HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

CTV Interview Revisited

Old
03-30-2012, 09:38 AM
HockeyCrazed101

vCash: 500
I thought the players handled the situation well. Kudos to Gus especially. The way he approached Gus in that interview was deserving of a clock in the face. These are guys are professional athletes but when they step into a room full of media, it's fair that they expect to be surrounded with other professionals. There's nothing wrong with asking tough questions but I'm not going to condone any 'professional' that does his job like that.

I particularly didn't like most of the questions and who he asked them to. Why is Jake Gardiner being harassed for explanations when he's a rookie on the team? On the short list of what have been bright spots to this season, Gardiner sits at the very top. Why are you talking to Luke Schenn about ticket prices? Why would you try to ask any one individual player to shoulder all of the blame for what's happened? No one player is to blame. I haven't seen any player throw his teammate under the bus. I haven't seen any player point fingers at the staff. I've seen players who have said that everyone needs to be better, including themselves. What's wrong with that? Why are people redefining accountability to mean 'it's all my fault'?

And above all else, why would you ask players to explain how things went so wrong? It's an obvious question but a wasted one. If they understood it themselves don't you think they would've fixed it? It's very obvious that they don't know what happened and even more clear that right now they simply don't know what to do to make it better. If you want to try and understand what went wrong, you need to go ask the people who assessed and assembled the team.

HockeyCrazed101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Pinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post
The players have a responsibility to the team, the team has a responsibility to the fans. Therefore the team addresses the fans, not the players.
What?! I don't even understand what you're trying to say.

We're not supposed to ask tough questions to the players, only ask tough questions to the team?

Get over yourself...these Leafs are as bad as the team two years ago that finished with the 2nd worst record...only reason that we're not in last or second last is that we had a strong start to the season...it was clearly a mirage and even then there were obvious signs of trouble (worst PK, terrible in GA, etc...)

If these players...who for the most part have quite frankly, played like a bunch of AHL players, need to be shielded from the big bad Lance Brown, then they need to find a new career or a plane ticket out of Toronto right away.

What has happened to accountability in the world of professional sports? You and I are accountable in our jobs, so why aren't these athletes? I'm not expecting them to win the Stanley Cup, but I am expecting them to put 100% effort every single night. They haven't even come close to that and they're not being held accountable.

Fans are willing to give them a free pass time and time again...complaining that reporters are asking unfair questions...please...start playing with effort and you don't have to worry about criticism...

Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:41 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
The players are the team. Not sure who else you expect to address the fans. Management has done enough, now it's time for these players to grab their balls and play like a team.
Brian Burke will address them at the end of the season. Not sure why you think the players will have better answers than management.

You don't want to hear their answers, you want to make them suffer. And that is just sick.

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:41 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I thought the players handled the situation well. Kudos to Gus especially. The way he approached Gus in that interview was deserving of a clock in the face. These are guys are professional athletes but when they step into a room full of media, it's fair that they expect to be surrounded with other professionals. There's nothing wrong with asking tough questions but I'm not going to condone any 'professional' that does his job like that.

I particularly didn't like most of the questions and who he asked them to. Why is Jake Gardiner being harassed for explanations when he's a rookie on the team? On the short list of what have been bright spots to this season, Gardiner sits at the very top. Why are you talking to Luke Schenn about ticket prices? Why would you try to ask any one individual player to shoulder all of the blame for what's happened? No one player is to blame. I haven't seen any player throw his teammate under the bus. I haven't seen any player point fingers at the staff. I've seen players who have said that everyone needs to be better, including themselves. What's wrong with that? Why are people redefining accountability to mean 'it's all my fault'?

And above all else, why would you ask players to explain how things went so wrong? It's an obvious question but a wasted one. If they understood it themselves don't you think they would've fixed it? It's very obvious that they don't know what happened and even more clear that right now they simply don't know what to do to make it better. If you want to try and understand what went wrong, you need to go ask the people who assessed and assembled the team.
The problem is, no one is taking the blame. They are just saying we started losing basically because we aren't winning. There's a reason we are losing and it's cause this team just gave up. It's very obvious that some one needs to take the blame. Management shouldn't receive the blame when at the beginning of the year, this was a playoff team. There's only one place to point the blame when a team has a collapse like this and that's the players.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Pinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Leafs should ban all media from practices, players should not be allowed to give interviews, etc. Then we'll really see how fast they smarten up.

The media needs the Leafs, the Leafs don't need the media.

That's silly. Of course the Leafs need the media...if they just ban all media from the players, that will not stop articles from being written. The content will be even worse for the players and turn the entire city against them...

You can already hear how many fans are *****ing that Burke hasn't done an interview in weeks...imagine if every player was in the same position?

Old
03-30-2012, 09:44 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

Quote:
Brian Burke will address them at the end of the season. Not sure why you think the players will have better answers than management.

You don't want to hear their answers, you want to make them suffer. And that is just sick.
Suffer? How is making them accountable making them suffer? They need to realize the situation they are in and ****ing do something about it. They all just seem to be shrugging it off. No one seems upset, they all just seem down on themselves. They need to get angry and show some emotion not just be depressed. That's what this reporter is trying to get at, these guys are professional athletes and it looks like the bunch of them should get some prozak and go deal with a psychiatrist.

What is Burke going to say? At the beginning of the year, everything was good, we were in the playoffs, everyone was happy, then February came around and we fell apart. There's no one to blame but me? Honestly, he made the team, the team was doing well, then he doesn't make a move and the team falls apart at the seems. It's on the players not on Burke and I'm not sure how you don't see this.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Pinchy

Quote:

It's not suffering. This isn't torture. This is hard questions to a team of professionals who have thrown in the towel two months before the season is over.

It's accountability and there is a big difference between that and torture.

As I said before, we are all accountable in our own jobs and I can ensure you that if I screwed up in my job as bad as the Leafs are screwing up in theirs (effort, not results) I would be asked a lot tougher questions than what Lance Brown asked...

Old
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
It's not suffering. This isn't torture. This is hard questions to a team of professionals who have thrown in the towel two months before the season is over.

It's accountability and there is a big difference between that and torture.

As I said before, we are all accountable in our own jobs and I can ensure you that if I screwed up in my job as bad as the Leafs are screwing up in theirs (effort, not results) I would be asked a lot tougher questions than what Lance Brown asked...
Exactly. There needs to be blame placed here and you have to look no further then the players. They had it going at the beginning of the year, and they thought that would be good enough. Well it's not and now we are close to the bottom of the year. This is probably one of the worst collapses, I've ever seen.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Rinks View Post
You may feel this is over reacting, but here's the "open" letter I wrote to Lance Brown / CTV News. Of course you're entitled to your own opinion, but mine is that this crossed the line.
Well written, I have to respect your opinion, but thanks for giving me the motivation to email them a thank you note for asking the exact questions I wanted to see asked for so long. Off to find the details to email Lance.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
What?! I don't even understand what you're trying to say.

We're not supposed to ask tough questions to the players, only ask tough questions to the team?

Get over yourself...these Leafs are as bad as the team two years ago that finished with the 2nd worst record...only reason that we're not in last or second last is that we had a strong start to the season...it was clearly a mirage and even then there were obvious signs of trouble (worst PK, terrible in GA, etc...)

If these players...who for the most part have quite frankly, played like a bunch of AHL players, need to be shielded from the big bad Lance Brown, then they need to find a new career or a plane ticket out of Toronto right away.

What has happened to accountability in the world of professional sports? You and I are accountable in our jobs, so why aren't these athletes? I'm not expecting them to win the Stanley Cup, but I am expecting them to put 100% effort every single night. They haven't even come close to that and they're not being held accountable.

Fans are willing to give them a free pass time and time again...complaining that reporters are asking unfair questions...please...start playing with effort and you don't have to worry about criticism...
They don't need to be shielded, they handled it just right by not giving answers. We are accountable to our bosses, and the players are accountable to their team. Absolutely. You want to question someone, question the team, because it is a team game.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Jerkini

I have no problem with the questions. It was kind of a dick move, but losing in a town like this shouldn't be easy. I would happily answer questions like that all day long if it meant getting paid what these guys get paid to do the job they do.

I just think it's unfortunate how much vitriol is being spewed after this recent streak. We all knew this team was a long shot to go places. And they performed admirably for a large chunk of the season, but fell off the earth... which gave the critics just enough fuel to light them on fire and haze them to no ends. I think we need to be supportive, realize we are missing key cogs, and be glad we still have a first round draft pick. At the end of the day, that draft pick will do a lot more for our franchise than 4 post season losses in a row.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

Quote:
They don't need to be shielded, they handled it just right by not giving answers. We are accountable to our bosses, and the players are accountable to their team. Absolutely. You want to question someone, question the team, because it is a team game.
I'm not sure you get it. The players are the team. They are the reason for the collapse. They need to answer the questions. It's not just one player, it's all of them.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Aaaaaaaand there goes the Free Agency!

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
I'm not sure you get it. The players are the team. They are the reason for the collapse. They need to answer the questions. It's not just one player, it's all of them.
They answer it as a team. Sure enough one person will deliver the message (i.e., coach, manager etc...), but the answer comes from the team.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:51 AM
TRP

There is no place for hack journalism like this that panders to the casual fan. Reminds me a lot like politics, over simplification in order to get the most amount of attention from the simpletons that don't truly understand the dynamics involved.

Targeting specific players and demanding an answer? Deplorable.

TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:53 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

Quote:
They answer it as a team. Sure enough one person will deliver the message (i.e., coach, manager etc...), but the answer comes from the team.
They've answered it alright, the past 11 home games have been the answer.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:54 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
They've answered it alright, the past 11 home games have been the answer.
So there you go, the team gave you your answer. No need to attack the individual players in the media. It's despicable.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

Quote:
So there you go, the team gave you your answer. No need to attack the individual players in the media. It's despicable.
It's not individual players. It's the players who should have something to say about it. Phaneuf who is the captain of this despicable team is the one who needs to answer the question. He needs to be a guy who the team can lean on in something like this but he can't even answer a reporters question.. What about Franson's questions?

You need to stop being so protective of these players and let them receive some of the blame. Their play the last 2 months has been nothing short of despicable. In Toronto, when the team plays like this, expect nothing less. I know I wouldn't.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Morlu

We won't attract Free Agents because the team is bad.... Players want to win they won't sign with a loser. I'm glad they got grilled the fan base has NEVER been this frustrated since I've been watching Hockey.

This is rough times for fans why should anyone take pity on the players being paid Millions to win?

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
That's silly. Of course the Leafs need the media...if they just ban all media from the players, that will not stop articles from being written. The content will be even worse for the players and turn the entire city against them...

You can already hear how many fans are *****ing that Burke hasn't done an interview in weeks...imagine if every player was in the same position?
Nope, Leafs don't need the media at all. You see how all the reporters flock to get a quick sentence from our players to stick in their headlines? The reason for this is because the media are nothing without access to the Leafs because the Leafs are their bread and butter.

I'm sure we'll still see baseless articles written by the likes of Cox, Simmons and Feschuk but they were always worthless to begin with.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why should professionalism be extended to the Toronto Maple Leafs?
Why wouldn't it? This is another example of the media abusing its privileges. These guys are beaten down. Barking at them in authoritative tones like a parent chastising a child is not journalism. The reporter's job is to remain neutral, and detach his own personal feelings. He went in there to upset the apple cart, and get some personal fulfillment. Crap journalism, but thats all this team is going to attract. Sad...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:03 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
It's not individual players. It's the players who should have something to say about it. Phaneuf who is the captain of this despicable team is the one who needs to answer the question. He needs to be a guy who the team can lean on in something like this but he can't even answer a reporters question.. What about Franson's questions?

You need to stop being so protective of these players and let them receive some of the blame. Their play the last 2 months has been nothing short of despicable. In Toronto, when the team plays like this, expect nothing less. I know I wouldn't.
I'm not being protective, and absolutely they should receive blame. But that certainly doesn't involve putting them on the spot to answer team matters, and certainly not to give a direct message to the fans.

The team has said many times that the players need to play better. The team has given the answer. But to go to a player and try and put them on the spot to address the fans? That is not acceptable, and the players handled it perfectly.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
I love how people keep defending the asking of "hard questions". These questions are "hard" because there's no readily available answer! There is no explanation. They were designed to accuse, trip up, and humiliate the players. How is that beneficial to anyone? It may satisfy your frustrations (as if any of you would ask these players these sorts of questions on the street), but it only serves to further demoralize the players.

He's asking a question nobody has an answer to. Don't you think if they had the freakin' answer that they'd be making progress in rectifying this mess?

Hack journalism, indeed. All designed to get an angry or awkward soundbite to serve the purpose of the segment: to embarrass and antagonize our players.

No wonder so many players don't want to play here, when the media pulls bush league stuff like this and some rabid fans actually support it. Glad to hear a vocal minority of people call this out what this is: total horse-*bleep*

I wish we had a Brooks Laich or Mike Knuble to call this guy out in front of his camera crew. Now that would have been a good soundbite.

Edit: Oh, and I'll save whoever quotes this the time: "What's total horse-*bleep* is how this team has played." Har-dee-freakin'-har.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:04 AM
llamateizer

wow

thoses are sharks reporters

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

Quote:
I'm not being protective, and absolutely they should receive blame. But that certainly doesn't involve putting them on the spot to answer team matters, and certainly not to give a direct message to the fans.

The team has said many times that the players need to play better. The team has given the answer. But to go to a player and try and put them on the spot to address the fans? That is not acceptable, and the players handled it perfectly.
The coach and GM have tried to answer the question. Carlyle doesn't know what else to do with these guys to get them motivated. They need to do it themselves, the attitude needs to change. It's all on the players and I'm not sure what you don't see. Is he suppose to get the whole team together and go, alright guys, what the hell? No. He can't do that. So he has to go to them individually and get some answers.