HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#77 | Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Islanders | Mar 29 | W 5-3

Old
03-29-2012, 08:51 PM
miscreant
Charles in Charge!

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=redbull;46954651]only if the players didn't know the games still count....the pressure would kill them.

KO and Bailey help one another...their games complement one another perfectly. Some of us have been whining for these two for 2-3 years.

On JT, I agree with you and I don't get it. JT seems to bounce off so many hits and is so self-aware out there but he takes so much punishment and abuse out there and the team acts like it's Jay Pandolfo. I've never seen a star player be left out to dry so much. It reminds me of Kasparaitis slapping Mario Lemieux around a few years back - fun times !

Love the way Bailey played tonight, forget the five points, but how great was the stick check on Malkin at the point on the SH goal. How nice was the block on Sullivan, then rubbing him out against the boards to create space for himself. This guy's got a lot of ability and untapped potential.

Maybe these are meaningless games that will cost a few spots in the draft, but if Bailey and Okposo get their confidence, those are two player that can help us FAR MORE than 1-2 spots in the draft, for the next teenage top model.[/QUOTE]

Also on the PP goal, the little move through the Penguin player before the pass to Okposo. He may not put anyone through the boards, but he's learned to consistently get a piece of players, makes a big difference.

miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:51 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Lol never go full retard! Mods, I am sorry if this breaks any rules.

I've been trying to figure out a way to post that scene from Topic Thunder for a while now.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:53 PM
CREW99AW

I know the isles didn't do their draft position any good tonight,but tonight's game was fun.

Hopefully,a confidence builder for Bailey and Nino.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:54 PM
End of Line
Human After All

You guys beat the piss out of us for 2 games.

Your team is better than what everybody thinks.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:58 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post

Suck it Mantis!

The team is finally getting some secondary scoring. 10 goals scored and Tavares went pointless in the two games. Weird.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:59 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Suck it Mantis!

The team is finally getting some secondary scoring. 10 goals scored and Tavares went pointless in the two games. Weird.
Hey now, just giving credit where credits due.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:00 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I've been trying to figure out a way to post that scene from Topic Thunder for a while now.
Yeah I'm not sure if Kevin meant that or not but a light bulb went off when I read his post.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Isles75

This team is so frustrating . As most of us predicted. Now that the games are meaningless, they are playing well and finding ways to win. Howie, Butch and Fischler keep talking about team character with their play down the stretch? Sorry guys, that character showed up a month too late. KO and Bailey have been great. It would be nice if they could do that for an entire season.

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:15 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
true
Quote:
false

just keeping score.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:23 PM
crashthenet

Bailey's pass to Staios should have yeilded him another point! He's playing with real confidence.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Isles Junkie

of course playing with no pressure is helping these guys. But let's not forget that it took this coach 70 games to figure out some decent combinations for the 2nd & 3rd line. He was forcing that Grabner Nielsen KO line just because they had success together last year. Ditto Bailey & Comeau (blake is 5-9-14 on the year incase you were wondering)

I don't think it would have meant much in the long run, but the 2nd line we have now, should have been put together about 15 games into the season.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Islanders1932

Have we been mathematically eliminated yet? Or are we still actually able to make the playoffs if Buffalo and Washington lose everyone of their games and the teams in front of us don't win as much?

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Isles Junkie

they're not eliminated yet, but they only have 1 point margin of error. don't even bother caring though, it's next to impossible for this club to make the playoffs.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Knish Of The Crease

I think the last few games just show how bad a coach Cappy is. The line changes being the obvious. Forget about the team playing loose. The 1st line is non existent and that's ok from time to time. The difference now is the 2nd line is actually doing something. Imagine if they were there the first 70 games. It's a perfect compliment to the 1st line that has produced 96% of the points this year.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
of course playing with no pressure is helping these guys. But let's not forget that it took this coach 70 games to figure out some decent combinations for the 2nd & 3rd line. He was forcing that Grabner Nielsen KO line just because they had success together last year. Ditto Bailey & Comeau (blake is 5-9-14 on the year incase you were wondering)

I don't think it would have meant much in the long run, but the 2nd line we have now, should have been put together about 15 games into the season.
Bailey and Okposo have always had good chemistry. Remember the Kid line? When Tavares came along the lines started to break up a little bit. Nielsen can simply play with anyone but Bailey and Okposo seem to love playing on the same line. Always have since I can remember.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:20 PM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Have we been mathematically eliminated yet? Or are we still actually able to make the playoffs if Buffalo and Washington lose everyone of their games and the teams in front of us don't win as much?
Two possibilities::

Both require Caps to lose out.

Scenario 1: Sabres lose out
Isles win out (shoot outs ok)

Scenario 2: Sabres get one pt via OT/SO loss.
Isles win out (regulation/OT wins only)

So yeah, highly unlikely

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Not gonna lie I was leaning more towards losing out for the draft pick. Not that I was rooting against this team(regardless of if the games count or not I could never root for this team to lose), I just wouldn't have been upset with a loss.

That said, I couldn't have been more wrong. Whatever these last two games mean, they were pretty damn fun to watch. That said, if we get nothing else out of winning these last few games we at least have found a little something here with Bailey and Okposo. These two could be huge factors to this team's success next year.

BTW, the more we win, the better a guy like Jacob Trouba starts looking. A nice consolation prize for winning out the season I'd say.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
Two possibilities::

Both require Caps to lose out.

Scenario 1: Sabres lose out
Isles win out (shoot outs ok)

Scenario 2: Sabres get one pt via OT/SO loss.
Isles win out (regulation/OT wins only)

So yeah, highly unlikely
"So you're telling me there's a chance"

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:19 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

i didn't get to watch the game tonight but I'm sure it has been fun the last little stretch...would always prefer to see us win than lose...i still think we will end up in the lottery at the end...

for everyone saying bailey has played great as of late--he has--but like i said i didn't watch the game....only saw the box score....he was plus 2--which means he was on the ice for ALL 3 penguins goals....just sayin'

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:26 PM
mpp9

Quite impressive. Shore up the D and you guys are a playoff team next year.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Satan'sIsland81

This post is meant to be tongue-in-cheek because obviously it is completely unrealistic...but you just know this would happen...if we won out and buffalo lost its next five games and Washington lost the next three, that the Rags would rest Lundqvist, etc. and lose the last game of the season to the Caps and we would miss the playoffs.

That is the only thing that annoys me about these past two games...helping them out. Especially when all I can remember is when we could have won the division in 01-02 and the Rags played their backup goalie and did not even put forth an effort against the Flyers in the last game of the season and instead of finishing second in the conference, we finished fifth and had to face Toronto in the first round.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:51 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Listening to the two Pen homers whine about losing to the lowly Islanders is a really wonderful thing. Then you see us falling out of contention of the better picks and it all becomes bitter sweet. I have zero confidence in this club's ability to pick a decent player in the 8-15 range.

I'd almost rather they trade the pick away, if we fall out of the top 6, to bring in that defenseman they need.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:26 AM
LAIslanderFan

I just spent another night watching the repeat of the Islanders and Pens. Josh Bailey is starting to look like the real deal. The 2 things that strike me about his play are his poise and the way he's not afraid to take the body. He's actually becoming a force, battling behind the net and very difficult to get the puck from.

This is due to one thing. Josh Bailey has grown into a man this year. This is not ment as sarcasm. When Bailey first started playing for the Islanders, he was 19 years old. He was really still a kid. It's been that way for a couple of years now. It looks to me, that he finally realizes he belongs in the NHL, and it's due to his maturity, physically and over the last few weeks, emotionally.

I see very good things for Bailey in the future.

I can't wait for next year.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:32 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
i didn't get to watch the game tonight but I'm sure it has been fun the last little stretch...would always prefer to see us win than lose...i still think we will end up in the lottery at the end...

for everyone saying bailey has played great as of late--he has--but like i said i didn't watch the game....only saw the box score....he was plus 2--which means he was on the ice for ALL 3 penguins goals....just sayin'
You're just saying that you didn't see the plays to know whether or not Bailey had much to do with those negatives?

Why bother "just saying" that?

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:19 AM
IslesNorway

it's frustrating to watch how this team seems to flourish when not having to polay under any kind of pressure! Much like last season, when they're completely out of any playoff discussion they suddenly start to play!!!! I wonder how much of that is down to Capuano??

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote