HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Gauthier & Bob Gainey let go - Savard brought back in advisory role - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2012, 03:48 PM
larek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Good work, you figured out gainey was crap, welcome to where everyone else was years ago.
and yet you thought opposite of Gauthier -- inteersting- ive been going on about this horrid management team longer than probably anyone else

Old
03-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ns-GM-job.html

Hoping and praying Bergevin is brought into the Habs organization in some type of role, if not GM, then asst GM, etc.

Habs should not be cheap when it comes to hiring their managerial staff...hiring the next GM is not the only solution, the staff that will eventually surround him is just as important.

Bergevin is one of the brightest hockey minds in the NHL right now...+ he's a Montreal native, speaks french (for those that find that particular attribute important) and has had RECENT success in the NHL.
I must admit I'm liking Bergevin more and more.

I think it's a no-brainer that Jim Nill should be the best candidate. French or no french, if this guy wants a new challenge and is willing to leave the Detroit organization, then I'd have a hard time understanding why they'd pass him up.

As for the coach, I'm sticking to Larry Robinson, granted he's healthy enough and willing.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:51 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

I think it's a no-brainer that Jim Nill should be the best candidate. French or no french, if this guy wants a new challenge and is willing to leave the Detroit organization, then I'd have a hard time understanding why they'd pass him up.

As for the coach, I'm sticking to Larry Robinson, granted he's healthy enough and willing.
none of that will happen- and hopefully no Brisbois--

Old
03-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Mad Habber

Erik Estrada wrote in the 1st thread:

Réjean Houle:

-ex Hab: check
-speaks French: check

Bonus:
-has lots of experience as a GM in the NHL

I think our search is over. Great candidate there. We can always get to sell beer between periods too.

And with Houle, we can get a french-speaking coach with a couple years head coaching experience and lots of assistant coach experience. A certain Mario? Mario Somebody? Someone refresh my memory.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
hartley?

lmao
Nobody on the AC crew should ever be considered for an NHL position.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:

I just wonder what role Bergevin had when Tallon screwed up with his RFAs back then? Other than that, solid resume working for a good organization.

Would love to see Larry behind the bench coaching our D. Plus, we need a good backup when Roy gets fired.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
none of that will happen- and hopefully no Brisbois--
Well I'm just hoping that the list has more than one or two names. Interview a bunch of candidates. See what direction they would take the team.

Bergevin
Brisebois
Brisson
Roy
Maguire
Nill
Damphousse
others

And I don't see Larry Robinson accepting any head coaching job anywhere especially Montreal. He's quit before mid-season because the job was too demanding, he certainly wouldn't find less demanding in Montreal right now. The next coach and GM have to deliver a contender. No more 8th place finish.

Old
03-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
I just wonder what role Bergevin had when Tallon screwed up with his RFAs back then? Other than that, solid resume working for a good organization.

Would love to see Larry behind the bench coaching our D. Plus, we need a good backup when Roy gets fired.
The RFA fiasco in Chicago was an administrative error...not a misevaluation in talent

And eitther way, EVERY single GM/scout/assistant GM will make mistakes. If you're going to base your search on finding one who's never made a mistake, you'll never find one.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
HomaridII

Pierre Mcguire time on team 990!!

Old
03-29-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:

To me, given language WILLL be a determining factor in the appointment of a new GM, Marc Bergevin is the best choice as far as I'm concerned

+ I love the fact he has no prior ties to the Montreal Canadiens...no unrealistic expectations to live up too, no friends in the media he has to appease, no nostalgic ties whatsoever...just a pure hockey hire

Old
03-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Garry Valk

Must be noted: Tony Marinaro was right. Savard said this aft he knew of firing a while ago. Clearly Gauthier was out previously.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:04 PM
MTL-rules

I want someone with guts that isn't afraid to get the deal done, but with enough experience to know when to stop (contrary to Burke).

I don't want someone who's too static, who believes in only one concept (toughness, speed, defense, etc.) and thinks he's smarter than everyone.

Is there a guy (or a girl) out there who fits this description ?

Old
03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
It seemed to me that Molson approached Gainey after Gauthier's firing, and it was Gainey himself who decided to step away from his role as a consultant.

Saying he was fired would be unjust.
I changed it to "let go" since that doesn't sound as harsh.

PyrettaBlaze*

Like I said in the other thread, I'd stay away from Julien Brisebois and go with someone like Marc Bergevin instead. Jim Nill would also be a fantastic choice but I doubt they'd hire him considering the whole language ********.

Old
SouthernHab

Great day for Montreal. Just checked the internet and realized that it wasnt April 1.

This is the right step in the right direction in turning this franchise around from being a joke to being a contender.

Thank you Geoff Molson.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Well I'm just hoping that the list has more than one or two names. Interview a bunch of candidates. See what direction they would take the team.

Bergevin
Brisebois
Brisson

Roy
Maguire
Nill
Damphousse
others
I like the names in bold plus I'd add Loiselle and Lamiorello (having issues being undermined by NJ owner). Roy should get an interview for coach (although I'm hoping for someone with experience coaching men) but don't think he should be considered for GM. Besides, he'll be coach/GM for the Quebec Coyotes next year.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
Must be noted: Tony Marinaro was right. Savard said this aft he knew of firing a while ago. Clearly Gauthier was out previously.
Yea who saw this coming, good thing we have guys like Marinaro around as I never would have thought PG would be fired after the excellent job he's done.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:09 PM
zx81

New name from Luc Gelinas:
Luc Robitaille

Luc is a cool guy but a potential GM ? I doubt it.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Can anyone explain why Molson didn't wait until end of season before firing PG? I can see the jokes and sarcastic comments coming but I'm serious. Who's gonna give that traditional season evaluation press conference now? Molson himself?

And yes, claiming that Bob was fired is disgracefully false.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yea who saw this coming, good thing we have guys like Marinaro around as I never would have thought PG would be fired after the excellent job he's done.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
Nobody is going to aknowledge this and next time he has a scoop everyone will again say he's making stuff up and full of crap.

Also, Quebec won't have a team for at least 5 years.

waffledave
Old
HomaridII

Mcguire on team 990:

"Anybody who is a hockey person and says they are not interested in the job are not sincere, specially if you are passionate about where you grew up and the team you cheered for growing up"

Old
03-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
and yet you thought opposite of Gauthier -- inteersting- ive been going on about this horrid management team longer than probably anyone else
I can't wait till barrels is allowed back eh Larek.
Man he was way ahead of them all on Pierre Gauthier, he even said habs were going to finish last place with Gauthier ,that was when Habs we still flyin high...

But they didn't wanna hear it .Will be interesting to see if the apologies come .

Old
03-29-2012, 04:14 PM
E = CH²

Haven't read both threads, just got back home, but with Savard in an advisory role anyone who expects Pierre McGuire to be hired is completely delusional. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
New name from Luc Gelinas:
Luc Robitaille

Luc is a cool guy but a potential GM ? I doubt it.
Stephane Quintal

Closed Thread