Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012/2013 Providence Bruins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Bri

vCash: 500
I went to the game today and decided to focus on Zach Trotman. I had noticed him at rookie camp and liked him there. So, here's my non-professional report:

Overall: I thought he was solid. He didn't get a ton of playing time, but when he did, he looked poised and seems to have the tendency to make the smart, simple play.

Minor Details: He didn't get his first shift (unless I missed it) until 8 minutes in. There were PPs and PKs on both sides so I figured maybe he wasn't going to see any special team's time, but that proved to be wrong later as he got decent PP time, including the 4-3 PP in overtime.

Some good things I noticed: he gets the puck to the net, seems to know when to pinch and when not to. Made some good, solid (and safe) passes in transition. He doesn't seem to get rattled either. In OT he fumbled with the puck a bit but recovered quickly. In the first period he lost his footing in his own zone and under some pressure, managed to stay with the puck and clear it.

Overall, nothing spectacular but that's okay in my mind. Solid effort...looking forward to seeing how his career develops. Definitely rooting for the kid!

Last edited by Bri: 03-25-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old
03-25-2012, 08:24 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I went to the game today and decided to focus on Zach Trotman. I had noticed him at rookie camp and liked him there. So, here's my non-professional report:

Overall: I thought he was solid. He didn't get a ton of playing time, but when he did, he looked poised and seems to have the tendency to make the smart, simple play.

Minor Details: He didn't get his first shift (unless I missed it) until 8 minutes in. There were PPs and PKs on both sides so I figured maybe he wasn't going to see any special team's time, but that proved to be wrong later as he got decent PP time, including the 4-3 PP in overtime.

Some good things I noticed: he gets the puck to the net, seems to know when to pinch and when not to. Made some good, solid (and safe) passes in transition. He doesn't seem to get rattled either. In OT he fumbled with the puck a bit but recovered quickly. In the first period he lost his footing in his own zone and under some pressure, managed to stay with the puck and clear.

Overall, nothing spectacular but that's okay in my mind. Solid effort...looking forward to seeing how his career develops. Definitely rooting for the kid!
Nice. Thanks for the observations. Hope to get the chance to watch him play next weekend ...

Sounds like an encouraging initial report on Trotman. Seems like he plays a simple, responsible game. Sometimes the best defensemen are the one's you don't notice.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Spoked P

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastBruinsFan View Post
I am thinking that it wouldn't hurt to try to gey Khudobin into a couple of NHL games prior to the playoffs in case he is needed at some point. Might not be great to have his first NHL game, a playoff game, as Turco is ineligible. I don't think all of our games are that critical right now after the win tonight (hopefully). Maybe they could move him up and down a couple of times to get him into games as most ot the PB's games are weekend.

Anyways, just my thought process as Thomas could use a rest from our vicious March schedule.

Good to see you call on Trotman with a goal tonight. I think the PB's really needed an boost and the two new arrivals seem to be helping.
Doby has a few NHL starts already when he played for the Wild before being traded last season for Jeff Penner. He shut out the Canucks actually!

Old
03-26-2012, 07:12 AM
roaddogg02316

Yesterdays game was pretty good. Ended in a 1-1 tie with solid goaltending on either end. Maybe they did well cause Colby Cohen wasn't dressed, but a few other regulars also didn't play.
It would appear Khudobin is going up as I was out there after the game and he had pulled his car up near the locker room, probably to load up in the morning and he walked home down the street since he lives closeby. But he was in a very good mood.

They also have let go Nick Tremblay because he has obligations at school I have heard reported. He did well in the game yesterday, only regulation goal.

I really want to say they got lucky with the win, Pogge let every chance in the SO get by him. 4 goals, so what does that prove to you? But a win is a win so I'll take it.

Old
03-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Spoked P

P-Bruins moved from 14th in the east to 10th over the weekend.

Here are the playoff standings
http://theahl.com/playoff-primer-s13201

Only the second time they have swept a 3 in 3 this season.
Have just 8 games remaining, and only 3 of those are home.
5 of the 8 games are against teams also in the playoff hunt looking for that last spot

Providence Bruins All-Star Game gear is now on sale
http://www.ahlstore.com/all-star-classic.html

Old
03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

God, if they only hadn't blown both those games at the end of February against BPort and Manchester and then goose egged a whole weekend at home the following week........they'd be in the driver's seat right now.

They only have a shot at the 6th 7th or 8th spot with 8 games left. Syracuse is two points up with a game in hand, and on a 6 game win streak and we don't play them so we can't steal points from them. I felt Manchester was our best chance to catch someone last month but they've dropped a bunch of games to them aside from the win Friday. Bridgeport is starting to slide, but with two games in hand and six points up they have a cushion.

Good news is they've got games against a fading Albany club and a Springfield team they generally do well against this weekend. The Whale are always a mixed bag, never know which team will show up.

If Khudobin goes up, this gets harder. All they can do is win and hope for some help elsewhere.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
BruinsHockey

Here is the shootout vs Portland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpYZk...ature=youtu.be

Old
03-28-2012, 12:20 AM
EvilElf63

I have a question. I don't know much about Providence, so I'll ask:

How big of a gap is there between Koby and Hutch? Must be pretty big, right?

Old
03-28-2012, 03:06 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElf63 View Post

Hutch has his moments, but by-in-large, he's "inconsistent" (to phrase it nicely).

Khudobin, in my opinion, could be a solid NHL backup at this point in his career if given a chance. Guy has saved the P-Bruin's bacon more times than I can count ... And has done so with one of the worst bluelines in front of him that I've ever watched.

I doubt Hutch ever makes the NHL as a regular ... I can see him being a career AHL'er or going overseas. Just doesn't have "it", so to speak.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
Hutch has his moments, but by-in-large, he's "inconsistent" (to phrase it nicely).

Khudobin, in my opinion, could be a solid NHL backup at this point in his career if given a chance. Guy has saved the P-Bruin's bacon more times than I can count ... And has done so with one of the worst bluelines in front of him that I've ever watched.

I doubt Hutch ever makes the NHL as a regular ... I can see him being a career AHL'er or going overseas. Just doesn't have "it", so to speak.
I saw Hutch the last two Sunday games and thought he was solid...even excellent two weeks ago (#1 star.) The biggest "What the?!?!?" centered around him playing the puck. Seemed like an adventure every time he time tried to do something with it.

I'm guessing you've gotten to see him a lot more than I have, is there more than inconsistency that concerns you? He's only 22, he might be able to overcome that. Again, I've not seem him a lot so I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:25 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Amazingly, Hutch's numbers are slightly better than Anton's.

Hutch is way better than he was last year, and I'd be okay if he had to be the starter next season. He still has a five hole problem, but the big part of his game is to just keep his body in front of the net and deflect the puck away. I don't see him making the NHL either, but it's early. He could be like Kevin Regan (who really wasn't bad when he was here, just injury prone).

Old
03-28-2012, 11:04 AM
bruin10014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElf63 View Post

There is a HUGE gap between Koby and Hutch. As a season ticket holder who goes to most games I get very scared anytime they start Hutch because you know he is good for at least one what the hell softy goals a game. I have seen someone score on him from their own blue-line last year. Even Sundays goal against would not beat any regular goalie as often as it beats Hutch.

Koby to me looks ready for a shot in the NHL and I would not be worried if anything happened to either Thomas or Rask and he had to come in to be a full-time back up or even split starts.

I know people will argue that Hutch has better numbers but people also have to take into consideration that Koby plays all the high end teams and his defense at the beginning of the year was like high school kids playing against NHL players they were that bad. Also Koby plays all the high end scoring teams. Kind of like if you had Thomas playing all the Washington, Pittsburg, Rangers, Flyers teams and have Turco play Columbus and Edmonton if Turco has better numbers does that mean he has done more or is the bette goalie. Koby was leading the AHL in shots faced by a wide margin when he got hurt and he is not currently 3 and had played 6 games less then the leader and is only 100 shots down and providences averages giving up 25 to 30 shots a game when Koby is in net.

If Boston moves Thomas or Rask or even Koby in the offseason (all three are under their control) I really hope they address the goaltender situation by either going to get a older goalie as protection if one of the Bruins goalies get hurt or bring in another younger goalie who has more potentional then Hutch. A season of Hutch as the starter from what he has shown so far is a waisted season. The players Providence has been signing lately(Tremblay and Florek have looked good) and with the people who could be coming in next year (knight and spooner for example) providence could have something special next year and it would be nice to have a few members of the team play on home ice for the all-star game.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Spoked P

I wouldn't say that Hutch gets the easier games. He usually gets the saturday away game, as part of the 3 games in 3 nights. Doby usually plays the Friday and Sunday games.

Hutch has been much better this year, and even better as the year has gone along. Like others have mentioned the defense in front the net this year has been horrid. I would be ok if he got a bulk of the starts next year.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:48 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked P View Post
I did not see the Saturday game, but was there for both Friday and Sunday. here are a few of my thoughts from the weekend.

1. Kampfer was horrible. way too many turnovers, in both the defensive and neutral zone. A few times he iced the puck, appearing winded, killing the chance for rushes.

2. Max Sauve was back and he looked real good. He was quick on the skates and even faced washed somebody from CT Whale. Good to see he hasn't lost that edge.

3. Hamill, while he didnt score he was a major reason why Camper scored the first goal. The puck was behind the net, he scrapped and dug it out along the boards and fed Camper in the slot for an easy goal.

Friday's game in Worcester is the biggest two points of the season. Both teams fighting for that 8th spot.
Ummmmmm .....

He plays for the Minnesota Wild

Old
03-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
How has the forgotten Staal looked like?

Old
03-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Mione134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Forgotten.

Old
03-29-2012, 02:13 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Forgotten.
Yup...

That kid has ZERO Stall-esque talent in him. If I were Papa Stall, I'd be directing some questions toward the mailman right about now

Old
03-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Mione134

Quote:
Yup...

That kid has ZERO Stall-esque talent in him. If I were Papa Stall, I'd be directing some questions toward the mailman right about now
Call Maury!

Old
03-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Spoked P

Quote:
Ummmmmm .....

He plays for the Minnesota Wild
That post was in late Feb. before the trade deadline when he was still here

Old
03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked P View Post
That post was in late Feb. before the trade deadline when he was still here
Joking, but on the topic, I can't believe he's scoring goals at the NHL level right now. In a more Kampfer-like fashion, he is a -8 since the trade. Ouch.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Spoked P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
like Mione134 said, "forgotten."

he has had little impact on the ice. He split shifts with Tremblay and was scratched on Sunday. He has typically been on a line with Hennessy and Tardif who both have been productive this year. To be fair though, he is on loan, and it must be an odd situation coming into a new team, this late in the season. He won't be given the same chance as other players. Nevermind he has 3 brothers in the NHL, who are all very good players.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Per Projo:

Bruins set their sights on Michigan captain Glendening

March 28, 2012 8:32 pm
By Mark Divver

The Boston Bruins already have signed three former Central Collegiate Hockey Association players in the past week, and now they are taking aim at a fourth: University of Michigan winger Luke Glendening.

Glendening, who turns 22 next month, was an assistant captain for the Wolverines as a sophomore and captain as a junior and senior. He was chosen as the CCHA's top defensive forward this season.

He would play in Providence for the rest of the year.

While not a high scorer, the 5-foot-11, 193-pound Glendening is known for his tremendous character and work ethic.

A free agent, he had a 10-11-21 scoring line in 41 games this season.

Glendening is from East Grand Rapids, Mich. Before enrolling at Michigan, he spent a post-graduate year at the Hotchkiss School in Connecticut, where he also played shortstop on the baseball team and running back on the football team.

In Providence, Glendening would join recent CCHA signees Justin Florek and Zach Trotman. A third, Torey Krug, is in Boston.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought they were at 49-50 contracts already? Chiarelli must be getting ready to cut bait with some of the RFA/UFA P-Bruins this summer ...

Old
03-29-2012, 12:29 PM
BruinFanSam

What was the name of the kid from union that the B's are after? any news on that?

He looked like a really good prospect, forget his name

Old
03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFanSam View Post
What was the name of the kid from union that the B's are after? any news on that?

Welsh?

Old
03-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFanSam View Post

Union is one of the Frozen Four teams. It doesn't play until next weekend. Strange, though, that there is a two week hiatus betwenn tournament games, owing to the focus on college basketball. I was impressed with Welsh in the quarter finals.

Closed Thread