HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Retaping your Hockey Stick

Old
03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

vCash: 500
Problem with the method in the video is NHL players can afford to get new sticks all the time, whereas us regular Joe players try to make ours last. If you did Erik Cole's method and put no tape on the bottom, the stick would wear and the material would start to splinter and peel off after a while

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I like to beef up the bottom part of my blade because that part goes fast. Once you have a little chip on the bottom of your blade, it starts to wear fast.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:17 PM
TieClark

I don't know why but I tear the crap out of my tape... so basically every game I have to re-tape it. It's because habit now so even if it's not too bad I'll do it anyways

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Problem with the method in the video is NHL players can afford to get new sticks all the time, whereas us regular Joe players try to make ours last. If you did Erik Cole's method and put no tape on the bottom, the stick would wear and the material would start to splinter and peel off after a while
I used Tacki Mack pads and ride bareback on the bottom of my Easton ST blades.
After two seasons or 30+ games minimum i have no problems with the bottom of my blades except a bit of orange paint chipping.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

ST blades are a hell of a lot more durable than some of the OPS blades out there.

For me sticks tend to wear and chip along the bottom of the blade, eventually getting weak and losing accuracy. Almost never snap them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
ST blades are a hell of a lot more durable than some of the OPS blades out there.

For me sticks tend to wear and chip along the bottom of the blade, eventually getting weak and losing accuracy. Almost never snap them.
I had sherwood RM7 blades for a bit but even with only 10 or less games they chipped like crazy. All over the place.

Old
03-26-2012, 03:24 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I had sherwood RM7 blades for a bit but even with only 10 or less games they chipped like crazy. All over the place.
on my RM19 OPS the blade chipped like crazy and felt dead...

Jarick, is the ST blade a pretty high performing blade for most standard 2 pieces? I was trying to find a Bauer PM9 or Easton Iginla, but the blade options for some reason here, are very limited to crap.. i.e. X:20's/X:30's OR Easton STs, and APX/TotalOne

I like the wood blade on my AK27, but i do find it to go soft like every 3-4 games, and that's without taking any clappers

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The ST blade is, like the name says, "super tough" but it's incredibly heavy too. I had one of the older ones, back when they were red, and it was pretty good, but it's a brick in terms of weight. Completely kills the balance.

I couldn't find anything that balanced with the AK27 and gave up. I'd rather pay a little more for a balanced OPS than an unbalanced 2-piece. But I don't break sticks. To me balance is #2 right behind flex at #1 in importance because I shoot quick wrist/snappers in stride.

Old
03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
The ST blade is, like the name says, "super tough" but it's incredibly heavy too. I had one of the older ones, back when they were red, and it was pretty good, but it's a brick in terms of weight. Completely kills the balance.

I couldn't find anything that balanced with the AK27 and gave up. I'd rather pay a little more for a balanced OPS than an unbalanced 2-piece. But I don't break sticks. To me balance is #2 right behind flex at #1 in importance because I shoot quick wrist/snappers in stride.
I hear ya... I don't break sticks that often, but I did find a couple of the old sherwood comp's and the vapour XXXX to be less than "tough"

I think I'll stick with the old wood blade on the AK, as it keeps it incredibly light and with a wood plug... quite balanced
just gotta find a surplus of em.. and hot glue

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:

I don't know what the actual weights are but the Sherwood RM feels a lot heavier than my ST.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
SlyHabs

When I played competitive, I would tape my stick every period. I was able to because the zamboni would go every period. Nowadays, I use 3 sticks, one for each period.

SlyHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
ironranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Does putting that extra strip on the bottom really add extra grip to the ice? With a normal tape job you already have tape on the bottom, so does adding this strip really make a difference? Reason I'm asking is because I'm having trouble getting some flex on my shots and I think it's because my stick slips out too easily.
When I skate on outdoor rinks I put the extra strip on the bottom first then tape it to help the tape last longer and protect the stick which is the only reason I'd ever heard of for doing that

When I 'm skating indoors I don't but I still tape the toe

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:11 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Does putting that extra strip on the bottom really add extra grip to the ice? With a normal tape job you already have tape on the bottom, so does adding this strip really make a difference? Reason I'm asking is because I'm having trouble getting some flex on my shots and I think it's because my stick slips out too easily.

the tape is really a non factor when it comes to flexing a stick on the ice. its either your technique or its your stick that is to stiff

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:30 PM
do0glas

So i decided to go heel to toe on my tape job recently.

as for the "FEEL" of the puck on your blade, youd never notice a difference, but whether my technique is getting better or it was the tape gripping more on the puck, my shots were flying true more often than not.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:52 PM
nightfighter

What's the thinking behind taping just the toe, or half way, heel to toe, just the middle?

I've always taped 2/3rds of the blade and covering the toe, but for no better reason then that's what my friend that plays hockey does as well.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
ironranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
What's the thinking behind taping just the toe, or half way, heel to toe, just the middle?

I've always taped 2/3rds of the blade and covering the toe, but for no better reason then that's what my friend that plays hockey does as well.
There are different reasons/opinions but I have always taped the whole blade and toe to protect the blade when doing toe drags or anything for that matter.

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:12 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

I tape almost the entire blade, starting about a half inch or so forward of the heel and covering everything including the toe. I tape it that way so that the feel and the friction is consistent across the entire blade. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but that's my thinking.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Some people feel it helps with quicker stickhandling with no friction on the bottom or like the look of it.

One nice thing about taping just the mid over the toe is out of the corner of your eye you can see the contrast and where the puck lies. I taped the back half black and front half white for a bit because of that.

Old
03-29-2012, 07:58 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Usually after every game or practice.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I usually only tape it when it needs it which is anywhere from 1-5 skates.

As far as only taping part of the blade, it's mostly personal preference. I switch between curves every so often and I found only taping just past the curve helps visual see the puck in a shooting position in my periferal easier. Only works with white tape really.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:38 PM
thedonger

i tape over the toe as well but because of durability reasons. i tend to dig the puck out from along the boards quite a bit and this can wreak havoc on the toe of the blade. ever since i started doing that, i rarely get any chipping there.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:44 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Some people feel it helps with quicker stickhandling with no friction on the bottom or like the look of it.

One nice thing about taping just the mid over the toe is out of the corner of your eye you can see the contrast and where the puck lies. I taped the back half black and front half white for a bit because of that.
That's interesting. I should try that. For me right now it's mostly aesthetic. I"m gonna see if this works.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote