HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013 draft) II

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Wronskian

vCash: 500
I just can't handle how fast this guy is, I feel like the cameraman has tough time keeping up with him! Can't wait to see him in the WJC next year (I'm just assuming that he's going to make it).

Old
03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wronskian View Post
I just can't handle how fast this guy is, I feel like the cameraman has tough time keeping up with him! Can't wait to see him in the WJC next year (I'm just assuming that he's going to make it).
His chances are looking really good at this point, he should be there.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:48 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by haayward View Post
How does he use his size? Is he much of a physical player?
Not a power forward, but for a 16 year old offensive star playing in a league that's predominantly full of 17-20 year olds, he's very strong on the puck, decently physical, and generally pretty unafraid of contact. He's listed at 5'11", 180 lbs, and he's still just 16 (won't turn 17 for another 6 months too), he's solidly built for sure. I don't think he's a prospect where you'd ever question his physicality, compete level, etc., he's pretty "made for the NHL" in that regard.

I don't see him as a generational talent, he shouldn't be compared to someone like Crosby, but I still think he's going to be DAMN good.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:53 PM
MooseheadCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Not a power forward, but for a 16 year old offensive star playing in a league that's predominantly full of 17-20 year olds, he's very strong on the puck, decently physical, and generally pretty unafraid of contact. He's listed at 5'11", 180 lbs, and he's still just 16 (won't turn 17 for another 6 months too), he's solidly built for sure. I don't think he's a prospect where you'd ever question his physicality, compete level, etc., he's pretty "made for the NHL" in that regard.

I don't see him as a generational talent, he shouldn't be compared to someone like Crosby, but I still think he's going to be DAMN good.
Agreed, but comparable to Tavares, Seguin and Toews IMO.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

Would you think more along the lines of elite player or franchise player?

He is pretty much the definition of a gamebreaker, but is he the kind of guy that can be the face of a franchise, or is he simply an elite scorer-type talent?

Old
03-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post

He is pretty much the definition of a gamebreaker, but is he the kind of guy that can be the face of a franchise, or is he simply an elite scorer-type talent?
I'd say he can be both, something like what Stamkos will become in Tampa. Not the same playing style, but similar impact in marketability.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:18 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post

Extremely, extremely hard to predict with a 16 year old in his first year in the CHL. I'd feel a lot more comfortable trying to make a prediction like this at the end of next season, and even then, I'm just a casual CHL observer, not a truly hardcore fan and certainly not any sort of scout, I'm wrong about prospects more often than I'm right even at the end of their draft seasons.

With that being said, if I had to guess at the moment, I do think he's someone who could mature into a franchise player. I wouldn't really worry about his intangibles (he's not soft, he competes hard, I think he'll mature into a good 2-way, fairly physical player, not a 1-dimensional offensive type at all), if anything stops him from being a franchise player it would be the "elite scorer" part. His speed is unreal, and I like his hands and shot, but I wouldn't say he displays a crazy high hockey IQ. Not that he has a bad hockey IQ or anything like that, he sees the ice well and moves well off the puck too, but he's not one of these guys with insane vision like Crosby/Tavares/RNH, more just solid vision like a Nash/Hall/Toews.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:20 PM
RJQuack

I'd say he's both... He can be a guy you'd want to build around, and certainly has the marketability effect. There are many more butts in the seats this year mainly because of him.

I think he's more like Seguin, Tavares, or Stammer. Not Toews because he is way better defensively than most superstars in the NHL. Seguin is very strong, like MacKinnon will be... As he is certainly one of the strongest in the Q.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I think he is very comparable to Taylor Hall. I'm stuck on him being a center or a wing at the next level. I haven't seen smart decisions or hockey sense with or without the puck to date. His skill set is extraordinary.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:43 AM
NovaScotia Habsfan31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I think he is very comparable to Taylor Hall. I'm stuck on him being a center or a wing at the next level. I haven't seen smart decisions or hockey sense with or without the puck to date. His skill set is extraordinary.
Then you obviously

1) haven't watched Nathan play at all, or
2) have a bias against him.

Old
03-29-2012, 06:52 AM
MooseheadCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I'd say he's both... He can be a guy you'd want to build around, and certainly has the marketability effect. There are many more butts in the seats this year mainly because of him.

I think he's more like Seguin, Tavares, or Stammer. Not Toews because he is way better defensively than most superstars in the NHL. Seguin is very strong, like MacKinnon will be... As he is certainly one of the strongest in the Q.
misread this earlier, I agree with this.

Last edited by MooseheadCanadiens: 03-29-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old
03-29-2012, 08:05 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseheadCanadiens View Post
So you're saying that Toews isn't responsible defensively? Well I disagree, Toews is much stronger defensively then Stamkos and Seguin.
pronouns always refer to the last noun mentioned.

Not Toews because Toews is way better defensively than ...

so Toews is very good defensively.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:09 AM
MooseheadCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
pronouns always refer to the last noun mentioned.

Not Toews because Toews is way better defensively than ...

so Toews is very good defensively.
ya i eventually figured it out.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Going to be a sick pick.

I wonder if he can stay as fast after he grows.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:43 AM
markrander87

RE: Mackinnons physical play. From all of my viewings (season ticket holder) he has impressed me with how he uses his body to protect the puck and finishing checks (as others have said) He's not going to lay somebody out but he will finish the check and will not back down from a scrum.

I remember when he blocked a shot with his wrist, he was in obvious pain but played out the shift and actually tried to block another shot 15 seconds after, the kids a warrior. He ended up missing a couple games because of the injury.

He also will throw the odd first shot after the whistle too, just in the previous Moncton series he was having quite the battle with James Melindy who was Monctons top shut down D and a projected pick in this years NHL draft.

Last edited by markrander87: 03-29-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old
03-29-2012, 09:30 AM
RJQuack

Some of the times I remember him hitting harder than normal was against Quebec lol... Steps up his game and turns it up a notch in big games and against Grigo ... perfect!

I think you're a bit out to lunch on MacKinnon's hockey sense/smart plays Jason MacIsaac... Just MO

Also my point was Toews is maybe the best twoway forward in the game... Toews Defense > Nate's Defense...

Old
03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Some of the times I remember him hitting harder than normal was against Quebec lol... Steps up his game and turns it up a notch in big games and against Grigo ... perfect!

I think you're a bit out to lunch on MacKinnon's hockey sense/smart plays Jason MacIsaac... Just MO

Also my point was Toews is maybe the best twoway forward in the game... Toews Defense > Nate's Defense...
To his defense, Mackinnon does seem to try and do too much and turn the puck over sometimes. I'm not faulting Nathan again he is only 16 years old. Perhaps that is what he means regarding "smart plays"

Old
03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
umwoz

2013 tank chant?

"We ain't winnin' we want MacKinnon!"

Old
03-29-2012, 03:00 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

it's "quit winnin' 4 mackinnon"

don't mess with a good thing

Old
03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
it's "quit winnin' 4 mackinnon"

don't mess with a good thing
#stopwinninformackinnon

It'll start trending worldwide soon

Old
03-29-2012, 07:41 PM
speeds

I've always kind of wondered if we might ever see a top NA player head over to Europe for his pre-draft year. I'm not saying MacKinnon will do that, but for those that have seen him, especially those in Europe, if he took that kind of unprecedented step, how would he look in, say, the SEL next year?

Old
03-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
I've always kind of wondered if we might ever see a top NA player head over to Europe for his pre-draft year. I'm not saying MacKinnon will do that, but for those that have seen him, especially those in Europe, if he took that kind of unprecedented step, how would he look in, say, the SEL next year?
If he didn't want to go to a Francophone city why would he want to go to a Nord speaking country.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:16 AM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
I don't think that YOU think he'd actually do that, but there's less than a 0.000000001% chance that would happen lol. Hometown team with Mem Cup potential, no way

I don't know what he'd put up in SEL. Alot of players that I remember in recent years that play there in their 17yo season don't put up big numbers... Like you would see in the CHL. MPS, 29pts... Faksa, 15pts... Collberg, notta, no points, Forsberg (this year) doesn't have too many either.

Don't know much about that leahe and how fast it is tho...

Old
04-07-2012, 08:22 PM
daver

Two more goals tonight. 9 in 6 playoff games.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:10 AM
s04

He put Grigorenko in his little pocket last night. Very impressive.

Closed Thread