HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

CTV Interview Revisited

Old
03-30-2012, 06:30 AM
bbgobie

vCash: 500
If you hate your job
How hard do you try
Asking someone why they suck?
That's not journalism , but there isn't much journalism these days

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:50 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

He basically insinuates that the players aren't trying. Below the belt.

Brown might know a little about quitters himself. Over a decade ago, he announced that he was leaving to take a new gig in Edmonton. There was a big farewell and on-air pleasantries. Within a year he had quit the Edmonton job and returned to his Toronto job.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:01 AM
deleteme
Leafs for cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
No no no no no.

Disgusting journalism.

This is Jerry Springer-esque.

I'm disgusted by that low life piece of crap... Totally unprofessional.
What's unprofessional is that piece of crap of a team not showing any hearts and guts when you're paying good money to see them. Money that YOU worked hard for. That is disgusting.

deleteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgobie View Post
If you hate your job
How hard do you try
It wasn't supposed to be good journalism, he was venting for a fanbase...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:08 AM
K19*

I wish more reporters had balls instead of asking the same old cookie-cutter questions.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:13 AM
LetzgoEggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecrow View Post
What's unprofessional is that piece of crap of a team not showing any hearts and guts when you're paying good money to see them. Money that YOU worked hard for. That is disgusting.
Bingo.

I think all the people in this thread worrying about the players hurt feelings or humiliation are a joke. I believe it's your placing these "idols" on a pedestal that's skewed your judgment.

LetzgoEggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:22 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Don't understand why players should apologize to fans who pay exuberant prices for tickets. Blame those who wh*re the ACC out in order to make a buck (scalpers).

Does anyone have any insight into how the industry works and why scum is allowed to purchase tickets for the sole purpose of making a profit? Jays home opener tix are marked at over 400% on the re-sale market. That **** should be cracked down upon

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Fabs

All he did was ask the questions we or at least most of us would like answered.

Fabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:23 AM
KuleminFan41

Its hilarious how behind Dion he says he's shouldn't be captain but to his face he says"i dont know" what a *****.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:27 AM
cps230

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Its hilarious how behind Dion he says he's shouldn't be captain but to his face he says"i dont know" what a *****.
i agree 100%, in the voiceover he says hes a decent player just shouldnt be captain, and then when he asks him the question face to face "i dont know thats why im asking you".

it was a decent segment though, like someone said though right questions, wrong people.

cps230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It wasn't supposed to be good journalism, he was venting for a fanbase...
No he wasn't!! He was capitalizing on the Leaf's recent collapse! You think CTV or anyone there gives a **** about the Leafs or the fanbase! They saw viewership ratings and jumped at the chance! This was predatory journalism and he preyed on alot of the younger players.

Venting for a fanbase...? He was prostituting himself for his newstation! It was ******** questions that didn;t even garner a response! What was the point? All we got was his questions and zero responses! The whole interview was pointless, it didn;t even result in any insights??? If your going to do a hardhitting peice, you shoudl at least get something out of it! The reporter failed msierably! I agree that these players give alot of fluff answers to questions but what better where these answers! Way to drag out a bunch of "no comments" *******! nice job!

I will agree with you that it wasn't good journalism though!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:31 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Now THAT would be unprofessional. We dont need another reporter who'll state his worthless opinion and say something like, "I don't think you're fit to Captain this team." I am glad he tried to hold Phaneuf accountable, see what the Captain thinks, but I feel bad for Schenn. Phaneuf failed miserably again during the interview. He's beginning to look more and more like a sieve to me

Last edited by GordieHoweHatTrick: 03-30-2012 at 07:36 AM.
GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:57 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

He asked tough questions to the loveable losers...what a jerk.

I loved it. I loved seeing them having no answer to his questions

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:59 AM
deleteme
Leafs for cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetzgoEggo View Post
Bingo.

I think all the people in this thread worrying about the players hurt feelings or humiliation are a joke. I believe it's your placing these "idols" on a pedestal that's skewed your judgment.
Good to see I'm not the only one with some sense in here

deleteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
I posted this in the PGT, but I'll repost it here:

I liked that tough questions were asked, but all this really shows you is that these guys aren't really capable of playing word games with the media (for better or worse).

They could have come up with some contrived reason for failure -- be it true or false -- but I'm wondering if those would have been edited in this interview, since it seemed deliberately geared to try and paint a picture of failure and a culture content with failure.

I thought the Gus question was a little heavy. Gardiner and Kessel were very frank with straight up "I don't know/there is no explanation"-style answers, Dion's answer was a bit weasely but I do think he was including himself in the "individuals" that aren't playing up to par, and I don't know if I would qualify Schenn's response as apathy so much as having no idea what to say, especially since we all know if he did apologize people would say "Sorry isn't good enough."

I mean, what are the answers you wanted to hear? "I'm sorry"? "We were mentally weak this year but with some changes to shore up weaknesses we should be a contender this year"? "I'm playing like **** and I don't know why"? "I can't score goals because my linemate is injured and I've got Tyler ****ing Bozak as a centre"? "We got burnt out playing run-and-gun, and our coach refused to change the systems, and now we're trying to learn systems with a new coach and we kind of suck at it right now so we have no offense/transition game"? "We just aren't very good"?

Good questions, but I'd have liked to have heard from some different people, as mentioned. Guys who haven't been living up to par for most of the season, instead of guys who were good before the collapse (and, ostensibly, whose drop-off may be the reason for the collapse). Seems like he picked people he identified as potentially vulnerable (did he pick a single player who we've seen show microphone personality?) to try and get a headline or dumb quote.

-- The player targeting kind of annoyed me, too. Aside from Phaneuf, who isn't a great microphone personality but is an older guy, he picks on Gus with a brutal question, and then targets Kessel, Schenn, and Gardiner? I mean, maybe they were the only ones willing (or the only ones who gave answers he could work into his narrative), but... I'm surprised he didn't ask Connolly, or Armstrong, or Komisarek, or Liles, or Brown, or Steckel, or...

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:16 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecrow View Post
If you don't like the product, don't pay to see it. Take YOUR hard earned money and spend it on something else.

MajorityRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:17 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I thought every question was rather fair to be honest.

03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Stringer Bell

I don't understand how you guys are actually defending the players here. Those questions should have been asked weeks ago, maybe years ago. This is one of the reasons they get paid the big dollars.

Welcome to the real world!

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

The reporter had the right ideas in mind. His questions were a bit ill-worded and accusatory. He knew that the answers he wanted to hear, wouldn't be said by these guys. Those types of situations are very bland with generic answers. Heart is in the right place though.

03-30-2012, 08:39 AM
EazyB97

Unprofessional interview that doesn't do anything other than stir the pot. Not surprising to see a few people here really enjoy it, but really he asked questions that can't be answered and got a lot of "no comments" or "I can't explain it" as a result. Nice venting session I guess.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Deebo

Some of you care way too much about what players and management say for public consumption.

Last edited by Deebo: 03-30-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSoup View Post
Wow that was a great piece
You think?

I'd like to stick a camera in that dirtbag's children's faces and ask them how they feel about their dad being a hatchet job hack who couldn't recognize journalism if it bit him in the butt.

Then when they said "I don't understand" I would berate them for not having an answer for the few hundred viewers who actually watch him.

that was a piece alright. A piece of garbage.

No wonder pro athletes hate media wannabees.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Stringer Bell

Dion, as captain, should have answered that question by taking some personal responsibility for the downturn of the team. He should have stated that HE had to be better. A captain steers the ship.

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgobie View Post
If you hate your job
How hard do you try
They are getting paid millions of dollars to do something that a lot of people in this city care about. If they hate their job, then that's a problem....

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

The only reason why I think all the questions he asked were justified is because in these 5 wins the past 24 games, the majority of the players just haven't shown up. And why doesn't Luke Schenn deserve to be questioned? The guy practically got a contract extension after holding out in training camp. If anything I should have seen an improved Schenn this year but iwe all saw a regressed Schenn.

If this team would have at least shown up in those 24 losses there wouldn't have been such a stir. But they didn't.

This is a result of faulty expectations by Brian Burke who said this team is running at the moment and the next step is sprinting. This team, in reality, hadn't even started walking yet. We all expected playoffs this season. I went to 3 games and spent a boat load and we lost all 3. It gets frustrating and the most frustrating part is that there seems to be no accountability. Instead Burke is making excuses for these players.

We care more than other fan bases. They are what they are because we make them relevant. We deserve an honest effort night after night and we don't get it. The questions he asked weren't unprofessional. Just because no one has the guts to question someone's leadership doesn't mean its not a fair question.

Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote