HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII

Old
03-28-2012, 08:02 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Who cares,

The Kings 2006 draft was awful, Missed out on Forwards like Lucic,Marchand,Foligno,Berglund,Giroux,Clutterbuck ,Stewart. ETC.

Bud Holloway better turn into something, to at least salvage a little of that draft.

Blah.

Last edited by damacles1156: 03-28-2012 at 08:08 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Who cares,

The Kings 2006 draft was awful, Missed out on Forwards like Lucic,Marchand,Foligno,Berglund,Giroux,Clutterbuck ,Stewart. ETC.

Bud Holloway better turn into something, to at least salvage a little of that draft.

Blah.
It was a topic of discussion and worth noting since I think 2012 is a good enough year to evaluate how Lombardi's first draft developed. An evaluation of a draft class after four to five years paints a clearer picture on what were the hits and misses of that draft class.

They came away with two regular NHL players, both taken in the first round. After that they were all pretty much misses, and I don't think Bud Holloway turns into anything, at least not with the Kings. All in all, they didn't really land any player in particular who could be considered a core player.

In the case of Bernier, the Kings lucked out in having a better goalie emerge from within. Had Quick not supplanted him, Bernier would have been the starting goalie for the Kings after the failure of Jason LaBarbera. But as of this moment, it looks like Quick is going to be here for the foreseeable future and Bernier has turned out to become an attractive asset for teams in need of goaltending. What he yields in a trade could benefit the Kings more in the long run, but that has yet to be determined.

As for Lewis, the question that needs to be asked is if this is the best we've seen out of him. I'm not sure if there is more to his game than what we've already seen and that he isn't going to develop much further. I would like to see him get stronger in hanging onto the puck and fighting checks, but I don't see any special skill set from Lewis. He is what he is, a hard working, versatile grinder who can jump on loose pucks and play responsibly in all three zones. Nothing special, but a type of player teams require in their bottom six.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Lombardi made the trade for that pick under the condition that Trevor Lewis would be his pick. They had targeted him, however, I'm not sure if it was under Al Murray's suggestion, whether it was Lombardi's targeted player, or a combination of both. If you watch the video of the pick, it seemed evident as to who the Kings were going to select before it was officially announced.

What I thought I remember reading was that Trevor Lewis was this "sleeper" pick who had risen high on many scouts' lists and that he was someone Philadelphia had heavily scouted, among other organizations. We also know very well how much this organization loves drafting prospects from the US Development program, going back to the Taylor/Murray regime and currently with Lombardi.

I wish the Kings had taken a chance at a high end player as it seemed obvious then that Lewis was a late bloomer who had probably reached the peak of his development curve at the level he was playing at. He didn't advance his game much further after the Kings moved him out of Michigan and to the OHL.

Here's video of the pick for those who want to watch (it includes an interview with Lombardi concerning his picks). It's worth noting that the Kings nearly traded for Roberto Luongo at the draft. I wonder what assets were being offered to Florida...

The reported offer was
Frolov (still was seen as a #1 LW), Garon, and D. Brown.

At the time I thought our offer blew the Nucks offer of bert out of the park, and I was pissed Florida didn't trade with us.
Now I feel that our offer was definately the better offer, but I am happy we did not trade Dustin Brown.

Perro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:28 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Dean stated that Flo wanted kopitar on the deal for Lou

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:39 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Ok fine. I'm not going to challenge you, I simply don't know. Still though two questions..

1. Why would Lombardi trade the second best player on the Kings for a draft pick he wasn't personally going to make? Was he that high on O'Sullivan, a player he surely saw tear up the AHL the year before?

2. Bernier seems to go against everything Murray previously stood for. The Kings had numerous chances during the Taylor/Murray years to draft goaltenders high and never did.
I think this is your answer. Dean was extremely high on O'Sullivan at the time and essentially viewed the trade as giving up Demitra for two first round picks.

I am not sure about the Bernier pick, but I think there is a high probability given how much the goaltending position is valued in the organization that the scouting department was directed to give Lombardi a report on the talent gap between Bernier and the goalie that would likely be available when the next Kings' pick occurred. Bernier was probably head and shoulders above that player in the scouts' minds and Lombardi likely said get the best goalie.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Lombardi made the trade for that pick under the condition that Trevor Lewis would be his pick. They had targeted him, however, I'm not sure if it was under Al Murray's suggestion, whether it was Lombardi's targeted player, or a combination of both. If you watch the video of the pick, it seemed evident as to who the Kings were going to select before it was officially announced.

What I thought I remember reading was that Trevor Lewis was this "sleeper" pick who had risen high on many scouts' lists and that he was someone Philadelphia had heavily scouted, among other organizations. We also know very well how much this organization loves drafting prospects from the US Development program, going back to the Taylor/Murray regime and currently with Lombardi.

I wish the Kings had taken a chance at a high end player as it seemed obvious then that Lewis was a late bloomer who had probably reached the peak of his development curve at the level he was playing at. He didn't advance his game much further after the Kings moved him out of Michigan and to the OHL.

Here's video of the pick for those who want to watch (it includes an interview with Lombardi concerning his picks). It's worth noting that the Kings nearly traded for Roberto Luongo at the draft. I wonder what assets were being offered to Florida...

Rumor was that Florida asked for Kopitar.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Rumor was that Florida asked for Kopitar.
I hear that too, but I heard what we offered was
Fro, Brown, and Garon
I think we offered (then and now) more than what Florida recieved in
Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld to the Florida Panthers for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round selection in 2006.
How much of a disasster would it have been had we traded kopitar for him

Old
03-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I hear that too, but I heard what we offered was
Fro, Brown, and Garon
I think we offered (then and now) more than what Florida recieved in
Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld to the Florida Panthers for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round selection in 2006.
How much of a disasster would it have been had we traded kopitar for him
The LA Times rumor at the time was that Frolov, Brown, and Garon were among the names being discussed in a potential Luongo trade. TSN subsequently cited the LA Times as having reported that the Kings potential deal would include all three players. I still remember that because I couldn't believe the awful reading comprehension and reporting TSN displayed.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

That would have been a horrific trade in my opinion. Good thing the Kings didn't give in to Florida's demands. It's another case of the best trade being the ones you don't make. The Kings are also fortunate as to how Quick (and to some degree Bernier) have developed.

Another rumor I recall reading somewhere stated that the Kings were attempting to package Demitra along with Garon and what could've been other assets to Florida for Luongo.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:19 AM
johnjm22

Does anyone think Iginla is becoming a more realistic possibility this off season?

I know their management has said all along that they're not going to rebuild, but it's becoming more and more apparent that their current group of players has run it's course. Seems like the fan base is on board for a rebuild too.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:21 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

I don't get the impression that Iginla is particularly eager to move, but if he did LA seems to be the most logical choice (Sutter, in need of LW)

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Do the Kings need another RW? I'm thinking they go hard after Parise. If they strike out, I could see them pursuing Ray Whitney to a two-year deal. And before any one illogically points to his age, go look at his numbers.

He's 12th overall in scoring with 73 points, he has 23 goals and is sixth in the league with 50 assists. And he's doing it on a team that isn't particularly loaded with talent and it is mainly because of Whitney's play that Vrbata has posted a career best 32 goals. If the Kings strike out on Parise, then Ray Whitney is their next best option.

I think he could really do wonders for Kopitar or Richards, whoever he ends up being paired with.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:14 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Do the Kings need another RW? I'm thinking they go hard after Parise. If they strike out, I could see them pursuing Ray Whitney to a two-year deal. And before any one illogically points to his age, go look at his numbers.

He's 12th overall in scoring with 73 points, he has 23 goals and is sixth in the league with 50 assists. And he's doing it on a team that isn't particularly loaded with talent and it is mainly because of Whitney's play that Vrbata has posted a career best 32 goals. If the Kings strike out on Parise, then Ray Whitney is their next best option.

I think he could really do wonders for Kopitar or Richards, whoever he ends up being paired with.
Whitney should be a King right now. Huge mistake not giving him the three year deal he wanted to waive his NTC from Carolina two years ago.

Anyone remember what the agreed on trade was for Whitney?

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Whitney should be a King right now. Huge mistake not giving him the three year deal he wanted to waive his NTC from Carolina two years ago.

Anyone remember what the agreed on trade was for Whitney?
I could be wrong but I think it was either two 2nd round picks or a 2nd and a B-level prospect. The trade seemed to be something that was close to being completed, but of course they couldn't come to terms on an extension. Like you said, big mistake by the Kings.

Found the article, the B-level prospect was Teubert, and he was offered with a 2nd for Whitney.
http://www.canescountry.com/2010/3/3...me-opportunity
http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=308689
Quote:
The Hurricanes and Los Angeles Kings progressed so far along on Whitney trade talks recently that sources tell TSN that Kings' general manager Dean Lombardi was given permission by Carolina GM Jim Rutherford to talk to Whitney's agent J.P. Barry about a contract extension.

And that apparently is where things went off the rails.

Sources say Whitney was looking for a three-year deal from the Kings in exchange to waive his NTC to go to Los Angeles. The Kings apparently balked. A one year deal might be workable for L.A. but three? No chance.

Suffice to say the Hurricanes were less than amused. It's believed the Kings were prepared to part with a draft pick (not a first-rounder but perhaps a second) and a prospect (the best guess is that it's one of Regina Pat defenceman Colten Teubert or Manchester Monarch Viacheslav Voinov), which is apparently the only solid offer the Canes have received so far for Whitney.
So what ends up happening is that the Kings fail to get Ray Whitney and offered up a similar package for Dustin Penner. Ugh.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 03-30-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old
03-30-2012, 02:49 AM
JT8888

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think it was either two 2nd round picks or a 2nd and a B-level prospect. The trade seemed to be something that was close to being completed, but of course they couldn't come to terms on an extension. Like you said, big mistake by the Kings.

Found the article, the B-level prospect was Teubert, and he was offered with a 2nd for Whitney.
http://www.canescountry.com/2010/3/3...me-opportunity
http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=308689

So what ends up happening is that the Kings fail to get Ray Whitney and offered up a similar package for Dustin Penner. Ugh.
Lets just be happy the package was teubert instead of voynov for penner

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:00 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Good ol' 20/20 hindsight

Old
03-30-2012, 03:06 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Does anyone think Iginla is becoming a more realistic possibility this off season?

I know their management has said all along that they're not going to rebuild, but it's becoming more and more apparent that their current group of players has run it's course. Seems like the fan base is on board for a rebuild too.
'

I'm pretty sure Calgary fans are on board with re-building...

Either that or a Vancouver-like riot where they burn their 'Flames' jerseys instead of cars.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:14 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Flames are idiots for not being sellers this year. Talk about stubborn.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Martyros

I remember Voynov being discussed for Whitney.

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:22 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Flames are idiots for not being sellers this year. Talk about stubborn.
Concur.

Although that game against The Kings may have been one of their worst, that team is a mere shell of what it once was 2 or 3 years ago.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
I remember Voynov being discussed for Whitney.
Actually it was reported that a 2nd round draft choice and Colton Teubert for Whitney was an agreed offer by both GMs and that the trade didn't go through only because Whitney didn't wanna waive his NTC without a 3 year extension. Apparently Lombardi offered a 1 year deal and Whitney balked on it.

Btw, Whitney is a UFA this offseason - so maybe there's still a chance he ends up in LA.

Minor Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Do the Kings need another RW?
At first glance, no. But assuming we won't get Parise, I can't see Dean NOT being interested if Iginla became available. AEG and Lombardi are thinking big. Just adding a 2nd tier UFA winger won't be enough IMO. I think they will also go after Nash again.

Brown-Kopitar-Iginla
Whitney/UFA-Richards-Carter
King-Loktionov-Williams
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

Cliche
Holloway
Westgarth
Richardson
Gagne (IR)

Old
03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
'

Either that or a Vancouver-like riot where they burn their 'Flames' jerseys instead of cars.
That video just reminds me of how much I love TK. Looked like he was only Flames player that even gave a ****.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
At first glance, no. But assuming we won't get Parise, I can't see Dean NOT being interested if Iginla became available. AEG and Lombardi are thinking big. Just adding a 2nd tier UFA winger won't be enough IMO. I think they will also go after Nash again.

Brown-Kopitar-Iginla
Whitney/UFA-Richards-Carter
King-Loktionov-Williams
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

Cliche
Holloway
Westgarth
Richardson
Gagne (IR)
Not sure if we have the assets needed to get him anymore though. Our cubboard is pretty bar as far as top teir prospects.
Schenn and Simmonds was rumoured to be the asking price last season. We don't have either now.
If the flames trade him they will want to rebuild and will likely get alot better offers elsewhere. Iginla will get to pick where he goes, but I have always thought the belwo trade would make sense for both teams.
To Pittsburgh:
Iginla
To Calgary:
Stall, 1st.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
'

Most flames fans are frustrated that the rebuild didn't start two years ago. For some reason the fames owners do not want to look like bad guys by askign players to move their no trades. THis changed a little with Feaster and Robyn Reiger.