HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stretch Run: Can we win the Atlantic

Old
03-25-2012, 11:20 PM
thedjpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, I agree, I mean, they can have them automatically qualify for the playoffs, ignoring the amount of points they have, but the seeding is ridiculous.
Agreed.

That way it'd be:

NYR vs WSH
PIT vs OTT
PHI vs FLO
NJD vs BUF

if division winners were only gauranteed playoff spots.

That seems like a seeding/matchup much more deserving for higher seeds. Let NJD/BOS beat each other up instead of NYR/PIT vs PHI.

It's the way it should be.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Agreed.

That way it'd be:

NYR vs WSH
PIT vs OTT
PHI vs FLO
NJD vs BUF

That seems like a seeding/matchup much more deserving for higher seeds. Let NJD/BOS beat each other up instead of NYR/PIT vs PHI.

Lol, from 2nd round on would be all Atlantic division. I completely agree though. Why should a team be awarded home ice over another, better team, just cause they won their crappy division?

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Top Cheese Danish

I honestly think we'll be playing NYR first round. Which will make me want to smash plates.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:13 AM
PJStock*

Flyers just matchup better against the Penguins than they do against the Rangers. Comes down to the style of play, and partially, the goalie as well although Lundqvist has had a pretty bad month so far. Just really frustrating style of play, blocking shots, chipping away defensively. Rags have too many players like Boyle, Prust etc that have little to no talent, but do everything else to win. Flyers talent like Giroux, Jagr, Briere gets easily frustrated by tight checking. Though the playoffs are a different animal, and Bryz is playing lights out right now, I'd still prefer the Penguins as a first round opponent.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Agreed.

That way it'd be:

NYR vs WSH
PIT vs OTT
PHI vs FLO
NJD vs BUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Lol, from 2nd round on would be all Atlantic division. I completely agree though. Why should a team be awarded home ice over another, better team, just cause they won their crappy division?
I don't pay that much attention to what's discussed in GM meetings and such, but I do catch a glimpse here and there, and I've never even seen this discussed. This is what truly boggles me. They namely aren't afraid to tear down things that are seen as tradition, so why not discuss this issue, as well. My thinking is they figure that it's all or nothing, and that if you want to win, you need to beat the other teams, anyway. And I agree with that, but at this point, it's also about the integrity of the match-ups, not just winner takes all. Because if the playoffs are seen as a mere process to churn out the final winner, and not something that by itself is worth its while, then you could've easily just done away with them, and pronounce the regular season winner as the champion.

All in all, I'd like to see this discussed, and even if they don't change the system, at least hear the reasons why they think the current one is better.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:32 AM
xifentoozlerix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Though I don't necessarily agree with the argument, I guess it could be said that the current format helps account for a situation where the current points in the East could look like this:

If the team in the bottom division end up with more points than the team in the middle, wouldn't it be a bit "unfair" for the middle team without the current format?

I suppose really it could go both ways...somebody is bound to get screwed at some point no matter the format. Arguments can always be made...

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:36 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

I think it's going to come down to if we can beat the Pens in both of the games that remain. If we drop either game I don't think we have a chance. We're undefeated at the Consol Energy Center, so it's highly possible. We also own the tie breaker.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
BernieParent

If the Flyers were just chasing either the Rangers or the Penguins, I'd say there was an outside chance. Having both of them higher up in the standings makes this pretty much impossible.

Ignoring the slim chance of grabbing #1 in the conference, I was wondering if the Flyers would be better off in the #4 or the #5 slot. They are a very good road team, especially if they continue to play tighter defense and get superior goaltending from Bryzgalov. Plus, as long as the visitor can split the first two games in a series, they come home to their own fans' thunderous welcome. Not to mention that Laviolette doesn't stress line matching as much as some coaches, which is really the only tangible benefit of home-ice advantage.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If the Flyers were just chasing either the Rangers or the Penguins, I'd say there was an outside chance. Having both of them higher up in the standings makes this pretty much impossible.

Ignoring the slim chance of grabbing #1 in the conference, I was wondering if the Flyers would be better off in the #4 or the #5 slot. They are a very good road team, especially if they continue to play tighter defense and get superior goaltending from Bryzgalov. Plus, as long as the visitor can split the first two games in a series, they come home to their own fans' thunderous welcome. Not to mention that Laviolette doesn't stress line matching as much as some coaches, which is really the only tangible benefit of home-ice advantage.

And officiating.

Quote:
18. In the NHL, home teams get 20 percent fewer penalties and receive fewer minutes per penalty. "On average, home teams get two and a half more minutes of power play opportunities ... than away teams. That is a huge advantage." If you multiply that by a 20 percent success rate, you get an extra 0.25 goals per game for the home team. Since the average overall differential is only 0.3 goals for the home team, "this alone accounts for more than 80 percent of the home ice advantage in hockey."
http://Sabremetricresearch.blogspot....advantage.html

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The Flyers get the Rangers one more time, so that can change that game a little bit. They also go to Pittsburgh twice in the last week of the season. Plus, they get Buffalo and Ottawa which could be opponents in a 1/8 matchup. Hopefully get some things fine-tuned over the next week
The Flyers need to win that Rangers game, but the regular season isn't the only thing that matters. IIRC, didn't the Habs beat the Flyers 4-0 during the regular season and the Flyers won the ECF in 5 games a few years ago?

The Rangers have come back to earth, we'll have to see if the Flyers can ever catch a break against them or not.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:56 PM
SgtJoseph

Not worried about any of this.....Been saying all season that the Flyers have as good a shot as ANY team in the league to get to the cup finals....Just need a little luck like the rest of the clubs do.Our club has great skill, a nice crop of young Rookies who show no fear,and a nice mix of solid Veterans....Looking forward to seeing how this club reacts come playoff time.....Do not be surprised if Jagr turns up the wick to another level !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Im just happy that Bryz is playing well and the defensive effort seems to be there. Whether who they play doesnt matter to me, I feel like they could beat either Pittsburgh or the Rangers.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:58 PM
MountainHawk

Tough loss, probably ends any realistic shot, but I'll keep updating the first post until it's over.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:39 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Similar things have been done:

Easily the most tense sports related moment I've ever been a part of. I actually fell out of my chair when Brian Freaking Boucher won on the last save.

I'll take any opportunity to post that video
Then the back from 3-0 in a series for just the third time in a series to win, then nearly beating Chicago. What a strange year, we were 7th in the East.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:26 PM
MountainHawk

Rangers win ... Flyers 7 behind the Rangers, not looking likely at all.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
MountainHawk

Rangers effectively putting the division away tonight IMO.

If the Flyers win out, they have home ice on the Penguins (assuming the wins are in regulation ;-) ).

Old
03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
MountainHawk

Flyers win, Pens lose. Now just 2 points out of 4th, with still two game against the Pens.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:31 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Flyers win, Pens lose. Now just 2 points out of 4th, with still two game against the Pens.
those two will decide it then

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:36 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Pretty tough schedule for the Flyers and Pens to close out the season. Who wants it more?

03-30-2012, 03:29 AM
BillDineen

Playoffs essentially start this weekend. Two teams fighting to stay in, Rags and Pens twice all likely just to get home ice vs the hated Pens. Last easy game is likely why Timonen sat out.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Gert B Frobe

Entirely likely that it's going to come down to that last game of the season in Pitt to decide home ice. Home ice would be nice - we all know the minor penalties will abound for the Flyers on the road in Pitt.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
The fact that the Flyers could possible play Pittsburgh 9 times over the next 3 weeks is crazy. Sucks that 6 of those 9 could be on the road.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

thinking up to 9 flyers Pens games in our near future.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:48 PM
MountainHawk

Updated now that I'm back from my weekend trip.

We can't win the division now, but we can still finish 4th.