HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Sharks at Coyotes

Old
03-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Against the Coyotes? Or were we playing a different team with a different system?
I was under the impression that tonight's game was over.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
Umm.. no. The longer it persists the more it means something is broken (not necessarily the system), not that it's just bad luck. If we are as good as you think we are, we would have righted the ship by now.

Just a few posts back you mentioned high roster turnover in the off season and lack of chemistry. That's something that I've consistently said to you over the last few weeks, but you keep falling back on bad luck.

It seems you don't understand probability or hockey.
Im with you on too much turnover. No trust or chemistry which leads to horrible execution. Its a myriad of problems for the Sharks. Simply saying bad luck just isn't cutting it.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
Well, no suprise that you have no idea what your talking about, again.
Was he or was he not in the dog house on a fairly regular basis? I remember McLellan specifically addressing that several times after cutting his ice time and saying that it's up to Seto how much he plays and what kind of role he wants to play for the team.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Wait, what? You think Setoguchi wasn't an extremely streaky player?
I said that in my orrignal point, he was streaky offensively. But his failure to understand what I was talkign about was that when he wasn't scoring, he was contributing in other ways. Setoguchi and McGinn both had that ability and had those other facets to their games.

jwhitesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:31 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
For those that missed the love...

Credit

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post

Thanks man! I really wanted to see this!

Old
03-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
I said that in my orrignal point, he was streaky offensively. But his failure to understand what I was talkign about was that when he wasn't scoring, he was contributing in other ways. Setoguchi and McGinn both had that ability and had those other facets to their games.
McGinn did. Seto didn't.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
McGinn, I will give you that he was all effort but Seto wasn't. When he brought it, he was electric but it was never consistently. Wild fans have been saying the same thing.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Folks there is no coherent explanation for our results this year. This is why nothing makes sense right now. We really have just had such poor puck luck all year, that is why analysis doesn't make sense. It's the same team in our great wins as our heartbreaking losses. It's all about whether the puck bounces for us and it has bounced for us this season at a historically low rate.
This is just straight up ********.

This Sharks team ON PAPER AND SKILL is far better then PHX. There is zero excuses for TMac to not win these games. Either the players are bad, or the system and coaching is bad. Thats it.

To me, this team hasn't made the adjustments needed to play in these league. The Sharks are the only team in the NHL that doesn't stand up the blue line. They allow FREE entries into their zone. Thats my assessment on what the problem is.

Last edited by slocal: 03-30-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: don't flame.
RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage_goal View Post
To my eye, the problem is execution. Too many Sharks players not playing to their ability in 2012. Hockey fans tend to get wrapped up in this "they're not trying" stuff because hockey is all about hard work and effort and will, but that's not what I saw tonight. I saw a team that just couldn't execute against the defensive shell the Coyotes went into once they got that goal.

Expectations have been high for the Sharks for years now, but the Cup window the Sharks opened after the Thornton trade is creaking shut, and we're getting a taste of it now. This team just isn't that good anymore. Boyle is getting older (and becoming less effective). Marleau seems to be declining. Burns << Blake. When the team is on its game it can be a top-5 team in the conference, but it's on its game less and less.

I don't think this is an aberration. Wilson's gone all in each of the last couple years... he'll probably try once more 2012-13. But effectively, the Sharks needs to get into rebuild mode. Stanley Cup contention is off the table now.

I tend to agree with this. Thornton, Marleau and Boyle can't carry this team when the third and fourth lines give you nothing offensively. The depth is just not there and unless you get rid of Those three and magically retool, I don't see how it gets better as Thornton, Marleau and Boyle decline even further with age.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I was under the impression that tonight's game was over.
Lol, really?

Yes, The Sharks played a couple of really strong games recently. The teams they beat convincingly were not The Blues, Ducks, or Coyotes who share a similar style. (Ok, they beat the Coyotes recently.. barely.. when they were missing several key players)

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:34 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
McGinn did. Seto didn't.
This. McGinn put it all out on the ice every shift. When Setoguchi wasn't scoring, he wasn't doing anything. When he was scoring, he was quick and extremely physical.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:35 AM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
McGinn, I will give you that he was all effort but Seto wasn't. When he brought it, he was electric but it was never consistently. Wild fans have been saying the same thing.
HAVE YOU EVER BEEN HIT BY A CAR!? Have mercy!

Old
03-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'd like to see Marleau and Havlat back together as well, but even with a fast player, most of the time Marleau still stops up at the blue-line instead of driving the net. I wouldn't use Thornton's possession play as an excuse for Marleau's disappearance lately either. The last few games, he's been extremely weak on the puck. When he did get the puck along the boards, he's either been quick passing it to a guy with pressure, or just loses it to the defender.
I disagree with that and it's mostly because he hasn't played with a fast player since Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi in 2008-09. This year, Havlat's been hurt most of the year. Last year, Seto was hurt and buried on the depth liens most of the time. The year before, he was with Heatley and Thornton the whole time.

I agree that Marleau has not been that good at all this year on the whole of it but he also isn't getting much help from his teammates or his coaches. When he does suck, move him off the line and put someone else up there. He will either figure it out or he will find someone that he has some chemistry with.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:37 AM
matt trick

I have to admit the whole Remenda-Ratto thing had me laughing like a maniac, really cheered me up.

I really like the way McLellan takes accountability, and the way he handles the star players, but part of his whole pitch when coming to SJ was that you can teach offense. Throughout his time, the sharks have been fairly devoid of creativity. As much as I like him, having your primary goal scorer be Marleau probably has something to do with that, but this team is soooo meat and potatoes for a high-skill team.

I liked Boyle and Desjardin tonight. Demers, Vlasic, Havlat and Moore were solid. I wouldn't say anyone was bad, but there were an awful lot of quiet players. I wanted have thought 96 gets you in, but given it is pretty much all Pac teams who are playing each other, it is a distinct possibility.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:38 AM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:

Credit
The skin tone that was captured by this video makes it look like it was taken from 10 years ago.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:38 AM
lsx

Quote:

Credit
Oh man, that made my night, Drew was steaming

Ratto is right.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:39 AM
matt trick

Put Marleau and Havlat with Wingels, and Couture with Thornton.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:41 AM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
This is just straight up ********.

This Sharks team ON PAPER AND SKILL is far better then PHX. There is zero excuses for TMac to not win these games. Either the players are bad, or the system and coaching is bad. Thats it.

To me, this team hasn't made the adjustments needed to play in these league. The Sharks are the only team in the NHL that doesn't stand up the blue line. They allow FREE entries into their zone. Thats my assessment on what the problem is.
Yep.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:41 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I disagree with that and it's mostly because he hasn't played with a fast player since Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi in 2008-09. This year, Havlat's been hurt most of the year. Last year, Seto was hurt and buried on the depth liens most of the time. The year before, he was with Heatley and Thornton the whole time.

I agree that Marleau has not been that good at all this year on the whole of it but he also isn't getting much help from his teammates or his coaches. When he does suck, move him off the line and put someone else up there. He will either figure it out or he will find someone that he has some chemistry with.
Fair enough. Marleau just might not have chemistry with Thornton and Pavelski. I don't think that he needs a fast player to play well though. In the 09-10 season, didn't he play with Thornton and Heatley for the first half (where he got 30 goals extremely quickly)? Could it be a motivational problem? He played well to get a spot on the Olympic team and went cold in the 2nd half.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:42 AM
matt trick

Also, goalies who can effectively move the puck, give the sharks absolute fits.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Let's see....

Drew has worked in the NHL. Been "Way.......... Inside the Sharks" for years and knows hockey inside and out, but is wrong.

Fatto, who everyone here bashes every day and doesn't know **** about hockey, but he's right.

Why? Because you already have the same opinion of the loser, fat ass, blowhard reporter.

Do I have that right?

Old
03-30-2012, 12:45 AM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Let's see....

Drew has worked in the NHL. Been "Way.......... Inside the Sharks" for years and knows hockey inside and out, but is wrong.

Fatto, who everyone here bashes every day and doesn't know **** about hockey, but is right.

Why? Because you already have the same opinion of the loser, fat ass, blowhard reporter.

Do I have that right?
Ain't nuthin wrong with a lil confirmation bias

Old
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Also, goalies who can effectively move the puck, give the sharks absolute fits.
Usually combined with trapping teams that can force the Sharks to dump the puck from center ice.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Zappa you get after people and I appreciate it

I just like how the discussions get going

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote