HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 unrestricted free agents

Old
03-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
We're paying Gorges top 4 money no? Because that's what Garrisson is.
well you may be right - I have only noticed him to be a big shot.

His stats say he is a +6 and FLA is collectively -20 (Hey that's worse than us). So maybe he is worth a long look.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post

His stats say he is a +6 and FLA is collectively -20 (Hey that's worse than us). So maybe he is worth a long look.
He's pretty good defensivly in addition to having a cannon of a shot.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post

See my edit. He's been good for awhile, just getting lucky offensively this year.
No one knew who he was before that, not because he wasn't good but because he's like Florida's Josh Gorges and since Florida gets less press than Montreal, nobody cares about Florida's Josh Gorges.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Stoll is not a top 6 player so he wouldn't take away icetime from those players.

Their top 2 centers would be Kopitar and Richards.
Top 4 wingers would be Gagne, Carter, Brown, Williams.

Then they have Penner, Stoll, Richardson, Clifford + others for the bottom 6
Stoll is UFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Is Doan UFA this summer ?
Yes

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He's pretty good defensivly in addition to having a cannon of a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
See my edit. He's been good for awhile, just getting lucky offensively this year.
No one knew who he was before that, not because he wasn't good but because he's like Florida's Josh Gorges and since Florida gets less press than Montreal, nobody cares about Florida's Josh Gorges.
Well... the more you know, for me.

He will probably get a lot of offers after this year. Good year to be him. He could be looking at 5.5 per.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
New GM will prolly sign PA Parenteau because he'll be pushed by Molson and Savard to get more frenchies.

I wouldnt mind Parenteau tho.
And that would be a great move. PA is from Hull, decent size, probably would sign around $3M. Perfect fit on the 2nd line. I don't mind seeking out local guys as long as they are quality players and PA fits the bill.

Now, they have to talk to Bourque and see what's wrong with him. If he's not injured and that's the best he can do then ship him out.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:42 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
Anyone else think that LA can afford to give up a center? Now they have Carter, Richards, and Kopitar, Stoll, Loktionov, etc., looks like a icetime logjam.
Those top three will need ice time to be effective. Would they consider parting with Kopitar now? Pleks as their third line center? Giving up a cap hit of $6.8 mill for $5, plus we give them a prospect/d-man/pick. Slightly weaker at the center position for LA, but they get more cap room + effective two way center + whatever else we throw in. We get a first line center who is young & big, plus our first pick this year + maybe Parise this summer, and our top two lines look pretty good.
Fantasy is so much better than reality. If they struggle in the playoffs this year, I could see something like this happening.
Good idea...I never noticed Kings situation before. I would move the pick for Kopitar

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
PricePkPatch

If you draft Grigo, trade Plek's to Washington for Semin's rights and Hamrlik. You just got back your perfect depth Defenseman and a top winger while clearing up cap space.

Move Eller to be the shutdown line, give the 3rd to Leblanc or Grigo. Try to go after Radulov as well.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:01 AM
yianik

I like Grossman as well, huge guy, is only 27, hits alot and plays close to 19 minutes a game. Solid defensive defenceman.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
If you draft Grigo, trade Plek's to Washington for Semin's rights and Hamrlik. You just got back your perfect depth Defenseman and a top winger while clearing up cap space.

Move Eller to be the shutdown line, give the 3rd to Leblanc or Grigo. Try to go after Radulov as well.
I'm glad you're not GM.

Wow...that deal should rival the Roy and Gomez trades...trade Plekanec for Semin's right(worth a 4th or 5th rounder) and Hamrlik(a guy who is a healthy scratch a lot with Washingston and has no value or negative value).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I like Grossman as well, huge guy, is only 27, hits alot and plays close to 19 minutes a game. Solid defensive defenceman.
I think he might be our best option. I doubt Phillie can afford to keep him plus he probably won't cost as much as Jackman and he is bigger.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
trade Plek's to Washington for Semin's rights and Hamrlik
Unless Semin resigns, that would be a stupid move.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Even if he does, his rights are not worth a fortune. Definitely not worth trading Plekanec for.

Bouwmeester was traded for a 3rd a few years back, Wisniewski for a 5th.

I would trade a 4th for Semin's right if I thought I had a good chance of signing him.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:36 AM
MM425

Translating Gomez's salary into Parise's salary would be very nice...

New GM will want to make some sort of a splash. Its not a great UFA year but I'd expect him to be active post July 1.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Paul Gaustad.

He can win faceoffs. He has been used in a shutdown role. He can fight. He can put up points, as well.

Jay Garrison is 27 and just came out of nowhere.

Anyone who signs him will be making a mistake. Unless of course it's like 1 mill...

Whomever said to trade Plekanec for Semin's rights and Hamrlik is an idiot.

What's with all this Radulov love ? Our only big signing/trade/news will probably be whomever we draft in the 1st.

Everyone here knows this.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'll offer $10M per to Parise and $8M per to Suter, just in case. But still not expect to get them.

With that fantasy attempt out of the way, I'd make sure to have a very solid option behind Suter on the D as my first priority. The names already mentioned like Jackman, Allen, Stuart, and Garrison are all worth thinking about. I think we *NEED* a guy we can rely on for top-4 minutes, and any size or snarl he brings is a bonus (hence added value on Jackman and Allen, say). But you know in the UFA world you're going to have to overpay to the tune of $4-5M per just to get one of these middle-roster guys. We can afford it, so be it.

Not a fan of looking at Semin. I know he has the great gamebreaking talent and all, but I think we just have to look for the character element as well. Not get lured in or feel desperate enough to spend big money on the partial package. We've done that before and it hasn't exactly worked.

Another name up front for me would be Brandon Prust. I imagine he'll be very content to stay in New York with the year they're having there and all. But anyway, as long as we're throwing out names/player types for our needs.

Shane O'Brien is always on the radar for me too, but just not in the category I mentioned above. He's not good enough for top-4 minutes, of course. But if we're building a defense that is 8 deep (and I think we should), then I'd support adding him in. Gorges-Subban, Markov-UFA, Emelin/Diaz/O'Brien/other would be my target 8 (where other is basically a battle between St-Denis, Weber, and the lingering possibility of still being stuck with Kaberle).

I think it's a key UFA year for the team. I count it as a major failing in Gauthier's tenure that he really didn't fully address our needs there last summer. He did get a homerun in Cole. But left the D too thin, and never addressed the lower forward depth issues, all seemingly obvious items that we here bemoaned for months on end. The new GM has to do better. And overstocking is better than understocking when it comes to the attrition rates and injury risks of the modern NHL.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 03-30-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Paul Gaustad.

He can win faceoffs. He has been used in a shutdown role. He can fight. He can put up points, as well.

Jay Garrison is 27 and just came out of nowhere.

Anyone who signs him will be making a mistake. Unless of course it's like 1 mill...

Whomever said to trade Plekanec for Semin's rights and Hamrlik is an idiot.

What's with all this Radulov love ? Our only big signing/trade/news will probably be whomever we draft in the 1st.

Everyone here knows this.
Unless you're talking about his goal scoring touch you're wrong. He always been really good defensivly.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
donghabs98

any chance on Doan?

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
any chance on Doan?
No not really, he'll either stay in PXN or somwhere near it.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:43 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Conditional to Semin not signing to Montreal, we would get a draft pick in return. Something like a 2nd or a 1st.

Duh, trading rights always have conditional clause. I thought it would be implied such a deal would also include it.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
The UFA I would want is Ryan Suter.

It would take a hell of a sell job but anything is possible.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Hamrlik(a guy who is a healthy scratch a lot with Washingston and has no value or negative value).

Hamrlik really did that bad with Washington? If thats the case, scratch my idea. I apparently held the curious notion he did very well over there.

I was just looking for a way to kill two birds with one stone.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
The UFA I would want is Ryan Suter.

It would take a hell of a sell job but anything is possible.
No, Parise is way more needed.

... I can't wait to see how Suter plays without Weber... He'll be one of the biggest albatros contract in the NHL next year.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'll offer $10M per to Parise and $8M per to Suter, just in case. But still not expect to get them.

With that fantasy attempt out of the way, I'd make sure to have a very solid option behind Suter on the D as my first priority. The names already mentioned like Jackman, Allen, Stuart, and Garrison are all worth thinking about. I think we *NEED* a guy we can rely on for top-4 minutes, and any size or snarl he brings is a bonus (hence added value on Jackman and Allen, say). But you know in the UFA world you're going to have to overpay to the tune of $4-5M per just to get one of these middle-roster guys. We can afford it, so be it.

Not a fan of looking at Semin. I know he has the great gamebreaking talent and all, but I think we just have to look for the character element as well. Not good lured in or feel desperate enough to spend big money on the partial package. We've done that before and it hasn't exactly worked.

Another name up front for me would be Brandon Prust. I imagine he'll be very content to stay in New York with the year they're having there and all. But anyway, as long as we're throwing out names/player types for our needs.

Shane O'Brien is always on the radar for me too, but just not in the category I mentioned above. He's not good enough for top-4 minutes, of course. But if we're building a defense that is 8 deep (and I think we should), then I'd support adding him in. Gorges-Subban, Markov-UFA, Emelin/Diaz/O'Brien/other would be my target 8 (where other is basically a battle between St-Denis, Weber, and the lingering possibility of still being stuck with Kaberle).

I think it's a key UFA year for the team. I count it as a major failing in Gauthier's tenure that he really didn't fully address our needs there last summer. He did get a homerun in Cole. But left the D too thin, and never addressed the lower forward depth issues, all seemingly obvious items that we here bemoaned for months on end. The new GM has to do better. And overstocking is better than understocking when it comes to the attrition rates and injury risks of the modern NHL.
Parise is a very good player, but at 10 mil per year you'd be seriously handicappy your ability to build a winner. Maybe if it's 5 years at 10 mil then a couple low years at thend to bring the cap hit to Gomez level(7-7.5) I could live with that. If you have to pay him 50 mil over 5 years you are just shooting yourself in the foot Gomez/Cammalleri style.

Suter same situation. He is an excellent d-man but 8 mil/year is a lot unless you can add a few years to reduce the acp hit to about 6.5.

I think either guy is a longshot when you're at the bottom of the conference, but I'd kick tires on both with a front loaded offer(as long as Molson is ok with that and waiving Gomez to clear the cap room).

Old
03-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
No, Parise is way more needed.

... I can't wait to see how Suter plays without Weber... He'll be one of the biggest albatros contract in the NHL next year.
Seeing how good he was before he got paired with Weber and how Weber looked without him or Hamhuis I think you couldn't be more wrong.