HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline pt 3 - (Feb 27th at 2 PM CST) Can a brother get a top 30 forward ?

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 10:41 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Is laakso traded or is his contract up??

Also hope hillen is gone but wouldn't care if cube stayed as 7th defenseman but then again with Blum, Ekholm, and Roussel waiting to play in NHL maybe it's best we part ways this offseason.

Are any of laakso, yip, cube, hillen free agents this offseason? Also kinda like yip though too...

Old
03-27-2012, 11:06 PM
maplepred

Just curious, since we acquired ak46 I have noticed sk74's back of his jersey doesn't have an s.Kostitsyn. Does andrei have an a.Kostitsyn??

Old
03-27-2012, 11:10 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Is laakso traded or is his contract up??

Also hope hillen is gone but wouldn't care if cube stayed as 7th defenseman but then again with Blum, Ekholm, and Roussel waiting to play in NHL maybe it's best we part ways this offseason.

Are any of laakso, yip, cube, hillen free agents this offseason? Also kinda like yip though too...
Roussel? hahahahahaha We've got him playing in St Johns and not with the Ads.

capgeek.com = the answer to all of your contract and future FA questions.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:15 AM
maplepred

Thank you sir! Also that's to bad to hear about Roussel, guess he never really progressed. Wonder if he has any trace value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Roussel? hahahahahaha We've got him playing in St Johns and not with the Ads.

capgeek.com = the answer to all of your contract and future FA questions.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:27 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Just curious, since we acquired ak46 I have noticed sk74's back of his jersey doesn't have an s.Kostitsyn. Does andrei have an a.Kostitsyn??
Nope

Old
03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Legionnaire11

They didn't us A. or S. in Montreal either.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:38 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
They didn't us A. or S. in Montreal either.
That used to always be how they did it years ago. And Vancouver has an h and a d for the sedin sisters as well.

Kind of confusing for random fans just watching game that don't know their numbers.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
That used to always be how they did it years ago. And Vancouver has an h and a d for the sedin sisters as well.

Kind of confusing for random fans just watching game that don't know their numbers.
AK is out widest forward, you can't confuse him with anybody

Old
03-28-2012, 10:26 PM
tserberis*

Quote:

Female requirement.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:25 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
AK is out widest forward, you can't confuse him with anybody
Is he? I thought it would have been gaustad... Fisher is big to and so is leggy and wilson

Can't wait to pummel wings in playoffs!!! We added so much size at deadline!

Old
03-29-2012, 08:46 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Is he? I thought it would have been gaustad... Fisher is big to and so is leggy and wilson

Can't wait to pummel wings in playoffs!!! We added so much size at deadline!
I didn't say biggest, I said WIDEST

He is 6' and 214 pounds. Heaviest of all the forwards. ( I don't count McKraken in)

Not a lot of guys in this league can do this:

Last edited by tserberis*: 03-29-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old
03-29-2012, 07:56 PM
maplepred

Do you think ak and sk resign??

Old
03-29-2012, 08:07 PM
tserberis*

SK yes. He is RFA. AK maybe, will depend on his play off performance.

I think he personally wouldn't mind, it will all come up to Preds offering a reasonable contract. I think 10 mil each for 3 years.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

My gut feeling is that AK won't come back if he gets a reasonable offer elsewhere, but yeah SK is restricted so odds are he'll be back. That and he's a top-liner every game. I'm sure he doesn't hate that.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If we make a deep playoff run, I wouldn't be shocked to see AK stay here to be with his brother. We'll see.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Legionnaire11

AK seemed attached to Montreal, didn't want to leave and wasn't happy about being traded. Though he now seems to enjoy Nashville, or at least being in a contending situation and playing with Sergei. So I'd say it's between Nashville and Montreal, doubt he wants to go learn another market/team already.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
AK seemed attached to Montreal, didn't want to leave and wasn't happy about being traded. Though he now seems to enjoy Nashville, or at least being in a contending situation and playing with Sergei. So I'd say it's between Nashville and Montreal, doubt he wants to go learn another market/team already.
If he wants to play with SK, he has to stay here. Something tells me Sergei isn't welcome back in Monteal

Looks to me like, if the contract offers are equal, he has to decide between playing on a playoff team with his brother or a worse team that he loves in the city he loves. Tough choice, and yes, i am serious. Should be interesting.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Legionnaire11

Another thing to consider, Montreal just fired Gauthier and Cunneyworth is definitely on very, very thin ice. The uncertainty of change in Montreal, vs the years of stability in Nashville could definitely sway things in the Preds favor.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:30 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Another thing to consider, Montreal just fired Gauthier and Cunneyworth is definitely on very, very thin ice. The uncertainty of change in Montreal, vs the years of stability in Nashville could definitely sway things in the Preds favor.
Good point, I also think ak may enjoy the 'less pressure' of playing in a smaller hockey market like Nashville as oppose to habs.

I think playoff picture will be big impact

Old
03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Good point, I also think ak may enjoy the 'less pressure' of playing in a smaller hockey market like Nashville as oppose to habs.
I'm not sure market size will be a big issue for Andrei. I can see him enjoying a market with less attention paid to it like Nashville, but a market like Montreal surely wouldn't put him off. He developed in the Montreal system and the majority of his NHL career has been in the midst of a high pressure environment. During this time, he paid his dues in the minors, he had to adapt his game under heavy scrutiny from the media, he got demoted at times when he was doing great and almost always had to work his way back up the lineup, there were numerous media peeps who didn't give him the credit he deserved or the benefit of the doubt and a number of them tried to run him out of town so fiercely there was talk of the FBI arresting him when the plane landed after a game in Pittsburgh, the so called Darkest Day in Habs History. The storm around that story prompted the police to look over their evidence a second time to see if they had missed something that connected AK to organised crime, but they found him and the others, yet again, to be completely innocent. Other players asked for trades out of Montreal because of FAR less than that, yet AK was relatively happy there and wanted to stay. With that in mind, I really don't think high pressure environments are something that will put him off signing with any team. If there is a tougher NHL market for him to play in than Montreal, I'm not sure what it would be.

When the summer rolls around, if Nashville make him an offer then I would expect him to consider it but I think he will see what other options are available. I can see him potentially signing in Nashville after July 1st if he is to sign with you, I don't think he would sign before then though. This summer is a chance for him to settle into the 'prime' years of his career in a city of his choice (within the bounds of what contracts he is offered) and building a home for his family where they are all happy to be. I can see him going for lower contract value in exchange for a little more security over his future wherever he signs. From a hockey standpoint, I'd expect he'd want to be somewhere that will look to use him as a top 6 guy and let him use his skills and not demand him to be defensively responsible first and foremost. He can play good defensive hockey as the past few games have shown but I'm not sure he'd want to be on a team/with a coach who hold his offesnive skills back just so he is always in the right position defensively.

The matter of playing on the same team as his brother doesn't seem to be a major factor for him though IMO. He seemed happy in Montreal without Sergei and while it is a nice bonus for him, I'm not sure that it's something that would be a major factor in where he ends up signing, but that's just my impression.

The one factor I'm really not sure about is whether he'd want to be somewhere with a strong local Russian community. I think that was a big deal for him in Montreal because when he got there, he didn't speak English very well and having that community around him seemed to help him adjust. While he isn't fluent in English now (if you think his English is rough now, you should have heard his interviews when he was in the AHL), he can get by well enough. Maybe having such a community around will continue to be a big deal for him, maybe it won't, but it's something else to consider. My knowledge of North American cities runs out well in advance of knowing which cities have Russian/Eastern European communities within them, short of New York and Montreal.

If I had to pick one side of the fence or the other, I'd say he signs with a new team this summer. Nashville will probably be in the running, but I'm not sure he stays there beyond the playoffs, especially if it's to fill a role of 3rd line winger. IIRC, he was a fan of either the Caps or the Devils when he was younger so I can see one of them potentially being of interest to him. I don't know if Pittsburgh will be in the market for a scoring winger, but I think he'd enjoy playing a high tempo offensive game on a team with a lot of quality centres. He seems to have a similar character to Malkin too, bit of a reputation for being a bit quiet outside the team but a bit of a joker in the room. Wherever he goes, I just hope it isn't Boston, Toronto, Philly or Columbus. I'd find it difficult cheering for him in those cities

Old
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I'm not sure market size will be a big issue for Andrei. I can see him enjoying a market with less attention paid to it like Nashville, but a market like Montreal surely wouldn't put him off. He developed in the Montreal system and the majority of his NHL career has been in the midst of a high pressure environment. During this time, he paid his dues in the minors, he had to adapt his game under heavy scrutiny from the media, he got demoted at times when he was doing great and almost always had to work his way back up the lineup, there were numerous media peeps who didn't give him the credit he deserved or the benefit of the doubt and a number of them tried to run him out of town so fiercely there was talk of the FBI arresting him when the plane landed after a game in Pittsburgh, the so called Darkest Day in Habs History. The storm around that story prompted the police to look over their evidence a second time to see if they had missed something that connected AK to organised crime, but they found him and the others, yet again, to be completely innocent. Other players asked for trades out of Montreal because of FAR less than that, yet AK was relatively happy there and wanted to stay. With that in mind, I really don't think high pressure environments are something that will put him off signing with any team. If there is a tougher NHL market for him to play in than Montreal, I'm not sure what it would be.

When the summer rolls around, if Nashville make him an offer then I would expect him to consider it but I think he will see what other options are available. I can see him potentially signing in Nashville after July 1st if he is to sign with you, I don't think he would sign before then though. This summer is a chance for him to settle into the 'prime' years of his career in a city of his choice (within the bounds of what contracts he is offered) and building a home for his family where they are all happy to be. I can see him going for lower contract value in exchange for a little more security over his future wherever he signs. From a hockey standpoint, I'd expect he'd want to be somewhere that will look to use him as a top 6 guy and let him use his skills and not demand him to be defensively responsible first and foremost. He can play good defensive hockey as the past few games have shown but I'm not sure he'd want to be on a team/with a coach who hold his offesnive skills back just so he is always in the right position defensively.

The matter of playing on the same team as his brother doesn't seem to be a major factor for him though IMO. He seemed happy in Montreal without Sergei and while it is a nice bonus for him, I'm not sure that it's something that would be a major factor in where he ends up signing, but that's just my impression.

The one factor I'm really not sure about is whether he'd want to be somewhere with a strong local Russian community. I think that was a big deal for him in Montreal because when he got there, he didn't speak English very well and having that community around him seemed to help him adjust. While he isn't fluent in English now (if you think his English is rough now, you should have heard his interviews when he was in the AHL), he can get by well enough. Maybe having such a community around will continue to be a big deal for him, maybe it won't, but it's something else to consider. My knowledge of North American cities runs out well in advance of knowing which cities have Russian/Eastern European communities within them, short of New York and Montreal.

If I had to pick one side of the fence or the other, I'd say he signs with a new team this summer. Nashville will probably be in the running, but I'm not sure he stays there beyond the playoffs, especially if it's to fill a role of 3rd line winger. IIRC, he was a fan of either the Caps or the Devils when he was younger so I can see one of them potentially being of interest to him. I don't know if Pittsburgh will be in the market for a scoring winger, but I think he'd enjoy playing a high tempo offensive game on a team with a lot of quality centres. He seems to have a similar character to Malkin too, bit of a reputation for being a bit quiet outside the team but a bit of a joker in the room. Wherever he goes, I just hope it isn't Boston, Toronto, Philly or Columbus. I'd find it difficult cheering for him in those cities
You can find Russian corner in every big city of US, there is a few I've been too: San Francisco, LA, New York, New Jersey, Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, San Diego, Maimi, Baltimore, DC, Phily, Virginia Beach Metro, Tampa, Detroit, Sacramento, Orlando...

Nashville Russian Community will be next!!!

Just read Malahov's interview. He hates French media in Montreal. Almost ended his carrier. He is the one of six Russians who has won Olympics, WC and Stanley.

He also stated that it didn't matter who you are or how you play, they will destroy you if you get on the bad side with them.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
You can find Russian corner in every big city of US, there is a few I've been too: San Francisco, LA, New York, New Jersey, Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, San Diego, Maimi, Baltimore, DC, Phily, Virginia Beach Metro, Tampa, Detroit, Sacramento, Orlando...
That's interesting to know, thanks. If Andrei is looking for that aspect in the next city he signs in, I guess it won't be a factor that proves too limiting.

Quote:
Just read Malahov's interview. He hates French media in Montreal. Almost ended his carrier. He is the one of six Russians who has won Olympics, WC and Stanley.

He also stated that it didn't matter who you are or how you play, they will destroy you if you get on the bad side with them.
I'm not as familiar with Malakhov's history but with Andrei, the darkest day BS I recall mostly coming from the french side. In general however, there are hacks on both sides of the language barrier and I think your last comment probably doesn't apply to one side more than another. People on both sides have agendas or play favourites on a regular basis and with such a large fanbase, some fans somewhere will give life to any comment made and add to the constant pressure surrounding the team.

I think the pressure around the team from fans/media is a factor in our struggles to develop young players in the NHL. We draft very well, we develop in the minor leagues very well but only the best young talent sticks, the borderline guys (Lats, Grabs, SK, O'Byrne, D'Agostini for example, even Streit) have to either sink or swim with the pressure on the team to perform. Those best players who swim stick around, the ones who sink disappear but the ones who paddle don't get the same chance to develop as they do in another market so we see lots of young players find their game away from Montreal. When we are fighting for a playoff spot, we need results so we turn to more experienced guys we get through trade or waivers (Metropolit, Wiz, Moore, Schneider, etc) who take away from the opportunity of the young borderline guys who will ultimately be moved, often for future assets, feeding the cycle. Hopefully the new management will try and make Montreal a safer environment for young players to develop because otherwise I suspect we will continue to waste assets.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I was browsing the Trade boards and saw a SJS fan saying that if there was a blow-up, Pavelski and Clowe could be available. Personally, I dont see Pavs getting shipped off, but I played along and some of their fans agreed to a deal of Pavelski+Clowe for Wilson+Hornqvist+rights to Suter (assuming we know he wont stay).

Does that work for us?

Radulov-Pavelski-Erat
AK-Fisher-SK
Clow-Legwand-Smith
Borque-Spaling-Halischuk

Weber-Josi
(UFA)-Gill
Klein-Ellis/Blum

Old
03-30-2012, 05:49 PM
MrJoshua

Um. No.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:34 PM
maplepred

Predators lose on that deal I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I was browsing the Trade boards and saw a SJS fan saying that if there was a blow-up, Pavelski and Clowe could be available. Personally, I dont see Pavs getting shipped off, but I played along and some of their fans agreed to a deal of Pavelski+Clowe for Wilson+Hornqvist+rights to Suter (assuming we know he wont stay).

Does that work for us?

Radulov-Pavelski-Erat
AK-Fisher-SK
Clow-Legwand-Smith
Borque-Spaling-Halischuk

Weber-Josi
(UFA)-Gill
Klein-Ellis/Blum

Closed Thread