HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Things to change for next year...

Old
03-29-2012, 08:56 PM
dahrougem2

vCash: 500
Things I would change for next season:

1) No matter what happens, no matter how bad the slump gets, the Landeskog/O'Reilly/Downie line, McGinn/Stastny/Jones line, and Olver/Duchene/Mueller line (provided mueller works on his skating this summer) DO NOT GET BROKEN UP WHATSOEVER. Why do you think O'Reilly's line has been so consistent this season? Because Lando and Radar have played together all season long, and haven't really changed RW's much and seem to have found a keeper in Downie. Look at how well Stastny plays when he gets to play long stretches with Jones, and Duchene has had so many different wingers the last 3 years I can't wait to see what he can do with a full season of the same linemates. You don't see the pens break malkin/neal/kunitz up because they slump, or the lightning break up stamkos/st. louis because they slump, etc.

2) Stefan Elliot makes the big club, Tyson Barrie does not. When I compare the two and their playing styles, of course they are eerily similar. Elliot shoots more, Barrie is pass-first but both fast offensive dmen. However, one thing I notice is that Elliot doesn't seem to be as scared to go into the corners as Barrie does (See Canucks @ Avalanche, Overtime, Higgins goal).

3) Give Sakic a more hands-on role with Matt Duchene. This kid has superstar potential and everyone sees it, but his confidence is seriously lacking right now and he just isn't making the smart plays. Spend some time with Burnaby Joe, hell take him fishing I don't care what it takes the more Duchene can learn from Sakic, the better.

4) With Sacco's return likely, please, no more dog-house approach. The players hate it, especially when it's only 1 or 2 mistakes that they make and they see the bench because of it. If the player is going to make the mistake you have to let them learn from it, not punish them for trying to be creative. With time they will learn, but don't kill every player's confidence, ESPECIALLY duchene's, by benching them

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:59 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
2) Stefan Elliot makes the big club, Tyson Barrie does not. When I compare the two and their playing styles, of course they are eerily similar. Elliot shoots more, Barrie is pass-first but both fast offensive dmen. However, one thing I notice is that Elliot doesn't seem to be as scared to go into the corners as Barrie does (See Canucks @ Avalanche, Overtime, Higgins goal).
I think the exact opposite. One play doesn't make Barrie soft. He's much more willing to engage physically than Elliott, who is soft as can be and avoids any and all physical contact.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Zingbo2133

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I think the exact opposite. One play doesn't make Barrie soft. He's much more willing to engage physically than Elliott, who is soft as can be and avoids any and all physical contact.
He also took a pretty rough hit earlier in the game. Could of messed with him a bit. I like what I saw from Elliot to start but then he came up but that was short lived. Barrie has looked more NHL ready defensively.

Zingbo2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

If Elliott goes to the gym and eats some protein bars he could easily make it over Barrie. But for now he is basically a liability in the defensive zone and is about as menacing as a sack of puppies.

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
AvsWraith

Quote:
Things I would change for next season:
3) Give Sakic a more hands-on role with Matt Duchene. This kid has superstar potential and everyone sees it, but his confidence is seriously lacking right now and he just isn't making the smart plays. Spend some time with Burnaby Joe, hell take him fishing I don't care what it takes the more Duchene can learn from Sakic, the better.
This needs to happen, but not while fishing. They need to be on the ice together, discussing decision making. What would you do in this situation? Which lane should I pick to shoot from? Where would you aim from here? This could really benefit Duchene if he could get some sage like advice.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:13 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
This needs to happen, but not while fishing. They need to be on the ice together, discussing decision making. What would you do in this situation? Which lane should I pick to shoot from? Where would you aim from here? This could really benefit Duchene if he could get some sage like advice.
I agree, but even if they were fishing (let's face it, nobody is going to spend the whole summer without any leisure time) it's still better then nothing. It would also give a higher chance of them spending more time together, you spend more time around people you enjoy.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingbo2133 View Post
He also took a pretty rough hit earlier in the game. Could of messed with him a bit. I like what I saw from Elliot to start but then he came up but that was short lived. Barrie has looked more NHL ready defensively.
Barrie has looks better each game. Elliot looked worse each game. Even if Elliot bulked up, he still needs time in the AHL. Too many soft passes which lead to 2 on 1s from him.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I guess we disagree, but Elliot to me just seems to have that spark that Barrie is lacking, like the time when Elliot went end to end vs the Sharks and put a beautiful wrist shot past the tender. I feel as though the avs are missing that offensive flare and in my opinion, Elliot provides it more-so than Barrie does

Old
03-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

:gasp: There is another Avs fan in California besides me?

Puckstop40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:01 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
What needs to change?

Two of these guys need to start putting the puck in the back of the net with vigor and consistency.
Agreed. We have to goal scorers, we just need them to actually score now. It's probably going to be Mueller and Jones. Duchene still working on perfecting his signature move, the Giveaway 360.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:04 AM
CB Joe

Quote:
I guess we disagree, but Elliot to me just seems to have that spark that Barrie is lacking, like the time when Elliot went end to end vs the Sharks and put a beautiful wrist shot past the tender. I feel as though the avs are missing that offensive flare and in my opinion, Elliot provides it more-so than Barrie does
Barrie got man handled on that play against Vancouver, can you imagine what would have happened to Elliott? I'll stick with Barrie, he has the better all around game.

Old
03-30-2012, 08:07 AM
CB Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
Doug Wilson

Old
03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
There's a few of us. Used to be a guy in Dana Point, but I don't know if he's still here or has another name now.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Barrie got man handled on that play against Vancouver, can you imagine what would have happened to Elliott? I'll stick with Barrie, he has the better all around game.
Considering the fact that they both weigh 190 lbs, but Elliott is 6'1 while Barrie is 5'10, I don't imagine what would have happened had that been Elliott. The Avs took a step in the right direction by wanting the defense to be bigger and more physical/in-your-face style and they did. But they did it so much to the extent that they don't have that offensive flare on the back end ala J.M. Liles. I'm not saying trade Barrie, I can see him as part of the Avs future but I feel like Elliott's offensive game is better than Barrie's and right now, the Avs sure could use the speed and production from the back end

Old
03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Considering the fact that they both weigh 190 lbs, but Elliott is 6'1 while Barrie is 5'10, I don't imagine what would have happened had that been Elliott. The Avs took a step in the right direction by wanting the defense to be bigger and more physical/in-your-face style and they did. But they did it so much to the extent that they don't have that offensive flare on the back end ala J.M. Liles. I'm not saying trade Barrie, I can see him as part of the Avs future but I feel like Elliott's offensive game is better than Barrie's and right now, the Avs sure could use the speed and production from the back end
Barrie looked much more comfortable to me than Elliott. I think Elliott has the better offensive upside (and not by a lot,) but Barrie is definitely more NHL ready from the games they've played so far. I wonder what we'll do. We need one of those guys to step up, and we also need another really good defender. Something's gotta give.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140
I'll stick with Barrie too.

18007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:07 PM
LandoClog

Quote:
Yes sir... It seems like we have to many red wings fans out here so another AVs fan is a good thing to have

LandoClog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:36 PM
dsheehan73

Take a run at Parise and Suter but don't get stupid. They are heads and shoulders above most other UFAs so their prices will be extremely high but anything above 7M/yr for either is just too much.

Only other FA I would consider is Matt Carle, else another crafty Sherman trade for a RW and/or just re-sign McC and our RFAs and I'll be happy....

dsheehan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:44 PM
fcbarcelona

1. Landeskog needs to get older
2. O'Reilly needs to get older
3. Mueller needs to continue to recover
4. Duchene needs to get stronger and take the puck to the net with some authority
5. Varlemov needs to continue to stay in control in net and perhaps control his rebounds better
6. Johnson needs to raise his hockey IQ

I think a lot of us actually under-estimate Sacco's coaching. He really does teach the players good positional play. At the end of the day, this team just needs to continue to mature. These players need time to grow. Hopefully, the product at it's peak will be great.

fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Balls on the table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
1. Landeskog needs to get older
2. O'Reilly needs to get older
3. Mueller needs to continue to recover
4. Duchene needs to get stronger and take the puck to the net with some authority
5. Varlemov needs to continue to stay in control in net and perhaps control his rebounds better
6. Johnson needs to raise his hockey IQ

I think a lot of us actually under-estimate Sacco's coaching. He really does teach the players good positional play. At the end of the day, this team just needs to continue to mature. These players need time to grow. Hopefully, the product at it's peak will be great.
So you don't like Johnson's play over the last half of the season?

Old
03-31-2012, 02:00 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
So you don't like Johnson's play over the last half of the season?
Nothing wrong with raising his hockey IQ ever higher

JWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:03 PM
Balls on the table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
Nothing wrong with raising his hockey IQ ever higher
Yeah, that's true. I just think he need to "get older" or gain experience too. He missed a whole year so he plays like a just turned 23 year old...... freaking animal IMO.

Old
03-31-2012, 02:19 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
Yeah, that's true. I just think he need to "get older" or gain experience too. He missed a whole year so he plays like a just turned 23 year old...... freaking animal IMO.
EJ is amazing. I think he's the best player on the team and will be the best player on our team along with Lando and Dutchy.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
The Avs had puck moving smallish, fast d-men who would put up alot of points prior to this year, that didn't work out as well because the team gave up the most goals in the league.

They sacrificed the offense from the blue line by getting rid of those smaller d-men who could put up points and brought in bigger, slower, tougher d-men to get better on D.

You could say they did actually improve on D a little bit this year, and over all this year was better than last year, but still the team is gonna miss the playoffs.

If Avs can somehow get a guy like Suter next year, they'll make the playoffs.
No, we had scrubs like Kyle Cumiskey. Liles should've been kept rather than being lost (and only for a 2nd round pick with an entire yr left on his contract considering the return that Kaberle and other similar players got at the deadline prior with half a year left on their contract...a 1st pick+prospect).

If they were gonna move Liles then it assumes Barrie/Elliott were ready when they weren't. And Liles was inconsistent but not the defensive liability that people here claim...he can play just as well with the minutes SOB gets.

When you don't have enough puck moving mobile dmen then your offense suffers badly, Duchene's the best example. How many rushes did he get when he picked up a pass from the neutral zone...that doesn't happen anymore. Even if the dmen aren't putting up pts, you need guys who can pass the puck better than er...Hejda.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoClog View Post
Hi guys. Relatively new here as a poster but been around the boards for a bit. Die hard AVs fan here and I must say I could tell it was coming but today when I saw we lost my heart sunk and I felt horrible. It's sad knowing we have to wait so long till next season.

Anyways I wanted to create a thread on things you all think we should change for next year. Things like coaches, players etc. Also who you realistically think we might trade for or acquire. Keeping in mind that Sherman trades usually come out of nowhere

A few things I would like to see changed are rather small but maybe some of you agree...

1. I think our team focuses to much on the past. We have these pictures of Sakic and the glory days and I also think his locker is kept in the locker room for nostalgia or something like that. I would like this team to start focusing on making their own statements and carving out their own place in history. I'm just not a big glory days guy.

2. Step 2 of this is a new Jersey redesign. I think our jerseys are dated. I love the logo and colors but just an updated design would go a long way. Also our third jersey is just ugly. I'd like to see them bring in a black armor 3rd with the yeti foot print as the main logo and put the A's on the shoulders. I just think that would be so legit.

3. This would also mean bring the yeti back. I hate that dog Bernie I think and I know I am not into nostalgia but the yeti is an awesome beast and I think we need our players to become little beasts on the ice. Now thats a great mascot.

4- do what we can for Parise. I love Suter but I am a firm believer in Parise being better for us over Suter. I would freak out if we could get him. Also bringing in someone like a boedker or someone like that instead of Jones would be amazing.

Well these are a few things I'd love to see change.

5. Forgot one. I live in California but I hear that ticket prices are ridiculous in Colorado. I think the prices should be lowered if that is the case. We need some sellouts and there is nothing better than a packed house...

What do you guys think?
1. The "Sakic Under Glass" thing is hideous and creepy, and it needs to go. I can only imagine how mortified Joe was when he found out what the team was doing. I agree, honor the past, but don't live in it.

2. Hate the current jerseys, HATE them. Go back to the previous design, I don't care if this stupid EDGE design doesn't support them, find a way.

3. Honestly don't care about the mascot. It's for the kids, not us.

4. Either is fine by me, though I doubt the Avs will get anyone of that caliber without a cap-circumventing megadeal, and I don't want the Avs to do that.

5. Could not agree more...unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote