HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Kovalev NHL return?

View Poll Results: Would you give a invite to Kovalev for next year's training camp?
Yes 113 38.97%
No 177 61.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-25-2012, 07:16 AM
SnapVirus

vCash: 500
Brisebois

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:57 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweenie View Post
His best years are behind him. I would much rather have young, strong two way wingers on the third line. While Kovalev is possibly the most supreme talent to play for this team in my lifetime, his effort level from game to game was very inconsistent when he was here, which is the last thing I want on a checking line. It's a romantic idea to let the guy retire here, but I just don't see where he would fit in aside from helping the PP.

For a tryout? It certainly can't hurt. Wouldn't be worried about the media. It's always a circus in Montreal and if it weren't to be focused on Kovy, it would be on whatever the GM did or didn't do about Gomez, what Moulson did or didn't do about the GM position, or whether or not the head coach is fluent in French.

He would be cheap, and would at best serve as a semi functional band aid for the powerplay, as well as give us an edge in the shootout, but if there is a more suitable player available for the bottom six come July 1st which there will be I say pass.

Of course there is always that marginal chance that he becomes the come back player of the year with someone else next year. If he does I'll eat my hat

I share the concerns, but we are talking about a tryout here . there was quite a bit of sarcasm in the post you quoted ... and at the same time, I think letting him make tryouts is a good way to either ''end it'' for him or never know there is still hope (that marginal chance your talking about) that he could be able to play a little role 5 on 5 and help the pp.

Modano to the wings, bertuzzi, recchi, jagr ... there are teams capable of squeezing the lemon and get the last couple of drops of genius from some players ... and now there is this one guy who helped carry the best PP in the league that desperately wants to come for a tryout ... ? why not ?

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Milhouse40

For the great years he gave us, and the facts that he never wanted to leave MTL....i'll give him the chance to retire in the jersey he loves the most.

Let's face it, i wouldn't sign him to play on the second line.....but he can do way more than the Palushaj, Blunden, Darche, Moen on a third line.

1- He would definitely help on the PP....and it's not like we got a good PP anyway.
2- Reunite him with Plek might help both of them

And in the end.....the guy got nothing else to prove.....he only wants to win and he opnly wants to play here. For one years, with a salary around the 2 millions.....i would be fine with it!

Washed up? We said the same thing about Jagr at 39......Kovy is 38!
And i can see a third line with Bourque (or Gallagher?) - Eller - Kovalev.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Toastman

Lets sign Yashin and Samsonov as well

Samsonov-Yashin-Kovalev

The floater line

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Habs13

He's been a lazy arse his whole carear - I was happy when he left and don't want him back. Not even at league minimum.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Garry Valk

In a heartbeat.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:19 AM
habitue*

This thread reminds me the one about renovating the old Forum and moving the team back in it....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
This thread reminds me the one about renovating the old Forum and moving the team back in it....

Oh Gawd! Don't remind me...

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Is Haberanos still around these days?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I'd consider giving him a training camp invite, really no harm... if he comes into camp motivated and in good shape he could help our PP for cheap and play third line at even strength. If he sucks then let him go back to Russia.
There would be harm. Media pressure - imagine all the interviews - then the comments on why we did not sign him over player X.... Angry protesters in front of the Bell Center....

Then, should you sign him as third liner ... when did this ever work with him ?

High risk, low reward move. Even to invite him to camp.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:17 PM
KingKovy

ABSOLUTELY.. If he makes the team give him 27 back as Bourque has been dirtying the jersey.. We would have been a WAY better team with him on our PP this year

KingKovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKovy View Post
ABSOLUTELY.. If he makes the team give him 27 back as Bourque has been dirtying the jersey.. We would have been a WAY better team with him on our PP this year
It would had been even better with Lafleur, Shutt, Robinson, Lemaire and Lapointe...

Please. Wake up from your dreams.

Old
03-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Jsweenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
I share the concerns, but we are talking about a tryout here . there was quite a bit of sarcasm in the post you quoted ... and at the same time, I think letting him make tryouts is a good way to either ''end it'' for him or never know there is still hope (that marginal chance your talking about) that he could be able to play a little role 5 on 5 and help the pp.

Modano to the wings, bertuzzi, recchi, jagr ... there are teams capable of squeezing the lemon and get the last couple of drops of genius from some players ... and now there is this one guy who helped carry the best PP in the league that desperately wants to come for a tryout ... ? why not ?
There might still be some magic left in that stick sure. And he was going to use the last of it somewhere I can see it being MTL. The idea of him coming for a tryout wouldn't worry me quite the same if there was a change in management. Gauthier hasn't done a horrible job in starting to change the complexion of the team but there have been a few moves (Kaberle, Campoli) that have me worrying about his level of patience. He was well liked here so if he comes to try out it will be publicized and fans will likely be excited by the possibility of a return and I wouldn't want that to be any kind of factor in him getting a contract. I don't think there is value any more in keeping sub par players around because of veteran status, history with the team or fan pressure.

He always played well in the playoffs here, and if he comes back and we make it next year it wouldn't surprise me to see him steal the show for a game or two in the post season, but I wouldn't expect much more than 10 goals 30 points from him at best, and I still think we can find a comparable player that will do the little things we need on a checking line.

Jsweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:33 AM
stubbadub

I say give him a chance at camp. Maybe he makes the team and makes the Russian connection a little stronger. Markov, Emelin, and maybe even Avtsin would all get super tight so that when Kovy leaves Emelin will know more English, will have a new contract, and maybe even more experience on the PP.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Harpo
Lyle forever

So, do we still want him, cause he's available:

"Selon le site Internet russe Hockeynaya pravda, Alex Kovalev a quitté l'équipe de l'Atlant Mytischi de la KHL.

L'attaquant vedette ne participera pas aux séries éliminatoires de la Coupe Gagarine.

Insatisfaite de son rendement, la direction de l'équipe a décidé de le libérer.

Kovalev a amassé 1 but et 5 passes en 22 matchs cette saison, en plus d'afficher un différentiel de -13."

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...bere-khl.shtml

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
So, do we still want him, cause he's available:

"Selon le site Internet russe Hockeynaya pravda, Alex Kovalev a quitté l'équipe de l'Atlant Mytischi de la KHL.

L'attaquant vedette ne participera pas aux séries éliminatoires de la Coupe Gagarine.

Insatisfaite de son rendement, la direction de l'équipe a décidé de le libérer.

Kovalev a amassé 1 but et 5 passes en 22 matchs cette saison, en plus d'afficher un différentiel de -13."

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...bere-khl.shtml
That sums it all.

Kovalev, on the other end, might want to move back to North America (USA or Canada) as a citizen, not as a hockey player (I hope).

Old
03-29-2012, 12:52 PM
JoeCool16

Of course! If he has any gas in the tank he shows it, if not then he gets released with no fuss.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Garry Valk

Kovalev for GM.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKovy View Post
Not that it's saying much but Kovalev might have a better season than Geoffrion and perhaps even than Bourque.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:12 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Not that it's saying much but Kovalev might have a better season than Geoffrion and perhaps even than Bourque.
He just got released from a KHL team. They LARAQUE'D him.

I don't think he'll be able to fit in the NHL. All he had was his physical abilities, now that he's older...

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Heh, forget this. Kovalev was terrible in Atlant and the only good option for him will be retirement.

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:42 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

i say bring him to camp,with the offer of 1 million if he can make it ....
play him on pp most of time ..IF he makes the team

try to sign Jagr offseason,and let them go out together

Kovy in Mtl might get 45-50 pts , which at this stage is fine for low money.

Last edited by Habaneros: 03-30-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:47 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i wouldn't want to play for the gangrene cup either.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:31 AM
habitue*

Almost 40%...

A unilingual GM + Kovalev back...

It makes my day.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:07 PM
the

I wouldn't mind having Kovalev back,even at his age he's still better then half the team

the is offline   Reply With Quote