HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Non-Sharks NorCal Sports Thread 15

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
I can't believe a sports team can be sold for that much. I wonder what the most expensive franchise is? The Yankees? The Cowboys?
The Cowboys are the top franchise in North America.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...81-billion.ece

Quote:
The Cowboys sit atop the Forbes list as the most valuable North American sports franchise at $1.81 billion.

The value just went up.

Jerry Jones has no interest in selling the Cowboys. But if he did, the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers for $2 billion just sent his asking price through the Cowboys Stadium roof.

"They probably undervalued it (Cowboys worth) according to the market place here,'' Jones said of the Forbes estimate.

"I don't know how to get my mind or arms around that at all. It certainly wasn't something I might have had in mind when I got involved with the Cowboys and the team.

"It's impressive. It's very impressive.''

Old
03-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by likewall32 View Post
Maybe Texas instead of Oakland?

I understand the proximity-to-Japan/Japanese population in the Bay Area factor, but without Matsui, I see no draw for a pretty internationally unknown A's roster (minus the big name of Mr. Estrogen who obviously didn't make the trip).
I think now Texas may be a better draw than the A's, but if I'm correct Darvish had not made his decision when the teams were decided. Also, Texas wouldn't want to give up two home game's to go. The A's don't care about giving up home games because they make no money off ticket sales.

I think the MLB was looking for a team willing to sacrifice two home games, and that had some interest to the Japanese crowd. From what I have heard there are a decent amount of A's fans in Japan just because Matsui was on the team last year.

I honestly think it's stupid that they are going over there in the first place. Baseball is already the #1 sport in Japan, so it's not like you are trying to grow the game or anything. Bud Selig is just an idiot if you ask me.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
The Cowboys are the top franchise in North America.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...81-billion.ece
Yea I figured the Cowboys would be one of the tops, and also figured an NFL team had to be the most valuable. Even crappy teams in the NFL are worth upwards of $500 million. That league straight prints money.

They are probably closer to $2.5 billion now with that price for the Dodgers. Maybe even more. It's insane to think he bought them for $150 mil just 20 some odd years ago.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
I can't believe a sports team can be sold for that much. I wonder what the most expensive franchise is? The Yankees? The Cowboys?
Based on the most recent Forbes franchise valuation estimates:

Cowboys $1.85B
Yankees $1.7B
Redskins $1.55B
Dodgers $1.4B
Patriots $1.4B
NY Giants $1.3B

The highest previous franchise sale price was $1.1B for the Dolphins in 2009, the highest previous MLB sale was the Cubs @ $845M in 2009.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Based on the most recent Forbes franchise valuation estimates:

Cowboys $1.85B
Yankees $1.7B
Redskins $1.55B
Dodgers $1.4B
Patriots $1.4B
NY Giants $1.3B

The highest previous franchise sale price was $1.1B for the Dolphins in 2009, the highest previous MLB sale was the Cubs @ $845M in 2009.
Sounds like we should add 40% to all of those numbers then based on the Dodgers sale price. That would put the Cowboys at almost $3B. Yikes

Old
03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I wanted to watch. Disappointed they didn't have it on tv. 3am isn't a big deal for a season opener.
They're showing it live for the second game though. So, thats good

Old
03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

edit - whoops, wrong thread.

errr,, go giants.

Last edited by Shape: 03-28-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6989374.story

This counts as Nor-Cal sports. As a Pacific alum, and manager of the Men's Basketball Team when I was there (my first year/freshman year was Olowokandi's senior year, the biggest bust in NBA history), I am BEYOND thrilled that Pacific will be in the WCC starting in 13-14! UOP is finally in a league where it belongs: a bunch of small, private schools, not a league where everyone else is a public school.

Living in Texas, this means much more UOP Basketball on TV for me :-) Looking forward to developing rivalries with St. Mary's, USF, Zags, BYU and taking the UOP/Santa Clara rivalry to a new level!

GO TIGERS!!!!!
GO SHARKS!!!!!

Old
03-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Risky F
Don't Mess Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Cowboys $1.85B
Yankees $1.7B
Redskins $1.55B
Dodgers $1.4B
Patriots $1.4B
NY Giants $1.3B
one of these things is not like the other. So much money spent, and yet, they only have 3 playoffs wins since they won the superbowl in 1991.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky F View Post
one of these things is not like the other. So much money spent, and yet, they only have 3 playoffs wins since they won the superbowl in 1991.
What have the Cubs won in the last century? It doesn't determine the franchise value.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky F View Post
Come on, the a's and M's are not a national draw at all. Still a mistake by MLB
These games aren't meant to be a national draw, hence why they are played at 2 am in Tokyo.

They are 2 measly games meant for the fans of baseball in Japan. We all know you don't like the A's. Give it a rest.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:00 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
These games aren't meant to be a national draw, hence why they are played at 2 am in Tokyo.

They are 2 measly games meant for the fans of baseball in Japan. We all know you don't like the A's. Give it a rest.
If it's a token series for the Japanese, why screw over the A's by making them the home team for these games? When they played BOS in Japan a few years ago, same thing. I read articles then and now (Especially with Ichiro) about how the Japanese cheered for the other team big time.

I'm not an A's fan, but I don't think it's fair that the A's have now gone to Japan twice and have been the home team both times (thus taking away home games from local fans).

Old
03-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
If it's a token series for the Japanese, why screw over the A's by making them the home team for these games? When they played BOS in Japan a few years ago, same thing. I read articles then and now (Especially with Ichiro) about how the Japanese cheered for the other team big time.

I'm not an A's fan, but I don't think it's fair that the A's have now gone to Japan twice and have been the home team both times (thus taking away home games from local fans).
In the big picture, it's not a big deal. There really isn't much of a difference between 81 and 79 home games. The A's accept these games as home games for the revenue.

Last year, the Mariners actually played a 3-game series in Florida against the Marlins as a "home" series for them, due to Safeco being booked up and no spot for the series. This series won't have an effect on where the A's finish, either.

Old
03-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Old
03-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Clowe Me

Cespedes hits his 1st of many. Reddick and Gomes go deep as well.

Pretty much what I expected. Get shut down by King Felix and take the 2nd game.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Why can't they be a "home and home" so the A's keep a home game? That would make sense.

... oh wait, this is baseball under Bud Selig. Sorry for bringing common sense into the equation.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Why can't they be a "home and home" so the A's keep a home game? That would make sense.

... oh wait, this is baseball under Bud Selig. Sorry for bringing common sense into the equation.
I don't think it really matters if they take games away from Oakland. I really doubt that their owner cares about it and I'm sure there's some monetary benefit for him to go to Japan anyway.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:

Technically, this is a 4-game series. These 2 in Japan and the next 2 when the season opens up again.

It's only 2 games, and the A's agreed to it. It not really a big deal.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't think it really matters if they take games away from Oakland. I really doubt that their owner cares about it and I'm sure there's some monetary benefit for him to go to Japan anyway.
Being that they are A's home games, they get the ticket revenue.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Being that they are A's home games, they get the ticket revenue.
And whatever is, is likely better than the average home game Oakland will get this year so that's why it's done.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:00 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Stanford won the NIT championship! Way more exciting than losing in a play-in game. Probably the only team I follow that will win any kind of championship this year...

Old
03-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
And whatever is, is likely better than the average home game Oakland will get this year so that's why it's done.
Yep. And a free trip to Japan for the team and staff doesn't hurt.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Stanford won the NIT championship! Way more exciting than losing in a play-in game. Probably the only team I follow that will win any kind of championship this year...
Eww..

Old
03-30-2012, 10:10 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Man since this hockey season is a bust I really want this football season to start with all the movement the 49ers made!

Oh and that little thing called baseball but I only root for one team so let's see how well they do.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Kinda OTish, but is anyone familiar with the sizing #s that Majestic uses for authentic MLB jerseys? I tried looking at the size chart on their site but the measurements they use (particularly the chest measurement) doesn't make a lick of sense (measuring just the front of your chest instead of circumference? WTF?)

If I wear XL shirts and hockey jerseys and whatnot, does that mean I want a size 52 baseball jersey? I've contemplated finding a store around here to try on a jersey, but honestly I don't know a single place here that even sells MLB jerseys.

Thanks.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Closed Thread