HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Gauthier & Bob Gainey Fired - Savard brought back in advisory role

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
It is a shame, I felt Gauthier was a step in the right direction and he had a much better handle on trades/signings than Gainey ever did. Well out with the old and in with a whole new crew. I hope to god they don't just go grab Roy and Mcguire to satisfy the brainless masses.

Even though Gauthier got fired the fact Gainey got fired too brings me joy, he never deserved to resign, he deserved to be fired right out the door.

only direction GAUTHIER points his hockey CLUBS are to the golf course.....he failed everywhere.

Old
03-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Coaches jumping from junior to the NHL have also not traditionally done all that well... or so I heard.
Most junior coaches arent NHL hall of famers though

Old
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I don't have the exact quotes. But if I understood correctly there's already some miscommunication.

What's the first priority?
-Molson: winning
-Savard: language
he interviewd on RDS right after the presser, and basically said
"Lets get things straight here, next GM will be french speaking"
Followed by laughter from Savard and the guys at RDS. (Basically stating: "Obviously!")

but this was know to be the case anyways, nothing to be surprised about. As seen today, this an entertainment business foremost, and priority is to make fans feel good.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:02 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
he interviewd on RDS right after the presser, and basically said
"Lets get things straight here, next GM will be french speaking"
Followed by laughter from Savard and the guys at RDS. (Basically stating: "Obviously!")

but this was know to be the case anyways, nothing to be surprised about. As seen today, this an entertainment business foremost, and priority is to make fans feel good.
So not only will we go after an ex habs but we eliminate any and all non french speaking candidates.

I am starting to believe the true idiot is Molson himself.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:03 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Loved Bob. Great leadership qualities and everyone respected him. His first half with the club was great and then he suffered a personal tragedy and he kind of went downhill from there. I think he could be a good GM again somewhere else. He did a really good job in Dallas and just kind of went sideways with us.

All that said, he did a bad job with us at the end of the day and the time was right for him to leave. I'm glad he had the good sense and class to do so on his own volition. Say what you want about his managerial skills but he's class all the way.
Absolute class act. I hope the next GM will command the same respect around the league and his own players.

HOWEVER, some of the things that were unacceptable with Bob:

1) Stubborn rule of negotiating contracts only in the summer.

2) His willingness to "accommodate" unhappy players (that's the word he used) and ship them to whatever team they like without consideration for getting maximum return for any asset in the organization.

3) Similar point about not getting max for players about to hit UFA status.

4) Common issue with PG with (unconfirmed) reports that they don't shop around much and always deal with same teams.

5) Unable to close big deals.

I hope the next GM can have as much class, though. But we need someone who is aggressive and understands all the subtleties of the cap system.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:03 PM

For once...it would be nice for this organization to not settle for the 'low-hanging fruit'.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:04 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
It is a shame, I felt Gauthier was a step in the right direction and he had a much better handle on trades/signings than Gainey ever did. Well out with the old and in with a whole new crew. I hope to god they don't just go grab Roy and Mcguire to satisfy the brainless masses.

Even though Gauthier got fired the fact Gainey got fired too brings me joy, he never deserved to resign, he deserved to be fired right out the door.
I agree PG was a step in the right direction. I'm going to give PG (not Molson, he don't deserve crap) benefit of the doubt that his decisions where heavily influenced by business decision from the top more then hockey decision. Whether its Molson putting pressure for something to happen (Martin) or just putting PG in a position where he HAS to do something if not get canned (which IMO i think PG saw through and knew he was going to get canned 100% at the end of this all)

Quote:
So not only will we go after an ex habs but we eliminate any and all non french speaking candidates.

The true idiot is the environment that was build in the province in QC; Where everything is heavily politicized and were success is achieved through heavy politics. That's usually the case anywhere, except in QC it's a bit more apparent and different roots then most places in NA.

Molson just following the money trail; he has to answer for his partners who spent alot of money into this machine.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Don't you find it interesting they were grouped together? Almost as if they were actually close and made decisions together all these years.

Old
Knuckles30

To those who are discounting Pierre McGuire because he has been "out of the game" working as "just a loudmouth broadcaster", I would direct you to the job John Davidson has done in rebuilding the St-Louis Blues.

Old

Quote:

Not entirely his fault...He like many Habs fans, probably thinks the Habs live in a different reality then the rest of the 29 other NHL teams. Which contrary to popular belief, is entirely false. Might of been true 20+ years ago...but not today.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Quote:

Réjean Houle:

-ex Hab: check
-speaks French: check

Bonus:
-has lots of experience as a GM in the NHL

Old
03-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Aurel Joliat

So... Tony was right !

Old
03-29-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
To those who are discounting Pierre McGuire because he has been "out of the game" working as "just a loudmouth broadcaster", I would direct you to the job John Davidson has done in rebuilding the St-Louis Blues.
I've got no problem with McGuire...as long as he's surrounded by the right hockey people.

A big role in being GM is identifying the right people to work with and delegating accordingly. While I've grown tired of McGuire's 'act' on the radio/tv...theres no denying he lives/breathes hockey, he knows virtually everyone involved in hockey at the managerial level, as well as the player level. He has a lot of the qualities a GM needs to have, except for the actual job experience...

Old
03-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Fire Molson, Savard.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
i wonder if he are still in the lottery pick area who do we send to the TSN studio
Timmons probably....

Old
03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogoaltrop View Post
Bring in Napolean !!!!!!! Michel Bergeron !!! That dude was an evil coach.
Hated that guy. Let him join the Nordiques.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
Most junior coaches arent NHL hall of famers though
Most HOFers haven't walked out on their club in the middle of their career in a very public huff though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Absolute class act. I hope the next GM will command the same respect around the league and his own players.

HOWEVER, some of the things that were unacceptable with Bob:

1) Stubborn rule of negotiating contracts only in the summer.

2) His willingness to "accommodate" unhappy players (that's the word he used) and ship them to whatever team they like without consideration for getting maximum return for any asset in the organization.

3) Similar point about not getting max for players about to hit UFA status.

4) Common issue with PG with (unconfirmed) reports that they don't shop around much and always deal with same teams.

5) Unable to close big deals.

I hope the next GM can have as much class, though. But we need someone who is aggressive and understands all the subtleties of the cap system.
Yes to all the above. I have no idea who we're going to hire but I hope that it is a decision based on winning rather than politics.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I know a lot about the salary cap and stuff too. We need to put an end to this no experience BS. Put someone who knows how to run the show in this position! This is Montreal, not Columbus. If you have no experience, there's no way you're going to be able to handle this market.
Gainey had experience.
Gauthier had experience.
Martin had experience.

Yeah experience is a guarantee of success.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:13 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post

only direction GAUTHIER points his hockey CLUBS are to the golf course.....he failed everywhere.
Amen !! and Gainey was no better in fact in certain way he was worse
whats funny is the poster who thinks gauthier did a good job is called onesharpmarble!! LOL

Old
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Red Fisher sayin hire Savard

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...265/story.html

Quote:
I also can’t crawl into Molson’s mind, but calling on Savard to serve as an adviser in pursuit of a new general manager was a slam dunk. Add this: a better one would be to hire Savard as GM for the very good reason, as I’ve mentioned several times in the last few months, he’s the best person available to lift Team Pathetic out of this mess.

It was a suggestion put to Savard over lunch (Serge paid), whereupon his reply was: “Why would I want that job at my age?”

However, that was then and this is now, and since I know Savard better than most people, including Molson, he’d leap at the opportunity if it were offered him – and happily.

Old
blueinmtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
I agree PG was a step in the right direction. I'm going to give PG (not Molson, he don't deserve crap) benefit of the doubt that his decisions where heavily influenced by business decision from the top more then hockey decision. Whether its Molson putting pressure for something to happen (Martin) or just putting PG in a position where he HAS to do something if not get canned (which IMO i think PG saw through and knew he was going to get canned 100% at the end of this all)
You think it was 100% Molson who green-lit Campoli? Or forced a trade for Kaberle? Or took on Bourque's contract for Cammalleri's? Or didn't hold out for a better deal for AK? Or decided the next guy in charge would be the guy heading the worst PP in the league?

You think the JM / RC transition was 100% Molson - after it was reported that JM and PG were in a screaming match the night before?

Some good, plenty of horror with PG. Your step in the right direction has led us to the bottom. Molson is not absolved by any means, but thinking PG was a poor, powerless lame duck all year is a bot wishful, no?

Old
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
firewagon77*

Pierre Mcguire has been a scout for 2 years 16 years ago in ottawa he has 0 general managing experince he would be awful another rejean houle.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I've got no problem with McGuire...as long as he's surrounded by the right hockey people.

A big role in being GM is identifying the right people to work with and delegating accordingly. While I've grown tired of McGuire's 'act' on the radio/tv...theres no denying he lives/breathes hockey, he knows virtually everyone involved in hockey at the managerial level, as well as the player level. He has a lot of the qualities a GM needs to have, except for the actual job experience...
I think he might actually be better suited to a "President of Hockey Operations" type role (like Davidson or Cam Neely) than as GM. I like a lot of what he says on the radio about setting organizational standards, pro scouting, etc. He has also spoken at length about coaches, gms, etc. being "on message" when dealing with the media - something that came to mind when Molson and Savard gave conflicting answers on whether the new GM needs to speak French (quick tangent - How does that happen? How do they not know that the language issue s going to be the first question asked today, and not have the same answer?). Also - and just speculating here - maybe having a bilingual President of Hockey Ops lightens the needs for a bilingual GM?

Old
03-29-2012, 03:17 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
OMG PG was coaching the habs!! i must of missed so many games!

Old
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Don't you find it interesting they were grouped together? Almost as if they were actually close and made decisions together all these years.
Right they must be of one mind, when one drinks the other can't speak and vice versa. A strange animal this Gainthier, one man in the the body of two. Never disagreeing and when one resigns the other is put in his place, makes sense to me.

Keep desperatly grabbing at any straw, it just gets sadder and sadder.

Old
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

I completely agree. I think that he would be a more exciting choice than Brisebois. The guy has very current knowledge of all the players in the league. He is very well connected. If I had a pile of resumes in front of me, his would stand out.

I don't get the hate for McGuire. Nobody has explained their opposition in very logical, reasonable terms yet.

Closed Thread