seguin good or even close

UncleRuckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:02 PM
thewall

Unfortunatly Bob was never the same after the passing of his daughter Laura (Dec 2006). Bob made 3 great acquisitions via trades.. Kovalev , Gorges and Pacioretty. Too bad he didnt trade Souray and Streit while their values was of the roof!

Bob was a great hockey player, a great leader and a great captain.. wish i could say the same about the GM part.

Good Luck Bob in your new life chapter!

thewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:05 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRuckus View Post
- Gomez Trade
- Signing Gionta
- Signing Cammalleri
- Screwing us that same year by not trading our assets when we could have rebuilt (all those UFA's)
- Signing Laraque (if they even had one scout watching they would have known how brutal he was)
- David Fischer
- Desjardins for Ramo trade (Desjardins would be an excellent, cheap backup right now)
- Hiring; Jacques Martin
- Signing Markov long term without at the very ****ing least giving him a reduced salary for the first year even if he was obviously injured. I think Markov will be a dominate force next season but what the hell kind of idiot GM waste's his owners money by giving a guy 5.75 Million$ on a season where you know he would miss at least 3 months of the season. Rediculous
- Ribeiro trade for nothing or might as well have been nothing, once again no pro scouting done whatsoever
- Halak trade, what another horrible horrible horrible trade, ya Eller could be a great 3rd line center but that's it. You really don't think we couldn't have gotten a Top 1st round pick +++ for him? the more I've been reading about all these moves the angrier i've gotten lol
- Samsonov
- Streit
This is just to name a few, not to mention the disastrous way in which we've been developing players and all the missed opportunities to make an impact, this tandem has been not bad, terrible, just absolutely terrible. Honestly, the only thing that makes me a little happier is that Burke screwed T.dot over more than Gainey has to MTL, at least we didn't trade an Elite Centerman (Seguin), a potentially elite or very good D man (Hamilton) for Kessel, whose a good player but not Seguin good or even close
And yet, we made the playoffs 6 out of the 8 years he was here.

It counts for something, especially when you actually look at the roster he had when he took office. Give the man a little bit of respect as he graciously bowed out knowing that the general consensus on his term in office was a run of mediocrity followed by ultimate failure.

That being said, while the removal of Gauthier/Gainey of their positions is probably a step in the right direction, it could also be end up being a bad move too depending on whom they bring in. There is not a lot of excellent candidates out there, most of the great ones infact are in management roles with other teams where we won't know their ability to manage a club until given the reigns. It could back fire.

If anything Molson is showing that he is trying to cater to the fans/medias every wish so far this season. And this has the potential to be bad as well, what if the new GM is given a carte blanche to go and acquire local talent? Will we see management go out and get a Lecavalier just to appease francophone fans/media by giving away a P.K Subban the other way?

Right now all we can do is speculate. I hope whomever is in charge does add a more local flavour to this team overall, however it CANNOT be done at the expense of shipping out core assets like Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Cole, Gorges or any of young stud D prospects like Beaulieu and Tinordi.

Thank you Bob for the valiant effort. You fell short but I still respect the hell out of you as a player and a man.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
- Gomez Trade
- Signing Gionta
- Signing Cammalleri
- David Fischer
- Hiring; Jacques Martin
- Samsonov
- Streit

You are right, Montreal needs, no, DEMANDS a GM who is 100% perfect and never makes a small error. How come all the other teams get perfect GMs but Montreal doesn't???

Old
03-29-2012, 04:14 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
I will remember Bob as a great man, great player, great coach and great GM.

For those who said he ruined the Habs, it's because they were too young to remember Houle and Tremblay... that is the only acceptable explaination.

Gainey made us respectable again... after years of just being terrible. I would suggest the kids do their research before disrespecting Gainey like that.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

With what Gainey was given, I thought he did a good job. Trading for Gomez, was his biggest mistake, but other than that, he did the best he could with what was given to him.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
- Gomez Trade His biggest mistake.
- Signing Gionta Still think it's a good signing. Gionta is a good player who has put up good numbers for us.
- Signing Cammalleri Fail to see how that's a bad thing. Cammalleri for all the flack he gets on this board has actually been a good player for the Canadiens and he didn't deserve to be traded, especially not for Bourque. Also, at the time he was signed, almost everybody was happy.
- Screwing us that same year by not trading our assets when we could have rebuilt (all those UFA's) The point was to make the playoffs. It's extremely difficult to make a decision to liquidate your assets at the trade deadline when you are sitting at 9th or 10th, 1 or 2 points out of the playoffs. You can't just give up and call it quits.
- Signing Laraque (if they even had one scout watching they would have known how brutal he was) Again, another case of hindsight at its finest. Everybody was extatic about having Laraque, a real heavyweight, in the line-up.
- Both Kostitsyn trades were disgustingly bad Agree on Sergei, that was terrible. Disagree on Andrei.
- David Fischer Draft is not an exact science. He listened to his scouts, as all GMs do. Otherwise, Gainey's draft record is excellent.
- Desjardins for Ramo trade (Desjardins would be an excellent, cheap backup right now) I mean... seriously? THIS is brought up? Desjardins? You are really digging hard to find flaws aren't you?
- Maxwell trade (should have just taken picks) Maxwell is a non-factor.
- Hiring; Jacques Martin Martin was a good hiring. Everybody wanted an experienced coach. Martin was one of the most experienced coach available.
- Signing Markov long term without at the very ****ing least giving him a reduced salary for the first year even if he was obviously injured. I think Markov will be a dominate force next season but what the hell kind of idiot GM waste's his owners money by giving a guy 5.75 Million$ on a season where you know he would miss at least 3 months of the season. Rediculous He was told Markov would be ready for the season, but I agree that his salary is steep. I thought Markov would either get a short contract or a longer one at a cheaper cap hit.
- Campoli Signing, disaster, would have rather seen St-Denis all year Calling it a disaster is the overstatement of the week. Oh noz, we signed a 7th dman, the humanity! The Kaberle trade, now that's a disaster.
- Halak trade, what another horrible horrible horrible trade, ya Eller could be a great 3rd line center but that's it. You really don't think we couldn't have gotten a Top 1st round pick +++ for him? the more I've been reading about all these moves the angrier i've gotten lol Horrible? Another huge overstatement. Eller is developing and showing skills, vision and defensive awareness. Halak isn't his team's go-to guy.
- Samsonov
- Streit
The rest, I agree.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Kriss E

I'll make sure Bob Gainey gets all your messages guys..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:10 PM
MTL-rules

Great player, not too good GM and lived perhaps one of the sadest moment in habs history (anyways, I felt really sad when it happened)...

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Habskrieg

When Bob came, the team was in the *******, in all aspects. He did some mistakes, but he also did plenty good. Unfortunately, too many only focus on the bad and if we ended with a cup or not. It's important to remember that Gainey was also a great player for us. And while as a GM, our scouting has been much better since the dark years of Houle.

Good bye Bob. Thanks for it all. Sad that it didn't work out and couldn't get another cup with us.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
With what Gainey was given, I thought he did a good job. Trading for Gomez, was his biggest mistake, but other than that, he did the best he could with what was given to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
When Bob came, the team was in the *******, in all aspects. He did some mistakes, but he also did plenty good. Unfortunately, too many only focus on the bad and if we ended with a cup or not. It's important to remember that Gainey was also a great player for us. And while as a GM, our scouting has been much better since the dark years of Houle.

Good bye Bob. Thanks for it all. Sad that it didn't work out and couldn't get another cup with us.

What do you mean with "... he did the best he could with what was given to him" and "... When Bob came, the team was in the *******, in all aspects..."?

He was given a top tier budget, plenty of good assets... and led us to an average ranking of 15th overall.

When Gainey took the helm from André Savard, he did not, contrary to popular belief, start from scratch. A lot of valuable players were part of this organisation.

He had a lot of good assets to work with:

Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Andrei Kostitsyn
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Plekanec – Lapierre

Markov – Rivet
Souray – Komisarek
Hainsey – Beauchemin
Bouillon - O'Byrne

Halak

I like the man (he seems calm and level headed) and the player he was but, post lockout, he was a lower tier GM with a top tier budget. As a GM I will remember him for the loss of Beauchemin (Gainey misunderstood the rules put in place during the lockout!), Gomez's acquisition, Price's anointment (too early) and Ribeiro's departure.

Good riddance.

PS the 2003 draft is Savard/Timmins' work; Gainey was hired 2-3 weeks before the draft.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:45 PM
DonnieBrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'll make sure Bob Gainey gets all your messages guys..
Oh man, I balled!

DonnieBrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Go Habs Go

Bob Gainey is a gentleman, one of the best Habs of all time and actually took a depleted team from Houle's hands, replenished it and took it to the playoffs a few time. Was even 1st in the East one season. He bleeds bleu blanc et rouge and was one of the greatest captains to ever play the game. Was he the best GM ever? Certainly not, but he certainly does not deserve the disrespect from some of you kids. I feel sorry for him as from now one, some people will treat him like some sort of moron by people who don't even have the capacity to understand hockey like he does. Is this what Montreal has become? Have Hab fans become some sort of uncouth, disrespecful, ungrateful bunch of jackals who can only recognize errors but don't have the ability to recognize things that are positive? Even fans of expansion teams don't show this type of ignorance. The Habs are the most glorious team in the league but I am ashamed to be a Habs fan from some of the comments I've been reading on here for the last few years. We bash the fan base of rivals like the Leafs and the Bruins but quite frankly, we're worst.

Go Habs Go is online now   Reply With Quote