HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CTV Interview Revisited

Old
03-30-2012, 08:55 AM
MrVisser

vCash: 500
For those who are basically saying that the players should be ridiculed in the media for this season's performance, that they should be questioned directly and that they "have no heart", "don't try" etc etc, let's try and keep things in perspective.

a) The NHL is the hardest league in the world to play in. The worst players in the league are among the best in the world. The players in the worst shape are in great shape. The players who appear to be lazy still work hard enough to play with the best in the league. If their performance dips below an entertaining NHL level, then they no longer play in the NHL.

b) The worst team in the NHL is still entertaining to watch play NHL hockey, regardless of what your definition of entertainment is. There are 30 teams in the NHL and someone has to be the worst, but regardless of where they are in the standings they are an entertainment business, and watching NHL hockey is entertaining -- as painful as it is to see them lose many games.

c) You don't pay $450 to go see your team win. That is why they don't offer refunds if the team loses. You pay $450 to watch the best players in the world compete, and that is what you get, even if the performance of the team is shut down by the opposing team. It's the point of the game.

This is why the players are not responsible for addressing the fans directly, and this is why this reporting is garbage. If you want to hear about why the Leafs lost 23 of their last 27 or whatever, it doesn't happen at a post-game interview.

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:59 AM
SarcazemKadri

Some serious cheap shots in the interviews but you know what, a lot of it had to be addressed. 5/24 simply isn't good enough for this fan base, especially when in many of those games we didn't even come close.

This team needs to be accountable, by media, fans, themselves, coaches everything. If all these losses were by a goal, or OT and wer showed heart it would be a different story but we did nothing of the sort

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
If you don't like the product, don't pay to see it. Take YOUR hard earned money and spend it on something else.
That's not how professional sports work....

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
These guys have lost 11 straight at home and people are complaining about the questions being asked to the players? Who else is going to take blame for this? These guys have stopped playing. They've thrown in the towel, if it's not obvious now, what's it going to take?

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Some of you care way too much about players and management say for public consumption.
I couldn't care less about any player or manager. They can all F%**% OFF...The only claim of unproffesionalism and embarrasment should be cast upon the Toronto Maple Leafs. How can they justify the money they charge for the product they offer. Its robbery and there are too many stupid people who pay for it. Its funny and sad at the same time. Oh well...thats an individuals perogative to pay their hard earned cash on this form of "entertainment"...Its like going to a Pauly Shore film festival.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post

This is why the players are not responsible for addressing the fans directly, and this is why this reporting is garbage. If you want to hear about why the Leafs lost 23 of their last 27 or whatever, it doesn't happen at a post-game interview.
Do you believe that the players have a responsibility to the fans?

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Pinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
No no no no no.

Disgusting journalism.

This is Jerry Springer-esque.

I'm disgusted by that low life piece of crap... Totally unprofessional.
He's asking tough questions to a team that has won 5 of it's last what...25 games?

Everyone at home is asking the same questions...these aren't children he's asking these questions too...these are MILLIONAIRES who get paid to play (except Gardiner...don't think he's raking in millions yet...)

If you think this is unprofessional by asking hard questions, I'm wondering what kind of questions he should be asking?

Having these guys squirm is the least they should be doing...too many softball questions...

If players get turned off and don't want to play in Toronto...then they were never right for the Leafs in the first place.

Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

This is the problem with this team. Everyone is pointing the finger else where. No one is taking any blame and is just saying I don't know what happened. Well, start playing. Honestly. Start giving a damn because it doesn't really seem like anyone in that locker room does.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Pinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
You think?

I'd like to stick a camera in that dirtbag's children's faces and ask them how they feel about their dad being a hatchet job hack who couldn't recognize journalism if it bit him in the butt.

Then when they said "I don't understand" I would berate them for not having an answer for the few hundred viewers who actually watch him.

that was a piece alright. A piece of garbage.

No wonder pro athletes hate media wannabees.
Wow, you couldn't be more off.

He's not asking children hard questions...he's asking PROFESSIONAL athletes! That's not even close to the same.

Also, Lance Brown is very well known and has been a Toronto Sports anchor for decades...not quite the wannabe you think he is.

You may not like the interviews...fine...but your comparisons are way off base. You don't want him asking hard questions to professional athletes who have thrown in the towel two months before the season is over, fine...but don't act like he is ambushing a bunch of 12 year olds...

Old
03-30-2012, 09:14 AM
SenorDingDong

the questions to Gustavasson were just low and too far.

I would of told the reporter to **** off.

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Pinchy

Quote:
b) The worst team in the NHL is still entertaining to watch play NHL hockey, regardless of what your definition of entertainment is. There are 30 teams in the NHL and someone has to be the worst, but regardless of where they are in the standings they are an entertainment business, and watching NHL hockey is entertaining -- as painful as it is to see them lose many games.
LOL wut!?

I bet there is quite a few Columbus fans that would disagree with you and I can guarantee that there are thousands of Leafs fans that disagree with you too.

If you have been entertained by watching Leaf games over the last two months, then you must enjoy pain and misery.

Watching a last place or losing hockey team is not what I would qualify as entertainment!!!

If only the rest of Leaf nation was as easily pacified as you are there wouldn't be this uproar!

Old
03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

I'll agree the question to Gus was a bit off. But the rest of them, they were some of the guys that should be taking some of the flack. These are suppose to be some of the leaders in the room and all they can say is I don't know. Not exactly the leadership we need right now.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

I actually relistened to it and found the questions to Phaneuf, Kessel and Carlyle to be somewhat fair.

The question to Gardiner was just stupid! Kids a rookie defenseman and your asking him to explain a whole NHL season's result??? Is he supposed to **** on his fellow teammates??

The questions to Gus and Schenn were inexcusable!! They just put me right off! They were aggresive and insulting and way out of bounds!! It was completely unprofessional to attack those two like that!

I don;t watch CTV news but how many Leaf reports do they have usually??? How many times does this guy go into a locker room liek that and be so direct?

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
LOL wut!?

I bet there is quite a few Columbus fans that would disagree with you and I can guarantee that there are thousands of Leafs fans that disagree with you too.

If you have been entertained by watching Leaf games over the last two months, then you must enjoy pain and misery.

Watching a last place or losing hockey team is not what I would qualify as entertainment!!!

If only the rest of Leaf nation was as easily pacified as you are there wouldn't be this uproar!
Quite a few Columbus fans and thousands of Leafs fans are wrong. It's NHL hockey and you won't see anything like it anywhere else.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Tonka
Diggles

Changes have to be made. It's too late to rebuild, time to sign the top free agents rather than average players.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Do you believe that the players have a responsibility to the fans?
Nope, the team has a responsibility to the fans.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
I wonder how Ron Wilson would have responded? He would have made his Berger beat downs look like a polite conversation.

I don't have much problem with the questions asked. The players know they are in hockey media Mecca and if they thought they were going to get out of this season without some hard questions they would be delusional.

The team leaders just gave up weeks ago. From the captain to the leading scorer, they just threw in he towel once it was clear they were turning into a trainwreck. Good captains would have had the room angry and at least showing some emotion in the games.

As fans we can find solace in a good pick this draft, but this month has shown they need someone to grab the team by what god has given them and drag them through slumps so here is no collapse.

The Gilmours, Wendel's, Roberts, are tough to find in today's NHL. They thrived here. Adversity was a challenge for them, not an excuse to give up.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Pinchy

Quote:
Quite a few Columbus fans and thousands of Leafs fans are wrong. It's NHL hockey and you won't see anything like it anywhere else.
I suppose there is an argument to be made that we can't see a 7-1 shellacking like last night anywhere else, but if you call that abortion of a hockey game entertaining well then this season must have been great for you...those Bruins games must have been like Christmas morning, eh?

Get real...watching your team get spanked for 2 straight months is not entertaining hockey...I don't care if it's the NHL or any other league...

Old
03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
I suppose there is an argument to be made that we can't see a 7-1 shellacking like last night anywhere else, but if you call that abortion of a hockey game entertaining well then this season must have been great for you...those Bruins games must have been like Christmas morning, eh?

Get real...watching your team get spanked for 2 straight months is not entertaining hockey...I don't care if it's the NHL or any other league...
Whether or not you find it entertaining, it doesn't make attacking the players the right thing to do. Attack the team.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Whether or not you find it entertaining, it doesn't make attacking the players the right thing to do. Attack the team.
The players are the team. There's no one else left.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
He asked tough questions to the loveable losers...what a jerk.

I loved it. I loved seeing them having no answer to his questions
Same here. I'm enjoying seeing the outrage on this board too, apologizing for these lifeless tools I also love how the team is so outraged that they came out after that locker room segment and got annihilated at home yet again Yeah, they care

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
The players are the team. There's no one else left.
The players have a responsibility to the team, the team has a responsibility to the fans. Therefore the team addresses the fans, not the players.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:35 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
The players have a responsibility to the team, the team has a responsibility to the fans. Therefore the team addresses the fans, not the players.
The players are the team. Not sure who else you expect to address the fans. Management has done enough, now it's time for these players to grab their balls and play like a team.

Old
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Leafs should ban all media from practices, players should not be allowed to give interviews, etc. Then we'll really see how fast they smarten up.

The media needs the Leafs, the Leafs don't need the media.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Where would this team and franchise be without the diehard fans? They'd be glorified men's league players, no audience at their games but playing for the love of the game. Certainly wouldn't be getting paid millions

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote