HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Stretch: What Teams Should Jackets Fans Be Cheering For?

Old
03-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Yep... if Howson stays and the CBJ win a playoff round (heck just a game) the Mayor will rule..
I already have a plan for a permanent avatar if that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Not sure why anyone is rooting for Nashville. If they go far they will be able to keep Suter and Weber, but if they are outted early they would likely leave. Same for Radulov
If there's one thing I've learned from all those years watching the NFL and carefully looking at other pro sports, it's that player movement based on team success is impossible to predict under any circumstances. If a player wins the Cup in the last year of his contract, does he stay or go? After all, he's as likely as not to win another if he stays, but on the other hand, maybe he's achieved all that he wanted to with that team.

Nashville being dumped early might convince them that they're still contenders who just need a piece or two...that might convince them not only to stay, but take a discount to stay together for a long period of time.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Salo looks like Chimera with a terminal illness.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:40 PM
EspenK

Is that Tom Cruise bottom right?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Copying Espen's post from "Around the NHL" here - as this was, I think, intended to be a "track teams trying to make the playoffs as it impacts the CBJ" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Good night last night. Besides the jackets, LA won moving into the 7th spot in the west as SJ lost. Got to root for Dallas to win out (they have a tough schedule) and the Kings to finish strong. Going to come down to the wire.

SJ has 2 with Dallas & 2 (the last 2) with LA. Going to be wild.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:17 PM
EspenK

SJ and Phoenix tonight. Either way LA falls to 8th.
Think it is better if SJ wins. They have a tougher road than Phoenix who have the Jackets, Minnesota & Anaheim left. Win those and lose to St Louis & SJ gives them 93 for the season.

SJ wins , splits with LA & Dallas give them 94 points.

LA sweeps Edmonton, beats Minn and splits with SJ gives them 96 points

Dallas splits with SJ, could lose to Vancouver, Nashville & St Louis 91 pts.

Phoenix loses to SJ, beats Jackets, Minnesota,Anaheim, and loses to St Louis. They wind up at 93 points.

Okay so maybe all that all of this "proves" is if form holds somewhat, LA will win division.

Might be too early to decide who to root for and when.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

As I said in the OP, I'll be cheering for Phoenix tonight. I still want LA to miss.

I also now hope Toronto wins every game from here on in so that they move down the draft order.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:48 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Think it is better if SJ wins. They have a tougher road than Phoenix who have the Jackets, Minnesota & Anaheim left. Win those and lose to St Louis & SJ gives them 93 for the season.

SJ wins , splits with LA & Dallas give them 94 points.

Phoenix loses to SJ, beats Jackets, Minnesota,Anaheim, and loses to St Louis. They wind up at 93 points.

Okay so maybe all that all of this "proves" is if form holds somewhat, LA will win division.

I'm rooting against San Jose and for LA and Phoenix. I hate San Jose. Last night was about as close to perfect as it gets these days for me--Jackets beat the hated Wings, Ducks beat the hated Sharks.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I'll root first for any team that was 15th in their conference on January 27th and makes the playoffs...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:52 AM
EspenK

Good night for the Cap'n as Phoenix beat SJ to move into 7th in the west dropping the Sharks to 9th. LA currently in perfect position but that will change I suspect.

Tonight Dallas goes to Vancouver

LA plays Edmonton

Last edited by EspenK: 03-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old
03-31-2012, 06:44 AM
EspenK

Form held last night as Kings and Nucks win.

LA now in first on Pacific

BY 1 over Dallas & Phoenix

2 over SJ & Colorado but Avs have played 2 more

Old
03-31-2012, 07:05 AM
EspenK

Quote:

SJ wins , splits with LA & Dallas give them 92 points.

Phoenix loses to SJ, beats Jackets, Minnesota,Anaheim, and loses to St Louis. They wind up at 95 points.

Fixed Phoenix and SJ point totals

Still a dogfight with Dallas having toughest road

Would also be nice to see the Blackhawks pick up a couple of points to get to 97 to pretty much give them 6th place.

Question: I was just reading that the draft order for playoff teams are determined by when they lose with the team with the worse record getting the better seed. It didn't say lower seed. Is this right?

No- That's what I get from reading Wikipedia

Here it is from NHL.com

The order of selection among the Member Clubs in each season shall be determined in the following manner:
A composite of all Member Clubs shall be prepared by placing:
i) First the Clubs which failed to qualify for the preceding playoffs in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest points total and followed by the Club having the next lowest points total, and so forth.
ii) The Clubs which participated in the preceding playoffs (but had not been ranked first in their respective Divisions and had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iii) The Clubs which had been ranked first in their Divisions during the next preceding season (but had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iv) The Stanley Cup winner shall select last, thus, positioning all Clubs on the list.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Here it is from NHL.com

The order of selection among the Member Clubs in each season shall be determined in the following manner:
It was adjusted a couple years ago.

#1-14 are the non-playoff teams in reverse order by points, pending the lottery.

#27-30 are, in order, the conference finalist with the fewest points, conference finalist with more points, Cup runner-up, Cup winner

#15-26 are the non-conference finalists, with the division champions taking the last spots in their own separate level...regardless, #25-26 are going to be division champions who didn't make the conference finals, and possibly 21-24 as well.

Hence why I don't want the Kings to win their division. They may be 15th overall if they make the playoffs as a wild card and don't make the conference finals, or they could be 25th if they do win the division.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:29 AM
EspenK

For best possible draft position for LA with 3 remaining (Ottawa has 4)

Phoenix and SJ win out (97 & 96)
Dallas loses last 3 (89)
Ottawa and Washington win last 3 (96 & 94)
Buffalo misses
LA beats Edmonton and loses both to SJ (93)

Old
04-03-2012, 06:21 AM
EspenK

Hate to say it but I think rooting against the Jackets tonight is actually rooting for the future.

A Phoenix win keeps them in the hunt for the Pacific crown. LA is looking good for one of the spots (although they can still miss) it would just be nice if they didn't win the division.

So tonight I'm pulling for the Jackets to lose a well played game while SJ beats Dallas. Even if Dallas loses, they aren't eliminated they just have a tougher road to get in , having to beat St Louis on Friday and Minnesota.

It will be nice when this is cleared up.

Old
04-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Hate to say it but I think rooting against the Jackets tonight is actually rooting for the future.

A Phoenix win keeps them in the hunt for the Pacific crown. LA is looking good for one of the spots (although they can still miss) it would just be nice if they didn't win the division.

So tonight I'm pulling for the Jackets to lose a well played game while SJ beats Dallas. Even if Dallas loses, they aren't eliminated they just have a tougher road to get in , having to beat St Louis on Friday and Minnesota.

It will be nice when this is cleared up.
Agreed.

This nice run of late could allow for some false confidence and possibly allow the worst front office in the game (Patrick excluded) from continuing the gutting process of this horrible team. Getting slaughtered in each of the last three would be a fitting end to a pathetic season.

Winning out would be like that 12 or so game stretch that Mason had. A mirage.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:44 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Hence why I don't want the Kings to win their division.
Compelling. We'll see how it plays out. I just can never actually root for our team to lose.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

Yeah, I was really hoping Edmonton could beat the Kings last night. I guess I have to cheer for the Sharks to beat them in the upcoming home and home.

I won't cheer against the Jackets, but I won't be upset if we lose in a shootout to the Coyotes tonight.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:38 AM
EspenK

Root for SJ (sorry Capn) to sweep the Kings and Vancouver to beat Dallas and Phoenix to win one more-Kings finish 8th

And it would be nice if Ottawa could win one more also. Boston & NJ -ugh

That would be the perfect storm. Kings would be 16th of 16.

Last edited by EspenK: 04-04-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old
04-04-2012, 08:12 AM
blahblah

Quote:
That would be the perfect storm. Kings would be 16th of 16.
Perfect storm? Anything more cosmically challenging then pushing the "I win" button is far too complicated to transpire for the Blue Jackets. At least for a positive outcome.

We couldn't even get the NHLPA to not block realignment. I'm amazed that the arena deal actually occurred. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop on that one, crushing that deal.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Skraut

I'm just hoping for 8 first round upsets. That way there are lots of teams that expected to go on cup runs who will be looking to add a certain winger in the offseason.

Last edited by Skraut: 04-04-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: English... It helps when you type it correctly.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:37 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'm just hoping for 8 first round upsets. That way there are lots of teams that expected to go on cup runs who will be looking to add a certain winger in the offseason.
There is that.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Teams Columbus fans should hope bow out early in order to receive a better draft pick:

Los Angeles (been discussed to death)
Ottawa (2nd Round pick acquired in the Vermette trade)
Vancouver (4th Round pick acquired in the Pahlsson trade)

Teams Columbus fans should hope bow out early out of principle:

Florida (Can you imagine how smug Portzline will be in Dineen goes far in the playoffs. The DMC will be off the charts)
Philadelphia (Voracek seems to love taking shots at the Columbus fans. **** him. It's a shame because I really like this team otherwise)
Buffalo (Bob won't shut up)
St. Louis (Yeah, I know the team sucks, country club atmosphere, LTL, tr00ness, etc., but does anyone feel like the Hitch we got and the Hitch we're seeing are different coaches? We've questioned just about everyone's effort at one time or another, so I'll go out and ask it. Did Hitch quit on the team? I'm not sure the difference in talent level is enough to explain the difference in results. McConnell should ask for his money back.)
Nashville (Because whenever Viqsi starts the Nashville love-in, you can always counter their praises with "they've won 1 playoff series." Tends to curb their enthusiasm.)

04-04-2012, 03:15 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Teams Columbus fans should hope bow out early in order to receive a better draft pick:

Teams Columbus fans should hope bow out early out of principle:

Florida (Can you imagine how smug Portzline will be in Dineen goes far in the playoffs. The DMC will be off the charts)
Philadelphia (Voracek seems to love taking shots at the Columbus fans. **** him. It's a shame because I really like this team otherwise)
Buffalo (Bob won't shut up)
St. Louis (Yeah, I know the team sucks, country club atmosphere, LTL, tr00ness, etc., but does anyone feel like the Hitch we got and the Hitch we're seeing are different coaches? We've questioned just about everyone's effort at one time or another, so I'll go out and ask it. Did Hitch quit on the team? I'm not sure the difference in talent level is enough to explain the difference in results. McConnell should ask for his money back.)
Nashville (Because whenever Viqsi starts the Nashville love-in, you can always counter their praises with "they've won 1 playoff series." Tends to curb their enthusiasm.)
huh? You mean the thing he said at the Flyer's Wives thing? or more?

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Hoping that Vancouver gets pummeled early has absolutely nothing to do with draft picks.

Old
04-04-2012, 03:38 PM
FANonymous

So if Dallas wins out and LA craps the bed on their last 2 games while Phoenix wins one more game, LA would miss the playoffs and I would laugh my ass off. Pulling for the longshot.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote