HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates that don't break down, moisture resistent

Old
03-30-2012, 12:42 AM
johnnyvegas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninNYR View Post
I am using a ski boot drier now
I could be wrong but a dryer isn't the same as a dehumidifier. The dryer will only move air around and isn't necessarily enough to dry your skates (if they're so wet). A dehumidifier will remove moisture from the air.

I might have misunderstood this part but a closed container would add to the problem.

johnnyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:39 AM
ean

Get grafs.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:06 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Get grafs.
Contrary to what many people seem to believe, "get Grafs" is not the solution to every skate problem.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Contrary to what many people seem to believe, "get Grafs" is not the solution to every skate problem.
+1 You're not going to solve ANY moisture problems with Grafs

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
ean

Find another brand of skate on the market that will outlast Graf's.

Find another brand of skate on the market that accomodates as many foot types as Graf's.

There's a reason why these skates are mentioned in every thread and it's because they can't be beat in terms of durability and non customized fitment.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:27 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Find another brand of skate on the market that will outlast Graf's.

Find another brand of skate on the market that accomodates as many foot types as Graf's.

There's a reason why these skates are mentioned in every thread and it's because they can't be beat in terms of durability and non customized fitment.
Why do people think Grafs are the end all be all of skates? They are not. Graf's quality control is highly suspect and their skates really are no better than anyone else's.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:43 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Why do people think Grafs are the end all be all of skates? They are not. Graf's quality control is highly suspect and their skates really are no better than anyone else's.
I dunno, in today's market with RBK/CCM/Easton/Bauer... i'd say the old school Graf 700 series are the toughest (not their G35's, 500's or the new composite line)

and they accomodate alot of foots, and have one of the best footbeds in the industry...
their runners and holders are not everyone's favorite though

they're heavy though, and no they won't do anything about moisture

simply put for alot of people, either your feet sweat or they don't... people who have sweaty feet don't know that some people don't have sweaty feet and vice versa, but your doctor can tell you

use oder eaters powder between games, pull out the footbed/insole and put them over a register
they won't smell, and will be bone dry within a couple hours... keep the soaker on them if they aren't too wet, so they can dry too and won't scratch up your wall

as for socks? for me its a must, otherwise I'll chaufe up my foot and it turns into a wet sauna in there... but I just use tube socks, no need for performance socks for me

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:55 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
I dunno, in today's market with RBK/CCM/Easton/Bauer... i'd say the old school Graf 700 series are the toughest (not their G35's, 500's or the new composite line)

and they accomodate alot of foots, and have one of the best footbeds in the industry...
their runners and holders are not everyone's favorite though
I'm not saying Graf is a terrible company and nobody should buy their skates, but the idea that Graf is the pinnacle of hockey skate manufacturers is an idea that at the very least is antiquated.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Graf has it over most other manufacturers for having multiple fits in the same skate as well as longevity of boot stiffness (at the expense of weight).

But it is funny how recently it's been coming up...

Love my Grafs. They are bricks but lock the feet in, give me lots of ankle mobility, and are still as stiff and comfortable as they were two years ago.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Graf has it over most other manufacturers for having multiple fits in the same skate as well as longevity of boot stiffness (at the expense of weight).

But it is funny how recently it's been coming up...

Love my Grafs. They are bricks but lock the feet in, give me lots of ankle mobility, and are still as stiff and comfortable as they were two years ago.
see i had the exact opposite experience with my 709, i wore them out in 11 months and ever after about 2 or 3 the leather lost its stiffness. i also dont like the inside padding as i find it wears out quite quickly

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Maybe difference in the 7 versus G series. My G35's missing a bit of lining just around the top eyelet but otherwise springy like new and the boot's still stiff as new.

I also see lots of guys using their Grafs for 5, even 10 years at the shop I get mine sharpened. Two guys on my team have had Grafs for 5+ years.