HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there a real chance Quick can WIN the Vezina?

Old
03-29-2012, 03:49 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
To me it comes down to what happens if you were to remove Quick and Lundqvist from the Kings and Rangers? I think the Rangers would still be good. The Kings would be a doormat.
That would matter more in an MVP vote, not Vezina.

How have the Rangers fared with Biron?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Doesn't the voting take place before the playoffs?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:00 PM
damacles1156

Quick has a shot if his play down the stretch here is strong.

About the pay thing, I can't believe some people don't want Quick to get his payday.

The guy has earned it, This will be his third Contract. He is the only Kings Goalie(ever?) to win 30 games or more three straight seasons.

Quick has improved and upped his game every year he has been a King. Just cause Lombardi gave Drew that stupid Contract without earning it; doesn't mean he should shaft Quick, or Quick shouldn't get paid.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Doesn't the voting take place before the playoffs?
Yes it does, The award is a Reg season award.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Vic Vinegar

I don't want Quick to get shafted on his contract. I just hope he's more like Johnson and Brown than Doughty.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:25 PM
KingsCourt

Chance yes, but new york media will get lunquist the hardware

KingsCourt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:33 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Quick has a shot if his play down the stretch here is strong.

About the pay thing, I can't believe some people don't want Quick to get his payday.

The guy has earned it, This will be his third Contract. He is the only Kings Goalie(ever?) to win 30 games or more three straight seasons.

Quick has improved and upped his game every year he has been a King. Just cause Lombardi gave Drew that stupid Contract without earning it; doesn't mean he should shaft Quick, or Quick shouldn't get paid.
I agree completely.

We've been searching for a goaltender of his caliber for ages. Pay the man.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:08 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
Love Quick and he deserves all the accolades, credit, and hardware possible.

However, I hope he waits until after signing a fair extension to start winning Harts and Vezinas. Doughty being a Norris finalist really boned us come contract time.
great point

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Hard for the east coasters to even see Quick play an entire game... they mostly see stats and highlights. He's getting a lot of solid press tho and anything can happen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCourt View Post
Chance yes, but new york media will get lunquist the hardware
Not sure if everybody is aware of this, but the Vezina is unique in that it is the only award that is voted on by the GM's. Since it is not media folk, the East Coast bias plays a little bit less of an effect.

That being said, I think Lundqvist will win it due the Kings being a better defensive team. It's not most valuable goalie but best goalie, so GM's will likely be influenced by Lundqvist arguably having a harder time since he team does not play as defensive (I'd argue whether this is true, NYR block more shots than any team I have seen, but point remains). Quick will be the very close runner-up. Elliot will likely get the 3rd nomination, which is just stupid crazy considering he was considered the Tank Master for the Avs last year

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Rod Buskas*

It's a toss up between him and Lundqvist.

In reality though, I doubt he gets nominated. Most of the voters are 50+ and go to bed before Quick even plays.

There's probably a large portion of voters who probably don't even know who he is.

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Not sure if everybody is aware of this, but the Vezina is unique in that it is the only award that is voted on by the GM's. Since it is not media folk, the East Coast bias plays a little bit less of an effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
It's a toss up between him and Lundqvist.

In reality though, I doubt he gets nominated. Most of the voters are 50+ and go to bed before Quick even plays.

There's probably a large portion of voters who probably don't even know who he is.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:25 PM
SCARFACE909

In response to the east coast bias etc, the NHL general managers are the ones who vote the Vezina award, not the media.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:36 PM
MollerManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
In response to the east coast bias etc, the NHL general managers are the ones who vote the Vezina award, not the media.
I would think with that being the case quick has a better chance to win, no matter how small the chance.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
March Stats:

Lundqvist: 12 games: 7-4-1 ; 2.62 @ 0.894%

Quick: 11 games: 8-3-0 ; 1.98 @ 0.921%

If the Kings make the playoffs, especially if they win the Pacific, I could see Quick winning the Vezina.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
SCARFACE909

I think it's a toss up, you could give it to either guy, as a Kings fan I'd love for Quick to win, but Lundqvist has been a top goalie for a while now but still hasn't won. Can go either way.

Old
03-29-2012, 06:48 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Better question to me is what are the odds that Halak and Elliot both get nominated and Hank wins the award? Otherwise I gotta think Quick finishes at the very lowest third in voting.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Better question to me is what are the odds that Halak and Elliot both get nominated and Hank wins the award? Otherwise I gotta think Quick finishes at the very lowest third in voting.

Halak and Elliot will be getting the Jennings trophy which is goaltending tandem with lowest GAA. Neither of them has really played enough games to be considered.

I think it'll be: 1. Lundqvist/Quick 2. Quick/Lundqvist 3. Rinne

Old
03-30-2012, 01:03 AM
cubsfan999

ultimately, the cup is the ONLY prize that matters. everything else is ego, and that is not always good for the player or the team.

cubsfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

I rather see him win the Conn-Smythe, if you get my drift.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:40 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Luckily GMs vote on the Vezina, so east coast bias isn't really a factor (at I don't think so), but I kind of feel that Lundqvist will win it because of reputation and being a finalist 3(?) other times if their stats stay as close as they are. If both continue their recent play though, Quick's numbers should be better enough that he gets it.

I will definitely be complaing about east coast bias if isn't Quick at least a finalist for the Hart if we make the playoffs.

FootKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:44 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Luckily GMs vote on the Vezina, so east coast bias isn't really a factor (at I don't think so), but I kind of feel that Lundqvist will win it because of reputation and being a finalist 3(?) other times if their stats stay as close as they are. If both continue their recent play though, Quick's numbers should be better enough that he gets it.

I will definitely be complaing about east coast bias if isn't Quick at least a finalist for the Hart if we make the playoffs.
I can't remember what season it was (I think it was 2004) Roberto Luongo set NHL records for shots faced and saves made, and led the league in save % and ended up losing the Vezina to Martin Broduer. Quick to me is at that point right now where he has to have significantly better numbers than Hank to beat him in any voting to overcome the known guy votes. To me the guys in the running should be Hank, Quick, and one of Rinne, Smith, Howard, Elliot or Halak... But I wouldn't be shocked at all if Quick gets left off the list due to not playing in a major market (see why Howard may get votes) and playing on the west coast (also why I can't see Smith getting votes despite him having a very good season in PHX but gets votes for playing for a darling team,) Rinne, Elliot, and Halak all benefit from playing in the Central (the one division in the West any one in the East actually cares about) and Elliot and Halak especially benefit because they are the main guys on this years cinderella story team in the Blues.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:19 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
I can't remember what season it was (I think it was 2004) Roberto Luongo set NHL records for shots faced and saves made, and led the league in save % and ended up losing the Vezina to Martin Broduer. Quick to me is at that point right now where he has to have significantly better numbers than Hank to beat him in any voting to overcome the known guy votes. To me the guys in the running should be Hank, Quick, and one of Rinne, Smith, Howard, Elliot or Halak... But I wouldn't be shocked at all if Quick gets left off the list due to not playing in a major market (see why Howard may get votes) and playing on the west coast (also why I can't see Smith getting votes despite him having a very good season in PHX but gets votes for playing for a darling team,) Rinne, Elliot, and Halak all benefit from playing in the Central (the one division in the West any one in the East actually cares about) and Elliot and Halak especially benefit because they are the main guys on this years cinderella story team in the Blues.

Again playing in LA shouldn't have anything to do with it. He'll be a finalist, the Vezina is voted on by the 30 NHL general managers. Not the media.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

That being said, I think Lundqvist will win it due the Kings being a better defensive team. It's not most valuable goalie but best goalie, so GM's will likely be influenced by Lundqvist arguably having a harder time since he team does not play as defensive (I'd argue whether this is true, NYR block more shots than any team I have seen, but point remains). Quick will be the very close runner-up. Elliot will likely get the 3rd nomination, which is just stupid crazy considering he was considered the Tank Master for the Avs last year

New York is actually the 3rd best defensive team in the NHL right behind the Kings.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Nex06

There are many great goalies in the league, something that most of the posters don't realize. I won't be disappointed if Quick doesn't win it. He will probably be nominated.

As Sutter said, it's always a combination of great goalie and great defensive system in front of him. It has been like that with Quick, Lundqvist, Rinne (You saw that save he made yesterday? Beautiful), Elliot/Halak...

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Scottkmlps

John Shannon was saying on Hockey Central on Sportsnet this morning, that he thinks they are neck and neck and could see Lundqvist winning it, but Quick will see a lot of votes from GM's in the West.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote