HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz - Part 2

Old
03-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Granted the Wild have been in freefall by the looks of it (Heatley might not crack 50 points despite a full season, Brodziak is the 2nd highest point-getter).

Is Gilbert in a long line of recently traded Oilers who are not seeing success? (Penner, Cogliano).
Total fail timing bump. In your title to post you say Gilbert has 2pts in his 14games with the Wild. Well thats wrong.

Gilbert got 2assists last night(hrs before your post, you're connected to the internet right?) and played a key role in leading his team to a dramatic come from behind victory.

With 30secs left in the game a very good Gilbert shot hits the post, bounces into the crease and its an easy wide open tap in for the tying goal.

On to OT and Gilbert has the puck deep in own zone, makes a read, pass not there, he waits, rags the puck, sets up, Koivu reads play, Gilbert hits him with a fantastic long timing pass right on his blade(through coverage) and Koivu walks in on a breakaway and scores the winning goal.

Yeah Gilbert can't hit a breakout pass to save his life.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
JustinCider

I like Tom, but he's not a top pairing dman. He's a bigger guy, but he doesn't really use his size, and he's OK offensively, but not great. These things don't make him bad, they just stop him from being a top pairing Dman. Schultz is a more stay at home guy, and something this team needed. As you can see, since the trade, they've both played 15 games....

T. Gilbert 0 Goals 4 Assists -4 8 PIM
N. Schultz 0 Goals 4 Assists +3 6 PIM

Not a whole lot of a difference there. Both teams got solid top 4 dmen, with different skill sets. I know Edmonton is happy. Both Edmonton and Minny are bad teams, so neither player has an excuse. I think Schultz is a good fit here. I also wish Tom the best, he was a solid Oiler.

JustinCider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Hey guys, just popping in to see how Schultz has been playing for you guys and what you think of him. I wasn't a huge fan of his when he played here with the Wild, but he was with the team for a long time and I thought he always played for the most part a solid defensive game.

Gilbert has looked equal if not better than Schultz did when he was here. I think the trade made sense for us because we needed a guy that would jump into the rush every now and then and maybe move the puck a little better than Schultz. Gilbert was the direct result of our game tying goal last night and sprung Koivu on a breakaway with a nice pass in OT. I've thought he hasn't looked out of place at all and he's not one to blame as far as our losing woes go. That's a whole other can of worms. One thing I really liked about Gilbert's game so far is that we could never keep the puck in at the points, he seems very good at that aspect and when to pinch, when to not pinch, etc. He's been one of our better defenseman (not that it's saying much with our blueline) since the trade.
Gilbert doesn't get nearly enough credit here for the bolded. On a team struggling with production(and we've had several versions of that in Gilberts time here) its a huge benefit to have a D that knows when to pinch, pressure the puck, carry the puck in etc, and its like having an extra forward to have that guy contributing to the cycle and puck possession. We've of course had some really bad teams here and people discount how much contribution Gilbert made with puck support. Doesn't always show up on the scoreboard but its always taking place in the games.

If you appreciate the bolded part then Gilbert will quietly give you a lot of that. Schultz has been doing that very welll here too so he's fitting into our D pinching game.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Hey guys, just popping in to see how Schultz has been playing for you guys and what you think of him. I wasn't a huge fan of his when he played here with the Wild, but he was with the team for a long time and I thought he always played for the most part a solid defensive game.

Gilbert has looked equal if not better than Schultz did when he was here. I think the trade made sense for us because we needed a guy that would jump into the rush every now and then and maybe move the puck a little better than Schultz. Gilbert was the direct result of our game tying goal last night and sprung Koivu on a breakaway with a nice pass in OT. I've thought he hasn't looked out of place at all and he's not one to blame as far as our losing woes go. That's a whole other can of worms. One thing I really liked about Gilbert's game so far is that we could never keep the puck in at the points, he seems very good at that aspect and when to pinch, when to not pinch, etc. He's been one of our better defenseman (not that it's saying much with our blueline) since the trade.
Not going to speak for all Oiler fans but so far (still early, mind you) it seems like it might be a decent hockey trade for both teams. As you know, Schultz isn't flashy and won't even really stand out but for him that's a good thing. He never tries to do too much and he rarely seems to be out of position, great defender against the rush. Playing with Whitney has kind of masked the blemishes of Whitney's defensive game due to his lack of mobility out there (due to injury) and he has quietly been a solid dman for us. Hopefully Petry can continue to develop because without his rapid emergence I think we would really miss Gilbert's passing and skating ability on the back end. At the time I wasn't crazy about the trade but right now is seems to be working out for both teams.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:

For me I have to say better than advertised. He is one of those guys that plays a simple yet effective game.

I was however expecting him to be like Jason Smith when it came to making passes out of the zone, but he is actually not that bad.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
I like Tom, but he's not a top pairing dman. He's a bigger guy, but he doesn't really use his size, and he's OK offensively, but not great. These things don't make him bad, they just stop him from being a top pairing Dman. Schultz is a more stay at home guy, and something this team needed. As you can see, since the trade, they've both played 15 games....

Not a whole lot of a difference there. Both teams got solid top 4 dmen, with different skill sets. I know Edmonton is happy. Both Edmonton and Minny are bad teams, so neither player has an excuse. I think Schultz is a good fit here. I also wish Tom the best, he was a solid Oiler.
I agree.

That said...too much of this this thread is all about pettiness.

Look...Gilbert did this so that proves I am right.
Look, Shultz did this better than Gilbert so therefore I must be right.

Good grief.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:54 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post

I think Schultz' +/- has really been helped by the team's hot streak.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Total fail timing bump. In your title to post you say Gilbert has 2pts in his 14games with the Wild. Well thats wrong.

Gilbert got 2assists last night(hrs before your post, you're connected to the internet right?) and played a key role in leading his team to a dramatic come from behind victory.

With 30secs left in the game a very good Gilbert shot hits the post, bounces into the crease and its an easy wide open tap in for the tying goal.

On to OT and Gilbert has the puck deep in own zone, makes a read, pass not there, he waits, rags the puck, sets up, Koivu reads play, Gilbert hits him with a fantastic long timing pass right on his blade(through coverage) and Koivu walks in on a breakaway and scores the winning goal.

And I'd like to say thanks to Tom for helping our draft cause by engineering a Minny win!

03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And I'd like to say thanks to Tom for helping our draft cause by engineering a Minny win!
Yeah, I made that same exact comment in the OOT game thread. Gilbert significantly helped our cause with that win.

Once an Oiler always an Oiler?

Old
03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Philly85
Moody'

good riddance Tom Gilbert enough about the guy already.

and the thing about pinching, that used to be one of his weak points, guy got caught consistently and beat on the rush/in a foot race. he improved upon that this season though.

what's done is done, the guy is gone, Schultz has clearly been a much steadier presence than Gilbert. I just like the guy more. You don't notice him, virtually at all.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
sandhu111

Gilbert is not very good at any one thing.. his shot is average at best and he doesn't use it enough.. his passing is average-to good.. his defensive play is all over the place some night he will be rock solid on other nights he is a wreck in his own zone and its scary to watch.. Schultz is a Defensive D-Man and hes very good at it and he plays to the best of his abilities hes steady and reliable back there i don't get that sense of panic as i would when u see gilbert trying to get the puck out of the zone.. im not trying to hype Schultz because we have him now and trying to bash gilbert i was never a fan or hater of him gilbert but thats just how i see it

sandhu111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Yeah, I made that same exact comment in the OOT game thread. Gilbert significantly helped our cause with that win.

Once an Oiler always an Oiler?
I feel kind of bad for him TBH, go from a crap team that's just about ready to take the next step to a team that is on the way down. He must be like "what the hell? I've already seen this movie and it sucks!".

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
sandhu111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I feel kind of bad for him TBH, go from a crap team that's just about ready to take the next step to a team that is on the way down. He must be like "what the hell? I've already seen this movie and it sucks!".
yeah eh that sucks well i guess it helps that hes going home

sandhu111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

I remember a player named Cogliano led Edmonton to three straight dramatic OT wins. How's that working out for Cogs career?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Asher

Quote:

I'm kinda surprised at the attempts to criticize Gilbert's play since joining the Wild. I admit I've not watched any games but I've checked out the Wild board a few times and most fans seem pretty happy with him. I've also looked at several boxscores and in every game I've looked at Gilbert was near or leading the Wild in icetime. I realize this is a bad team with a weak defense corp but if Gilbert was really playing so poorly does anyone honestly believe he'd be leading his team in icetime?

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I'm kinda surprised at the attempts to criticize Gilbert's play since joining the Wild. I admit I've not watched any games but I've checked out the Wild board a few times and most fans seem pretty happy with him. I've also looked at several boxscores and in every game I've looked at Gilbert was near or leading the Wild in icetime. I realize this is a bad team with a weak defense corp but if Gilbert was really playing so poorly does anyone honestly believe he'd be leading his team in icetime?
The fact is and still remains that the move was a lateral one for both teams. A move that both teams should be happy about. It addressed a need for the Oilers and addresses a need for the Wild.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:40 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
The fact is and still remains that the move was a lateral one for both teams. A move that both teams should be happy about. It addressed a need for the Oilers and addresses a need for the Wild.
Bingo. Not all trades have clear cut winners and losers.

JustinCider is online now   Reply With Quote