HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CTV Interview Revisited

Old
03-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
CTV Interview Revisited

Again, this is not a PGT topic, it came before tonight's loss and shows how toxic the atmosphere is in Toronto against the Leafs right now. With the sarcasm and anger shown at the games, you can sense a real change in the attitude towards this franchise. The way even the generic media is turning on the team, it deserves its own discussion.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Nitrock

I know the team is playing bad and they probably deserve it, but these type of things don't help with trying to get players to sign here.

Nitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:55 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrock View Post
I know the team is playing bad and they probably deserve it, but these type of things don't help with trying to get players to sign here.
That could be true, but it's not the media's job to worry about attracting players to the city. He asked the tough questions that a lot of us have on our minds. Glad someone did. At least he's not sucking up to them like Hendrick.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

This is what we need in Toronto. Toronto isn't a media hotbed as people make it to be. Sure, there are 10x reporters than other cities, but Paul Hendrick or Jonas Siegel would ask the same questions and players answer the mugged up answers; and the rest just hold up a microphone.

I don't care if one of the good FA doesn't sign up (We don't get the good ones anyway), but when a player signs up to play for Leafs, he better realise that he will be held accountable, answerable and responsible for his on-ice play by the fans and the media. Enough of this L.A.C.K. bull*****. Future leafs need to realise fans want players to be accountable for their paycheck.

What also really pisses off are Schenn and Phaneuf's responses. If there isn't an apology in words, I don't ever see one coming in actions.

Tired of the:

"Another tough night in the office James?" Re: "Yea.. we were flat.. we didn't get the bounces..blah blah"

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:57 AM
pSoup

Wow that was a great piece

pSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Habitual Liar

Send a message via MSN to Habitual Liar
Like I said in the PGT.

Right questions. Wrong people.

Habitual Liar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Habitual Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
This is what we need in Toronto. Toronto isn't a media hotbed as people make it to be. Sure, there are 10x reporters than other cities, but Paul Hendrick or Jonas Siegel would ask the same questions and players answer the mugged up answers; and the rest just hold up a microphone.

I don't care if one of the good FA doesn't sign up (We don't get the good ones anyway), but when a player signs up to play for Leafs, he better realise that he will be held accountable, answerable and responsible for his on-ice play by the fans and the media. Enough of this L.A.C.K. ********. Future leafs need to realise fans want players to be accountable for their paycheck.

What also really pisses off are Schenn and Phaneuf's responses. If there isn't an apology in words, I don't ever see one coming in actions.

Tired of the:

"Another tough night in the office James?" Re: "Yea.. we were flat.. we didn't get the bounces..blah blah"
I didn't see any L.A.C.K. in that interview piece.

I did however see our exciting rookie Jake Gardiner getting grilled though.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
That could be true, but it's not the media's job to worry about attracting players to the city. He asked the tough questions that a lot of us have on our minds. Glad someone did. At least he's not sucking up to them like Hendrick.
Agreed.

Side note on Hendrick though; he is employed by them, which has a large influence on how he goes about his job. His job is to get quotes, not ask the difficult questions.

On the larger issue of the general media turning on the team - it must suck to be in that room right now, and it must suck being on the receiving end of these types of questions, like Schenn.

But you know what the great thing is about this city? Win games, and it all gets forgotten (rather hastily).

If this team becomes a winning one, the media will lay off of them, and so much negativity won't come their way.

There weren't too many difficult questions being asked at the from last season January 1st onwards, because most of the town was caught up with the revival this team was making.

Win, and you earn the patience. Lose, and you earn the ire. Consistently lose and show no effort, and you have what you have.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrock View Post
It's not about helping the team at all. I just find it kind of interesting that the anger we usually show on these obscure boards has somehow trickled into the mainstream. I've never seen anything like it, between this and the mock Jays chants. Seems like people in Toronto are finally fed up with this franchise. And not in a joking way anymore. The interviews were punishment kind of, you could hear the anger in his voice...

Old
03-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konami Code View Post
I didn't see any L.A.C.K. in that interview piece.

I did however see our exciting rookie Jake Gardiner getting grilled though.
The point was about players not performing for what they promised when they signed up. The contract is two way. When a contract is signed, its just not the organisation's responsibility to give the paycheck, but an employee's too, to earn it.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:01 AM
trickster

No no no no no.

Disgusting journalism.

This is Jerry Springer-esque.

I'm disgusted by that low life piece of crap... Totally unprofessional.

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Tak7

Quote:

I don't care if one of the good FA doesn't sign up (We don't get the good ones anyway), but when a player signs up to play for Leafs, he better realise that he will be held accountable, answerable and responsible for his on-ice play by the fans and the media. Enough of this L.A.C.K. bull*****. Future leafs need to realise fans want players to be accountable for their paycheck.

I think that's where we differ.

I don't want to see my players and management offering any lame ass apologies right now.

I want to see them determined, with their head down, fighting for each other to get out of this.

If nothing more, this should be something that galvanizes that room and draws everyone together.

Apologies are nothing more than an admission of defeat and I don't want that. Not until the season is over and the arena lights have been shut off.

Then they can do all the apologizing they want - and they better well be apologizing, especially to the season ticket holders. But right now isn't the time to apologize. I don't want to hear Schenn or Phaneuf issuing pathetic little "we are sorry guys!" quotes; I want to hear what Kessel is saying: "we are pissed off, and we need to fix this".

Old
03-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
No no no no no.

Disgusting journalism.

This is Jerry Springer-esque.

I'm disgusted by that low life piece of crap... Totally unprofessional.
Why should professionalism be extended to the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Old
03-30-2012, 01:04 AM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Agreed.

Side note on Hendrick though; he is employed by them, which has a large influence on how he goes about his job. His job is to get quotes, not ask the difficult questions.

On the larger issue of the general media turning on the team - it must suck to be in that room right now, and it must suck being on the receiving end of these types of questions, like Schenn.

But you know what the great thing is about this city? Win games, and it all gets forgotten (rather hastily).

If this team becomes a winning one, the media will lay off of them, and so much negativity won't come their way.

There weren't too many difficult questions being asked at the from last season January 1st onwards, because most of the town was caught up with the revival this team was making.

Win, and you earn the patience. Lose, and you earn the ire. Consistently lose and show no effort, and you have what you have.
Yep, if you don't do your job, you can't complain about the repercussions.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Habitual Liar

Quote:
The point was about players not performing for what they promised when they signed up. The contract is two way. When a contract is signed, its just not the organisation's responsibility to give the paycheck, but an employee's too, to earn it.
Fine, whatever, but they're grilling the wrong people.

These are the questions that should be asked of management.

Or the coaching staff.

Or maybe a few of our small collection of under-performing veterans.

And sure, the captain.

But like PresidentCamacho said on the main board, you don't start with the young cadets, and frankly some of the only players we may actually be hoping to retain long-term.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I wish some of the players would just tell the media to the shut the **** up. Asking questions like why do you suck? really? Do you want your players calling out the entire team that we suck because everyone here are terrible players?

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:07 AM
trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why should professionalism be extended to the Toronto Maple Leafs?
Why not?

Old
03-30-2012, 01:07 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
I wish some of the players would just tell the media to the shut the **** up. Asking questions like why do you suck? really? Do you want your players calling out the entire team that we suck because everyone here are terrible players?
I dont think we have any Tortorellas on our team

Old
03-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
Why not?
Their own professionalism leaves a lot to be desired.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:12 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I only felt bad for Gus and Gardiner in the interviews. I know Gus has been pretty bad but I still have a soft spot for the guy. He's had a very rough 3 years.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:12 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Clearly the era of Ron Wilson hasn't taught you anything about the media and what happens when you don't have them on your side, or at least on neutral territory.

This is unpleasant enough place to play as it is; never mind coming to work and being attacked by media types who you've pissed off on a daily basis

Old
03-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Edgeworth*

It was bound to happen. Look at how big social media is and how much Toronto loves hockey.

Then factor their abysmal play in.

It's like taking the Cleveland Browns and putting them in Dallas. People have had enough of the losing, they want to win. A lot of Leaf fans might start jumping off the bandwagon if the Jays, Raptors or maybe another Ontario hockey team starts winning.

It's hard to believe the Leafs have been in place to select in the top 10 in the last 4 years consecutively, and its about to be 5. They don't have much to show for it. A top 5 pick this year can go a long way but there needs to be a serious discussion about how what direction the team is going.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:20 AM
Thrillingbroom

Why are people calling out Schenn? Remember the giveaway in the Florida game? He came out for the intermission interview and took full responsibility, I can see how he was taken aback by the question and didn't know how to respond...

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:24 AM
trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Their own professionalism leaves a lot to be desired.
I don't equate winning or losing with being professional...

Should journalists be able to treat people differently depending on whether the people are wealthy or good looking? How about teachers? Police? Judges?

The players and the reporters are all professionals... When they fail to act professionally they diminish their positions...

This was a disgusting display... An attack on players who are no doubt asking themselves why they would want to play in this city...

Old
03-30-2012, 01:24 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post
Why are people calling out Schenn? Remember the giveaway in the Florida game? He came out for the intermission interview and took full responsibility, I can see how he was taken aback by the question and didn't know how to respond...
I think he handled it fine. Not easy questions to ask especially when the reporter won't back off no matter what you say.