HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#77: KINGS @ FLAMES, 3/28/12 - Thoughts & Tidbits ... WE WIN, WE ROCK AGAIN !!!

Old
03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Duc620

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisKing View Post
Watching the Flames play badly was like watching the Kings when they play bad. Its like they are mirror images. The Flames fumble, flub, misplay, and overskate the puck all over the ice and at especially the most critical times like when they are wide open!
And like what happened to the Kings against the Bruins, we're not giving enough credit to the opponents. The Kings stuck with their game plan and then executed it by outworking and outplaying the Flames. We dominated. We made them fumble, misplay and overskate the puck. We played and won with playoff hockey.

GKG!!!

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
... good result, but against a team that LA should beat 7 or 8 times out of 10. to me then it was LA doing what it should do against a team like CAL. the same is true of EDM and MIN. the Kings need to get away from always struggling against teams like these.
... just how empty is the half filled glass?

Old
03-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
... just how empty is the half filled glass?
its still half filled at this point. the team hasn't done enough to fill it, or taken enough steps backwards to empty it. they are in the same place they were last year at this time, fighting to get into the playoffs.

they still haven't developed the killer instinct and TCB attitude it takes to be a elite team, or a championship caliber team. in essence they are the LA Kings of the past 40+ years......mediocrity at its finest

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:05 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
its still half filled at this point. the team hasn't done enough to fill it, or taken enough steps backwards to empty it. they are in the same place they were last year at this time, fighting to get into the playoffs.

they still haven't developed the killer instinct and TCB attitude it takes to be a elite team, or a championship caliber team. in essence they are the LA Kings of the past 40+ years......mediocrity at its finest
7th in the West and a point out of 3rd, how pedestrian

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Bouwmeester had a good game for CAL also i thought. the guy was everywhere and logged huge minutes for the Flames.
Bouwmeester plays like I believe DL envisioned that Jack Johnson would play when he traded for him all those years ago. Jay's overpaid, but I would rather overpay him and have the player than...not overpay and not have him, were I Calgary.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Bouwmeester plays like I believe DL envisioned that Jack Johnson would play when he traded for him all those years ago. Jay's overpaid, but I would rather overpay him and have the player than...not overpay and not have him, were I Calgary.
Not sure about that. I think Bouwmeester was brought in (by Suttur) to provide offense from the back end. His game has changed and he is more relied on for defensive abilities now.
JJ was never really expected to be a shut down guy. I think he will continue to develope his defensive game but the two are at very different stages/levels in their career.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Duc620

Quote:
... in essence they are the LA Kings of the past 40+ years......mediocrity at its finest
This is where our opinions split regarding this team. You are comparing teams that were jammed together like kids trading baseball cards to a very young, very big and strong team of kids, who have been growing and developing together. They've done it all on their own - without any real tradition of confidence and strength behind them like a Detroit or Boston club.

They still play like a young team now and again but you can see and sense that they are starting to grow into their identity. The mistakes are reduced. the bad shifts and periods are reduced. The bad games are reduced. The panics are reduced. They are comfortable playing their game and structure.

They have an entirely different look and feel than the old Kings teams you still see on the ice and in the sweater. For some fans, nothing changes until they get into the finals....

I see a glass filling up.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
This is where our opinions split regarding this team. You are comparing teams that were jammed together like kids trading baseball cards to a very young, very big and strong team of kids, who have been growing and developing together. They've done it all on their own - without any real tradition of confidence and strength behind them like a Detroit or Boston club.

They still play like a young team now and again but you can see and sense that they are starting to grow into their identity. The mistakes are reduced. the bad shifts and periods are reduced. The bad games are reduced. The panics are reduced. They are comfortable playing their game and structure.

They have an entirely different look and feel than the old Kings teams you still see on the ice and in the sweater. For some fans, nothing changes until they get into the finals....

For evidence see the Kings' record over the last few seasons when they have the lead after two periods.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Perro

Quote:

I don't think there is any dennying that the kings franchise has been very mediocore in it's history. Not cups, only one cup finals, one Division championship, and missing out on the playoffs the majority of season despite over 50% of the teams getting in.
However as a fan of the kings, I cannot believe this is the same kings team as year's past. I have to believe we are moving in the right direction and that we will win a cup in my lifetime.
GKG

Old
03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
MsWoof

Toews says he's due back any time now so I think he'll be ready for the playoffs, if not before.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

A great improvement Quick has shown, which was evident last night, is in his rebound control. When you compare him to other starters in the league (and Quick of the past 2 years) who balloon rebound into the slot, this year Quick has mastered the ability to just kill the puck and not leave anything

I hope he keeps improving, since when you compare this season to the last 2, everything is better from his angles to his rebound control. He just needs to work on puck handling and hes everything you want

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:24 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Toews says he's due back any time now so I think he'll be ready for the playoffs, if not before.
Not so sure I want to play Chicago anymore.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:31 PM
yankeeking

Quote:

Like some here I have been here for parts of 5 decades and the mediocrity is undeniable, frustrating and apparently near an end, we are now the second youngest team in the NHL, have incredible depth in the center posistion,have great goaltending, and apparent depth in d-man that a nhl ready d-man like vv couldn't break in untill midseason, and have core stars locked into long term manageable contracts. The play on the ice has been frustrating for the most part but that comes with learning how to win, and there are few sports like hockey where you really have to learn to win together, baseball you sign two pitchers and a DH and you compete right away, basketball is a star dominated sport and if you have a few stars you can hide weak spots on your team in football and the others, but in hockey you are literally as good as your weakest components, 4th line or d pairing,because many times they are ion the ice with 'STARS' that can exploit them. The great oiler teams of the eighties were bounced from the playoffs a few time (see miracle on manchester) by inferior teams that were better teams that year, so watching our kids get beat some nights when we know they shouldn't is just a very frustrating part of this that makes that day in June comng soon when a drunken bunch of middle aged men and ladies flip over shopping carts(cars would hurt our backs) and dance in the streets all the more fun, and if you are wondering why I didn't include the younger crowd in this is because after all these years, incompetent regimes,fat lazy has beens(yea you JR) when we win I know we are goin g to have our own version of rioting, even if it is just sticking one of those plants in that horrible sax

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:52 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
yes the league is tougher and there aren't the patsy's out there like back in the 90s BUT..... i look at LA and see a collection of players that when you rate LA's top 10-12 players on papers should be better than other team's top 10-12 players. those teams being the CAL, EDM, MIN, ANH, etc. all the teams that LA should beat those 70-80% of the time.

yeah i know, "on paper" doesn't meant anything. the game is played on the ice, not paper. when you look at the talent LA has assembled so far there is no reason they should struggle against these teams. i look at the teams struggles this season and previous against these teams as a sign of weakness. good teams come prepared, don't take an 'inferior' team for granted, then go out and beat the crap out of them. they do this almost every night, so when it comes to late March they aren't sitting in 4 team race for the last three PO spots. you go out and take care of business.

that is the stage this team needs to get to next. that stage is the step it HAS to take to bring it into the upper echelon of the league. this is the stage every Kings crack addict level fan like myself are and have been waiting for this team to become. the fact they still haven't got to this level is why there is up/down frustration with this team.
Still don't agree. I mean look at Detroit and Columbus. Make up any excuse you want, Columbus still beat them, and did so with arguably the weakest goalie tandem to be iced by an NHL team is decades (York and Hunwick, the later of whom I'm not even sure if he had even been in an NHL arena until that day). Teams are better than they are, on paper and on the ice.

It was only four years ago we were in the same boat as the Columbus' and Oilers' of today. We as fans didn't give our guys the excuse of 'we suck' or 'this team should kill us' We felt if our team played hard, mistake free hockey and got good goaltending, we could win. The same applies to the weak teams today as well.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
A great improvement Quick has shown, which was evident last night, is in his rebound control. When you compare him to other starters in the league (and Quick of the past 2 years) who balloon rebound into the slot, this year Quick has mastered the ability to just kill the puck and not leave anything

I hope he keeps improving, since when you compare this season to the last 2, everything is better from his angles to his rebound control. He just needs to work on puck handling and hes everything you want
I agree with everything you said, but can you remember what Quick's puckhandling was like before this year? Every time he left the net it was an adventure...he's far from elite, but he has cleaned that up immensely!

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:58 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Toews back makes it harder to match with them in the playoffs for sure, but you have to remember they still have their crappy goaltending.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Definately changes things for their team. Chicago defnately has the weakest goaltending compared to Nashville and Vancouver.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Rod Buskas*

Quote:
one thing i am eagerly awaiting for when it comes to the end of the Kings season (whenever that may be), is the departure of Penner. i can't stand watching him out there any longer. at this point i would rather see Richie, Westie or a call up out there. Penner's lack of effort makes my blood boil every shift he is out there. as big as he is and with his stride he should be dominating battles, but he doesn't. the only battles he seems to win are the occasional corner scrum with a defender and he can get one arm out to push off the defender. it's a soft tactic to create space initially, but once the defender (or a second one) puts the body on Penner he is done.

Stoll yet another stupid penalty with the cross check. the guy is 3 feet from the boards and on his toes. you lay your stick into the small of his back, what do you think is going to happen? another guy that i won't miss next season.

*clap*

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:35 AM
cubsfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I agree with everything you said, but can you remember what Quick's puckhandling was like before this year? Every time he left the net it was an adventure...he's far from elite, but he has cleaned that up immensely!
probably stopped practicing shoot outs, and focused on puck moving (remember how unbeatable he was last season).

after all, which is more important in the playoffs?

cubsfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Whiskeypete

i want nothing to do with CHI with Toews back in the line-up. dude has Obi Wan jedi powers. "these aren't the goals you want to score Anze".... i mean seriously the guy has off and on single handedly carried CHI since the SC win in situations. last season if it wasn't for him the Hawks wouldn't have even made it to the playoffs.

Quick anytime he ventures away from the net i get nervous. he has improved this season without a doubt, but i get flashbacks of past blunders whenever he does. when Brodeur retires JQ needs to give him a ring and get some puckhandling tips from Marty. agree though that once Jonathan can reliably move the puck, then he is a complete package. imagine him with Brodeur or M Smith type of puck skills. imagine the extra angle of attack it would give LA for him to feed DD or VV up ice. :smile:

as for the other statements, opinions, arguments and the half empty-half full. well let's just say i am a long time and slightly jaded fan. one that won't easily be swayed until i see this team take a step to the point that they actually live up to expectations. 2011-12 pre-season favorite to win the Pacific and compete for the SC out of the west. instead they flounder all season, ranked last in scoring and now are fighting for a playoff spot. the day they can finish out with 100+pts and have a PO spot locked up early in March I will be happy. until then my glass is still at the half full-empty mark.

the team is drastically better then they were 3-5 years ago. i totally agree with everyone when it comes to this. at the same time they are struggling with performance metrics and simple effort, they should have overcome a year or two ago. there still needs to be fundamental changes in the culture of the club when it comes to expectations day-in and day-out. no longer should it be sufficient that "we will make the PO's and then see what happens". the shift needs to be made to "its Nov 13 or Jan 5 and we just kicked the **** out of ______". every day they come in and want to step on the throat of an opponent and not let them breath. do that and then great things will happen.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:04 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
2011-12 pre-season favorite to win the Pacific and compete for the SC out of the west. instead they flounder all season, ranked last in scoring and now are fighting for a playoff spot.
While I agree with what you are saying as a whole, the Kings still can win the Pacific and compete for a Stanley Cup.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote