HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CTV Interview Revisited

Old
03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Leafsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
The team still lost. We never had any amazing winning streaks this year. But we were able to put wins together and actually play some hockey. The team showed it cared and played up to snuff. However, they still had games where we looked lost, and didn't play like we cared. They showed glimpses of a bad team while they were winning..
The fact that we had no incredibly long win streaks actually gives me a sense that this losing streak was a magnified abnormality. If we go by the premise "not as good as best win streak or bad as worst lose streak" then it actually looks promising as our losing streak was waaaaay longer than our winning streak. I'm not saying they are the team we saw in the earlier season but I'm far from writing that team off! That team showed it was a young team that needed an injection of heart and character. I think they got caught without neccessary leadership from vets. You can pin it all on Phaneuf but I'm going to pin it on the vets that shoudl of led this team but sat in the pressbox - Komi, Armstrong, and the like. I think a Mike Zigomanis woudl've been a good cahracter guy and playing Orr and Rosie more also!

It's so quickly forgotten that we had a coaching change in this slump which makes it different from a normal losing streak. This team is not the team we saw earlier but far from the team we saw later!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
How do you ask that question to Schenn?? The players should NEVER have to answer to that type of a question. They can take responsibility for their team's struggles.. but an "I'm sorry you paid 450$ tonight"??? WTF? The fans choose to buy tickets to the game, you can watch the game at home, you can watch it at a bar, you can also choose to support another team.

That's going too far...
No it isn't. Why do these athletes have to be treated with all the reverence and exaggerated respect when they've been a complete disgrace to the city and organization? They take the money and run and pay lip service to playing poorly but do nothing but run down the clock on the season. Good on Lance Brown for letting them know it isn't funny.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
The fact that we had no incredibly long win streaks actually gives me a sense that this losing streak was a magnified abnormality. If we go by the premise "not as good as best win streak or bad as worst lose streak" then it actually looks promising as our losing streak was waaaaay longer than our winning streak. I'm not saying they are the team we saw in the earlier season but I'm far from writing that team off! That team showed it was a young team that needed an injection of heart and character. I think they got caught without neccessary leadership from vets. You can pin it all on Phaneuf but I'm going to pin it on the vets that shoudl of led this team but sat in the pressbox - Komi, Armstrong, and the like. I think a Mike Zigomanis woudl've been a good cahracter guy and playing Orr and Rosie more also!

It's so quickly forgotten that we had a coaching change in this slump which makes it different from a normal losing streak. This team is not the team we saw earlier but far from the team we saw later!
The only truth is in the standings and they're piss poor. No excuses for this group. They are as bad as they look and their propensity for being blown out shows they lack the focus and self respect to fight through adversity.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
No it isn't. Why do these athletes have to be treated with all the reverence and exaggerated respect when they've been a complete disgrace to the city and organization? They take the money and run and pay lip service to playing poorly but do nothing but run down the clock on the season. Good on Lance Brown for letting them know it isn't funny.
Actually, every Maple Leaf player is required to do (and happily does) great things in the community for people who actually have real problems to worry about. They are not a disgrace and deserve all the respect a regular human being would be awarded in their profession.

No other players on even worse teams are required to assess their own performance to the public, nor should they.

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The only truth is in the standings and they're piss poor. No excuses for this group. They are as bad as they look and their propensity for being blown out shows they lack the focus and self respect to fight through adversity.
Then Edmonton's ####ED!!!!!!!

Old
03-30-2012, 11:17 AM
deleteme
Leafs for cup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
If you don't like the product, don't pay to see it. Take YOUR hard earned money and spend it on something else.
What tells you this is not what I do? And what does it has to do with the question at hand being that the reporter was too harsh on the players?

deleteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post
Actually, every Maple Leaf player is required to do (and happily does) great things in the community for people who actually have real problems to worry about. They are not a disgrace and deserve all the respect a regular human being would be awarded in their profession
This, people need to gain some perspective, it seeant people want these guys grilled like they caused the global financial meltdown or the BP spill.

Visiting kids in the hospital, helping with reading programs, "you can play". These things matter, and if you think otherwise, it's your character that needs to be questioned, not the players.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Rinks View Post
I know we all say it about star free agents and all that crap, but would ANYONE want to put themselves into this? Not a chance. Kiss Schultz goodbye when he sees this. Kiss Parise goodbye. If I was an agent my player wouldn't even answer toronto's call.
I totally agree with this and I'm surprised more people can't grasp the concept of why some players have ZERO desire to come and play in Toronto.

I'm also surprised that more players that are here don't ask for trades to go play elsewhere. Why not just say eff it, and go play where it's warm all year.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Leaf4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post
Brian Burke will address them at the end of the season. Not sure why you think the players will have better answers than management.

You don't want to hear their answers, you want to make them suffer. And that is just sick.
Ok, these guys get paid $10,000-$15,000 A DAY to play a sport. And you are saying that having to answer a couple of tough questions is too harsh?? Hahahaha

Leaf4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Stephen

Hogwash that we need to treat these guys with kid gloves so UFAs will come here. These guys get treated like kings 99.9% of the time they're here. Heaven forbid they are held accountable for their lousy play.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Edmonton puts up a fight. They may suck, but at least there's effort.
NOPE!!! According to people standings are the only way to evaluate a team!

Edmonton sucks worse than Toronto and is ####ED!! End of story!

Old
03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Stephen

Yeah Edmonton is terrible how is that not accurate?

Old
03-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
The culture will change via the draft.

0once we land 2 or 3 top end picks in a row graduate them to the ahl. Disperse the bums at the acc who don"t deserve their jobs via lack of talent or lack of a desire to win it all

Leaf Lander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:14 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
I don't understand how you guys are actually defending the players here. Those questions should have been asked weeks ago, maybe years ago. This is one of the reasons they get paid the big dollars.

Welcome to the real world!
Says the guy on masquerading on an internet forum as fictional TV character.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
RASHBEEP

think that reporter tried a little too hard to get a rise out of the players

RASHBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:24 PM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf4Life View Post
Ok, these guys get paid $10,000-$15,000 A DAY to play a sport. And you are saying that having to answer a couple of tough questions is too harsh?? Hahahaha
Would you tolerate a homeless guy punching you in the face? I'm assuming you make quite a bit more money than they do.

The amount of money they make does not make that journalism any less slimy.

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:33 PM
blackcharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I liked parts of the interview but I don't like how he went after Schenn, Gardiner and Kessel.

Schenn is a hard-working guy who is pure class, he has been playing bad but he at least tries every game and is one of the few players who actually stands up for his teammates. He has taken accountability before and has said before that he is sorry for the fans. He's a young player, why is he being brought into the fire to answer these questions?

Jake Gardiner, he has played great and has been one of the only players who has actually looked somewhat good in the Leafs terrible 20+ stretch of games. He has exceeded all expectations this year and is just a rookie. Why the HELL is he being asked those questions?

Kessel? He's not a spotlight/camera guy and he's been the team's best player all year. He set new career highs and played the best hockey of his career. It is far from his fault, sure he shares some of the blame for not scoring much in these recent struggles but he is still the team's MVP by a mile.

Phaneuf I can understand because he is the captain and plays lazy sometimes.

Even Gustavsson, that question was pretty ********.

Players like Connolly, Armstrong, MacArthur need to be questioned. The so called veterans and leaders on this team. These are the guys that should be put in the hot seat to answer these questions.

It's refreshing to see this approach, but the players who don't contribute much and show no passion are the ones who should be questioned. Management should be questioned. Not young guys like Schenn and Gardiner and the team's MVP.
There lies the problem.the players that should be questioned about their performance are no where to be seen,on the ice or in the media.The veteran guys are supposed to set an example for the kids and instead are hiding behind them.

blackcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:01 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Now THAT would be unprofessional. We dont need another reporter who'll state his worthless opinion and say something like, "I don't think you're fit to Captain this team." I am glad he tried to hold Phaneuf accountable, see what the Captain thinks, but I feel bad for Schenn. Phaneuf failed miserably again during the interview. He's beginning to look more and more like a sieve to me
He gave his opinion on Dion's suitability for captain. The least he could have done was tell Dion straight to his face what he thought instead of hide like Dion is going to beat him up and take his lunch money.He was a punk, if he had any courage he would have told him what he thought since he did so already. I hate gutless cowards who hide behind a tv camera but when someones up close they turtle up. Its the same thing with morons on the internet. Racist,sexist,crazy morons who send death threats since there are no repercussions of what they say because no one is there to respond to them.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:07 PM
TheTotalPackage

Just caught this now.

I was shocked by the questions, but I think that's because it is extremely rare for a reporter to actually have the guts to ask them those types of questions than the generic ones. It was refreshing to see to be honest. Harsh, but deserving.

Lance Brown came across as a passionate fan, just like us here, who asked a bunch of questions we wish we had the opportunity to do so.

The exchange with Phaneuf was a tad extreme. It was correct to ask it, but I would have totally understood if Phaneuf snapped on him.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
Who is this guy? What is his name?

Saying "crap" on a broadcast shows he is trying too hard to get noticed... Trying to make a name for himself..l
im sure someone else pointed this out, but that is lance brown. He is the main sports anchor for ctv news in Tdot, and CTV news has been the #1 local broadcast in the toronto area for as long as i can remember. He is also probably the longest serving mainstream news sports anchor in toronto, though i could be completely wrong on that point. He has done sports for a long time now. He is not trying to make a name for himself.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:47 PM
anderson3133

The guy was an imbecile. He was too scared to tell Dion that he was a bad captain, even though he proudly made such a statement when he was no longer in ear shot.

When Dion asked him if he thought he was a bad captain all he could muster up was a "well you tell me Dion, your record...".

If you're going to masquerade as a hard-hitting journalist and make certain claims about people, don't act friendly in the opposing person's presence like a *****.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
How do you ask that question to Schenn?? The players should NEVER have to answer to that type of a question. They can take responsibility for their team's struggles.. but an "I'm sorry you paid 450$ tonight"??? WTF? The fans choose to buy tickets to the game, you can watch the game at home, you can watch it at a bar, you can also choose to support another team.

That's going too far...
If I paid $100 to go see a band play and they came out, mailed it in for three songs and left the stage, I think I'd have every right to complain and expect an apology, even if the band members themselves weren't solely responsible for the price of tickets.

Apparently Carlyle held another closed-doors meeting with the players earlier this week, with the basic message being that, despite missing the playoffs, the team needed to play the rest of these games for the fans. They then went on to lose 7-1 in an effortless contest with the Flyers, and now everyone's crying because the media/fanbase are too hard on them. Give me a break. We're not too hard on them, they're too easy on themselves.

"I dunno, HAHA."

Last edited by Kyle Doobas*: 03-30-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
RAGINGxPONY

I liked it. It was an entertaining segment with entertaing questions and responses and that's all we can ask for. Entertainment.
Don't understand why you people are complaining, would you rather watch Paul Hendrick ask a generic question and get a generic response ? That's not very entertaining.
And really are you people worried about the players feelings? I think they'll get over it

RAGINGxPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:03 PM
CellarDweller0

All this team did is make it harder on themselves next year. Let's face it, even if they start winning I doubt that as many fans would be so ready to jump back on the bandwagon again as they were this year.

So imagine, they are winning, and all the sarcastic "they'll blow it after January" type comments will be circulating around the media circuits. It's tough now that they are losing but it won't be much easier or as easy at it was this year, if they start off winning.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

I think the heavy media pressure and stupid questions like these are part of the problem why its so hard for Toronto to attract top UFAs despite Burkes own rules.

Maybe your management should do what the Wings have done playing the no nonsense card with the media and let players shy away from it without forcing them? Not trying to troll you guys just a honest solution which could help your young team in the long run.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote