HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 09:36 AM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
What did Roy say?
if they call me, i'll consider it

lame not worth the click

Old
03-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
A great mix would be Brisebois and McGuire. Though you have to make Brisebois the GM 'cause he won't move laterally and that's fine with me. With such an advisor as McGuire, that will help him in that department. Now, Molson will have to throw a lot of money towards those guys 'cause if he wants Pierre to be an assistant GM, the money better be there. Though McGuire could see this as a way to go back in the game so to have experience and be a GM one day.

I wouldn't mind that duo. I keep hearing Damphousse's name and I cringe. I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt but that's the only name I won't particularly agree with.

My prediction? Brisebois - GM, Damphousse Asst-GM.
I don't see the problem in bringing in Damphousse to gain some experience in a lesser role, but that's a pretty dangerous cocktail to have 2 guys with as little experience at the top of the front office.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:59 AM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

Farber: Handicapping the candidates for next GM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nhl_t11_a0
Quote:

Julien BriseBois (5-1): The Tampa Bay Lightning assistant GM used to run the Canadiens' farm club in Hamilton before going with the coach, Guy Boucher, to the Southeast Division. Gainey gave him exceptional latitude, so at least BriseBois has hands-on experience running an organization, even if it was an AHL outfit. He has done mostly contract work, but also some scouting. Weakness: He might be perceived as Gainey's guy.

Claude Loiselle (7-1)
: The Toronto Maple Leafs assistant has the most varied portfolio: long-time player, lawyer, league executive, doing contracts and running the AHL affiliate with Tampa Bay, scouting for Anaheim, again doing contracts and scouting as part of the deep Leafs front office. The Franco-Ontarian -- he still speaks French with his parents -- is 48, a perfect age for the position. Weakness: His profile. He is not widely known in the Montreal market although he has ties to Kevin Gilmore, the Canadiens' Chief Operating Officer.

Patrick Roy (7-1): Roy is the co-owner, GM and coach of the junior Quebec Remparts. Of all his hats, he seems to most enjoy putting on the coaching one at a rakish angle and admiring himself in the mirror. The Hall of Fame goalie might be a popular choice with the vox populi, but he might not be the strategic thinker. If Savard sticks around, he could be just the buffer the emotional Roy needs. Roy also would be a great "get" for Montreal if the NHL decides to move a franchise to Quebec City, where Roy would likely have a major role if/when the league returns to his hometown. Weaknesses: The leap to the NHL from juniors is like Evel Knievel going over 15 school buses. And Roy does not especially work well with others.

Pierre McGuire (9-1): Currently an NBC hockey analyst, he has personal ties to Molson. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of players. He has a background in coaching and scouting. He also has the requisite energy and enthusiasm for the job, which should be key elements. He speaks passable French. After interviewing in Minnesota and Tampa Bay in recent years, and losing out to Chuck Fletcher and Steve Yzerman respectively, he knows the GM drill. No one will outwork him. Indeed, Scotty Bowman, his mentor, endorsed McGuire months ago. Weaknesses: The excitable McGuire would be a popular choice among Anglophones, but this might mean he is not perceived as quite "French" enough. He also has yet to run an organization.

Blair Mackasey (15-1): The Minnesota Wild's director of professional scouting is an out-of-the-box candidate, but could be a strong one if the Canadiens do their homework. He played in the NHL -- one game, but still -- although he is best known as a scout with Phoenix, Canada's junior national team program, and now the Wild. He also coached junior hockey in the Quebec league. He is a solid hockey man, someone capable of building an organization. Mackasey is from the Anglophone-enclave of Montreal's West Island, but he is fluently bilingual. Weaknesses: His profile is low, and he is perceived as an Anglo.

Vincent Damphousse (25-1): The former Canadiens captain, now a talking head on the RDS network, covets the job and has some high profile support, especially from influential La Presse newspaper columnist François Gagnon. He was a vice-president of the NHLPA, under Trevor Linden, so he is familiar with the boardroom. Weaknesses: Woefully light on experience. Damphousse also is involved in the mother of bad breakups. In December, he will face six counts of assault against his estranged wife, Allana Henderson, who is due in court in June to face charges of assaulting Damphousse. The optics of Damphousse, at least initially, would widely be at odds with Molson's vision of the Canadiens as a paragon of class.

The Field (15-1): Like the airport scene from Casablanca, there are some usual suspects to round up: Guy Carbonneau, the former Montreal coach; Marc Bergevin, in his first year as an assistant GM in Chicago; former Avalanche GM François Giguère; agent Pat Brisson, and anyone else you can thing of who might be able to scale the Berlitz Wall.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1qc1xKNuE

Old
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
WestIslander

Damphousse will be the next GM, Julien Brisebois will be the assistant and Patrick Roy will be named the head coach that will also have power to veto player and roster decisions with the GM.

You heard it here first just like you heard from me that Cammalleri would be traded in the new year and was (during a game!).

Enjoy!

Old
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
llamateizer

I dont see why Brisson would become GM.

Could he be Agent and GM?
unless he want something new.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:10 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
wow the field is actually a pretty good bet...

Old
03-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Wow, so its a weakness for bilingual candidates to be PERCEIVED as anglo? That's depressing.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:13 AM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Damphousse will be the next GM, Julien Brisebois will be the assistant and Patrick Roy will be named the head coach that will also have power to veto player and roster decisions with the GM.

You heard it here first just like you heard from me that Cammalleri would be traded in the new year and was (during a game!).

Enjoy!
thank you, Nostradamus.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I doubt Julien Brisebois would make a lateral move from Tampa to Montreal to be an assistant GM. They should hire him as GM and get him an assistant GM with scouting experience.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

The fact people seriously consider Damphousse as a serious candidate option scares me...

Old
03-30-2012, 10:27 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The fact people seriously consider Damphousse as a serious candidate option scares me...
Yeah really, what is this all of a sudden? Is Damphousse paying people to talk him up? What credentials does he have outside of his RDS gig?

Old
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah really, what is this all of a sudden? Is Damphousse paying people to talk him up? What credentials does he have outside of his RDS gig?
None other than being in NHLPA with Linden. I don't get the reasoning behind him being mentioned.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
onice

My choices have been narrowed down to:

Marc Bergevin
Francois Giguere
Dave Tallon
Pierre McGuire
Blair Mackasey
Doug Reisborough

(TSN claim that Tallon & Reisborough speak French.)

And the Habs should really get two or more of those candidates.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
My choices have been narrowed down to:

Marc Bergevin
Francois Giguere
Dave Tallon
Pierre McGuire
Blair Mackasey
Doug Reisborough

(TSN claim that Tallon & Reisborough speak French.)

And the Habs should really get two or more of those candidates.
If he gets it I'm going to suffer a nervous breakdown.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Aeneas

cant see damphousse as GM...asst GM to BriseBois maybe... My votes go to BriseBois or Tallon

edit: also having BriseBois as GM although he is more of a cap guy..having Roy as HC w/ ability to more say in player personnel would work well in terms of assessing and bringing in talent

Last edited by Aeneas: 03-30-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: extra point on roy
Old
03-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Ginu

I want the best in the league. Get Nill/Tallon, get Mackasey and Pierre McGuire. Those 3 would be fantastic -

Nill brings the exact model that we need in Montreal from Detroit for the management team. The only other guy I'd want here is Dave Tallon;

Mackasey has extensive knowledge with Hockey Canada and is a Director of Professional Scouting with for Minnesota, a hockey town; and,

McGuire knows more about players from all over the world than anyone else in the NHL and he's from Montreal. You can't beat that trio. If you want to add Damphousse and those guys after that, fine, but you need that environment first.

The others?

Brisebois is a numbers guy - he lacks the NHL GM knowledge;

Damphousse has no experience; and,

Brisson likely won't move from LA and leave as agent of Sidney Crosby.

Behind the bench, I'd put Roy, Robinson and Cunneyworth together.

With that group, you'd see results. I really hope we go with a think tank type management team. The fans would really trust their decisions. As Pierre LeBrun said, there's no salary cap on management.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Why is Trevor Timmons getting no love? Especially if Savard can be the buffer/assistant? Timmons is going to be an elite GM eventually, might as well put him on the fast track rather than lose him. He could be the Habs Anthopoulos.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post

Behind the bench, I'd put Roy, Robinson and Cunneyworth together.
I like this !

Old
03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Why is Trevor Timmons getting no love? Especially if Savard can be the buffer/assistant? Timmons is going to be an elite GM eventually, might as well put him on the fast track rather than lose him. He could be the Habs Anthopoulos.
wouldnt mind a promotion to asst GM, if we can keep him where he is while improving FO would be best though

Old
03-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
I like this !
You have Cunneyworth who knows the players and the guys in Hamilton. He knows what we need. He was instrumental in getting us to play a more rugged style. He started that paradigm shift.

Patrick Roy is the fiery guy. The French coach that has gained experience and detests losing passionately.

Robinson is the cool, calm and collected foil for Roy. He takes our young defensemen under his wing.

You can't beat that trio either.

Put that with Nill / Tallon, McGuire and Mackasey upstairs and you have a winner.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
If he gets it I'm going to suffer a nervous breakdown.
That and Damphousse.

Old
Kid Dynomite

I want Claude Loiselle. His track record and experience look solid.

Old
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From what the media is saying, Jim Nill isn't being held back by the Red Wings, he just chooses not to leave them.

How are we supposed to lure him? I'd love nothing but give him 100% autonomy, and let him bring his own team in.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
I want Claude Loiselle. His track record and experience look solid.
There are at least 5 people better than Loiselle

Old
03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
From what the media is saying, Jim Nill isn't being held back by the Red Wings, he just chooses not to leave them.

How are we supposed to lure him? I'd love nothing but give him 100% autonomy, and let him bring his own team in.
Nill is with the Wings since 1994....

How come is not GM yet ? there or elsewhere ?

Maybe he just doesn't want to be a GM.

And what in hell would he be attracted by Montreal, the team, the city, the province ?

I just don't see him making that move.

Closed Thread