HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent)

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
So basically the only negative I see right now is on defense where we are really missing Josi. Other than that, we are a mid seed team which is exactly what we are! We aren't an elite team like Vancouver or the very much improved St. Louis and I think a completely healthy Detroit is probably slightly better than we are. Where does that put us? Number 4. Where should we end up in the standings? Number 4. Am I concerned we aren't going to get a good first round matchup? You bet, but we are just as good as chicago and a banged up detroit team so I will take my chances.

Just so I am clear, the only three things that aren't making us elite are

1. Pekka playing like a human
2. Weber and Suter looking tired/uncaring
3. At big moments falling apart.

Passed the second round, who knows. I would like to think we could beat detroit in the first round and defeat St. Louis in the second round. That would be my hope at least.

Really the only negativity besides Josi is how polarized our fanbase has been this year and how long time posters are now constantly at war with each other.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:05 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I would like to be able to discuss our mistakes without being pollyannaed to death or told that it was just a "bad game" I think there are some real issues with how this team is constructed and it's ability to close the deal in important games. If this bothers you, don't read it.
Disagreeing with your assessment of the magnitude of an issue doesn't mean others are pollyannas or think there is no room/need for improvement. Sometimes it is just a bad game. Sometimes the team plays a good game where the other team is simply better on that night. Somethings are trends .. some are issues ... some are blips which are greatly blown out of proportion.

Don't be surprised when others take a negative view of your negativity.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 03-29-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old
03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
VFL615*

I am proud to say that this fan base is finally not happy with just making the playoffs. I am with you guys and i expect and want more out of the Nashville Predators than just being happy they make the playoffs. Maybe because i spend the money it costs to go to a game i care and expect more but that is a fans right.

With that being said in no way does are only head coach and Poile need to be let go. We have without a doubt the best coach in hockey who is doing the best with what he has.
Poile needs to be given a chance after having a blank check. Now in 3 years if this team does not have the players that a cap team can provide and we are hitting a brick wall than maybe a new gm.

Teams even the so called "best" franchises take human lifetimes to get a cup.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:10 AM
token grinder

if every thread didn't turn into a negativity thread, I don't think there would be much issue.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
hoosierpred

Defensive zone negativity

With respect to our forecheck and neutral zone play defensively I have no problems, but there are certain aspects to our defense I don't like. Unlike other teams, we definitely play more man to man principles than almost any team in the league. This has some advantages in that teams have to prepare differently just for us. It allows a team to be more aggressive on the forecheck and it is an easier system to learn. Also, when played correctly, transition to offense can be quick and effective, but there are two areas where it hurts us. 1rst, we give up the blue line like it isn't even there. This allows teams just too much time for decision making when entering the zone, and teams typically only dump and chase against us when they need a change. Particularly when Weber is on the ice, we should be forcing dump and chase, and letting Weber severely punish the chaser. I would also like to see our defensemen have some liberty to be aggressive with the puck carrying forward at the blue line and hand off some defensive responsibilities to the back-checking forward occasionally, just to keep the other team guessing. 2nd, man to man defense puts a LOT of pressure on small defensemen on the cycle. Ellis, Klein and Cube just do not have enough bulk to deal effectively with heavy forwards in cycle mode down deep. The heavy forwards often use each other to pick and get time and space, but these small guys are fine in spacial coverage. Just a few times a game, when the the cycling forwards are trying to pick, i'd love to see our defensemen switch where the off defensemen or forward on the wall has an angle for a massive hit or at least gather enough momentum for a pin, which normally the small guys cannot pull off.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:59 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
if every thread didn't turn into a negativity thread, I don't think there would be much issue.

bing. bang. bam. hit it on the head.

If the preds don't dip the lexus inner circle seats in gold by next season....

Old
03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierpred View Post
With respect to our forecheck and neutral zone play defensively I have no problems, but there are certain aspects to our defense I don't like. Unlike other teams, we definitely play more man to man principles than almost any team in the league. This has some advantages in that teams have to prepare differently just for us. It allows a team to be more aggressive on the forecheck and it is an easier system to learn. Also, when played correctly, transition to offense can be quick and effective, but there are two areas where it hurts us. 1rst, we give up the blue line like it isn't even there. This allows teams just too much time for decision making when entering the zone, and teams typically only dump and chase against us when they need a change. Particularly when Weber is on the ice, we should be forcing dump and chase, and letting Weber severely punish the chaser. I would also like to see our defensemen have some liberty to be aggressive with the puck carrying forward at the blue line and hand off some defensive responsibilities to the back-checking forward occasionally, just to keep the other team guessing. 2nd, man to man defense puts a LOT of pressure on small defensemen on the cycle. Ellis, Klein and Cube just do not have enough bulk to deal effectively with heavy forwards in cycle mode down deep. The heavy forwards often use each other to pick and get time and space, but these small guys are fine in spacial coverage. Just a few times a game, when the the cycling forwards are trying to pick, i'd love to see our defensemen switch where the off defensemen or forward on the wall has an angle for a massive hit or at least gather enough momentum for a pin, which normally the small guys cannot pull off.
I think we'll see Trotz really tighten up the defensive system down the stretch here, starting tomorrow night against Detroit.

Old
03-29-2012, 02:22 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
bing. bang. bam. hit it on the head.

If the preds don't dip the lexus inner circle seats in gold by next season....

I don't know why, but I laughed for a good 2 minutes at this. Well done.

Old
03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I would like to be able to discuss our mistakes without being pollyannaed to death or told that it was just a "bad game" I think there are some real issues with how this team is constructed and it's ability to close the deal in important games. If this bothers you, don't read it.
where is the "discussion" if there isnt disagreement?

if you dont want a response,(or only want a response if they agree with you) I dont see the point in posting at all....

Mods, do we need a "rant" thread where folks can blow off steam and the specific rules of that thread are that its basically a 'read only" thing ... in other words, where you post if you arent interested in what others think, just when you want to get something off your chest??

(being serious here, not flaming)

Old
03-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
where is the "discussion" if there isnt disagreement?

if you dont want a response,(or only want a response if they agree with you) I dont see the point in posting at all....

Mods, do we need a "rant" thread where folks can blow off steam and the specific rules of that thread are that its basically a 'read only" thing ... in other words, where you post if you arent interested in what others think, just when you want to get something off your chest??

Didn't we used to have an 'observations' thread?

Old
03-29-2012, 05:15 PM
NoNecksCurse

no guys its simple. this is the negativity thread.. if someone wants to say we suck, trotz fired, poile can't draft, ect .. this is the thread to do it. no reason for posters to come in with "facts" on why they are crazy/ignorant.. at least thats what I feel

Old
03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

Isn't that exactly what this thread is (or supposed to be)?

Old
03-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
no guys its simple. this is the negativity thread.. if someone wants to say we suck, trotz fired, poile can't draft, ect .. this is the thread to do it. no reason for posters to come in with "facts" on why they are crazy/ignorant.. at least thats what I feel
Since I started the thread I guess I'm a hypocrite for being positive in it. Oops.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

We can't start "read only" threads because they won't work. People are going to disagree, and when they do they are going to make it known. The only "read only" threads we start are threads informing posters of rules and such. The ones we title "please read" or whatever, post, and immediately lock.

Every thread on HF Boards is open for discussion. Period. If it's a "negativity thread" then the counterpoint, optimism, should be expected. If you don't like having folks disagree with you then you're in the wrong place.

With that said, we expect the disagreements in not only this thread, but every thread, to be more respectful than it has gotten at times. Being overly condescending can, and sometimes will, be treated as trolling. Regardless of your position, if you feel you cannot be civil then do yourself and us a favor. Just leave the thread.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:09 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
There is no need for anyone to call anyone else crazy or ignorant at all, and such comments should be reported. The opinion be damned, let's be respectful in our disagreements.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:36 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
There is no need for anyone to call anyone else crazy or ignorant at all, and such comments should be reported. The opinion be damned, let's be respectful in our disagreements.
TMI , earning your paycheck tonight agreed though.

also just want to get back on track and say ... suter you suck!!!

Old
03-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I hope Trotz moves Suter down a pair to get Sutes to take his head out of his arse.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I hope Trotz moves Suter down a pair to get Sutes to take his head out of his arse.
wishful thinking... I doubt we see any demotion because of his free agent status this july.. he does seem to be a diva. dont want to upset "the great suter".. I feel thats why we see toots in the lineup as much as well. maybe im looking into it too much.. but suter and tootoo's play have been bad and we need them back to their level they have shown they can perform at

Old
03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
wishful thinking... I doubt we see any demotion because of his free agent status this july.. he does seem to be a diva. dont want to upset "the great suter".. I feel thats why we see toots in the lineup as much as well. maybe im looking into it too much.. but suter and tootoo's play have been bad and we need them back to their level they have shown they can perform at
I know neither of them will be benched/demoted, I just wish they would. No way Trotz does that though.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I know neither of them will be benched/demoted, I just wish they would. No way Trotz does that though.
he should. sit suter for a game.. instead of worrying about wilson's "lack of detail".. suter's unmotivated play has hurt us more than wilson's play.. trotz and his ill-advised treatment of veterans and rookies

Old
03-29-2012, 10:30 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
he should. sit suter for a game.. instead of worrying about wilson's "lack of detail".. suter's unmotivated play has hurt us more than wilson's play.. trotz and his ill-advised treatment of veterans and rookies
Totally agree. And benching Wilson has not improved his play one bit. Sometimes, that tactic works sometimes it doesn't. But Trotz never adjusts.

Suter will not get demoted. Tootoo needs to be.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:55 PM
NoNecksCurse

wilson needs to be traded this summer while he has value... him and trotz can't co-exist imo

Old
03-30-2012, 12:08 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
wilson needs to be traded this summer while he has value... him and trotz can't co-exist imo
Disagree.(at least if you are implying that Trotz is the problem... don't worry, Im still negative, just about Wilson not trotz)

Wilson isn't a complete player and at this moment we have too much talent for a one dimensional player to be on the ice... especially if that one dimensional guy only has 15 goals.. if he had 30, fine, he can slack off on defense a bit...

Wilson is the problem not Trotz. Everybody loves him when he scores a few goals in a short span but over the course of the whole season he is just "meh" and certainly hasn't been consistently good.

He won't be traded, though, until Poile knows what Rads and the Kostitsyns are going to do

Old
03-30-2012, 12:28 AM
NoNecksCurse

im not blaming either. id guess I fault wilson a bit more because as a pro he has to adjust to the system but trotz has a history of putting young players in the doghouse for good reason or not.

as ive said before, sometimes players dont work with certain coaches.. no one's fault necessarily. I want to see wilson succeed here as well though

Old
03-30-2012, 12:39 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
im not blaming either. id guess I fault wilson a bit more because as a pro he has to adjust to the system but trotz has a history of putting young players in the doghouse for good reason or not.

as ive said before, sometimes players dont work with certain coaches.. no one's fault necessarily. I want to see wilson succeed here as well though
I still think its a numbers game.

right now Wilson is behind at least 6 wingers(erat,rads,sk,ak,horns,hali) on the depth chart, and his skill set isn't very suitable to a 4th line...

if any of those players leave this summer(or get injured, God forbid), then he will again have a spot...

Closed Thread